Awoo.

What do you want to see in Episode 3?

Big Boss (legendsneverdie)

This is all I want...

-The speed booster/spring combos to be dangerously close to extinction.

-At least for Knuckles to appear alongside Sonic and Tails, with the option to create a co-op team with 2 of the 3 characters, each team having at least one unique move. Heck, maybe throw in a 4th character, like Amy or someone obscure, I dunno. I think it could be clever. Oh, and don't force Sonic to be the only primary character in the team; you should be able to play as Tails or Knuckles and have Sonic be the co-op partner, for example.

-The fucking 69 move definitely needs to be retooled so it doesn't completely break the game every time you use it.

-Blue Sphere-themed special stages, just because they were awesome. Heck, maybe even throw in some of the UFOs from the Special Stages from Sonic CD, just to further reference that title, it could put a unique spin on things.

-A solid conclusion to the Sonic 4 saga. Yeah, I think this should be the last game in this mini-series, just to give everything closure and to make sure they don't whore it out any more, considering a good chunk of the fan-base still hates it with a passion.

-Doomsday Dental Zone. Need I say more?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see them actually put as much effort into it as they did 20 years ago.

Make it a real sequel with real effort, or stop calling it Sonic 4 dammit!

Personally, I'd prefer it if they cancelled sonic 4 and made a new 2D game from the ground up with effort and love put into the game like the classics, or just stop this 2D stuff altogether, but if I had to say what I'd want from Episode 3, it'd be this:

*Get someone who knows a bit about level design. Episode 1 wasn't horrible in this regard but Episode 2 was shoddy in this department. If I want to go forward, I hold either the D-pad or the analog stick to the right, I don't just watch while springs and boosters carry me across. It'd be the equivelant of a Mario game where you use lifts instead of jumping...

*Bonus stages need to make a return; I'm not the person who goes about showing off a high score but it was always fun to go to the bonus stages and rack up rings and 1-ups or get a shield that you need without knowing what you'll end up with when you finish the stage. And don't rehash the old ones, make some new, inventive ones. Heck, even bringing back and fixing up Episode 1's cut levels such as Lost Labyrinth's mine cart could be ideal.

*More original tropes. White Park was a good trope whereas Sylvania Castle, despite looking quite nice, was really just Aquatic Ruin with a castle and a few new bits. Same with Oil Desert, it was Oil Ocean with a few desert themed setpieces. And sky fortress zone, which is Wing Fortress all over again. There's nothing in Sonic 4 Episode 2 that makes it feel new and fresh, it's relying on old hat. It's meant to be a sequel, so it should feature new and inventive designs; something that's not been done before, more new setpieces and gimmicks, etc. If an old trope is reused, make the level using it stand out, or mix two together, for example:

Metropolis + Wing Fortress = Flying Battery

Labyrinth + Chemical Plant = Hydrocity

You could end up with levels like Green Hill meets Marble, or Metropolis meets Star Light, or even get more creative than that.

*Special stages that aren't clones of old ones. I believe someone on Sonic Retro had the idea of basing special stages off of iPhone apps, that seems like a good idea, to me. Perhaps ones based on thinking rather than reflexes?

*Elemental shields; For some reason Sega or Dimps decided that Sonic 4 should forget that Sonic 3 ever happened and eliminate all new things it brought to the table. If I see the bog-standard shield on its own in a new game again, I'll, I'll... I don't know. I think there should be some new shields as opposed to just the Electric, Water and Fire shields, like an ice shield or a wind shield (no pun intended)

*Have Angel island involved, though preferably not for a whole episode. I don't believe there's a map of Angel island, or indeed any of the islands that have been a part of the Sonic series, and so there's nothing stopping them from adding more levels to the place. Part 1 of Red mountain is on Angel island and yet wasn't in Sonic 3. The main reason why I'd want Angel island to play a part, is because Sonic 4, assuming there will be no Sonic 5, is the perfect opportunity to tie some of the loose ends to the Sonic canon between Sonic 3K and Sonic Adventure. I'm not saying Chaos or Tikal should be involved, but there is at least one plothole in Sonic Adventure: The position of the Emeralds, which is in Hidden Palace in Sonic 3, but in Sonic adventure, both in the past and present, the Emeralds are in some sort of shrine in the open. Sonic 4 could perhaps feature a plot device which involves the Hidden Palace, perhaps being destroyed or something else.

