Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

you need to do a level 3 boost start in every vehicle form, the timing on the plane start is a little different to the car and boat so that's probably why it hasn't pinged yet for you.

That's the thing though, I have done boost starts on all vehicle forms and have even gone back to do it again. Is this how everyone has unlocked it?

So I'm really glad that the PC version of this game will be getting the treatment and care it deserves, but I can't help but wonder whether it's a good idea to put extra work into the PC version of a racing game. Racing games work better with a gamepad, and that is a fact because keyboards are digital, and steering is inherently analog unless the game's programming interprets the controls as binary (which I assume is not the case with modern racing games). So why put effort and love into the PC version? Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy they're doing this and not just giving us a crappy port, but the PC version probably won't be as popular simply because it's a racing game, so is it worth it?

What are your thoughts on this? It's fine for people who have USB gamepads that work on their computers (I do), but I don't think most PC gamers have USB gamepads.

Edited by Frogging101

So I'm really glad that the PC version of this game will be getting the treatment and care it deserves, but I can't help but wonder whether it's a good idea to put extra work into the PC version of a racing game. Racing games work better with a gamepad, and that is a fact because keyboards are digital, and steering is inherently analog unless the game's programming interprets the controls as binary (which I assume is not the case with modern racing games). So why put effort and love into the PC version? Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy they're doing this and not just giving us a crappy port, but the PC version probably won't be as popular simply because it's a racing game, so is it worth it?

What are your thoughts on this?

...Plug a gamepad into your PC?

...Plug a gamepad into your PC?

I knew I'd forgotten something in my post...

Most people I know don't have gamepads for their PC. I can plug a gamepad into my PC, but do most PC gamers have USB gamepads?

I knew I'd forgotten something in my post...

Most people I know don't have gamepads for their PC. I can plug a gamepad into my PC, but do most PC gamers have USB gamepads?

From my experience it's kind of rare that PC gamers don't have gamepads.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering the Xbox 360 wired controller works with any PC game, and is widely available and quite a nice game pad in its own right, I'm pretty sure most PC gamers have one or a similar controller lying around. You basically need one if you're not playing a shooter, RPG, or strategy game.

Trying to improve my A-Game as Pudding so I can beat some of these challenges. I'll unlock the credits eventually! 

The reason why PC Gamers don't use Gamepads (from what you're saying) is that they are playing a shooter.

If you're playing a racer, platformer, or shooter, you will most likely see people using a GamePad.

Considering the Xbox 360 wired controller works with any PC game, and is widely available and quite a nice game pad in its own right, I'm pretty sure most PC gamers have one or a similar controller lying around. You basically need one if you're not playing a shooter, RPG, or strategy game.

Yeah the 360 pad actually works out of the box with most Steam games, especially multi-platform ones. The default controls are configured to be the same as an actual 360. This is the case with most of SEGA's steam games.

I use a 360 pad, usually. Unless I'm playing a shooter, in which case the keyboard and mouse set-up is vastly better. 

Do you guys have any tips for clearing A-Rank challenges? Is there any characters/mods I should be focusing on? 

Do you guys have any tips for clearing A-Rank challenges? Is there any characters/mods I should be focusing on? 

Try focusing on Speed or Boost for Races, Handling for Pursuit/Hard tracks like Chilly Castle, Acceleration for Battle Races and the like. If you've gone down a track before try figuring out which mod you would have and work from there.

Console Mods are a bit of a gamble; if you can pull off being good without much Acceleration and Handling, the extra Speed and Boost will do wonders but if you're not confident in them, stick to the other mods.

• Thumbs Up 1

Had another frustrating and saddening experience with S&ASRT earlier. I just can't beat most missions in World Tour on anything but easy difficulty. I really want to enjoy this game, but I'm not having fun at all. It's not just difficulty and not being able to unlock content either. Planes and boats don't handle well and don't offer much, other than you're controlling a different vehicle. Tracks aren't as well designed as in the first game either in my opinion.

It's all about practice and dedication, Shadz. My 14 year old brother, couldn't beat Medium challenges until a day later and he is now tackling Hard. The game is not that hard at all. Beating all Expert Ghosts is however, insanely hard.

Controls also took me some getting used to. I started playing the game in B-class, and found it difficult. Now B-class is generally pretty easy and I'm in the middle of doing all the expert missions.

Plane and boat handling definitely takes some getting used to, but I think they do handle well. It just takes a bit of practice, and in world tour, character choice is really important.

Ugh, I've just about quit on this game. Had enough of it. 

With that said, how about some personal opinions on it?

VEDJ-F's Not-Review

-First off, the curve of the game seems to follow a bell curve of sorts.

