Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

I just thought of something, and this is going to be hard to put into words, but I'm curious:

When one player is racing, the track has one configuration for the first lap and for the second lap the configuration changes. Let's say a bridge blows up and it goes from "Lap 1: all driving, Lap 2: half driving, half boating"

Do all racers on the track experience these environmental changes at the same time? So if, say, I was playing very poorly or was intentionally being slow, the track would change around me to the point that even though I have yet to complete one lap, all the other racers are on the third lap and thus, the track has changed to the third lap configuration even though I'm still on the first.

Does this make any sense? Basically I'm wondering: what does the track change depend on? The position of the lead racer? Or is it all timed and it will happen regardless of position? If nobody hit the gas and just sat at the starting line, would the track change at all?

I know, I'm getting deep.

I think they'll get what you mean. Very good question so i'd like to know as well Edited by Djawed

I just thought of something, and this is going to be hard to put into words, but I'm curious:

When one player is racing, the track has one configuration for the first lap and for the second lap the configuration changes. Let's say a bridge blows up and it goes from "Lap 1: all driving, Lap 2: half driving, half boating"

Do all racers on the track experience these environmental changes at the same time? So if, say, I was playing very poorly or was intentionally being slow, the track would change around me to the point that even though I have yet to complete one lap, all the other racers are on the third lap and thus, the track has changed to the third lap configuration even though I'm still on the first.

Does this make any sense? Basically I'm wondering: what does the track change depend on? The position of the lead racer? Or is it all timed and it will happen regardless of position? If nobody hit the gas and just sat at the starting line, would the track change at all?

S0L answered this on SEGA forums; You get re-spawned further along if your too far behind for the track to change.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, and are the changes dependent on when a lap completes or do they just happen? So if racers in the way back re-spawn, one could technically sit without touching their controller, and the game will move them along the track until the final track change?

is-this-real-life.jpg

Edited by Barry the Nomad

this is nice, so no more character stucked into walls for entire laps :D

has been asked if is there going to be more than 3 laps available? they could just repeat the first lap another time and then start the transformations

S0L answered this on SEGA forums; You get re-spawned further along if your too far behind for the track to change.

This should stop people online who like to drive around a track in the opposite direction and ram and attack you biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 3

this is nice, so no more character stucked into walls for entire laps biggrin.png

has been asked if is there going to be more than 3 laps available? they could just repeat the first lap another time and then start the transformations

I think thats the case. So it might be:

1 lap - original state

2 laps - original state/first transformation

3 laps - original state/first/second transformation

4 laps - original state/first/first/second

5 laps - original/first/first/second/second

6 laps - original/original/first/first/second/second

Like that, maybe?

• Thumbs Up 1

This is second hand and I'll find the exact post ASAP but I'll answer as best as I can:

Basically some things need to happen where none of the players can see them, so it's dependent on event. The game will move you along, but only till the final change. They seem set on locking the laps to three because they may be context sensitive and they were balanced that way.

EDIT: Here we go:

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?409253-Semi-official-fire-questions-at-SUMO-and-get-vague-responses-thread&p=7421432&viewfull=1#post7421432

We're not entirely locked on this - but we're currently thinking we won't allow changing the number of laps. Each race is enough of an event as it stands, and for multiplayer we want people to experience variety. Nothing worse than joining a 100 lap race in an online game :P
Edited by FourCartridge

I've thought about the same thing some other day, Barry old chap. In Seaside Hill, for example, in the third lap, the beggining of the track completely change to make the players get down to the water section. What will happen if you stay at this place 'till the third lap? Will you fall into the water? And when the other racers reach this part, the track is already "updated", so the racer that didn't moved will see the track changing in front of his EYES!??

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've thought about the same thing some other day, Barry old chap. In Seaside Hill, for example, in the third lap, the beggining of the track completely change to make the players get down to the water section. What will happen if you stay at this place 'till the third lap? Will you fall into the water? And when the other racers reach this part, the track is already "updated", so the racer that didn't moved will see the track changing in front of his EYES!??