*No bubbles chains. Why in the holy mother of anus did Sega (or Dimps) believe there was any correlation between homing attack chains and Bubbles before this game was released? What's wrong with Nebula from Sonic 2? At least he was adapted into the spinny badniks from Sonic adventure that are used for homing attack chains. But the actual badnik used is only the start. It might require a bit of accuracy in the 3D games, but in a 2D game we don't want these bubbles chains. The actual homing attack (or preferably the midair dash) can be used to solve little puzzles here and there, but homing attack chains do nothing except wishing that the 360 had a turbo controller. As for the actual homing attack, it really ought to be obtainable via a shield, or something that runs out (like the boost).

If Ep3 is made based on Sonic 3 levels which it probably will be-like a 100% chance, I hope that the Sonic 3 levels get some much needed love. I mean there wasn't a Sonic 3 level in Generations (not counting the arm boss in 3ds) which seemed a real shame. The Sonic 3 levels: Marble Garden, Ice Cap, Carnival Night, Hydrocity and Launch Base were brilliant levels. The design and complexity of those levels are (in my opinion) some of the best 2d Sonic levels ever designed.

So if Sonic 3 is going to get a rehash, DO IT PROUD. Either that or give us Sonic 3 HD, Widescreen and base Ep3 on new unique levels with an improved spindash. Oh and Knuckles, come on he was a brilliant addition to S3&K.

Also, I would like to see a new Lava type Level, and a new underwater level. Any other new level ideas?

Edited by MilesKnightwing

The return of Metal Sonic and making him the main villian of the plot while..

Eggman is away stuck on Little Planet. Maybe Metal could fake his defeat and escaped the planet while Sonic and Tails were dealing with Eggman. It would be really cool if Episode 3 has Metal Sonic going against Eggman acting on his own and starts to become a bigger threat with the power from that orb he absorbed.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer21

What I would love to see in Episode 3:

• Knuckles & Tails playable.

• Possible optional expanding of the tag-team gameplay for separate characters (like Sonic Advance 3).

• Maybe Amy playable? (or at least referenced?)

• Possible expanding if Metal Sonic's gameplay.

• Updated music. Episode 1 was not too bad, & Episode 2 was much better in music, but I wouldn't mind real inelstruments like the modern 3D games.

• Physics updated further. They are on the right track in Episode 2, just a little more adjustments & it's near perfect!

• Vast exploration & expansive level design. Episode 2 is surprisingly large with levels & design is much better than Episode 1!

• More level-to-level transition like in S3&K & expand on the cutscenes! Really surprised that cutscenes were back in Episode 2!

Realistically thinking, I doubt all of this would be answered. But it would be pretty sweet if at least 3 would be in!

What I would love to see in Episode 3:

• Knuckles & Tails playable.

• Possible optional expanding of the tag-team gameplay for separate characters (like Sonic Advance 3).

• Maybe Amy playable? (or at least referenced?)

• Possible expanding if Metal Sonic's gameplay.

• Updated music. Episode 1 was not too bad, & Episode 2 was much better in music, but I wouldn't mind real inelstruments like the modern 3D games.

• Physics updated further. They are on the right track in Episode 2, just a little more adjustments & it's near perfect!

• Vast exploration & expansive level design. Episode 2 is surprisingly large with levels & design is much better than Episode 1!

• More level-to-level transition like in S3&K & expand on the cutscenes! Really surprised that cutscenes were back in Episode 2!

Realistically thinking, I doubt all of this would be answered. But it would be pretty sweet if at least 3 would be in!

I agree with most of those points except music and phyics.

It's an episodic game not a new title in the Sonic series, no matter how you look at it, it's still Sonic 4 so only subtle changes need to apply.

Episode 2 was already really different from Episode 1

I agree with most of those points except music and phyics.

It's an episodic game not a new title in the Sonic series, no matter how you look at it, it's still Sonic 4 so only subtle changes need to apply.

Episode 2 was already really different from Episode 1

Should Ep3 have Knuckles as well as a brand new character???

In Ep3 I think that instead of DIMPS copying old levels from Sonic 1&2, why don't they at least design new zones based on levels that never made the cut in previous Sonic games like: Dust Hill Zone, Wood Zone, Genocide Zone, Hidden Palace Zone-all levels cut from Sonic 2. Maybe even Desert Dazzle from Sonic CD. They could make the 2 player zones from Sonic 3 (Azure Lake, Baloon Park, Chrome Gadget, Desert Palace, Endless Mine) into full length detailed zones. Worth a thought?

