Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

Am I the only one who doesn't even know who this guy is? I'm honestly at a loss here.

Simon is from Yogscast. 

They did a video about some random Green Hill map on Minecraft and you can easily tell that they barely know shit about Sonic.

EDIT: Found the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7D1iorZt0

I'm not sure what's more confusing.

The fact that some YouTube "celebrity" was even added at all or the fact that despite being based off of a real person, he is nothing at all like Danica Patrick and is actually stylized. It honestly just makes me irritated at Danica more than anything else.

I'm not sure what's more confusing.

The fact that some YouTube "celebrity" was even added at all or the fact that despite being based off of a real person, he is nothing at all like Danica Patrick and is actually stylized. It honestly just makes me irritated at Danica more than anything else.

ASRTcharity.png

I guess he isn't TOO out of place, but it still fucking weird to have a youtuber in ASRT.

Screw Simon from Yogscast, i want TotalBiscuit to be a racing character for SASASRT.

He's boycotting SEGA because of the Shining Force fiasco from a year or 2 ago.

The ever-trollish Lycett wasn't kidding when he said this would result in controversy.

I'm just really puzzled about the inclusion. Ralph and Danica make lots of sense since they each did their part to plug Sonic in the run-up to the game's release. Has this guy aggressively promoted the SEGA brand as well? I confess I don't watch much gaming stuff so I'm not quite sure.

I believe he did ONE video about ASRT and that it.

Plus, he mostly do Minecraft videos and barely does anything related to SEGA.

It's not hard to guess why exactly Simon is in. The Yogscast uses the idea of Simon, Honeydew, lovable dwarf-obsessed fat git, as a mascot. This isn't a question of "Hey Simon you wanna be in", this is "ok, for charity, we want your 6 million subscribers helping. What do you have we can use as a character? What's iconic for the Yogscast?

... Jaffa cakes? Aren't those trademarked? Actually, isn't the most known thing of the Yogscast the fact Simon exists?"

That said, I'm stumped as to why Simon and not Honeydew, the character from the Minecraft videos and WoW videos and Yogscast the Game and all that. He looks neat though so eh. Probably an All-Star.

It's weird that people are flipping out about this.

I think a lot of people are upset because there was promised DLC and it all came to a platform that people didn't buy their game on. Now with a random character that isn't even SEGA related gets added in, you can start to see the tears rolling in.

Sigh.

I think a lot of people are upset because there was promised DLC and it all came to a platform that people didn't buy their game on. Now with a random character that isn't even SEGA related gets added in, you can start to see the tears rolling in.

Sigh.

You bring up that DLC was "promised" as if we were somehow deceived. What were we promised and when? Most of the PC DLC has been a surprise, and whenever the subject of console DLC came up it was treated as a possibility, to my recollection.

• Thumbs Up 1

I understand patching characters on consoles costs money, and I dont know if the characters were promised or not (though doing a survey indicates it, at least), I feel neglected by Sega as a console gamer.

I won't complain in Simon's case since he has a lot of fans, appearently, and the money goes to charity (can't be mad about that), but ignoring the console fanbase of this game (which is appearently much bigger than the PC one) for a whole year just annoys me, even if they have good reasons for doing so.

And I'm still pretty sure he'll fit better than Danica Patrick. 

It's weird that people are flipping out about this. I might understand if this was revealed over a year ago when we only expected established SEGA characters, but since then, we've had a NASCAR driver, Wreck-It Ralph, the Team Fortress Mercs, and the made-up General Winter after SEGA's acquisition of Relic. And on top of that, other PC exclusives like the Shogun, Football Manager and Willemus weren't characters either.

But no. THIS character, the one that's optional and being done for charity, is the really stupid one. This is the one that compromises the purity of the roster. C'mon, at least this is for a good cause. And for most of you, it's not even on your platform. 

I'll probably be picking it up. I made like, 40 bucks in my Steam Wallet by selling some TF2 items.

concept wise? No. Danica is a RACER. I'm pretty sure a racer would fit in a racing game better than a youtuber.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure that's why people are "flipping out" over this. It's a Youtuber. It's just strange. Yeah stranger than a NASCAR racer. Stranger than Wreck it Ralph(although he makes the most sense), stranger than General Winter. A youtuber just is...why? Yeah charity, but how much does this actually benefit sega compared to if they chose a character from a actual game that people were familiar with?

I mean literally at this point ANYTHING could be in this game now. Heck, let's put the Jake from State Farm in! Or the mr clean guy. It's just a little tiresome seeing characters like this get in over characters people actually want. It would help the game, sumo, sega AND fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

If they were going to do the charity thing, another, more recognizable character would probably bring in way more money. I imagine the only people who are for sure going to donate to get the character itself are Yogscast fans. 

YOU KNOW WHO'S NEXT GUYS.

_updated_sammyclassicsonicfan__the_sound

"Iiiiim gonna win ya fricken fricks!"

But the Yogscast? Really? I don't even....

Yeah charity, but how much does this actually benefit sega compared to if they chose a character from a actual game that people were familiar with?

