Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

I was giving a few reasons as to how it wouldn't ruin the game for anyone if they got in as characters. Disappoint yes, but ruin,no.

it just sounded like people would seem pretty angry about them getting in. I guess That was the wrong world to use. :P

Yeah, I would be a bit disappointed if Orbot and Cubot got in stand alone. Not to say that they're bad, I find them amusing enough, but they are the sort of characters that seem more suited to assisting roles. As suggested before, they could be some good helpers for Eggman, or possibly even Metal Sonic (assuming people wouldn't dislike the fact you'd have to get a certain edition to see them).

• Thumbs Up 2

I think they'd be hilarious as Metal's backseat drivers. Since he doesn't talk anymore (thank GOOOOOOOOOD), they could shout insults and stuff at racers as they pass. If Metal loses a race, he grabs Cubot by the "neck" and shakes him about in anger. Plus, they're all practically brothers. It'd be adorable.

When you get an item, Cubot could even be like "Ooh, hit -insert character name here-!!!" and if you get some defensive item, he's like "HURRY UP AND USE IT BEFORE WE GET HIT! HURRY HURRY HURRY!" The contrast between Metal's serious "I'm going to gut Sonic like a fish" attitude and Cubot and Orbot's comedic relief would work really well. I don't think it'd be bad at all, especially since I'll probably be playing as Metal when I'm not NiGHTS or Reala.

• Thumbs Up 7

I honestly cannot think of a character that would work better with the transforming theme than Banjo-Kazooie. Nuts & Bolts was all about transforming your vehicles into land, sea and sky.

And on top of that he debuted in a game that was all about racing vehicles through land sea and sky. He's crashed the party before so he should definitely do it again. I agree with you.

I honestly cannot think of a character that would work better with the transforming theme than Banjo-Kazooie. Nuts & Bolts was all about transforming your vehicles into land, sea and sky.

What? There isn't a Banjo Kazooie game called Nuts and Bolts. Only the first two. Yep.

im pretending like it doesn;'t exist

• Thumbs Up 4

What? There isn't a Banjo Kazooie game called Nuts and Bolts.

Yes there is and it's a great one. If you're judging it by its premise you're missing out.

It was so good I hope they make a Nuts & Bolts 2.

Edited by PsychoJosh
  • Thumbs Up 1

What? There isn't a Banjo Kazooie game called Nuts and Bolts. Only the first two. Yep.

Now, I don't want to go off-topic here, but they're probably thinking of that game Lego Racers: Featuring Banjo, Kazooie, and Friends. It was a decent enough game, it was just really random for them to throw Banjo and Kazooie (and the gang) into a Lego game. Weird as hell. Oh, and they kept making stupid, annoying Stop n' Swop jokes, like THE WHOLE GAME. It was like they thought it was funny or something.

Anyway, back on topic, Metal Sonic will clearly be the best. I wonder how everyone's going to play. Are NiGHTS and Reala going to be balanced characters again? If so, I think Reala should have a higher top-speed, lower accel, and slightly worse turning, whereas NiGHTS will be the opposite side of the coin and play like Mario usually does in his Kart games, easy to control with decent speed.

Metal Sonic, of course, will have all stats maxed.

Edited by HyperMetalWario

Metal Sonic, of course, will have all stats maxed.

he'll have stats like Sonic if anything, fully maxed stats would be unfair.

• Thumbs Up 2

he'll have stats like Sonic if anything, fully maxed stats would be unfair.

...yes....yes they would.

BUT, all's far in love and war, right? And Metal Sonic does not love, nor does he participate in wars (only small-scale battles), so thusly, Metal Sonic is unfair.

/thread

Speaking of Racers, will Metal Sonic be locked off for online? If you remember, I think Ryo (Forklift) was allowed online because he was included in the game's data. Metal Sonic/Out Run track could be available online for the same reason.

I have second doubt about the track though, since racers can easily be limited but I don't think Sumo would want people playing on a track they don't have.

...yes....yes they would.

BUT, all's far in love and war, right? And Metal Sonic does not love, nor does he participate in wars (only small-scale battles), so thusly, Metal Sonic is unfair.

/thread

I did feel that ASR lacked an uber-racer. (A super sonic if you will)

I'd love to see one of those in this go-round *cough*segatasanshiro*cough*. Ban him from online play and voila! You have a way to help some of the noobs and casuals get a leg up on some of the tougher staff ghosts. ^^

I always felt that "uber" characters were fun for 3 minutes.

