Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

ASRT isn't designed to be a single player game, it's a party racer and like many racing game it gets its real feels from multiplay. I enjoy a lot of RPGs, big long single player games, but ASRT in single player? I can fully imagine that not being much fun, don't get me wrong I think ASRT is an amazing racer and the best I've played in years (it and Modnation, also amazing, are proof that Mario Kart needs to shake it up in order to really deliver again)

But I can't see it being that fun in single player, especially World Tour 'n' the like.

2-5 player world tour and Grand Prix though oh boy, it's infinitely more fun and the lack of multiplayer options in Mario Kart are one of the reasons I don't enjoy it as much, why? I want to get through the game and do a variety of multiplayer as I go along without having to set up a dedicated custom game with a stage of my choice and rules of my choice, I want to unlock stuff while playing multiplayer rather than having to force myself through the one player mode of a party game to unlock stuff. If Mario Kart wants to hold my attention.. it needs multiplayer in its single player modes, including GP and hopefully more in the future.

This is pretty much the reason I think ASRT is so amazing, it's not the stages or music, while amazing themselves it takes a lot to get me to keep playing them til I like them, the character selection is mediocre honestly (needs more Ryo), and it's definitely pretty hard, the AI can be ruthless and like Chooch said Retrying takes too long because boy do you retry a lot!

But man, if it didn't have 2-5 player throughout World Tour and GP I feel like I may be already close to saying "I'm done" and dropping the game, instead, nope, my brother and I have been playing through the "single player" modes for almost 2 days straight and we can't stop gushing about how good the game is!

Spoilered for slightly related tangent:

On a related tangent this is why games needs local multiplayer/splitscreen. Ya'll think you're so cool with your online games but when a game has robust online and no splitscreen modes at all, you know how much I play it in multiplayer??

Not

At

All

(different strokes for different folks, but it makes me sad that the industry is slowly moving away from local multiplayer to focus on online play - excuse u games industry I can't exactly play online with my brother in the same house i.e. the person I like to play games with the most now can I.)

im jealous of you for everytime I have friend's over (aka my cousin and grand kids) I can never seem to get them into it cause its either im too good at it and they can't all well keep up with me or they just lose interest in it, heck only game I can keep people into is Mario kart and I basically hate that game for how little you actually do in it and I have DKR, CTR, the first ASR, and extreme g-2 and even double dash ( the only MK I actually enjoy) and finally sonic riders.

I started World Tour today but immediately invited my brother to join in, so no frame of reference for what it's like by myself, but it is indeed a blast. Due to the lax standards of the B-Class challenges, we're able to cooperate together to ensure at least one of us can carry the baton to the finish line. It's even allowed me to win a few races outright, whereas on the demo I was struggling to just get third place in the race.

Overall though, I'm having more fun than I thought I would considering my abysmal skill level. I'm still trying to wrangle the drift in, but I'm discovering half the time it's about knowing where to use it versus how to use it; I can gain considerable ground just by keeping away from the chaos, which is what this game is: pure chaos. The colors, lighting, effects, the amount of pure stuff and debris is near sensory overload, but that almost makes it whimsical. I figured I would stick with a Sonic character, but Ralph with the Acceleration mod has been my main man. Overall, very glad to have a kart game which takes me back to the MK64 and DKR days. I love it. <3

I love how you described that Edited by Djawed

Persona

Personally I really prefer the world tour idea over a grand prix as the main attraction. I dunno but I loved the variety in general. Yes it may get boring for some, but a lot less than just keep doing grand prixs from difficulty to difficulty. I'm just giving credit where it should be given. Things can always be improved, but allstar racing transformed has the best idea in the genre.

I'm sorry, it was late. I don't actually think it was too boring, and I like it a lot better than some grand prix as the main attraction. It's really fun, especially with friends, but it's not something I can go from start to finish alone without needing a breather.

I finally beat world tour and beat everything in my spare time between finals. I got to say I really, really felt sooooooo good beating the damn mode.

I'm going to agree with some of the members here, they should have been another mode apart from expert. Everything just felt so piss easy (especially the normal races) after a while.

After finals end I'll go back and tackle grand prix (already beat the first one in expert) and then time attack.

Yo SOL, I don't know if this question was asked yet, but.

Will Alex Kidd be useable for online play by Christmas day, it'll be a waste if he wasn't.

Finally managed to get online last night - apparently the trick is to pull up the Nintendo customer service page so I'm all ready to enter the error code, and then start the game . . . so it'll work instead of giving me a code rolleyes.gif - and get my first look at the Burning Rangers track.  Yikes!

Oddly, I got a 4th place (out of 4) even though the game respawned me 3 times and cut me off at the end (I was SOOO lost!), whereas the other tracks I didn't finish I got a DNF.  Finally I managed a 4/6 finish and actually scored some points, and then was going quite well (3-4 out of 7) through the third lap of a track I knew well - and the network fouled. angry.png   All the DNF tracks I hadn't played before, so clearly I need to unlock a few more tracks before trying online again!

I don't think that Sanctuary Falls is at all fair as the first Ring challenge you come to.  I sat down determined to finally get 2 stars on it last night and put 28,073 XP on Tails before I got it, not counting the number of times I've tried it previously.  Considering that about 3/4 of the time I fouled up on the first heap of ruins and got fewer than 400 points, you can see that that's an awful lot of playthroughs.  Between the ruins on front and that wicked S-curve at the end, that is a nasty track for the early bit of the game.  I ended up an awful lot of times with my ship's nose butted into a wall or platform, unable to turn around or back up. 