• It's initially pretty hard to get into the game due to how limited things are. You only have four levels to play around in, with World Tour mode being very linear. In comparison (only in regards to presentation, not gameplay at all), CTR had most tracks available in Arcade mode and all the cups available in easy mode even without touching Adventure Mode, and Mario Kart generally has half the tracks available in 50cc. There should have been at least eight tracks available from the start, because it otherwise feels very restricted off the bat. To give ASRT credit, you can unlock tracks by playing Matchmaker mode and not just exclusively through World Tour mode. That makes things a bit easier to sink your teeth into.
  • After a while, things get better, with World Tour being pretty addictive to play through and the tracks unlocking at a relatively fast pace. I also did a bunch of Matermaker races until I got the trophy for winning one (yeah, it took me about 20-30 races to win one). Even the mod obtaining was fun...while you were still unlocking things.
  • Finally, there's a dip again. Like Shadz, I'm not that great at racing games, so I have a limit as to how I can progress. And this game punishes you HARD for it, because there's plenty of characters and World Tour stages that are basically only available to you if you're really good with the genre. As I'm not, I've gotten as far as unlocking Pudding and am now completely dissuaded because I've done everything I can and can't reach 60 stars for the next step. Then I found out that Espio didn't have a sticker, and I was left without an incensive to continue playing, so I've gone back to Heroes.

-The amount of glitches is ridiculous for a finished product. As I said elsewhere, I've fulfilled the conditions for Laser Ghost already, but the game didn't grant it. I've also had times where I was forced to respawn even though I completed a landing just fine and within the boundaries of the track, and times when I was forced to drive backwards without the effect of a twister which caused me to lose so much time. And I don't think I've even encountered the big glitches that other have reported.

-The tracks themselves are...okay, as is the music. Nothing super memorable, but nothing ear grinding either. The transformation gimmick is actually handled well, although the track designs let it down by not being that distinct. Fave is probably Graffiti City, of the new batch. 

-There's one character who I think really made an impression in the game...but I'll leave that for another topic.

-Overall, not that impressed. Once you get used to it, it does let you have fun for a while, but you're not going to get a super amount of replayability if this isn't your sort of genre. 

Also, to the suggestion that it just takes practice; not always. From years of experience, I know that I have a certain threshold where I can't do any better no matter how much practice I put in. ASRT has already threatened to go beyond that in just B class. :/

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, I just don't think I've got the patience when it's this hard, especially when I'm not even enjoying the game anyway. Game content like that, or any content really, shouldn't be unlocked through beating higher difficulties anyway. Difficulties should be an optional thing for players of different skill levels. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Guess this is a love it or hate it game. Personally, I love it more than the original because of all the options and interesting track design due to some changing every lap, which is a nice spin on the kart racer genre. The game is hard on hard, but I find medium to be just right. The controls are smoother IMO and it's much better on the Gamepad than the PS3 due to the L and RB buttons being bigger and more responsive.

>People complain Sonic games are too easy now-a-days and want challenge that isn't cheaply placed enemies or bottomless pits.

>Sumo/SEGA give us a challenging racing title that requires actual skill to beat.

>People complain it's too hard.

Make your mind up already.

Yes it's hard, far harder than the original title but it's far better in every aspect, except online and honestly seeing all this crying over how hard it is and how it's a bad product due to it's difficultly and how a few people can't beat it is honestly making me roll my eyes and falling for how predictable this fan base has become when it comes to Sonic and his games.

The bottom line? You'll never be happy with what you get, even when a quality product like this is in your fucking hands.

/rant.

• Thumbs Up 7

>People complain Sonic games are too easy now-a-days and want challenge that isn't cheaply placed enemies or bottomless pits.

>Sumo/SEGA give us a challenging racing title that requires actual skill to beat.

>People complain it's too hard.

Make your mind up already.

Yes it's hard, far harder than the original title but it's far better in every aspect, except online and honestly seeing all this crying over how hard it is and how it's a bad product due to it's difficultly and how a few people can't beat it is honestly making me roll my eyes and falling for how predictable this fan base has become when it comes to Sonic and his games.

The bottom line? You'll never be happy with what you get, even when a quality product like this is in your fucking hands.

/rant.

>Implying me and VEDJ-F ever complained Sonic games are too easy these days. I don't think recent Sonic games are too easy at all.

>Comparing a racing game to a normal Sonic game. Erm...no. 

>Implying difficulty is our only problem with the game and that we called it a bad product because of tough difficulty. Read our posts in full.

• Thumbs Up 2

>Implying me and VEDJ-F ever complained Sonic games are too easy these days. I don't think recent Sonic games are too easy at all.

>Comparing a racing game to a normal Sonic game. Erm...no. 

>Implying difficulty is our only problem with the game and that we called it a bad product because of tough difficulty.

> Implying I just meant you both and not others who have complained about this before in the thread tongue.png

I'm sorry for ranting but over the years of lurking here just seeing the argument of "Sonic Games are easy, give us more challenge" batted around for every game SEGA throw at us, then we get a genuinely tough game that is easy to pick up and play, but takes a long time to master it just sort of contradicts itself really.

The only problem I have with this game are the aggressive A.I racers in higher levels of difficultly, even if you're trailing behind in 7th or 8th place, A.I still go out of their way to target you be it from the front or the back, so it essentially makes you feel like it's you Vs EVERYONE, rather than You all Vs Each other, that and you all already know how I feel about the Online collision problem.

Edited by Super Snowiko