Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

Well now it's been deconfirmed... sorta.

What happened was as follows. Going to mix up the story a bit so the individual can't be identified but the dialogue is the important bit.

Myself and my partner went to EGX last year, I played Sonic Forces and people got angry? Anyway.... Sumo Digital had people wandering the floor and had a mini booth, well... wasn't really a booth more a small table where they were handing our career advice, as well as a few competitions and the like.

Well... we spoke to someone from Sumo and conversation went onto the following...

"So are you familiar with our titles?" 

We both said yes.

"What's your favourite?"

I said ASRT by miles, but I really wanted to play Snake Pass too. 

My partner then said "I love ASRT, But also Outrun, I really wish Sumo would do another racer!"

At this point... the most epic of Freudian slip's happened....

"Oh great! Well we have an.. more news soon!"

About halfway through this line they had a look of horror and tried to cover it. So after we said our goodbyes, we went to the bar and the first thing we said was... "Now... did they mean... sequel to ASRT? Or something else?"

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

He said it's not SART, but he didn't say anything about S&SASR.

Hooray!

Must be Sonic Drift 3.

15 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

[...] My partner then said "I love ASRT, But also Outrun, I really wish Sumo would do another racer!"

At this point... the most epic of Freudian slip's happened....

"Oh great! Well we have an.. more news soon!"

About halfway through this line they had a look of horror and tried to cover it. So after we said our goodbyes, we went to the bar and the first thing we said was... "Now... did they mean... sequel to ASRT? Or something else?"

Wouldn't mind a new Outrun, although getting the Ferrari license just for the game to disappear again in a few years might be too much of a pain.

1 hour ago, Patron said:

Must be Sonic Drift 3.

Wouldn't mind a new Outrun, although getting the Ferrari license just for the game to disappear again in a few years might be too much of a pain.

Agreed, which is why they should do it without, like the 3D Classic.

Game informer had a good counter to what Aaron sais. I can't copy it atm on my phone but it was along the lines of the original rumor made no mention of asrt but Aaron named it

Maybe, but IGN suggested it as well, so it may have been in response to that and derivative sources.

And if I'm not mistaken, isn't Sonic his specific specialty, rather than SEGA as a whole, meaning they could be working on stuff outside of Sonic he doesn't know about?

• Thumbs Up 3

As much as I like both All-Stars Racing games, I really don't think it's the right time for a third anyhow.

I'd happily take a collection on current consoles (including the Switch) with all the DLC included -- especially Ryo in Transformed, since he was only on PC and I think mobile.

2 hours ago, Harkofthewaa said:

As much as I like both All-Stars Racing games, I really don't think it's the right time for a third anyhow.

Maybe it is the right time, so that people forget about Forces. Sonic Forces really didn't help to give the Sonic brand a better representation in the eyes of the main stream community. Their a solid Sonic game like SAASR3 would have been nice. Just let us show the public that their can be more good/solid game from Sonic that aren't Megadrive Nostalgia pandering. 

13 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Then what, exactly is SUMO’s project? Does Webber really know everything going on at Sega, especially if Sonic Team ain’t there on the job? Is he trying to keep it a secret? 

It's obviously Bloodborne Kart, don't you see?

736.jpg

• Chuckle 2

7 hours ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Then...when is the right time? It has been over 5 years since the last one.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sumo has handled a lot of small licenses over the years, it would be really funny if this ended up being some completely different license like a Garfield Kart 2 or something.

Though I'd also really like another S&AS. Transformed is one of my favorite games.

So, grain of salt here, but here's an interesting tidbit. Again, don't take it as a confirmation, but... yeah.

Spindash.de was at the Spielwarenmesse (Toy Fair) in Nuremberg, Germany, and they had Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Toys, the 2012 ones. (it's in German, but give it a look for the pics)

According to Zappies, the toy maker, they were put on the shelf again as a representation/placeholder for upcoming, not yet finished toys for a new Sonic Racer coming out in 2018. They didn't specify anything (with or without Sega Characters), but that's what they said.

Again, take it with a grain of salt, it's just a toy maker and noone directly involved with the games, but keep in mind that Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was discovered the same way, only on the New York Toy Fair 2012

So, uh... the ride never ends, huh?

• Thumbs Up 3

Seconding Indigo Rush, if this turns out to have merit, then let me say this in advance: 

Aaron Webber...

I doubt he was lying. He specifically denied a followup to SASRT. Whatever they're making could just not have SEGA characters in it or have something else going on that differentiates itself.

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

I doubt he was lying. He specifically denied a followup to SASRT. Whatever they're making could just not have SEGA characters in it or have something else going on that differentiates itself.

Sonic R2 confirmed babyyyyyy

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

It’s blatant misdirection, and relying on people taking the exact wording into consideration. (“Oh well he meant a follow up to TRANSFORMED, hence why he added the T”) Why weren’t people jumping and using this reasoning before? Because we all rightfully assumed it was a blatant de confirmation of a Sega racing game in general.

if it’s a strict sonic racing game that’s one thing, if it’s a Sega all star racer, then no I’m gonna find how Aaron handled this poor.

I'll be incredibly miffed if they just make a purely Sonic focused racer. One of the best things about ASR was seeing all the classic, oft forgotten SEGA IP come back and how they were utilised with kart and track designs. They haven't even scratched the surface either (Puyo Puyo, anyone?).

If it's just a Sonic racer... eh. It'd probably be decent, but we need more of SEGA's classic franchises, not less. 

• Thumbs Up 6

YOj8Qwo.jpg

"Haha! Looks like you fell for his lies! Looks like ol' Webber has been learning from moi!"

But hey, I'd dig a third game. It's no Mario Kart for me, but I found a newborn appreciation for this series after playing SART on my Vita, so if a sequel comes to the Switch (well... it will), I'd def buy it.

and whatever toys come out for this, apparently.

• Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

It’s blatant misdirection, and relying on people taking the exact wording into consideration. Why weren’t people jumping and using this reasoning before? Because we all rightfully assumed it was a blatant de confirmation of a Sega racing game in general.

if it’s a strict sonic racing game that’s one thing, if it’s a Sega all star racer, then no I’m gonna find how Aaron handled this poor.

Think what you want. I'm not interested in arguing with Sonic fans looking for small things to be mad about today. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It’s a lie if it’s true, and we’re simply calling it out as such. If you wanna read that as us looking for something to rage about go ahead, I don’t think anyone here is actually pissing in rage at Aaron. (But I will keep this in mind whenever he states something now should this in fact be true) 

nonetheless, I’ll be happy we’re getting a new racing game in general 

Aaron is probably correct in that the new game (if there is indeed going to be one) won't be called "All-Stars Racing". Maybe just "Sonic Kart-Racer", or whatever.

I agree with Tracker. There may be a large cast of Sonic characters they could use, but there's also plenty of characters from SEGA's other IP's which they'd be far better off using. 

• Nice Smile 1