Is the goal to benefit SEGA or is the goal to do a team-up charity event thing? Hell, it's silly but it's a seemingly optional character promoting a charity event. It's not a big deal to me.
  • Thumbs Up 1

So like, I'm still waiting for Danny and Arin from Game Grumps. (EDIT: Or I guess Danny and Ross, since Steam Train.)

Being optional doesn't make disappointment disappear. People just get tired of these kind of characters getting in when Sega could be doing much more interesting things with the game. How many people wanted Winter? Or this guy? Or half of the PC exclusives? Word of something new gets announced only to end up being something that makes all but a very slim few go "....wtf?" Again the charity in my mind would have been better off with a Sega character that people know or want over a Youtuber that may or may not be familiar to most people.

concept wise? No. Danica is a RACER. I'm pretty sure a racer would fit in a racing game better than a youtuber.

I meant aesthetically. Danica has a mostly-realistic, normally-proportioned model. Simon on the other hand is very stylized and cartoonish, which is more along the lines of what you'd expect to see in a game full of bright and colorful characters.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure that's why people are "flipping out" over this. It's a Youtuber. It's just strange. Yeah stranger than a NASCAR racer. Stranger than Wreck it Ralph(although he makes the most sense), stranger than General Winter. 

Not really. Both were completely out of the left field, but at least there's some kind of reasoning behind this promotion besides "Danica's a popular NASCAR driver, let's put her in the game."

A youtuber just is...why? Yeah charity, but how much does this actually benefit sega compared to if they chose a character from a actual game that people were familiar with?

First of all, licensing a character isn't always a simple or cheap process, and often involves dealing with rights holders, actors, and creative consultants who may or may not expect compensation. Secondly, Yogscast seems to have had success in several different charity initiatives, and a massive following on Youtube. Their followers are the ones who are expected to go support it; it's being made readily available to them through the Humble Bundle- another charity initiative. 

And lastly, the host (SEGA) reaping huge benefits from a charity usually isn't the point of the charity. 

I mean literally at this point ANYTHING could be in this game now. Heck, let's put the Jake from State Farm in! Or the mr clean guy. It's just a little tiresome seeing characters like this get in over characters people actually want. It would help the game, sumo, sega AND fans.

Oh please. This is just being ridiculous. 

Yes, this character is silly. Yes, it's out of the left field. No, it's not "random" or without any reason, and no, we're not getting this in place of someone else. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Yogscast from what I've heard, sounds like they couldn't care less for Sonic. I don't see the fanbase doing all that much, as most of the supporters would, for the most part, have to already own the game. If I was a fan, I probably wouldn't want to go out of the trouble to buy a game I wasn't interested in to begin with, just for a character of a guy I like.

As for licensing, they still have a disposal of popular characters they could probably use. If not, there's always a Sonic Character. People eat up that series.

Still, I think they could have used a more interesting character for the charity that was actually from the video game medium. Doesn't matter if this is optional or charity. I'm still disappointed by what we got. It may not be taking someone's place, but it sure is another announcement that takes my patience for something meaningful and interesting to happen with this game.

Hmmmm

It was pulled down. An email to someone who managed to get a donation in (for $1) broke things down a little more.

Basically, people who donate $1 get some TF2 hat. You have to donate $25 minimum to get the games. This DLC is not mentioned.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=27946&view=findpost&p=770511

Yogscast from what I've heard, sounds like they couldn't care less for Sonic.

This is pretty much irrelevant. The game wasn't even internally treated as a Sonic game, but even if it were, this doesn't matter. 

I don't see the fanbase doing all that much, as most of the supporters would have to already own the game. If I was a fan, I probably wouldn't want to go out of the trouble to buy a game I wasn't interested in to begin with, just for a character of a guy I like.

Again, the game is going to be on the new Humble Bundle. Newcomers are going to get to pay what they want for the game. They could go pay anything, and the proceeds would go to charity. The game will be readily available to any Yogscast fan who wants to purchase it.

Edit: Misread Hogfather's post. 

Since no one reads the comments, feel free to pass this information around, rest of Internet. Via a SEGA Europe representative that saw the article.

SpecialEffect is a charity based in the U.K. that helps children with disabilities enjoy games much like we all do, only without the rampant complaining and scrutiny and such. Their work includes creating modified joypads or eye-control functionality so that people are able to just play the vidya.

Good enough cause once you get through the whole odd choice for a character pick.

• Thumbs Up 7

A youtuber just is...why? Yeah charity, but how much does this actually benefit sega compared to if they chose a character from a actual game that people were familiar with?

Again: over 6 million subscribers. This is not just some random dude, they're 27th for most subscribers on all of Youtube. I think it's fair to consider that yeah, maybe this will sell more than some third string Sega character.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Again: over 6 million subscribers. This is not just some random dude, they're 27th for most subscribers on all of Youtube. I think it's fair to consider that yeah, maybe this will sell more than some third string Sega character.

But, the majority of buyers bought it to see SEGA recognise their other franchises, just like Skies of Arcadia or Billy Hatcher, Space Channel 5 and the like. So the inclusion of someone just like Ristar would've gone down much better.