Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

The guest character is obviously S0L, we've been begging for his inclusion since the last game :U

The guest character is obviously S0L, we've been begging for his inclusion since the last game :U

And the part of S0L will be voiced by Steven Blum.

If not, I'd like it to be James May. The land vehicle is the "HammerHead Eagle iThrust 50" The water is the Archimedes amphibius boat, and the flying thing is the Rocket Reliant Robin that they sent into space!

Gets my vote, and anyone who went to SoS this year will know why. =P

I think there should be a rudimentary story to this game's career mode or whatever, with Wizeman as the main villain. He fits that "outsider enemy of all things living" characterization really well, just like Galactus in the MvC games. At first, he, Eggman, and etc. would team up to do some dumb thing involving racing, but then Wizeman would be all "K, but I'm gonna take over the planet now." Then Eggman and etc. villains (besides Reala, obviously) would have to team up with the good guys and everyone would be super yay and win.

Reala could serve as the game's Metal Sonic (in addition to, perhaps early on, Metal Sonic), constantly showing up for races and challenges and the like, and then you'd unlock him after you beat the main mode.

Gets my vote, and anyone who went to SoS this year will know why. =P

I went to SOS... but I don't know why... =(

Why James? Jeremy is the best one.

Because James is more likely to invent an ASRT car than the other two... and we can have the crowd chanting 'Go Go Captain Slow!'

XD... You honestly expect May to race the Fastest Thing Alive? He'd be in last even if you gave him a transforming Veyron Super Sport. And don't tell me about that record cause he only had for an hour.

The story to this game should be "Sega hosts a racing tournament for its characters and invites a few special guests along for the ride."

Segaworld's national sport is auto racing, as proven by their extensive arcade racing pedigree. Just like Capcomland's national sport is street fighting (hence all their crossover fighters). So Sega characters obviously take racing very seriously.

The story to this game should be "Sega hosts a racing tournament for its characters and invites a few special guests along for the ride."

Segaworld's national sport is auto racing, as proven by their extensive arcade racing pedigree. Just like Capcomland's national sport is street fighting (hence all their crossover fighters). So Sega characters obviously take racing very seriously.

This post makes little to no sense.

What's wrong with having a story? Would it take AWAY from the game? Hell no. Would it add a little encouragement to play the single-player mode? Sure.

This post makes little to no sense.

What's wrong with having a story? Would it take AWAY from the game? Hell no. Would it add a little encouragement to play the single-player mode? Sure.

Uh... I never said there was anything wrong with it? YOUR post makes no sense, it's like you're replying to some other post entirely. I wrote a story for the game so I don't see how you construed that as me saying there's something wrong with having a story?

Normally, I like a story mode in collaboration games just to help me piece things together why certain things are happening. While I didn't mind not having one in Smash Bros 64 and Melee, I certainly appreciated the story mode in Brawl.

Regarding the first Sonic Racing title, I was willing to suspend disbelief and just take it for what it was--a homage to Sega's characters. If at any point I needed to rationalize it, I kind of made up that since NiGHTS is present, this is all happening in the dream world. If there's no story mode in Transformed (which I won't mind if there isn't), I'll just do the same.

If all else fails...

Magic.

Oh god no. The story mode in Brawl was absolute garbage in every way. That should be used in game design classes as a lesson on how NOT to do a story mode.

Besides, this is a racing game so an adventure mode would likely be more like Diddy Kong Racing where you have to unlock new areas by completing races. Having an actual "story" to this game is completely unnecessary. The story I proposed does away with any boilerplate "dimensional crossover" narrative, which would be terrible as it would read like a bad fanfic from deviantart.

Uh... I never said there was anything wrong with it? YOUR post makes no sense, it's like you're replying to some other post entirely. I wrote a story for the game so I don't see how you construed that as me saying there's something wrong with having a story?

Sorry. I misunderstood your post.

Really don't think that "hub world" idea would work with the whole "transforming" style that's going on. Considering that SUMO worked on Outrun 2 and how ASR's single players was, I'm expecting a menu based mission mode with some cutscenes and a blink and miss it story.

Steve told me he worked on Wacky Races back on Dreamcast, and there we had a hub world where you could drive around, and it was cool :P

Really don't think that "hub world" idea would work with the whole "transforming" style that's going on.

I can't see it not working. Just have transforming gates dotted around. Hell you could make some navigation puzzles to get around out of it. Like drift off this ramp at the right moment so you can hit the boat transform gate and get through a tunnel that only has river access, etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

But it's been shown that you can miss a transforming gate, making it possible to have a land vehicle stuck in a water section, water in air, etc. There's chances to exploit it in a big area like a hub(flight mode everywhere), and besides, those little stunts your talking about could be better used in tracks and shortcuts, IMO.

I was under the impression that if you missed the transformation gates the game counted it as falling off the track and reset you? That's what happened in all the gameplay I saw. I still say that hubs could be a cool way to incorporate characters and locals that wouldn't feature otherwise. Even though it's pretty clear SUMO are avoiding a Green/Forest Sonic track, I could imagine the opening hub having this as a theme.

• Thumbs Up 2

Um, no. Missing transformation gates alone doesn't cause you to go out of bounds. The developers set the level boundaries wherever they want, they just wrap it around the transformation gates in the tracks so people don't try to fly for the rest of the race. In a hub world you could "miss" transformation gates all you want because there wouldn't be a boundary-crossing geometry around them where if you pass it you're flagged as OB.

But it's been shown that you can miss a transforming gate, making it possible to have a land vehicle stuck in a water section, water in air, etc. There's chances to exploit it in a big area like a hub(flight mode everywhere), and besides, those little stunts your talking about could be better used in tracks and shortcuts, IMO.

Well you could just make Flight gates only appear in indoor areas of the hub where it's impossible to avoid a boat/car transformation gate upon exit. Perhaps once you've cleared the game you finally get access to a flight transformation gate that lets you fly around outside.

But that would only make flight pointless to only use it in indoor areas, and with people transforming by rings, they would have to be herded to the next area through tunnels or something like that. It would be like a pipe shooter, and that's not good for exploration, one of the things a hub needs to have to be done well.

It sounds like a good idea, but IMO I would focus on things like missions or challenges.

It's already been said that there is an adventure mode in the game. We just don't know what form it will take.

Logic denotes that it will feature a hub world similar to CTR and DKR.

I mean, look at the title screen shown in the demos. All the different stages/franchises are represented by islands hovering in the sky. That has to signify something about the adventure mode...

Yeah for the record despite all my hub world suggestions I'd be seriously surprised if we got a hub. In all my imaginary examples I can't stop it from looking like Diddy Kong Racing's one in my head anyway gaw.