Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

I'm not even going to comment on how stupid I think censorship is or how silly it is that communism is given any weight in discussion 20 years after the fall of the wall. I will say it makes some sense; the Third Reich hogs so much attention people forget that Communism could be fairly brutal (some estimates put Stalin's death toll as higher than WW2 Germany's) as well in many countries, ergo its depiction will be banned (consider how nukes are never shown in Japanese media). But this isn't a history or politics thread so I'll can it. I believe it should have been censorship in some countries rather than all, but I digress.

As for the game itself, while I have the PC version, I'm echoing the bitterness towards all the things the PC version is getting. Does it beat out the console versions really that much? While Xbox Live's cost naturally kills the 360 market for casual players, the PSN and Wii U versions theoretically would have a stable base as well.

I guess PC is just so much more suited to multiplayer that it gets the attention, though?

Furthermore, is this new DLC paid or free? Free strikes me as incredible... exactly how does Sumo make money there?

Also going to echo support for a Rome stage or something. More stages are always welcome to present new challenges.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Now you know better that he was talking about the game in particular.

No, I didn't actually. I wasn't sure how else to construe "a system I don't plan on owning".

But whatever, I'll chalk it up to a bad choice of words. My bad.

Didn't Microsoft recently stop charging companies for updates on games? I mean if that was the case, that would make it more convenient for them and they could earn more money.

I guess PC is just so much more suited to multiplayer that it gets the attention, though?

Furthermore, is this new DLC paid or free? Free strikes me as incredible... exactly how does Sumo make money there?

Also going to echo support for a Rome stage or something. More stages are always welcome to present new challenges.

To answer your first question, yeah the PC is pretty much ideal for multiplayer games, especially shooters like the classi Left 4 Dead games, now that game I have a ton more fun on the PC with.

For your second question, yes the character is free.

For the Third, I would wish for more stages myself, through I think one of the SUMO guy's said they weren't doing anymore, I remember one of them saying that on the SEGA Forums. 

Didn't Microsoft recently stop charging companies for updates on games? I mean if that was the case, that would make it more convenient for them and they could earn more money.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-26-microsoft-no-longer-charges-developers-to-patch-their-xbox-360-games

Correct, patches and updates no longer are given a fee. ...I won't even comment on how charging for such in the first place seems like a stupidly simple way to kill innovation.

If nothing else it's a lower barrier to DLC on the HD consoles. However, with the Wii U's poor sales and the fact XBL's fees push out casual gamers (i.e. ones who aren't online regularly but only get on if a friend requests a match), I presume that's why the console versions don't get much love.

It's sad but I guess it's ultimately a product of the market - only one of the three HD consoles has a good selling projection from what I can see, whereas focusing on the mostly-uniform OS of a PC likely proves more cost-effective. Let's not forget the prospect of possible modding capability down the line.

To be honest, I'm amused Sumo hasn't opened the code to some extent to let fans mod it; sufficient-quality mods could be granted recognition and promotion in exchange for a small fee split between the mod team and Sumo. Might prove lucrative. Then again I'm guessing there's a reason they haven't done it.

Patches are free.

IP rights are not.

Certain downloads from certain stores are not.

It's not as simple as some people seem to think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gene had a great idea to restore General Winter, somebody should get around to it:

I propose a mod to bring it back, and maybe even change his All Star music to the Soviet National Anthem.

I thought BlackLightning's post was kind of funny ha ha. Sure it was witty, but hilarious nonetheless.

The reason they're PC exclusive is because they're pretty much advertisements for their PC games. Still disappointing.

Okay, this ticks me off.

Christ, what a drama queen and a dumb reason to change it. I'd be more okay if it was over how CoH2 is being panned hard by the Russians, but some random lowly nutjob?

Now I really hope someone pulls off a mod to restore it back as it should be.

And I agree what Gene said, a restoration mod is needed now just to teach that fuckwit a lesson.

• Thumbs Up 5

I've already said this in the statuses, but those move quickly so it'd be pertinent to nip this in the bud before anything pops off.

Do not go and start a tirade against Roodini or the Sega Forums over this. The whole situation is just kinda dumb overall, and staff would appreciate it if this didn't evolve into embarrassing or cross-site nonsense that forces us to go into Mean Mode. So show some decorum please, even if you disagree with the decision.

