Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

Let's play a game (taken from the sonic facebook). Spot 5 differences (btw no i haven't copied the same image twice)

I noticed an added graphic to the hot air balloon that resides off to the right of the tract in the distance.

Why are we looking for differences though? are this pics from 2 different copies of ASR or is one of these supposed to be one of those returning stages that pops up in Transformed?

I noticed an added graphic to the hot air balloon that resides off to the right of the tract in the distance.

Why are we looking for differences though? are this pics from 2 different copies of ASR or is one of these supposed to be one of those returning stages that pops up in Transformed?

This literally just popped up on the sonic facebook this morning (UK time). I think its meant to be a simple game, nothing more.

You know, I feel ashamed for missing out on the first game. It looks fun, but I didn't think it was going to that good. Some people I know say it's awesome, and I feel so bad for missing out. You know what, to make up for my poor choice in the past, I'm going to buy this game when it comes out, and possibly buy the first game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love how you had to hand pick a bunch of games that are more divergent while forgetting the games in between that ARE similar.

The Cheese already did a pretty good job of responding, so I'll just add that you pretty much just agreed that there are Sonic games that are divergent and therefore worthy of multiple-track representation.

S0L wrote this in the Sega forum, today.

"Since I'm being accused of being a <insert d word here> all over the internet, I'll qualify my Vectorman statement a little more. I thought the sticky out tongue smiley would indicate there was more to it than face value...

You won't be playing as Vectorman, in so much as he's not a selectable playable character, either as the driver or part of the vehicle.

There are some reasons for this.

First, we're making a game for a modern day gaming audience. As much as we like to include older characters and references for fans, we have a limited ability to do this as we're making a modern game to appeal to a modern audience. There is a good chance that many players of the game wouldn't have even been born when the final Vectorman game came out. Don't forget the character hasn't been the main star of a game since the Megadrive/Genesis era...

Second, we have rules on the vehicle design for the game. Everything has to be no smaller (or bigger) than a given footprint. Everyone complained the bikes last time had an advantage, they were harder to hit, could squeeze through small gaps other vehicles couldn't - and this has been one rule change we've made to ensure the game is more balanced and fairer. As Vectorman would have more than likely been required to be a motorbike (in keeping with the original game) - he was ruled out on these grounds too.

Third - and we've stressed this more than enough - we have to build a character roster that has variety, that is interesting, and which appeals to fans old and new. Part of that is representing characters from all ages of SEGA, and we still have some Genesis era ones to reveal, part of it is as the type of character is already represented, and part of it is that we weren't genuinely convinced that the character as it stood would be considered desirable by a modern audience (Daddy, what is that robot made of balls?).

That's before we get into the 'Who owns the license' question - but that's one for another day.

Does that mean that Vectorman isn't in the game FULL STOP. Maybe, maybe not. Look at this -> :P

You complain when we don't de-confirm, you complain when we do. You can't have it both ways. You also can't assume these decisions are taken lightly. We know how important characters are to people and we do our best to represent this is many ways. Be they playable characters, hazards, cameos, references in speech, achievements, musical cues and more.

But there are many valid reasons why every single character who has ever appeared in a SEGA game or on a SEGA system can't all be in one game.

And this is an example of why we come in here and talk. We have to manage your expectations sometimes. A lot of the time, what you want from the game isn't always what can be realistically done.

If someone wants to offer us an infinite budget and no time limits whatsoever, we'll happily put a team together to make a game with every single character in it that you want. We'll even include every genre of game ever, and have the entirety of Shenmue 3 in as a mini-game :P You might have to wait in Nukem timescales though.

The reality is, we don't have infinite budget or time. So get used to the idea that everything you want or demand won't happen - and in the meantime accept that we're doing the best we can within the limits we have.

