Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

lol

Having a "massive online userbase" is not the sole criteria that determines whether or not a game is competitive. Using that same logic makes a game like FarmVille competitive. I'm not going to launch into a tirade on why EA's yearly sports games are a joke and in no way at all competitive but it basically boils down to the fact that the userbase for these games are comprised almost completely of casuals who buy the product simply because of the Madden/Fifa/NHL brands. These games are meant for college jocks who talk about how good X player was during Y season while drinking beer; the accessibility of its gameplay reflects such. These people do not play the game seriously and instead through the course of gameplay decide their own games to do, such as seeing who can win the most in-game fights in NHL or who gets the first hit that brings out an ambulance in Madden. They do not care about winning.

Even my uncles who are big-time NHL fanatics that play these games every year don't care about playing the game legitimately, whenever they play they just go "try to start a fight, I want to fight". These games do not have the potential for mind games or trickery, and are designed for the lowest common denominator, as such they are not competitive

The massive userbase is one of the things that helps foster a competitive online scene. The more players that actively participate, the better the cream of the crop will be due to the larger pool of gamers involved.

And you’re Uncle and whoever else plays the game for fun or fights can’t take that away. The people who take the game seriously, and play through the 40 seasons of franchise mode online against the best make the games have the potential to be as competitive as any other. Bragging rights on campus are as competitive as video games get. If you think college jocks don’t care about winning, you haven’t been to college. The only incentive in games like madden is to win so you can talk trash. There is nothing else. No second place. They have marketing schemes surrounding it for goodness sake.

Most people I know that play Madden/FIFA/NBA2K play like this.

Are you honestly telling me that is not competitive play? Cause that’s what playing sports games in my neck of the woods entails. Those are the highest stakes known to gaming. The chance to look your brother/friend/rival in his face and drop the biggest deuce you possibly can on their ego.

Sports games are at the forefront of competitive play, right alongside fighters and your fooling yourself if you think otherwise. There are casuals everywhere, but they have no effect on a games ability to be taken on the competitive level.

Ha, Jocks don’t care about winning. That is a clown statement bro.

games. You're making the argument that any game with versus multiplayer can be considered competitive and that's just not true.

No, I’m making the argument that a multiplayer game with a dedicated hardcore user base can be considered competitive.

That’s pretty much the definition of the term.

If you're the type of person who'll punch somebody over their actions in a video game, you need psychiatric help. This is not in any way, shape or form a solution to the problem and actually serves to compound your ignorance. Let's say you punch somebody because they're using an uber character, you either weakly punch them, which won't dissuade anybody, or wind up and strongly hit them which will make them angry and pause the game to beat the shit out of you. Yeah, it's clear you put a lot of thought into this "solution" of yours. Either way the problem still exists in the game and you have your own domestic issues to sort out on top of that. Well done.

Do you not have a brother or a cousin your age? That’s how life works kid.

If you haven’t punched your bro, your not having fun.

Also, just because a single player put in the time to unlock an uber character doesn't mean such a character won't be abused to hell by other players.

If someone wants to abuse it offline, it won’t affect you. What do you even care.

You're basically arguing for Shadow to be in the game just like he was in the last one .Shadow was an uber character in the last game and everyone hated him. No one had fun racing against him. The only difference is that his uberness wasn't planned for whereas now you're talking about deliberately putting such a character in the game and putting arbitrary restrictions on the modes this character can be used in. If you can't see how such a thing would be pointless and stupid, I feel sorry for you.

I’m asking for something that would probably end up being even worse that Shadow, but that’s not the point.

SUMO made no effort to balance Shadow because they didn’t know he was uber. He was hated because he could get out ahead of multiplayer matches, and there was no real way to stop him once he got a decent lead. Everyone else would wail on each other and continue to fall further behind.

An uber character would duck that hatred for a.) not being available online anyway and b.) SUMO has prepared for uber character better for this go around by adding in a few weapons that can at least reach the guy in first.

“Planned” uberness is better than “oops shadows broken” uberness. Your just treating them the same to try and make a point.

What about online casual players? Oh wow, argument destroyed in a single swoop.

Not really.

Online casuals will face the same fate as any causal who takes any videogame online.

They can play and have fun, but if they run into a hardcore guy, they gonna get raped. Simple as that.

What's good enough for offline casual players should be good enough for online ones. You either put the character in all of the modes or you put him in none of them. You don't put him in all but two, you don't throw darts at a board with modes taped to it and say "oh he's not gonna be in that mode" on whatever the dart lands on.

That’s like saying Sumo shouldn’t bother to cater each of the modes to their strengths.

If any character breaks any mode, banning them should be an option on the table.

That's a bullshit excuse. You're arbitrarily screwing his fans over just for your personal lame desire for an uber character, and als you're lumping them together unfairly, not accounting for individual opinions and instead saying that they're all going to have the exact same opinion as yours. Are you really going to tell me that when you see a Sanshiro fan miserable about the fact that he can't use his favorite character online, you're going to say to him "oh well, the game's still better with an uber character"?