Endless Mine

B-b-b-ut then it wouldn't be endless. D:

• Thumbs Up 2

i don't think there is going to be an episode 3, the soundtrack for 1 & 2 has been announced if they where making a third, they'd have held off and brought out "The Sonic 4 collection OST" but instead they're calling it Sonic 4 episode 1 & 2, the sense they've printed it in leads me on to think they aren't even classing it as the same arc and therefore there won't even be an episode 3... of course this is just speculation but it makes sense

I forgotten about the Super Emeralds - it wouldn't be complete without them.

About the physics, it can still be updated even for an episodic series. Let's look at Sonic 3 - The physics are near perfect, yet as Super Sonic, he still has that incredible friction that slows down the rolling dramatically like in Sonic 2. In Sonic & Knuckles however they fixed that.

Other than that, I would love to see Super/Hyper forms again for Sonic, Tails & Knuckles (but if Amy is playable, what would a "Super Amy" look like?)!

i don't think there is going to be an episode 3, the soundtrack for 1 & 2 has been announced if they where making a third, they'd have held off and brought out "The Sonic 4 collection OST" but instead they're calling it Sonic 4 episode 1 & 2, the sense they've printed it in leads me on to think they aren't even classing it as the same arc and therefore there won't even be an episode 3... of course this is just speculation but it makes sense

I see your point, but I think for now they are just testing the waters to see if an episode 3 is worth it. I think most likely they will, and knowing Sega they will release a third album for Episode 3 and later on "The Sonic 4 collection OST" to make more money out of fanstongue.png

If they do make an Episode 3, I would like them to expand on the shields from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I think they can do more with the concept, though I really don't know how. Also like everyone else the blue sphere special stage biggrin.png

If they do decide to develop Episode 3, I'd like the physics engine to be completely overhauled again (even though Episode 2's physics were pretty good). I want more of an emphasis on rolling to gain speed. Also I won't mind if they be a little bit nostalgic again as long as most of the stages are fresh. I think as great as Sonic 1 and 2 are, they need to make more references to 3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only game to ever bring back the Carnival Night barrel was Shadow xD

Unless you count the weird blue barrels in Episode 1 that behaved like the Spring Yard block platforms.

Edited by Justin Bieber

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the six-month bump, but now I would totally see an Episode III, if only to see one more time the entire pre-release fiasco that happened with the previous two episodes happen again out of some sort of bile fascination and presumably to find some hilarious material. Exactly what game design shenanigans Dimps would do, how Sonic Team would grant people's request in the loosest form of the word, whatever outlandish statements the PR has to say regarding anything about/pertaining to the game, whatever leaks data-corrupting saves "techinal errors" the game will end up receiving, and exactly how Sega would attempt marketing the game to anyone outside it's periphery demographic, (on a much lesser note) the game's critical/commercial reception, etc. Would totally welcome an Episode III just to see all of that one final time.

Although I do hope that if they make an Episode III, it is the definite final episode of the series.

Edited by Gabe the Firecracker

I know the chances of there being an Episode III are remote (unless of course it is already under development tongue.png), but it would be nice to see another episode. Ep2 was certainly a very pretty looking game.

I guess what I really want is:

i) SEGA to be able to give Sonic Team a much larger budget, so that they can increase the number of zones to at least six of seven, and make the level design more interesting and slightly longer.

ii) To give us the momentum style physics that fans have been crying out for.

iii) A top quality soundtrack with the kind of music that most modern Sonic games have.

iv) Additional playable characters to increase replay value, not just relying on on-line co-op and leaderboards.

I don't mind waiting a year of two for another episode, as long as the end product can clearly be seen as a really good effort.

Edited by Robin John Blake

If they did all that, it wouldn't even feel like a part of the Sonic 4 series. They'd be a million times better off just making a new game in that case.

I see little point in continuing Sonic 4. Its quite clearly a lazy cash-in. Might as well terminate it before it offends anyone else and focus on making better 3D games.

• Thumbs Up 3

I see little point in continuing Sonic 4. Its quite clearly a lazy cash-in. Might as well terminate it before it offends anyone else and focus on making better 3D games.

And 2D ones! 2D ones are by nature cheaper and easier to produce. And using S4 as an example, they'll sell very well through digital channels.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, new year! Think we'll see an Episode III in 2013? Given SEGA's mention of more than one Sonic title in 2013, and their shift in focus to digital platforms, I'd think Episode III is a given.

What I'm curious about is how well Episode II sold. I mean, Episode I was deemed by many fans to be a bad game, yet it sold very well and SEGA thought it warranted a sequel.