You can now of course continue to accuse me of being a <insert d word here>, but at least you'll have to do it with the proper hard facts to hand smile.png"

http://forums.sega.c...-thread/page108

Edited by Ethan Thomas
  • Thumbs Up 5

Ristar might have a lot more appeal than Vectorman, I still have faith for the little star. Kids would surely be attracted by his design. Vectorman is a bit more "complex" maybe

Ristar might have a lot more appeal than Vectorman, I still have faith for the little star. Kids would surely be attracted by his design. Vectorman is a bit more "complex" maybe

I'm thinking that, too, but his talk about most of audience not being alive when his last game came out also applies for Ristar, so I'm a bit worried now. We'll see, I guess.

They can't fill the game with old characters that the kids won't know. And the old characters they put on will probably be the ones that have kid-friendly designs.

Ristar is far more likely a candidate than Vectorman.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't want to sound negative, but what S0L has said seems to pretty much deconfirm Ristar too. As much as I (and almost everyone else on this board) would love for Ristar to be in the game, the reality is he is just too old and obscure. Now I'm not saying it isn't possible, but judging by how old his game is and his obscurity, it just seems unlikely at this point. Though his more kid-friendly appeal makes him more likely than other old and obscure characters.

Doesn't sound like a deconfirmation of Ristar to me:

Part of that is representing characters from all ages of SEGA, and we still have some Genesis era ones to reveal

Steve told about some more Genesis era reps, and you have to admit that characters like Ristar, even if quite obscure, has a really cool appeal, and could be a lot more iconic than alex kidd himself (desing wise).

I like the way SUMO is talking: combine old and new, with the most appeal possible.

we have characters like Gilius, NiGHTS and Vyse confirmed, with possibly/hopefully people like Alex Kidd, Ristar and Ryo, characters that are not well known but are iconic and actually very appreciated. Ryo himself is not that original in terms of appearance, but his game is one of the most demanded right now, also from non SEGA fans

then we have quite known characters (not including the far better known Sonic ones) like Amigo, Aiai, BD Joe and possibly/hopefully Ulala/Bayonetta/Virua Fighter rep, that might keep some videogamer interested.

in the end they could add something a little more obscure/old or very recent, like someone from Streets of Rage and Ash from Hell Yeah.

It is not simple to define a roster, but I definitely like how they're trying to do this

I don't know, I can't see the "not-knowing X char" as such a huge problem, you see, once a younger audience is presented to a char they don't know, is more likely to them to look after more info about him or just ignore it. I know is not easy to find a Genesis these days, but still, the game should at least have a well-balanced number of chars for hardcore Sega fans and for the 2000 audience (something I think the Sonic crew can already handle). But your game, your rules =p

But consider these chars as DLC, please! smile.png

Edited by Jango

Toejam & Earl have had a game in the past ten years, though.

I know, but if you asked a 8 or 9 year old who Toejam & Earl are, 9 times out of 10 they would say they have no idea who they are.

You know, I have an easy answer for all this fuss. No more de-confims. If you want to know who isn't in the game, then wait till it hits shelves smile.png

Muhahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!

---

S0L

---

As long as Banjo's in I'm sold. If not, I'll stick with the first.

You know, I have an easy answer for all this fuss. No more de-confims. If you want to know who isn't in the game, then wait till it hits shelves smile.png

---

S0L

---

seeing the silly reactions of silly people on the SEGA forums, it is better for you to do so... but at least you could give us just one deconfirmation about a veteran not returning :P next week would be nice to... :P 1new and 1veteran...simple and plain :)

---

S0L

---

Sounds good to me. *goes back to his mind and thinks about SEGA characters that may or may not be in the game.*

You know, I have an easy answer for all this fuss. No more de-confims. If you want to know who isn't in the game, then wait till it hits shelves :)

---

S0L

---

You know, this really is the best way to go about it when it comes to crossover games like these. Ryota Niitsuma from Capcom pretty much said himself during the making of Marvel vs Capcom 3 that deconfirming characters leaves the rest of the roster guessable as as process of elimination, which is why he doesn't like doing it. It's a good example which I think is well to keep in mind, and not just because you manage to avoid drama.

• Thumbs Up 2