Leaving fans forlorn and disappointed just so your cousins can occasionally beat you in a race is something you may be okay with but don't assume that everyone else will be.

Hardly. You can’t speak about disappointing Segata fans. Your 1 guy. You can’t speak for a fanbase.

I on the other hand am free to state that Segata’s OP-ness is a running gag known by plenty of longtime Sega fans. Representing his obscene power level by making him an uber is an in-game joke that would both be appropriate to Sega’s heritage and be a nod to all the fans who wanted them there in the first place.

Those are facts.

If your talking about being true to the character, Segata being OP is more in tune with what he represents than any run-of-the mill base stats racer. Its an in-joke that spans back to the Saturn era. If you’re interested in that dude not being OP, your not really interested in seeing the real Sagata at all.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 3

Wait... I remember reading about Gareth Wilson being a part of SUMO now after Bizarre faded. He Worked on Blur, something really similar to this game. It had mods too; They were things like "Homing weapons are easier to dodge", "more projectiles to fire" "other cars can't ram you", stuff like that. Same bet to say the mods in Transformed will be alike.

Anyway, I'm against Uber stuff in general. People either tend to hate em because they're OP, They spit in the face of game balance, and honestly, you're better off tweaking the mechanics if less skilled players really need that handicap. About the part that Segata can only fit in as OP... That may be the reason SUMO won't put him in. sad.png

This interesting post is being ignored. I think this being the mod system is very plausible.

S0L, please put these argumentals out of their misery and de-confirm god characters please. We don't need that nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 1

The massive userbase is one of the things that helps foster a competitive online scene. The more players that actively participate, the better the cream of the crop will be due to the larger pool of gamers involved.

And you’re Uncle and whoever else plays the game for fun or fights can’t take that away. The people who take the game seriously, and play through the 40 seasons of franchise mode online against the best make the games have the potential to be as competitive as any other. Bragging rights on campus are as competitive as video games get. If you think college jocks don’t care about winning, you haven’t been to college. The only incentive in games like madden is to win so you can talk trash. There is nothing else. No second place. They have marketing schemes surrounding it for goodness sake.

Most people I know that play Madden/FIFA/NBA2K play like this.

Are you honestly telling me that is not competitive play? Cause that’s what playing sports games in my neck of the woods entails. Those are the highest stakes known to gaming. The chance to look your brother/friend/rival in his face and drop the biggest deuce you possibly can on their ego.

Sports games are at the forefront of competitive play, right alongside fighters and your fooling yourself if you think otherwise. There are casuals everywhere, but they have no effect on a games ability to be taken on the competitive level.

Yeah, you've clearly never heard of eSports if you consider playing Madden with your drunk friends to be "the peak of competition". Sports games are nowhere near the forefront of competitive play, they're actually far at the back end. There are no Madden leagues or tournaments and the game by its nature does not allow for mindgames. Starcraft is a game that regularly has leagues and tournaments with over $500,000 in prizes. Street Fighter and UMVC3 regularly get played at tournaments with thousands of dollars in prizes as well. You on the other hand are playing your family and saying that owing them a coke upon losing puts you on the same level as those thousand dollar tournaments (it doesn't). That is a complete joke, and whether or not you fall for EA's bullshit marketing scheme like a gullible consumer is irrelevant. Jocks do not care about dedicating themselves to learn a game's mechanics and how to exploit it, because learning the game in intricate detail would be something for "nerds". Thus they do not care about winning. That is a fact.

Do you not have a brother or a cousin your age? That’s how life works kid.

If you haven’t punched your bro, your not having fun.

That explains why you have such bad ideas. Too many shots to the head.

I’m asking for something that would probably end up being even worse that Shadow, but that’s not the point.

SUMO made no effort to balance Shadow because they didn’t know he was uber. He was hated because he could get out ahead of multiplayer matches, and there was no real way to stop him once he got a decent lead. Everyone else would wail on each other and continue to fall further behind.

An uber character would duck that hatred for a.) not being available online anyway and b.) SUMO has prepared for uber character better for this go around by adding in a few weapons that can at least reach the guy in first.

“Planned” uberness is better than “oops shadows broken” uberness. Your just treating them the same to try and make a point.

They are the same thing. One is just more obnoxious than the other, and neither of them are good things since fans will be screwed over by both. Dark Phoenix in UMVC3 is an example of a "planned" uber character and it's just as bad as having Akuma in Super Turbo as an "unplanned" uber character. Having a weapon that reaches the guy in first is irrelevant if he's so far away that it doesn't matter, which is exactly what will happen with a character that's "more uber" than ASR Shadow. You really didn't think any of this through and you regularly make statements that contradict your own arguments.

It would be bad business for them to not have every character playable online, and it would also be bad to have an uber character playable online, so long story short thank goodness you're not involved in the production of this game in any way or they'd go bankrupt because of your utterly terrible ideas.

Not really.

Online casuals will face the same fate as any causal who takes any videogame online.

They can play and have fun, but if they run into a hardcore guy, they gonna get raped. Simple as that.