Episode II is a better game than Episode I. Yeah, yeah, some fans still hate it and other were not too impressed, but I think it can be agreed upon that Episode II was a big step up from Episode I. I really think there is more to the MetaCritic discrepancy between Episode I and II's scores. While Episode I has a higher score, I think a lot of that was thanks to the "gosh golly, it's Sonic 4!" attitude that many review sites (namely more casual-leaning sites) had. When Episode II hit, I think the "gosh golly" attitude wore off, Episode I's stigma had grown and as such reviewers were partially making up for their overly positive Episode I score and partially being more honest with their opinion of the game. While I personally would rate Episode II an 8/10, I totally get why some would rate it a 7 or even a 6. I don't agree, but I get it, considering the Episode I backlash and the fact that Episode II really isn't as casual friendly as Episode I was. Bosses are actually challenging, and later acts are quite harder.

In any case, it all comes down to the profit, and thats what warrants sequels. Of course, Sonic Team and Dimps seemingly take criticism to heart, as they did remedy a number of problems in Episode II.

So my take on it is: If Episode II sold well, we'll see Episode III this year. Sonic Team/Dimps will probably make changes based on feedback from reviews and fans, but in the end it'll be on par if not a bit better than Episode II. 

Personally, I think SEGA would be stupid to end at Episode II. It wasn't a satisfying end, though I think it was a satisfying installment in the Sonic 4 saga. Really, Episode II was what Episode I should have been.

• Thumbs Up 2

Episode 1 was released in October 2010 (I think), and Episode 2 was released in May 2012, so a December 2013/January 2014 release is likely for a possible Episode 3. So IF it happens, it's going to be a little wait just yet. If Sonic Team do release a new main series title in late 2013, then it may or may not be the best idea to release another Sonic 4 instalment so soon after.

It would be nice to see a new episode, but I will keep my expectations in check, as a new episode is unlikely to be drastically different. I would imagine that even with a bigger budget they would still stick with four levels. I doubt the physics will ever get anywhere near the Genesis games.  

Would be nice to have a treasure hunter in Episode 3.

I think as long as the distribution avenues are different, then SEGA has no problem with releasing Sonic titles so close to one another. Sonic 4 Ep III in October and the next boxed title in November/December (or vice versa) wouldn't be a bad idea, and it's something they've done before (in 2010).

Though Ep I was meant for an earlier release, and Ep II released on time in May. So I think they intended it to be a Spring/Summer thing.

Looking back, Episode II was announced almost a year ago this week: http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/12/sonic-4-episode-2-to-be-announced-with-trailer-at-gamespot-tomorrow/

So if Episode III is happening, we could very well see a trailer very soon. Or, we'd see an announcement in the spring/summer for a winter release. Five months seems to be the announcement to release window.

I've aleady said my piece on whether Episode II actually improved from Episode I, so I digress on that part.

Hopefully Sega had Episode III ready for a 2013 release while Episode II is still in the minds of some people, because I can't see how they're going to be able to market Epi. III next year when the Sonic 4 saga is all but forgotten by everyone excluding it's periphery demographic. I also am rather curious on exactly who they will market to, because I'm sure they'll fail hard if they try to pull the same marketing tactics towards the Genesis fans-Episode I was enough to drive many of them away, and I believe I can speak for some of them fans that Episode II was not much of/hardly/outright wasn't an improvement over Episode I that was promised by the PR, especially considering that this is two years after Epi. I and between it's release and Episode II's release we got Generations HD and CD 2011; to the point that they too won't bother with Epi. III. The usual pre-release shenanigans by the PR did not help matters.

Edited by Kazaam

I wouldnt mind seeing an EP3, I would rather they just nix the whole sonic "4" thing and make a new game entirely.

If we do see an EP3 heres what I want:

Knuckles is a given, he used to be a prominent character that had purpose but lately hes been shoved aside and forgotten about.

More original zones. Im all for the nostalgia factor they love so much but episode 1 and 2 felt really samey. Going through the rehased zones just felt like they were reusing motifs without any effort.

That said, I would like to see blue spheres again. I think that would look great in full 3D.

The elemental shields would be nice to see again maybe a couple of new power ups as well.

Please use real instuments for the music and dont boss pinch music or that dam extra life jingle again. I hate hearing that at the end of every stage. Kinda sad since I loved it in the original game, it sounded so much better.

Its pretty much a certainty that EP3 would be be based on S3&K, but Im hoping for something new. Time will tell...