Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

I think it's a bit early to start jumping on people for "lying" when we don't actually know what this is or if it's actually a real thing at all and not some miscommunication. Keep it in the back of your head for when/if a game is actually announced if you want, but I don't see a point in getting riled up over such a thin rumor.

• Thumbs Up 5

Dear Sumo

If this is true and there is a new racing game, please leave out Seaside Hill

Yours truly,

The 10th Doctor

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Dear Sumo

Yours truly,

The 10th Doctor

"Got it...no Seaside Hill" 

"Hey boss, what Sonic stages do we use instead?" 

"Isn't it obvious? Ocean Palace and Windy Hill!"

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I think it's a bit early to start jumping on people for "lying" when we don't actually know what this is or if it's actually a real thing at all and not some miscommunication. Keep it in the back of your head for when/if a game is actually announced if you want, but I don't see a point in getting riled up over such a thin rumor.

This I’ll concede to. It’s the most fair way to go about as of now 

3 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Dear Sumo

Yours truly,

The 10th Doctor

You gonna get both Seaside Hill and Green Hills young man and you're going to like it

The hope lives, as does this thread! Wow, see? It's not bad to be optimistic sometimes? You may be rewarded...

I really hope they split the idea in 2 and have a solo Sonic racer and a SEGA one in the future, but knowing Sumo, they'll never do a fully Sonic title.

3 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

The hope lives, as does this thread! Wow, see? It's not bad to be optimistic sometimes? You may be rewarded...

I really hope they split the idea in 2 and have a solo Sonic racer and a SEGA one in the future, but knowing Sumo, they'll never do a fully Sonic title.

That would be kind of pointless. Why have one racer that excludes Sonic for the other IP, when you can just put Sonic in the one with SEGA IP and save on budget+increase sales?

• Thumbs Up 1

If the game is Sonic only, I don't see why it's not another R or Riders game. Karts seem especially lame for the series' characters, of all things, imo

Here's hoping it's another crossover instead, like Sonic & Mario Kart All-Stars or Sonic Crash Team Racing or something...

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

That would be kind of pointless. Why have one racer that excludes Sonic for the other IP, when you can just put Sonic in the one with SEGA IP and save on budget+increase sales?

Then have Sonic be the only character to be in both games. I just want to play as my dear Sonic characters, just like a lot of people do, while many others prefer to play as the SEGA characters, I know it'll never happen but it's just my idea.

3 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Then have Sonic be the only character to be in both games. I just want to play as my dear Sonic characters, just like a lot of people do, while many others prefer to play as the SEGA characters, I know it'll never happen but it's just my idea.

I promise you won't melt if you go near other SEGA IP. There'll still be like, 5 Sonic characters in the crossovers compared to say, JSR's 2 at most.

Sonic gets enough limelight, I don't see the point in making more games for a purpose that's already practically fulfilled just because SEGA bother to give a toss about their less limelighted IP. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

I promise you won't melt if you go near other SEGA IP. There'll still be like, 5 Sonic characters in the crossovers compared to say, JSR's 2 at most.

Sonic gets enough limelight, I don't see the point in making more games for a purpose that's already practically fulfilled. 

I like the other SEGA IPs. But what if people want to play as Infinite? Big? Cream? Vector? Espio? Sticks? Blaze? Silver? I respect the other SEGA franchises but I'm not as attached to them as I am with these characters.

A Sonic only racing game? I can't wait to race in Green Hill, Seaside Hill, Windy Hill and Green Hill (Classic).

2 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

If the game is Sonic only, I don't see why it's not another R or Riders game. Karts seem especially lame for the series' characters, of all things, imo

Here's hoping it's another crossover instead, like Sonic & Mario Kart All-Stars or Sonic Crash Team Racing or something...

R and Riders are both bad. Why would they continue either of them?

1 minute ago, Jack of Tangles said:

I like the other SEGA IPs. But what if people want to play as Infinite? Big? Cream? Vector? Espio? Sticks? Blaze? Silver? I respect the other SEGA franchises but I'm not as attached to them as I am with these characters.

