Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

I'm actually taking a very non-Sonic approach to this game. Really, Sonic makes up for like 10% of my excitement.

The problem for you then is that Sonic characters will be making up at least 18% of the roster, and that's before any others get announced, like Metal or Shadow!

As much as I want that to happen, I'm pretty much positive that nothing from SOR will be in the game.

Okay... what's your basis for this?

Okay... what's your basis for this?

Cuz he said so.

EDIT: Oh crap my finger slipped and I accidently posted that, I was just typing for lulz.

Edited by SuperJXJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

What's the likelihood of Arle and Carbuncle from Puyo Puyo getting in this game?

I imagine they'd have an awesome puyo car that molds itself into different modes rather than transforming mechanically. It would stretch and squash like a gelatin mold instead of having moving parts assemble into something different. It'd be cool if it also changed color for each mode. Red = land, blue = water, purple = air.

For their all-star they grow a cannon that fires puyos everywhere and everyone who drives into them gets stuck in them.

Edited by PsychoJosh
  • Thumbs Up 2

This new engine that the game is running on...is it more mod-friendly than the Sunshine engine?

The problem for you then is that Sonic characters will be making up at least 18% of the roster, and that's before any others get announced, like Metal or Shadow!

Actually I'm all for an expanded Sonic roster. The Sonic franchise kicks Mario's ass when it comes to unique characters. I look at Mario Kart's roster and it's like a handful of unique characters and then their evil versions and skeleton versions. Really lame. So I'd be all for the characters from the first returning along with Blaze, Rouge, Silver and the Chaotix added in. Maybe the Jet too, to rep the Babylon Rogues or give them cameos along with Cream.

• Thumbs Up 7

If the Sonic fanboys had it their way every Sonic character would be in with absolutely no one else. You have to draw the line somewhere, like the instant you start wanting characters that have offered nothing of value to the series, namely the Babylon Rogues. Honestly I think Motobug would be a better addition than most of the Sonic characters suggested.

Actually yeah fuck Silver, fuck the Rogues, give me Motobug.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think the Babylon Rogues are relevant as racers. The trouble is, they aren't one character, they're three. I'm not sure you can justify all of them.

I think the Babylon Rogues are relevant as racers. The trouble is, they aren't one character, they're three. I'm not sure you can justify all of them.
Why not put all three of them together into one vehicle? Hell, considering they already mostly take the same roles as Transformed's vehicles, you could have them switch seats between transformations - Jet on the ground, Wave in the air and Storm on water. Even more awesome still, you could work in some variant of the turpulence mechanic from Riders 1 as their all star move. Brilliant.

You have to draw the line somewhere, like the instant you start wanting characters that have offered nothing of value to the series, namely the Babylon Rogues.
GTFO.png
  • Thumbs Up 6

GTFO.png

No. I stand by what I said. Used toilet paper has better character designs than whatever sheet of paper was used to design the Rogues.

I'd rather put a worthwhile Sonic character in the game of the ones remaining, like Rouge, Blaze or Big.

Edited by PsychoJosh

Honestly I don't mind the Chaotix. I'd rather not have them in the game right now though because there's many other characters I'd much rather have in the game over them. I don't like the idea of them taking up three initial character slots or driving in the same vehicle altogether.

So I propose, make the Chaotix DLC. Make them a pack of three separate characters that you buy for a fee. That'd be much better than sacrificing the slots for Sega newcomers just to accommodate them. Sonic fans get their Chaotix, Sega fans get their superstars, everyone wins.

No. I stand by what I said. Used toilet paper has better character designs than whatever sheet of paper was used to design the Rogues.

I'd rather put a worthwhile Sonic character in the game of the ones remaining, like Rouge, Blaze or Big.

Honestly, I'm really not sure what I find more amusing - the fact that you'd discount actual relevance to the racing genre and an existing synergy almost identical to Transformed's based on your personal design tastes, or that you feel a literal joke character like Big somehow takes precedence over that. To be honest I probably partly set myself up for a reply like this just by using an img macro but it doesn't make it any less sad.

Why are you talking to yourself.
Trolling doesn't work that way.

EDIT: Oh crap, this isn't the racer thread? Wow I am really out of it today.

Edited by The Cheese

Honestly, I'm really not sure what I find more amusing - the fact that you'd discount actual relevance to the racing genre and an existing synergy almost identical to Transformed's based on your personal design tastes,

Relevance? The Rogues are IRRELEVANT. To everything. This isn't an EXTREME JET BOARDING MOUNTAIN DEW SICK TRICKS OVER A LAVA FIELD BRAH kind of game, it's an auto racing game with a unique twist that's also a celebration of Sega's history. The Rogues haven't contributed much of anything to either Sonic or Sega's legacy, they only appear in a derivative, unoriginal and lackluster racing spinoff series that has never been anything but a critical and commercial failure. They should and WILL be forgotten in this game, and for that I am eternally grateful.

You want "relevance", you put stuff from Sega's arcade racers in the game, like Daytona, Scud Race and Outrun, not the Rogues.

or that you feel a literal joke character like Big somehow takes precedence over that. To be honest I probably partly set myself up for a reply like this just by using an img macro but it doesn't make it any less sad.

I'm not being facetious. Big fucking rules. He is adorable, funny, endearing and everything that the Rogues aren't. If you're saying that I'm insinuating he's a better character then the Rogues, then YES, that is exactly what I am saying, he kicks their asses in spades. He is awesome. I will fight you.