I can be uber with my own skills. wink.png

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 2

I did feel that ASR lacked an uber-racer. (A super sonic if you will)

This is because "uber" characters would be, what's the word... oh yes, absolutely fucking retarded.

It would eliminate the entire point of having a multiplayer racer with different characters that have different stats if you can just unlock an uber character and be better than everything. It's the same reason Mario Kart 7 didn't have "super" vehicle parts, because it would defeat the entire purpose of customizing karts once you unlocked them. Uber characters only work as final unlocks in non-competitive games that are almost entirely single-player focused. They won't put uber characters in a game that they want to have actual longevity.

If you need an uber character to take on the staff ghosts then you have no skill and shouldn't be playing the staff ghosts. The entire point of staff ghosts is to challenge players.

So if Sanshiro was a truly uber character he would be broken in every way and make online races and time trials unfun for everybody. Well that's fine, I hear you say, you can just use him offline.

In that case, WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT OF HAVING HIM?!! The entire point of having an extremely fanservicey character like him in the game is so that PEOPLE CAN USE HIM. If he's barred from being used online or in time trials because he's too good then the only way you'd be able to use him is in offline grand prix mode which would be terrible for everybody who considers themselves a fan of his. There would be tears from fanboys who wish they could use their favorite character online but can't because, even though he's in the game, he is too broken to be fair for the other players. No. Wrong. Uber characters need to stay out, bottom line.

• Thumbs Up 2

A banned online uber character would affect the balance or longevity of the game in any way. It just a fun little bonus for the people who earn it. Its no different from 99% of sports games out there that let you make custom teams with players having 99 in every stat. Nobody with any skill would take one of those custom teams seriously in a competitive sense, but sometimes its just fun to watch your freak of nature athlete do a windmill-360 from the 3 point line. Its just there if you want it.

Furthermore it provides an excellent local play challenge opportunity. I play ASR all the time with my younger cousins. Thanks to the skill gap, I basically have to drive backwards to make it even remotely challenging. Spotting them an uber would make for something that much more fun. I'd welcome a crush character on those grounds alone.

In that case, WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT OF HAVING HIM?!!

The best moments in competitive play are when you take on the god tier and win. I shouldn't need to tell you guys that. Back when Melee was everywhere, those victories against Fox meant something. (christ he was nasty)

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Yeah, but it opened a door of conversation. I think ASR was missing that obscene handicap that makes local multiplayer so much fun. Serious bragging rights to be had by spotting someone of equal talent the best character in the game and still eeking out a win.

PsychoJosh, don't you think you're being a little harsh on another user's opinion of wanting a "God" character?

Why not have an 'Uber' character? I mean, it's not hurting you is it? Is he coming out of the game and telling you to "PICK ME! PICK ME PLZ"?

No? Then why should it bother you so much?

Personally I agree with DogTagz, not everyone is going to have to play Online to find other people to play with, (I have plenty of younger family that like racing games, so...) having an 'uber' character would give them at least a little leeway so the races won't feel boring and lopsided, and it provides people experienced with the game another good challenge.

The worst part is finding a character to be that one, considering they'd be out of Online mode. Meh...

Edited by Xenos

having an 'uber' character would give them at least a little leeway so the races won't feel boring and lopsided,

... boring races... where cars turn into boats and planes, with years of SEGA history beneath your wheels/hull/cockpit... in fast, frantic racing action....with ear sexing remixes of classic memorable SEGA tunes...

LOLNOPE.

Edited by Super Soniko
  • Thumbs Up 5

Can we stop with the "Is it hurting you?" argument? It's stupid.

I don't want a god character either. I don't really see the fun in it like Dog Tagz does. As a boss it would be fine, but not as an actually playable character.

I mean, sure I liked choosing Amy in SA2 to troll my friends, but outside of that it just get's annoying, I think.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

i too don't like the idea of a god tier character, but then again thinking back to Crash Team Racing, the boss racers where like god tier compared to you, overwhelming attack barrages, faster karts, taking the short cuts etc. but they where still beatable... to be honest a god tier racer doesn't mean they'll be unbeatable, just like Ryo was pretty slow in terms of speed to Shadow and other racers in ASR but i still won every online racer with him. It's not about the racer, it's about how good the player is!