Big was in SASASR. Nothing about it being a SEGA crossover is holding any of these characters back.

• Thumbs Up 2

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is a "new" Racing series only starring Sonic, Sega clearly wants their answer to Mario Kart and have wanted it for years. Don't forget the original ASR was supposed to have a much bigger focus on Sonic in its early stages, with at least five more Sonic characters being planned. Big is sort of the remnant of that production stage, i.e. he was the only side character who made it in the end. Sega were fine with the crossover because back then they did have their own Sonic Racing IP with Riders, but months later that exploded thanks to a so-called Kinect. Now even the Olympics are dead, and there is no Sonic spin-off series period.

According to S0L on the Sega Forums, Sega was reportedly not interested in another All-Stars game despite Sumo pitching new ideas regularly and Transformed's amazing reception. I thought it was because they focused their resources on Boom at that time, but maybe the truth is they are just not interested in pushing the Sega Superstars brand anymore. Sales were average for a multi-platform game (although it turned out to have some legs), and with Aaron Webber deconfirming another "All-Stars" game and the Sumo Presentation slide mentioning "a global IP", I believe...

Everybody's Super Sonic Racing. Except other Sega characters.

If this is true, I'd be sorry for the Sumo Digital staff, they are such huge Sega fans and care more for the forgotten franchises than Sega themselves do. Also I wanted a Space Channel 5 track goddangit Knowing Sumo, they'd probably sneak in a new Sega Carnival stage or the racers as guest-stars/DLC though. Sega might be inspired by Mario Kart 8 here (despite guest-stars being a thing back in Riders 1). 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I mean so was Sonic Drift, but you don't see that stopping Sumo if this turns out to be true, do you? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

actually no Riders 1 was the bomb meet me outside at 8 m8

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Marcello said:

A Sonic only racing game? I can't wait to race in Green Hill, Seaside Hill, Windy Hill and Green Hill (Classic).

Big was in SASASR. Nothing about it being a SEGA crossover is holding any of these characters back.

We are not talking about continuing R and Riders but rather something new, or a kart racer in the vein of ASR.

Those characters are clearly held back because the roster can't be that big, and people already complain when 6 Sonic characters are present in a SEGA crossover roster.

If I remember correctly, despite an allegedly huge budget Transformed's roster was held back because the team had to create four vehicles for each character, the land/sky/water ones and the vehicle in its transforming state. Only with reskins they were able to buff the cast up to be comparable to the first game's roster (Although Pudding did have a unique vehicle, but I love Pudding so screw you haters lol). They skipped the fourth vehicle type for DLC characters by having the cars transform in a puff of smoke or similar animations.

There were definitely strong opinions about the Sonic representation, but I personally didn't get why the series shouldn't have gotten one/two new racers for each installment similar to how the Mario side grows in Smash Bros. Especially if the alternative is Danica Patrick and Wreck-It Ralph.

Danica Patrick and Wreck-It Ralph were pointless but at least they boosted sales (I think), promotion was the purpose, the SEGA clones added nothing, but if somebody likes them it's okay, at least someone is happy. This is also why I'd rather have them return to a traditional racing game without the transformation, so we can have more characters/vehicles and even more tracks, since they'd be easier to design.

• Thumbs Up 1

guys

guys

I think we're all forgetting the most important possible issue with a new Sonic racing game...

...Richard Jacques or absolutely GTFO

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Danica Patrick and Wreck-It Ralph were pointless but at least they boosted sales (I think), promotion was the purpose, the SEGA clones added nothing, but if somebody likes them it's okay, at least someone is happy. This is also why I'd rather have them return to a traditional racing game without the transformation, so we can have more characters/vehicles and even more tracks, since they'd be easier to design.

SEGA clones?

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

R wasn't very good, but I think it was onto something interesting with the platformy-racer concept. If they're ever going to do another Sonic-exclusive racing series, I'd be more interested in seeing that kind of thing explored than a straight kart racer or something.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Ratcicle King said:

Sonic R2 confirmed babyyyyyy

You clearly are wrong: it's obviously Sonic Drift 3.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3