Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

No playable Ristar 'eh? No insta-buy for me then kthnx. I'll buy it when the price inevitably goes down.

Uh, now that i think of, a quick question: since the characters will use recicled voices, what did you choose for Gillius, Vyse and Joe Musashi?

Not all voices are sourced from other games. We got new recording for all three, in Vyse's case the original actor reprised the role :P

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 8

I could level the same at your posts

Hahaha. Yeah well, I'm not a game developer. Not yet anyway. I'm brash by nature, but if I was in your situation I am pretty confident in my abilities to turn the brashness down and respond to things in a calmer and more professional manner. Being myself isn't necessarily against the rules, so I'm left to be as mean as I see fit. I assure you I can be a very nice guy tho'.

I try my best to be polite, informative and explain why decisions are made. We do so within the remit of working with NDA's and not revealing anything that's not officially announced (or isn't an issue to deconfirm for many reasons). However, I'm also a human being and so I suffer from the same character flaws as anyone else. I get tired, stressed, annoyed and I'm more than happy to reply in the same tone as which I'm addressed.

Don't get me wrong. I entirely understand what you're getting at and I appreciate you explaining why various decisions are made. The fact of the matter is, just because you understand someone else's reasoning doesn't mean you agree with it. Not every person is going to see eye to eye on every little thing, so your reasoning isn't going to always go without resistance. You talk about being human and making mistakes, but in all honestly, I give you credit for keeping your cool. Just don't expect me to be 100% down with every little thing that you say.

My comment about disliking how things are being said is geared primarily towards your friend SumoRex, who, unfortunately, isn't quite as good at doing what you do. Frankly, a lot of his posts I've seen in response to genuine and valid criticism range from being laughably immature to borderline offensive and everything in between.

Don't like the choices we make? Go make your own game, we're not stopping you!

Completely moot point. Laughable even. Criticism is criticism. It's just something to keep in mind.

Complaining about us caring and posting won't change a thing though, you may as well go and tell the tide to stop coming in

I'm not really complaining as much as I'm just making a comment about you and your associate's involvement on this forum being a double edged sword. It's just my personal opinion on the matter. I don't actually care that much, if at all.

Do what you like. As you said, you can stop any time. I'm just making the point that saying nothing lowers the chances of painting yourself in a negative light.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 6

Fair does. To be fair (and both me and Rex can be absolutely guilty of this) is what you tend to find is with the creative folk, they have a passion which drives them and it's quite difficulty to be spending all day everyday fighting to get in things for you guys and seeing some pretty personal comments here.

Creative passion usually comes with creative temperament. I've worked with Rex for years now and one thing I love about him is he will absolutely speak his mind, if he feels something needs addressing, you're left in no uncertain doubt. That's what helps drive these games to look as good as they do, if you a meek and quiet personality, you opinion may well be just as valid, but when you're driving a huge art team, you need a bit of steel to make sure things get done.

However... the other side is we do love all things SEGA. That's not some PR line, it's the truth. Which is why we do things like this...

See if you can find me pretending to be Ryo...

As I say, we can play nice, but get nasty and there is an iron hand in that velvet glove when it's needed :P

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 9

Fair does. To be fair (and both me and Rex can be absolutely guilty of this) is what you tend to find is with the creative folk, they have a passion which drives them and it's quite difficulty to be spending all day everyday fighting to get in things for you guys and seeing some pretty personal comments here.

Creative passion usually comes with creative temperament. I've worked with Rex for years now and one thing I love about him is he will absolutely speak his mind, if he feels something needs addressing, you're left in no uncertain doubt. That's what helps drive these games to look as good as they do, if you a meek and quiet personality, you opinion may well be just as valid, but when you're driving a huge art team, you need a bit of steel to make sure things get done.

However... the other side is we do love all things SEGA. That's not some PR line, it's the truth. Which is why we do things like this...

As I say, we can play nice, but get nasty and there is an iron hand in that velvet glove when it's needed :P

---

S0L

---

I don't care what others say, I respect the hell out of the fact that you guys care. How shines a good deed in the weary world of gaming; There are so many companies out there (EA, Activision) who don't give a fuck about customers and just want to milk them for every penny while spitting on everything they used to stand for.

I don't care what others say, I respect the hell out of the fact that you guys care. How shines a good deed in the weary world of gaming; There are so many companies out there (EA, Activision) who don't give a fuck about customers and just want to milk them for every penny while spitting on everything they used to stand for.

And this is why we do it. We unofficially have a line here which is we think of both the player and the client we're working for! Hopefully this comes across!

---

S0L

---

It's all good. I understand exactly what you're getting at there. Game design is a passion of mine as well.

On another note, isn't it past midnight over there? You should be getting some rest, Really, go to bed. XP

I give credit where credit is due. I loved the original All-Stars Racing. Even tho' I give Sumo Digital shit all the time, I'm still really looking forward to Transformed because it looks even better.

