S0L

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

I imagine without items it would be even more imbalanced, though. There'd be even less of a reason to pick characters geared toward handling and acceleration over characters with really good speed and boost

Hmmm...I was told I should definitely avoid the Wii U version of this.

Whoever told you that doesn't have the facts, or is some sort of fanboy. It's the exact same game as the PS3 and 360 versions, except there's some extra game modes and the possibility of off-TV play.

I imagine without items it would be even more imbalanced, though. There'd be even less of a reason to pick characters geared toward handling and acceleration over characters with really good speed and boost

Not always, depends.

Boost races are a lot more bearable to deal with because all you have to do is go really fucking fast to win, and there are no items for the A/S-Class AI to utterly decimate hit you with. I've beaten some with these with Beat and his acceleration and handling are really his best stats. But using the balanced mod, his speed and boost aren't that poor.

As long as you know the tracks well and know good opportunities to boost you'll be fine with whichever character.

Sumo got insanely quiet once the game got released.

It's like they don't even care anymore. I had a very bad feeling that this was probably going to happen. A MAJORITY of the game breaking glitches (Still some Wii U things broken like controls and Wii U Pro Controller rumble not working) and stage design glitches.

Bare in mind that if they ARE working on patches, they are having to do so for four different versions of the game, they're still working on the PC version (3DS version is probably gold by now) and put said patches through each system's certification process (of which in particular Microsoft's is supposedly notorious for being a long one).

They did? I thought they were still quite actively talking if S0L's posts on here are anything to go by?

He might mean comparatively. I've sorta felt that too, but only now. Around the release, it was a lot more. Now, it's quite rare. :/

We do all know that it's Christmas right? And it seems that most game companies more or less wind down two weeks before Christmas actually starts?

From the looks of things most of the Sumo guys talk to us here from Sumo, so if thats the case I'm not suprised things have been a tad quiet.

Yeah the whole games industry has been quiet the last few weeks besides sales and deals, it's not all that surprising is it?

S0L has, to begin with, been much more active in feedback and community support than I think anyone expected of an Executive Producer.

Sumo's been out for the holidays and won't be back till January. Didn't you guys hear?

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?409253-Semi-official-fire-questions-at-SUMO-and-get-vague-responses-thread&p=7733614&viewfull=1#post7733614

And with that... I'm going to sign off for the year. It's been a jounrney eh? And one that's not over yet. I've had some motion with regards to DLC, but it's going to be something I'll wait to see how it develops so we can talk about it in the new year.

In the meantime, enjoy the holidays, play nice and we'll pick up things come January (unless I can't resist the urge to come and see what you're all up to in the hols!).

They were even able to answer the pinball physics before they did:

One thing we've actually addressed over here already is the physics in an online game. Between us and SEGA we did try to emulate laggy connections to see how the physics respond in high latency conditions, but now it's out in the real world, we can see that cross continent play actually was worse than we feared. So when people do lag quite badly, when they hit you it can pass on quite large physics impulses. Hence they hit quite hard. What we've done is limit the amount to no worse than standard AI collisions.

So you still have a kinetic experience, but not in a negative way. Again, as I've said many times, we are actively discussing getting this out of the office and into an update. Once I have a solid answer on if and when, I'll be in here shouting about it!

Whew, finally got 165 stars, meaning I've unlocked every character and track.

I think that's pretty much my lot for this game in terms of single-player; no way am I going to have the patience (or, sadly, skill) to 100% this beast. Oh well, at least I managed to unlock every character etc!

right now I have all the stars, and I miss 3-4 stickers and 30 ghosts (all of them beeing the expert ones). I want to 110% the game, like I did with the previous game :P

How many stars are there in the whole game? 

In fairness, I doubt I'll get many (if any) more than I have now, now that I've unlocked everything, but it'd be nice to know just how many I'm missing. Also, I'm dying to know; what is past the 200-star gate after Ages that I'll likely never see? 

The Wii U version is probably the best version of the game, thanks to the new patch.

...except the Wii U version has more freezes than any other version (in my own experience). During Christmas, I played the Wii U version and while I liked the extra stuff, the areas that don't freeze usually in the PS3/360 versions, freezes in the Wii U version.

I mean after playing a local Grand Prix (nothing went wrong during the GP), my friends decided to play a single race (I chose Galactic Parade) and it went stuck in the loading screen. It successfully loaded the second time though.

Then with online and just when the match was about the start the Wii U freezes. 2 online matches later, it freezes again. I'm aware that the PS3 version also freezes sometimes, but it never happened to me before on the PS3.

So to me personally, while the Wii U version has more features and the new patch made the version much better, because of these freezes I don't think the Wii U has the best version of the game. I rather have a version that has less freezes than the one that does.

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

How many stars are there in the whole game? 

In fairness, I doubt I'll get many (if any) more than I have now, now that I've unlocked everything, but it'd be nice to know just how many I'm missing. Also, I'm dying to know; what is past the 200-star gate after Ages that I'll likely never see? 

232, and beyond the 200 gate is Graveyard Gig Boost Race and Race of AGES Mirror Race. Your reward for all that is

AGES' Console Mod

agesmod.JPG

Edited by FourCartridge

Just to check, are the Monkey Ball and Shinobi modes the only exclusive modes/ features (aside from the gamepad map and what have you)?

I tried each mode once. They were dull as crap and I didn't care to play them again. There's nothing about them that used the gamepad or required them to be exclusive to the Wii U version at all. D:

Not to mention there's a degree of auto-targetting making dodging the projectiles disproportionately more difficult than aiming them. It's so fast it might as well be a bullet.

I feel like the items don't really add much to this game at all. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but they don't compliment the game's controls or track design at all. Look at how often a cluster of item capsules are strewn about the beginning of a track, so that immediately when the pack is still together, 4 or so people are gonna pick them up and oblierate each other, letting everyone else escape.

That and there's a lack of a real equalizer item. Not asking for a blue shell, because that's a bit ridiculous, but as you guys have mentioned, the middle of the pack becomes hell, while 1st-2nd duke it out in a free, easy ride, and the items you get aren't as balanced for your position. You can be in first place getting ice, drones, etc, while the guys in 5th are getting BLOWFISH. It makes 1st place a very safe position as opposed to a vulnerable one.

It's just a complete mess and I really think this aspect of the game should've been handled more carefully, with more fair items/item distribution, with more of a SEGA flare to them.

Ah, okay yeah in this case I do agree, since most of the time if im in 3rd or something im mainly just battling other players to get ahead because I have to worry about getting fired at but when im in second or first I feel load's safer since nothing will happen. The track's could be a bit wider I will admit since most of the time you have to get a little bit lucky if an item does hit you.

So ... what, I should avoid purchasing the Wii U version? I'm kinda confused here by all the comments made on it...

The only negative difference between the PS3/360 and the Wii U really is the increase of chance of getting freezes. That's all from my experience.

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

The only times I've really had the game freeze is when me and my brother are both trying to play online together through the same console (one on the TV, one on the gamepad). Every time we've tried that, it's always frozen, but pretty much never outside of that, bar maybe one instance.