So I fumble my way onward, causing much chaos but generally having a great time.  I love this game- just wish I had a bit more time to work on it!

Yo SOL, I don't know if this question was asked yet, but.

Will Alex Kidd be useable for online play by Christmas day, it'll be a waste if he wasn't.

Yup

:P

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 1

Put this under wishful thinking, but I had an awesome idea for a track last night.

Using a similar trick to the Race of Ages course. Imagine a Sonic CD themed track, could be based of any zone, though due to the nature of Transformed, Palmtree Panic is probably the most obvious.

As you approach the last section of track, there is a break in it like Race of Ages, only as a vertical climb (like palmtree panic has). Only one side has a 'Past' sign, the other has 'Future' sign. Whoever is in first place would decide if the next section of track takes place on a past/future segment.

I just thought it would be really cool.

• Thumbs Up 7

Put this under wishful thinking, but I had an awesome idea for a track last night.

Using a similar trick to the Race of Ages course. Imagine a Sonic CD themed track, could be based of any zone, though due to the nature of Transformed, Palmtree Panic is probably the most obvious.

As you approach the last section of track, there is a break in it like Race of Ages, only as a vertical climb (like palmtree panic has). Only one side has a 'Past' sign, the other has 'Future' sign. Whoever is in first place would decide if the next section of track takes place on a past/future segment.

I just thought it would be really cool.

You know, I was expecting Stardust Speedway to be the bonus track along with Metal Sonic and it would've played it much like you described here..

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, just unlocked the super fan-service! Currently have 189 stars, and there's a gate in SuperStar Showdown that needs 200 :/ I'll have to go back to the other tours and complete some expert missions.

On a side note... TRAFFIC ATTACK. Sumo, you're mean, the expert traffic attack is Godlike! When I complete one single expert or even hard traffic attack mission, I feel like completed the entire game xD

Still couldn't complete de Shibuya Downtown expert one, but at least I did the Sunshine Tour. And now Mambo de Verano is encrypted onto my brain...

¡MAMBO PARA MÍ, MAMBO LO QUIERO ASÍ!

Es verano, vamos. ¡Toca un mambo por favor!

Edited by Jingle
  • Thumbs Up 1

SOL i want to ask you something. hows the 3ds version of sonic and all stars transformed going. and i beat all of the sumo ghosts only with sonic and with no mods like 10 or 15 days back. you guys were hard to beat.

S0L I was wondering.

Does Sumo have a favourite track or one that you're quite particually proud/fond of? I know that chances are there won't be a universal 'this is our favourite.' But is there a track that the majority particually like over the others?

SOL i want to ask you something. hows the 3ds version of sonic and all stars transformed going. and i beat all of the sumo ghosts only with sonic and with no mods like 10 or 15 days back. you guys were hard to beat.

You beat all the expert ghosts with no mods? Nice work :) That's not easy!

3DS version we're just waiting to hear back from Nintendo on, on track for a post Christmas release now (still waiting for a date!).

S0L I was wondering.

Does Sumo have a favourite track or one that you're quite particually proud/fond of? I know that chances are there won't be a universal 'this is our favourite.' But is there a track that the majority particually like over the others?

Everyone likes different tracks. My favourite is Golden Axe just as I think that one really came together nicely, that and I put forward the idea to race on lava (and then had to row it through!). Plus... That music. Richard really knocked that one out of the park...!

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 1

...and I'm stilllll waiting for the PC version... Seriously, what's taking it so freaking long???

You know how games consoles have locked and fixed hardware - PC's not so much :P

It'll be worth the wait mind!

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure if that has been asked already SOL, but who would you say is your favourite character to play as and what mod equipped?

Yay, all stars collected at least! Amy in standard mod is the traffic-attack lady, done Shibuya and Ocean View with her easily. Also unlocked Eggman. Total play time to this 21 hours... now to do the expert ghosts!

I've got nearly double that time, and I'm still working on the Tour with 91 stars.  I did run through the Grand Prix to pickup the two "E's" (plus Mii!), and all my presently-available characters are at level 4-5 except the one I unlocked last night.  Then I did the Golden Axe ring race on first try on easy, and about 5th try on Medium - and except for the time I got hung up on a building, I was within a ring of the Finish each time I expired.

It is very weird to hear the crowd start chanting 'Me! Me! Me!' on the third lap - shouldn't they at least be chanting 'You! You! You!'?  They aren't the ones racing! tongue.png (Yes, I know it's actually 'Mii'; it still sounds a bit surreal.)  Come to think of It, I don't remember hearing the chant at all for MeeMee.  Hmmm.

You know how games consoles have locked and fixed hardware - PC's not so much tongue.png

It'll be worth the wait mind!

---

S0L

---

I hope so. Does that mean it will be nicely optimised and will lool better than on consoles?

I hope so. Does that mean it will be nicely optimised and will lool better than on consoles?

Well...that and the PC version will have exclusive character(s). 

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

Well...that and the PC version will have exclusive character(s). 

While it's nice and everything, it's not an excuse for holding back the release. Conversely, optimising and polishing the game is.