• Thumbs Up 3

Fine whatever, but you can't say we shouldn't have a anti-Roodini General Winter mod that restores Winter back to what he was. but overall this shit is just plain stupid, what gives this neckbeard a right to go "WAA WAA THIS OFFENDS ME, CHANGE IT SEGA OR I GIVE MY MONEY BACK!!" and have SEGA cowtow to him? you don't see SEGA giving 2 shits to what the Sonic fanbase has to say or cowtowing unless it gets really bad (read: Sonic 4 physics incident).

Because if this blew up and people in the general public sided with Roodini, then SEGA would be in some hot water. 

But the general plublic isn't that stupid and his kind a few & far between, couple 100 at the most. hes a drama queen and he would be easily shot down.

There was no reason for SEGA to be scared of this dipshit or what the plublic would think.

Edited by goku262002

Man, ANOTHER PC exclusive character?  Common Sega, Sonic Transformed my be almost a year old, but if your going to keep putting new characters in it, at least make a DLC pack that includes  General Winter, the Sparta dude, Football Manager, and Shogun for 5 bucks as that way console owners don't feel cheated; they may be PC characters, but they look more than cool enough to warrant a DLC release.

And what about the poll you let Sumo make for future DLC characters? Sega fans will eat up Ryo or Sega Sagato DLC (even a 2 dollar track would be good enough) and even if you don't go the DLC route, you could simply make a Sonic Transformed GOTY Edition with all the PC characters and 3 Sega characters along with at least 3 new tracks (that fit with Outrun Bay to make a full cup) and sell it at a budget price of 30 bucks on current and next gen consoles (with those respective platforms having 60 FPS and 1080p resolution). 

Transformed is a great game Sega and its wonderful that you and Sumo Digital are still supporting the PC version, especially with serious characters racing with Sonic and company, but you are leaving console owners in the dark how brought the game day one and would love to play more content of this fun game. 

And what about the poll you let Sumo make for future DLC characters?

Again...

They didn't let Sumo make that.

S0L did it off his own back and at the risk of his own reputation because he was so sick and tired of all the 'add X to the game' it's all mentioned in that interview he did.

Sega never asked him to do that, all what he promised was that he would take the results to the next meeting if fans could organise themselves, nothing was ever promised nor expected to come from it.

Again...

They didn't let Sumo make that.

S0L did it off his own back and at the risk of his own reputation because he was so sick and tired of all the 'add X to the game' it's all mentioned in that interview he did.

Sega never asked him to do that, all what he promised was that he would take the results to the next meeting if fans could organise themselves, nothing was ever promised nor expected to come from it.

Man, I forgot SOL was nice enough to do that himself (not to mention being nice enough to talk with us about the game development and even put the Sonic Stadium in the credits of the game), so sorry for posting false statements :(

Still, he did say 1 character was approved from the poll, and with there being 4 PC exclusive characters, a really solid DLC pack could be made on consoles with five characters (the PC characters + the poll winner) for 5-8 bucks, its just a shame that Sega will most likely not do that idea though. 

Anyone wanna take bets on Miku coming out next month? When Miku's game is released?

If she doesn't come to consoles I'll be piiissed.

I'd really like to play as Miku 8( (even if she's overrated)

Going back to the subject of the censorship of General Winter, I believe it may have less to do wih one angry dude on the Sega forums and more to do with a massive ****storm COH2 is currently facing in Russia over perceptions of the Soviet Union in WW2:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/5/4590812/company-of-heroes-2-furor-russian-distributor-1c-softclub-halts-sales

Yeah just saw that on Retro, seems there IS something to the rumor of the Russians being ticked over COH2 and since Winter is connected with that game hes affected.

Still demand a mod though.

Someone bitter and talented enough will probably make a mod. Although I didn't know a symbol as seemingly innocuous as a red star of all things would invoke such reactions from both sides of the aisle, but that's me being culturally ignorant, innit?

If Sega is indeed responding to Russian demand to change the General's design because it is insensitive to their views of the time period, then understandable. But the Sega Forumer in question who was thought to have changed it frankly seemed to be trolling, as they were upset that the General had even been considered a character on the basis of wanting someone else, or separation of new and classic characters, or something. Their entire modus operandi changed completely when someone sarcastically asked if General Winter did something personal to their family, by which then they finally started getting into the entire bit about historical insensitivity and rolling with it. It seemed completely disingenuous in the beginning, and I was ready to call Sega potentially dumb for listening to such a person.

But again, at the end of the day, this is a texture change, of a star to a snowflake...... The furor over it seems a little weird to me.

Well. All I can say here is... meh. I'll give the benefit of the doubt that it's just another case of PC. One person wouldn't be enough to stir up such a ruckus right?

...right?