Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

Nope, we're not planning this. We do have end of race sequences where the vehicles continue to race on a victory lap, and we're looking at you being able to spectate an online race when you join a race in progress, but we're not going to go the whole replay route. It's a fair chunk of work, requires a load of memory - and we're all about the action in a race, quick loads and simple save system.

---

S0L

---

Ah, this is kind of dissapointing to hear. Well.. really I don't ever use the function that much, but a good match would always be great to save. But fair enough Steve,I really can't complain :P

No, S0L said he was there purely to visit Sega of Japan.

So... Japanese Sega stuff, then.

Sonic Team.

Compile.

Yu Suzuki.

Virtua Fighter? Shenmue? Phantasy Star Online? Chuchu Rocket? Puyo Puyo?

Come on, I have to be getting closer...

Hatsune Miku???

I hope SHENMUE, for SUMO's sake biggrin.png

It's kind of possible it will, So i would'nt worry that much if i were you.

and Speaking of the Sonic Team franchises that are new to this... i presuming Puyo Pop Fever? Ristar? Phantasy Star? or NiGHTS? hence that they are somewhat possible if it does.

Virtua Fighter, Shenmue, and Billy Hatcher are probably going to return (considering that they're the niche type for this games, and they're possible to be part of it once again)!

But i really hope Ristar does appear in (as playable though), But i can hope so much...

Edited by Sparkster24

Are we talking about characters again in the non-character discussion thread...? Why I oughta!

Anyway...

I'm back now from Japan - meeting all the good and great over at SEGA at some point this week I'll take some more questions (providing you stick to the rules!) and try and catch up on anything I've missed smile.png

Bonus points to anyone who successfully guesses the name of any of the IP holders I can't talk about smile.png

---

S0L

---

Edited by Wonks

Compile.

Hatsune Miku???

Compile is not Sega and Hatsune Miku is not owned by Sega.

Compile is not Sega and Hatsune Miku is not owned by Sega.

SEGA make the miku games actually, and have cameo'd her or items inspired by her in many games, could be an unexpected third party character, at the end of the day its more publicity for Vocaloid which Supercell wouldn't turn down.

SEGA make the miku games actually, and have cameo'd her or items inspired by her in many games, could be an unexpected third party character, at the end of the day its more publicity for Vocaloid which Supercell wouldn't turn down.

SEGA's yet to bother releasing any Hatsune Miku titles outside of Japan, so I doubt they'd go to efforts to localise her in party title where she'll be overshadowed by much of the rest of the cast.

SEGA's yet to bother releasing any Hatsune Miku titles outside of Japan, so I doubt they'd go to efforts to localise her in party title where she'll be overshadowed by much of the rest of the cast.

you mean JUST like Zobio & Zobiko? yet they still appeared in the game even if they only appeared in a japanese House of the Dead game, yeah i know its highly unlikely.. probably close to impossible but hey its STILL a possibility considering Miku's appeal to the world.

you mean JUST like Zobio & Zobiko? yet they still appeared in the game even if they only appeared in a japanese House of the Dead game, yeah i know its highly unlikely.. probably close to impossible but hey its STILL a possibility considering Miku's appeal to the world.

Vocaloid is huge, so the idea of having Miku isn't exactly as ridiculous as you may think.

Vocaloid is huge, so the idea of having Miku isn't exactly as ridiculous as you may think.

In Japan? Sure. Worldwide? Absolutely not.

Edited by Super Soniko

Atlus sells out of their games all the time in the Americas, but they only produce about 80,000 copies per title.

Weeaboos are not a vast number of people. To put this in perspective, a few Mario, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo, etcetera games sell ~20,000,000 copies easily worldwide, with the vast majority of those sales being NA/EU. Hatsune Miku does not have that kind of recognition.

• Thumbs Up 1

But then again this is the main thread. Not cutting your wave or sometin' but stick the characthers discussions at the characthers discussion thread. And also, avoid off-topic-ing, if that's a word.

Welcome back SOL! Quick question for you and the SUMO:

What are your plans for the All-Star moves this time?

How will they adapt to flying/boating?

And will the All-Star Moves have interactive music?

Er, there, I'm done. Just want to say, me and my sister REALLY enjoyed the first ASR. Thanks to everyone at SUMO for making a brillant game!

Glad you enjoyed the first one, hopefully you'll enjoy the new one more tongue.png

Right now I can't say too much about the All-Star moves other than they're present and correct and we'll be showing them at some point in the not too distant future.

SOL, are there any new spoilers that can be revealed at this time? Even little teaser stuff, like an all star move or the color of a certain racer's hair or the initials of one of the tracks that will be in the game... idk silly crap like that that could possibly cause fans to react with a little giddy smile? smile.png <- like this one?

I dunno - how about we have one track that isn't based on a single IP. That's pretty secret.