I'd suspect a 3D model of S0L appears in a hamburgler costume with a bag of tricks, and he'll go about changing the track when nobody is looking.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, I had a little question I was curious about. S0L, can you confirm if the guest characters always appear? In ASR1, Banjo-Kazooie (and obviously Miis, it'd be silly for them to appear) were never AI-controlled. They only appeared if a human chose to play as them.

Is this the case with Danica and Ralph? I kinda hope not because I love both their inclusions and feel they strangely fit in way more than B-K did, but, yeah, was wondering since I don't really plan to play as either, but I'd like to see them around and stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

So since Danica's car appears to be based on the dan-car (you'll need to look this up as I'm on the mobile) and it appears that Hot Wheels has something to do with it, anyone wanna put bets on a Hot Wheels promotion?

We have a system that resets players to a sensible place if they're on something that changes. It tries to ensure they can still continue their lap till they catch up, so you can still be fighting for last place tongue.png

I think thats the case. So it might be:

1 lap - original state

2 laps - original state/first transformation

3 laps - original state/first/second transformation

4 laps - original state/first/first/second

5 laps - original/first/first/second/second

6 laps - original/original/first/first/second/second

Like that, maybe?

Races are locked to 3 laps, Time Attack are set to a configuration that works best there - and we alter the track configurations as needed for the World Tour events. Else it gets messy and we don't like messy.

Oh, I had a little question I was curious about. S0L, can you confirm if the guest characters always appear? In ASR1, Banjo-Kazooie (and obviously Miis, it'd be silly for them to appear) were never AI-controlled. They only appeared if a human chose to play as them.

Is this the case with Danica and Ralph? I kinda hope not because I love both their inclusions and feel they strangely fit in way more than B-K did, but, yeah, was wondering since I don't really plan to play as either, but I'd like to see them around and stuff.

Any character that is unlocked can appear in a race and be driven by the AI. Simple as that smile.png

Was something said about all the characters (Sega related) having their own track? I wonder if SC5 have one...

Cleared this up over at the SEGA forums, but not every character has a track. That was a mistake in that interview, else we'd have 7 Sonic tracks - and we don't smile.png

---

S0L

---

Edited by S0L
  • Thumbs Up 3

So since Danica's car appears to be based on the dan-car (you'll need to look this up as I'm on the mobile) and it appears that Hot Wheels has something to do with it, anyone wanna put bets on a Hot Wheels promotion?

• Thumbs Up 2

Cleared this up over at the SEGA forums, but not every character has a track. That was a mistake in that interview, else we'd have 7 Sonic tracks - and we don't smile.png

A bit curious about the inclusion of the go-daddy adverts all over the car. Will they still be in the PAL version, seeing as that company doesn't even do anything here in the UK etc? The Hot Wheels inclusion I can understand but not that. :S

*looks at Danicas car*

Sonic all stars racing transformed! Sponsored by godaddy.com! wreck it Ralph! Hot wheels and a third mystery guest!!!

Who could it be?

• Thumbs Up 2

So I had a crazy thought: 5-player race with Danica, Ulala, Aiai, Beat and Joe in the House of the Dead track.

A Hot Wheels reunion!

sega-hot-wheels-1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

A bit curious about the inclusion of the go-daddy adverts all over the car. Will they still be in the PAL version, seeing as that company doesn't even do anything here in the UK etc? The Hot Wheels inclusion I can understand but not that. :S

Actually GoDaddy does have a co.uk address. http://www.godaddy.co.uk/ They have European servers.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

Sky sanctuary?That does make more sense then it appearing in generations as it has much flight potential. I mean at least we have Starlight Carnival.(wait. All the sonic stage names start with S!lol I just noticed that.) Danica looks pretty cool in this game. I might use her a couple times. And all the modes in the game really make me happy, as I probably won't get bored quickly now. AND ULALA!!!!YES! lovin the car.

I'm around hear with my balls exploding wanting to see more 3DS content, If it sucks then I will stick with PS3 only

Why can't you confirm the track in the screenshot (that everyone is speculating to be a HOTD track) S0L?