Edited by PsychoJosh

Honestly, I'm really not sure what I find more amusing - the fact that you'd discount actual relevance to the racing genre and an existing synergy almost identical to Transformed's based on your personal design tastes, or that you feel a literal joke character like Big somehow takes precedence over that. To be honest I probably partly set myself up for a reply like this just by using an img macro but it doesn't make it any less sad.

Them coming from a racing game has no relevance at all. Don't kid yourself. And since when are the three split into ground, air and water?

Also, I think design and how likeable a character is far more important than how much they fit into a racing game. Don't see how that is amusing at all. I'd take a likeable character who doesn't fit into a racing game at all over a shitty one who does.

And why shouldn't Big take precedence over them?

Trolling doesn't work that way.

It made more sense in my head.

It's a shame the all-star moves were'nt allowed in the online mode of the first game. Yes i know they would have been completely unfair, but a lot of the fun i got from the game was using a favourite character and having their own characteristics affecting the gameplay, even slightly...

such as the way exitable characters such as Amy and Sonic jump around in their cars like loonies.

Yeah, I hope they add more characteristic variables in this one. Just a thought.

Looking forward to the air and water track sections to add a lot more variety with the vehicles.

Relevance? The Rogues are IRRELEVANT. To everything. This isn't an EXTREME JET BOARDING MOUNTAIN DEW SICK TRICKS OVER A LAVA FIELD BRAH kind of game.
Neither is it a platforming game but apparently that doesn't stop Sonic from showing up. What's your point?

The irony here is that Sonic Riders actually did a lot of the stuff from ASR1/2 first, including the air tricks. They would've basically been the same game if they'd thrown in the standard Kart-game pickups while they were at it.

The Rogues haven't contributed much of anything to either Sonic or Sega's legacy, they only appear in a derivative, unoriginal and lackluster racing spinoff that hasn't pushed any boundaries.
Unoriginal? Fuck me, have you even played the game before? Riders 1 had one of the best catchup mechanics I've seen in a racing game before, and the metagame was really intriguing once you got over the learning curve. Again, ironically you're talking about this in the context of what is quite blatantly a straight Mario Kart clone, so if you're gonna hate on something for unoriginality you might as well just go home right now.

I'm not being facetious. Big fucking rules. He is adorable, funny, endearing and everything that the Rogues aren't.
Apples and oranges. Is this supposed to prove anything beyond the fact they're different appeals?

And since when are the three split into ground, air and water?
Almost being the key word there. Giving Storm a boat isn't much of a stretch, but besides that, yeah, it pretty much matches up.

Also, I think design and how likeable a character is far more important than how much they fit into a racing game.
Aaaaaaaaand enter Big, who is quite obviously the single most notorious character in the entire history of the franchise right behind Shadow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otjanp9aXgw

In all seriousness, "likeability" is really not an objective term, so let's stop throwing it around, K? That kind of opinionated dick-jousting doesn't really help anyone.

And why shouldn't Big take precedence over them?
Because when people think of Big they generally think of the single worst genre roulette that ever took place in the history of Sonic games - Riders at the very least had a clever concept behind it and kept it consistent all the way through. To say nothing of the fact that Big is, by Sumo's own admission if I remember right, a joke addition in the first place.
  • Thumbs Up 2

That's the thing; Big is obvious to anyone that he's in there for the heck of it. The rest of the Sonic racers were in based on their popularity. The Rogues are neither obvious joke characters or really that popular.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's the thing; Big is obvious to anyone that he's in there for the heck of it. The rest of the Sonic racers were in based on their popularity. The Rogues are neither obvious joke characters or really that popular.

I thought S0L said Big was put in because he's his favourite Sonic character?

Aaaaaaaaand enter Big, who is quite obviously the single most notorious character in the entire history of the franchise right behind Shadow.

In all seriousness, "likeability" is really not an objective term, so let's stop throwing it around, K? That kind of opinionated dick-jousting doesn't really help anyone.

What? Why shouldn't someone use their own preferences when saying who they want in the game? That's just nonsense.

Because when people think of Big they generally think of the single worst genre roulette that ever took place in the history of Sonic games - Riders at the very least had a clever concept behind it and kept it consistent all the way through. To say nothing of the fact that Big is, by Sumo's own admission if I remember right, a joke addition in the first place.

When people think of the Rogues they think of the shitty racing trilogy that was part of taking down the Sonic franchise's popularity.

As far as I remember, Steve once said Big was his favorite character in the first game, by the way.

I thought S0L said Big was put in because he's his favourite Sonic character?

And if he did, I'm pretty sure the reasons for that would be associated with traits that make him work as a joke character.

Aiai had his expanded cast appear via his All-Star Move. I could see Jet and Vector or Espio doing the same. Jet would hop on his board and be flanked by Wave and Storm. Vector or Espio would call upon Charmy and Espio or Vector (depending on who is the main racer) and they could all three operate a tank or something. Of course they'd play this song:

[media=]

Edited by Barry the Nomad

I'd assume if the Chaotix were in with a main single racer, that Vector would be the main character, he did appear in the 2 olympic titles in favour of charmy and espio, I would certainly like to see him/them in just based on my own opinion, and i think the whole idea of triple all-star moves would work really well.

Personally having the Chaotix would be great. a Chance to add some variety putting 3 characters in the same vehicle, I'd like to see a transforming sidecar for them :P

hey, what about having Shadow and Rouge in the same car, not to sacrifice one slot?

• Thumbs Up 1