Well, Nintendo is the only other major Japanese IP holder (that's relevant) that has an office in Tokyo (and it is in fact the Mario headquarters). So maybe Mario will actually be in the Nintendo versions this time. It was freakin' weird how only Microsoft agreed on letting Sumo use a guest character.

Nintendo aren't based in Tokyo, they're based in Kyoto. They're also not part of SEGA smile.png

Sonic Team.

Compile.

Yu Suzuki.

Virtua Fighter? Shenmue? Phantasy Star Online? Chuchu Rocket? Puyo Puyo?

Come on, I have to be getting closer...

Hatsune Miku???

Maybe, maybe not. Interestingly I went to the Miraikan - which is a museum of emerging sciences (and packed with all manner of cool stuff). They have one exhibit there where they have Hatsune Mike sing to you which is pretty cool. Not quite as cool as Asimo though!

Cool, I'll take a shot. Are we talking companies or directors/creators? Anyhow:

• Rieko Kodama and/or Makoto Uchida
  • Yoot Saito
  • Katsuya Eguchi and/or Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Kataru Uchimura

Uchida-san is based in China, but anyway, it's not much of a secret that we've already demoed assets to him given the fact we've shown the Golden Axe track and have Gilius as a character tongue.png

rbut anyway back on topic, this is turning into a character thread when it shouldn't be.

S0L Joe Neate said you'll be revealing more tracks/characters/surprises as you come up to comic-con and more, can you confirm this? and will we get anything new at Summer of Sonic/Boom?

We're currently planning to show some new things at both - all going to plan that is. Still got to knock some kinks out though for what those things are, so I'm not promising!

---

S0L

---

Edited by S0L
  • Thumbs Up 4

I dunno - how about we have one track that isn't based on a single IP. That's pretty secret.

Something like Sega Carnival from Sonic Riders?

a virtual pop idol that took the world by storm with her image and music

Sorry to bring this back up, but I'd never heard of Hatsune Miku until yesterday, none of my friends have any idea what it is.

Sorry to bring this back up, but I'd never heard of Hatsune Miku until yesterday, none of my friends have any idea what it is.

It's a singing computer program, with an anime chararacter style front to it. I don't like it myself, but I don't hate it. A little too high pitched for my liking.

ANYWAY!

I suppose if I'm posting about this, I might as well make the post at least slightly on-topic and ask a question.

So then, S0L, what kind of presence can we look forward to at Summer of Sonic? A demo? A video? A karaoke performance with you and T-Bird?

are you serious? Miku has done concerts in America that sold out faster than japan did, they got Miku to promote a brand of CAR there

No. I can safely say she's not "huge" here at all. Keep in mind that her concert was exclusive to an anime convention in LA which has a large dedicated otaku population. That doesn't speak anything about her overarching popularity; if you asked random people in the street if they knew who Hatsune Miku was they'd most likely say no. Her audience here is limited to a niche collective of young otaku, whereas in Japan she's as famous as Madonna.

And Toyota was misinformed to use her to sell their car as they knew that America generally didn't know who she was so they attempted to Americanize her in the most ham-handed ways possible (changing her appearance to a comic-style character and making her like bacon-wrapped hotdogs). They received tons of backlash from Japanese fans, American fans and non-fans who didn't know about her and just found her to be "annoying anime shit".

So no, Miku's got a looooooooong way to go before she can be considered huge in the Americas.

Edited by PsychoJosh
  • Thumbs Up 1

Something like Sega Carnival from Sonic Riders?

We can hope, I suppose.

Failing this, I pictured 1. A new character's track (created just for S&ASRT, similar to--for instance--Taboo created just for Smash Bros.) or 2. A NASCAR track vis-a-vis Danica Patrick (one couldn't say Sega owns that IP...).

Uchida-san is based in China, but anyway, it's not much of a secret that we've already demoed assets to him given the fact we've shown the Golden Axe track and have Gilius as a character tongue.png

Ah, I see--I should have taken that into consideration.

Thanks for the tidbits, S0L--you make all this wishing and speculating a lot fun. smile.png

Edited by Wonks

Picked up the new issue of Games Master. Here's their preview of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed:

mwQFE.jpg

If anyone wants to archive the scan, it's Games Master Issue 253 August 2012.

• Thumbs Up 4

They are saying that the fact that you can't transform your vehicle by yourself anytime is a bad thing...well they clearly did that to make the game fair.

Oh sure, I can just transform into Plane Mode and just fly over the entire track, avoiding all obstacles...that sounds like fun and it's totally fair. /sarcasm

What are they supposed to do then? Well...at least they like the game.

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 2

From S0L's Facebook:

Want to play Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed? Head to Games Britannia next weekend! — at Games Britannia

988jn.jpg

http://www.facebook....78189882&type=1

Is the title screen old news? I've not been following, since I'm trying to save myself for the full game. I did a search of E3 videos and saw it partly in this ScrewAttack footage at 0:07.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3lfniIVOEw&feature=related

• Thumbs Up 2