Wait, Ristar isn't playable....... Okay SOL, I have no idea how challanging making the racers is or how you guys even make the beautifull tracks for the game but why didn't you use some classic gensis characters? I mean you guys were kind enough to include new racers from classic games like Golden Axe and Shenboi but why didn't you use Ristar, Toe Jam and Earl, Eco, and Vectorman? Was it due to difficlutys making cars for them or you couldn't get the IPs to them? Well I'm sure you have a few surprises left for us when the game launches regarding the remainding racers biggrin.png.

Ristar

Design qualms.

Toe Jam and Earl

One character rule.

Ecco

Probably just the difficulty of getting a dolphin to drive a car with ease.

Vectorman

Design qualms again.

Eh, what we got is good anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

Design qualms.

One character rule.

Probably just the difficulty of getting a dolphin to drive a car with ease.

Design qualms again.

Eh, what we got is good anyway.

Your right, at least we got what we got. It would have been nice if they were racers though sad.png.

Well I wanted ristar playable more than anyone and i dont really see a reason for me to bitch knowijg he is the flagman. bt when you think about it, it sorta makes sense. as a flagman you'll only see his face and awesome expressions. But from the back he is basically just a black dot. So guys instead of whining, try to view this more realistically.

Not all voices are sourced from other games. We got new recording for all three, in Vyse's case the original actor reprised the role tongue.png

---

S0L

---

What a great news having new voices for the character! I know that probably don't, but Ulala having new clips by her english VA could be VERY AWESOME XDD

And by the way, for me having Ristar as a flagman has all the sense of the world, he will shine in front of the racers and I'm sure it will be cool :) good work!

Always knew Ristar was the flagman. I still don't know what are the remaining chars, expect one and the thrid guest. All I can is: you must play Transformed!

Always knew Ristar was the flagman. I still don't know what are the remaining chars, expect one and the thrid guest. All I can is: you must play Transformed!

Let me guess, the third guest racer is Megaman biggrin.png. There is that Sonic/Megaman comic crossover... I'm cool with the current roster of racers; Sumo did a really great job having most of the racers from the last game return along side a few great newcomers (like Nights, Shnobi, and Gullius). Maybe Ristar and Eco might be DLC down the line.

I'd be extremely surprised if it was Megaman. I thought that the Megaman license was only approved for crossing over with that comic, not this game.

Hmmm... While I certainly can't complain at some Ristar representation the reasons given for him not being a fully fledged racer aren't really anything that can't be worked around. Like its been said before, the characters aren't static whilst driving and constantly jump around, there's also drifting and barrel rolls which will show the character from all angles.

I'm more than happy that he's in the game regardless but it just seems like there's few non-humans besides the Sonic crew and some monkeys.

To save me typing this twice, I did go into more detail on the SEGA forums...

It's not solely down to the rear view...

For example, Sonic can turn his head to see characters he's overtaking, Ristar would have to turn his whole body.

Sonics spikes move in the wind... Ristar would need to be much more solid and less flexible (it'd be weird to see the tips of his stars flapping about, they're not made of hair!).

That's before you consider how the arms would move around the 'star' to steer a wheel, or what kind of shape chair you'd have to build to sit him on. Or how his feet would reach the pedals.

Some characters can be moved from 2D to 3D, some aren't so straight-forward.

It's easy as a fan to go 'All these can be resolved' and it's very easy to do a drawing which looks like it will work. But it's not so easy to make this work in 3D, with animation, with facial blends, in a vehicle that's cool AND make it appealing to a wide audience.

Which is why... He gets to wave a flag this time smile.png

• Thumbs Up 6

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey SUMO guys))! Now that Sa2 HD re-release came out, I wanted to ask something of you.. Is it possible to make Big the cat a cameo like he was in Sa2 and Secret rings? It's not much, but it's incredibly awesome to look for him in the games and it's very funny also. I heard SEGA didn't plan to include Big in the HD re-release, but someone told him to do so (Was it Ken Balough?). If you didn't make Big the cat a cameo in Transformed I hope you will consider that in your next game if there will be one. Thank you)!

• Thumbs Up 1

Found an interesting tidbit about Ristar:

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?423762-Ristar-Flagman-(confirmed)&p=7596669&viewfull=1#post7596669

I was trying to tell you to not get your hopes up high, because we always knew he wasn't going to be a playable character, however it's all the noise on the forums which made us fight for him to be the Flagman! For a while it looked like we wern't going to be able to use him (in part because we didn't know how to get him to 'fly'... However, as you'll no doubt see in the future, someone at Sonic Team (therefore an approved design) designed a "hover podule" which keeps him aloft.

• Thumbs Up 4

With Ristar and Ecco deconfirmed, Toejam & Earl also pretty much deconfirmed, I barely care about this game anymore.

Yes, I'm still here. I still have hope the next announcement, whenever it is, will get me excited again.

PM me your postal address and when it comes out I'll buy it for you! How's that?

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 4