Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

Wii U version has no voice chat, so I don't have to deal with that. :P

Of course, it complicates friend matches, meaning we have to Skype if we wanna talk. mellow.png

Boy those Time attacks...anybody got some good progress on them? Expert ghosts are really challenging; only got 4 done :S

So these two have got me thinking...

I think that there should be DLC to unlock everything. We didn't need it in the first game because back then you could just grind for Miles. Now, I have to play dozens of extremely frustrating Challenges just to unlock what I want. I'm normally very patient with these things, but this game just takes it way too far.

Please, Sumo

PLEASE give us Unlock Everything DLC

And yet you removed every other method possible to unlock most of the characters. Just saying it was stupid. You can have progression for the people that want it but, eliminating the unlocks for dedicated playtime was a big no no. It's only catering to one group of people. How is that letting everyone play how they want? It's more like forcing everyone to play the way the loudest screaming voice wanted it.

Problem is the 'loudest screaming voices' were the people paying us to make the game :P

But the point is valid. I'll have a sleep on this to see if any good ideas come to mind on how we can bridge the two. Winning Stars via the fruit machine might be a relatively simple thing we could do in World Tour for example. We do of course have the 'gimme' in on any event if you fail three times on easy, that could be expanded.

Not promising, but it will get some consideration.

---

S0L

---

Perhaps the answer to the question of 'no progression' vs 'too difficult' lies in the form of a cheat code menu! complete with big head mode

I haven't seen a cheat code system for many years and I sorely miss them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can see why the games selection of items have been slammed by a few reviewers. Most of the Mario Kart items are so iconic that when the alternatives are easily forgettable fireworks and boosting arrows it's a little disappointing.

I know it's been said that its difficult to take objects from various SEGA games that'd be useful in a race but why not just take total liberties with the items and make them do something else than you'd expect? A Mushroom in the main Mario games has never given you a boost of speed and I'm pretty sure red shells don't home in on you.

I don't think any of ASR's or ASRT's weapons are iconic or memorable except for maybe the Blowfish, you guys shoud keep that. I dunno, off the top of my head maybe an Orange/ Rocket Wisp as a Bullet Bill type weapon, the Alex Kidd rice cake/ donut type thing as a boost (maybe give it a smiley face or something to give it some personality), a Chu Chu as a green shell alternative that rebounds off walls as it hits them (and that's exactly as they do in their game ;p) and... something for Red Shell alternatives, can't think of anything right now xD.

So we got Gum and Shadow lookin weird in-game so far. Oh! and Gilius's cgi model. Anyone else?

Most of the more human-like characters (Vyse, Ulala, B.D Joe, etc) look rather bad in-game model-wise, Sonic Knux's and Shadow don't have their side mouths, facial expressions are really lacking, etc.

The Sonic Characters definately looked better in Free Riders, through I think that's because the team that made Free Riders had a more powerful engine to have Sonic, Knux's, and Shadow with their proper side mouths.

Maybe they'll want to team up to do Mario Kart VS SEGA All-Stars - imagine that. Then what would the fan boys complain about tongue.png

I'd love that so much more than the Olympics.

Aw crap, is it delayed again? D; I've been hooked on hoping for the 3DS version next month... And on making my first review out of it. Now I might have to wait 'til February?

This is what I got today:

Unfortunately, an unexpected delay from our supplier may prevent us from delivering some items in your order placed

on August 01, 2012 (Order#) by December 24.The following item(s) from your order is delayed:

"Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed Bonus Edition"

Estimated arrival date: February 14, 2013

Plus the extra stuff about they'll try to get it, contacting them, the rest of my order, etc. I was going to ignore it given the inability to keep

dates straight thus far, but if all that many other stores are showing the same issue there may be a problem.

But I wanted to point out that MKWii actually has some pretty...complex? I dunno. The vocalizations aren't really just barks. They may sound like it (since the game is fairly hectic and it's hard to focus on what noises your character is making), but, being the insane Wario fan that I am, I have his entire voice box as my computer's noises. Many of his lines, even ones for just getting hurt, are actually full sentences and are done really well.

But c'mon, in the Super Mario series one guy makes the voice of half of the characters tongue.png

In Transformed, each char have their own VA, to get an agreement with each one would be really expensive. I do agree they could get better quotes ("time for a change of pace" for Eggman tongue.png), but still...

Edited by Jango

Hi Hog farther. i wanted to ask you something you said that you can't beat traffic attack with sonic on expert right. but i just won on traffic attack on shibuya downtown on expert with sonic. please comment back.

So these two have got me thinking...

Problem is the 'loudest screaming voices' were the people paying us to make the game tongue.png

But the point is valid. I'll have a sleep on this to see if any good ideas come to mind on how we can bridge the two. Winning Stars via the fruit machine might be a relatively simple thing we could do in World Tour for example. We do of course have the 'gimme' in on any event if you fail three times on easy, that could be expanded.

Not promising, but it will get some consideration.

---

S0L

---

Perhaps the answer to the question of 'no progression' vs 'too difficult' lies in the form of a cheat code menu! complete with big head mode

I haven't seen a cheat code system for many years and I sorely miss them.

Here we go! S0L, look back on OutRun 2. It had a mission mode with missions like in Transformed, but as soon as you got into the menu you could navigate to a code input screen, punch in "DREAMING" and get all the cars just like that. You could also unlock all of the tracks, and the original OutRun! People who want the challenge of the missions can go their merry way without every looking at the cheat code screen, and people who just want everything from the get to don't have to fool with missions. Always seemed like a fantastic compromise to me. I know today "Unlock all characters!" Achievements/Trophies are quite common but I'm sure no one would miss that. tongue.png

EDIT: Oh, and Big Head 70's Trouser Mode please. Then everyone is happy.

Edited by Mykonos

I have to say, as much as I like this game, it falls short of Mario Kart in a lot of things, mostly the little details. And you know what they say, the more the merrier it's the small stuff that counts.

For example, in Mario Kart Wii, every character has vocalizations for nearly EVERY situation. Getting set on fire, falling off the track, winning a race, getting second, getting third, so on, so forth. It's cool to hear how each character reacts to each situation. Unfortunately, the characters in Transformed simply spout one of three or so lines for each situation (the situations being "positive", "negative", "win", "lose").

NiGHTS gets hurt? "NO!"

NiGHTS gets passed? Same "NO!"

NiGHTS taps a wall slightly too hard? "NO!"

It's lazy (or whatever), but it works...most of the time. Hearing Reala say "GIVE UP, YOU CAN'T WIN" 400 times in the same race is ANNOYING as all hell. Not only does it lead to annoying repetition, reusing lines also leads to shit that makes no sense at all.

Sonic wins a race? "Dude, sweet! And you're only going to get better!" What the fuck does that even mean? Who are you talking to?

Knuckles wins a race? "First one to the finish, wins!" ...okay, yes, that is the basic concept of racing. Good job.

Shinobi Joe wins a race? "My ancestor, Japanese McNamington." Alright, you're not even trying. Hell, this guy's voice was even recorded specifically for this game.

Another thing are the All-Stars. I understand that this game has significantly more characters than Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, but in that game, every pair had an extremely unique special that changed the way you selected characters and raced. In Transformed, everyone has the same All-Star with a different attack (generally just a blast wave of some sort), which, if I'm not mistaken, is actually a step DOWN from the first one.

There's also a lot of trouble with registering boosts, tricks, etc. The game needs a LOT of polish. Flying is also very hectic and nearly impossible to keep ahead during Expert races for someone who isn't insanely good at the game. The Expert AI also cheats far too often (how does Amigo, the character with a speed stat of ONE, gain on and overtake NiGHTS with a Speed mod at top speed?) and the Expert level altogether is frustrating and not fun, to say the least.

I don't know. This game is fun, to be sure, but I can't say it's better than Mario Kart. Honestly, though? It doesn't have to be. It's a different game entirely. Do I have more fun with Mario Kart? Yes. Does it have things Transformed doesn't have? Yes. But Transformed has things Mario Kart doesn't have. So there.

Liking mario kart better is understandable, but I'm kind of shocked at how much emphasis you are putting on the voice overs to explain your point. Of all the things you could complain about, it is the voice overs? Why would such a thing bother you? Is it really that important? Like you are really paying attention to what every character says during these intense battles/races? It just seems kind of odd

About all the other points your stating. I can agree that there are a few bugs here and there, but most of it just seems to be your lack of competence. Is it the game's fault, or is it the player's fault? When you point out something, you really should be able to separate the 2.

Edited by Djawed

So, is there any word on DLC for the Wii U version as well, yet?

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, since I'm waiting for the Wii U version and have been pretty busy in general, I'm pretty out of the loop. D: I just hope the Wii U doesn't get the short end of the stick...

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, since I'm waiting for the Wii U version and have been pretty busy in general, I'm pretty out of the loop. D: I just hope the Wii U doesn't get the short end of the stick...

Does this count as DLC news? tongue.png

http://forums.sega.c...s-to-become-DLC

It is sanctioned by the devs...

Edited by Beat

On the back of the box, the Nintendo Network descriptor mentions online play and add-on content.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi Hog farther. i wanted to ask you something you said that you can't beat traffic attack with sonic on expert right. but i just won on traffic attack on shibuya downtown on expert with sonic. please comment back.

I have beaten all of world tour on expert mode.

I didn't have that much trouble with Shibuya downtown, it was Sonic Heroes and Samba that was giving me the most trouble. Though I will say that doing it with knuckles was a lot easier.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have beaten all of world tour on expert mode.

I didn't have that much trouble with Shibuya downtown, it was Sonic Heroes and Samba that was giving me the most trouble. Though I will say that doing it with knuckles was a lot easier.

Amy works as a good alternative as well. Great handling, small car.

If you guys haven't voted for Ristar yet on the sega forum, I urge you to do so now!

Amy works as a good alternative as well. Great handling, small car.

I found Mee Mee a good one to use for the traffic attacks as she has a small vehicle and great handling!

If you guys haven't voted for Ristar yet on the sega forum, I urge you to do so now!

He's already the flagman, he can't (or shouldn't) be a character as well IMO.

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I'm more bothered about Vectorman and Ryo, and possibly Miku if she isn't exempt, couldn't care less about Ristar, he suits being the flagman.

Edited by Gum/ Super Soniko
  • Thumbs Up 1