A "hardcore guy" would always use the best character available. A casual newcomer would also always use the best character available. A middle-of-the-road person would use whoever they wanted and lose to both of those other players because they're playing someone completely imbalanced. That's a terrible state of affairs and something they should only do if they want people playing this game online for like five minutes before throwing it away.

Hardly. You can’t speak about disappointing Segata fans. Your 1 guy. You can’t speak for a fanbase.

Neither can you. The door swings both ways. You can't tell me that they're all going to agree with you, and I never insinuated that they'd be agreeing with me, you on the other hand treat them like they'll have the exact same opinion as you.

I on the other hand am free to state that Segata’s OP-ness is a running gag known by plenty of longtime Sega fans. Representing his obscene power level by making him an uber is an in-game joke that would both be appropriate to Sega’s heritage and be a nod to all the fans who wanted them there in the first place.

Those are facts.

If your talking about being true to the character, Segata being OP is more in tune with what he represents than any run-of-the mill base stats racer. Its an in-joke that spans back to the Saturn era. If you’re interested in that dude not being OP, your not really interested in seeing the real Sagata at all.

Funny, I never saw any crap about "obscene power levels" in his commercials at all, all I ever saw was a kung-fu expert that beat up helpless people who didn't play Sega Saturn. I wish I could've seen the same lame Chuck Norris-meme derivative Sanshiro commercials that you saw. Oh wait, you didn't see them either because they don't exist.

I personally don't care about Segata at all. That doesn't mean I'm unsympathetic to the plight of his fans who want to play as him online. You on the other hand as a supposed Segata fangirl seem to want to restrict the amount of gameplay he'd have, which is stupid and makes it pointless for him to be in the game at all.

Edited by PsychoJosh

Josh could you please stop acting like a smart ass. It's not funny or clever. Just rude. and it makes aurguments less interesting. Sorry if it seems like backseat modding, it just got on my nerves. Edited by Hedgehogs Boost
  • Thumbs Up 9

EDIT

OH DANG I GOT MEGA-ESPIO'D

You guys can Ignore this wall of text guys

uhh, I'll delete this post if one of the mods wants me too...

Yeah, you've clearly never heard of eSports if you consider playing Madden with your drunk friends to be "the peak of competition". Sports games are nowhere near the forefront of competitive play, they're actually far at the back end. There are no Madden leagues or tournaments and the game by its nature does not allow for mindgames. Starcraft is a game that regularly has leagues and tournaments with over $500,000 in prizes. Street Fighter and UMVC3 regularly get played at tournaments with thousands of dollars in prizes as well. You on the other hand are playing your family and saying that owing them a coke upon losing puts you on the same level as those thousand dollar tournaments (it doesn't). That is a complete joke, and whether or not you fall for EA's bullshit marketing scheme like a gullible consumer is irrelevant. Jocks do not care about dedicating themselves to learn a game's mechanics and how to exploit it, because learning the game in intricate detail would be something for "nerds". Thus they do not care about winning. That is a fact.

I’m not sure you know what you’re talking about bro. Madden and “games of its nature” have tons of tournaments, some for low prizes and some for big time payouts.

Lets spend 5 seconds in Google and see what we find!

Look! A FIFA Tournament from earlier this year! A top prize of 20,000 USD plus a VIP trip!

http://www.fifa.com/...4624/index.html

Here’s a website offering weekly Madden Tourneys. Cash Prizes and Everything

http://www.madden-tournaments.com/

Doesn’t GameStop do Madden Tournaments every year? Of Course they do! 5 Grand to the overall winner.

http://zoknowsgaming...en10tournament/

And while its not a tournament, lets not forget MLB 2K’s million dollar challenge. Pretty much for veteran gamers only. Yes, that’s 1,000,000 USD

http://www.cnbc.com/...1_Million_Prize

So, what? Are you just gonna ignore all the hardcore sports gamers who play these games?

There are a literal ton of thousand dollar tournaments out there, so let’s take a moment and see if you will swallow your pride a bit, admit when you’re wrong and revise your previous statement.

Now that is out of the way, let’s turn our focus to the meta-game. All sports games have play-calling features and that in itself is a mental exercise. Predicting blitz, finding the perfect time to call a pick, or running a give and go are all qualities of a meta-game. You don’t give sports game enough credit. When you pick a spot to throw deep, or lay down a well placed spin move, your competing in a game of wits. Whether you want to admit it or not

You want to call jocks who play the game as people who don’t “care about winning”. But at the end of the day, when the next play will hinge on whether or not your roommate will be dancing on the table in front of you, or you will be the one doing backflips – the game will become competitive. Sorry buddy, I don’t think you’re going to win that argument. Nuff said.

If your gonna claim facts, you might want to bring some to the table first.

Cry More dude.

If you got no defense, concede the point and move on.

They are the same thing. One is just more obnoxious than the other, and neither of them are good things since fans will be screwed over by both. Dark Phoenix in UMVC3 is an example of a "planned" uber character and it's just as bad as having Akuma in Super Turbo as an "unplanned" uber character. Having a weapon that reaches the guy in first is irrelevant if he's so far away that it doesn't matter, which is exactly what will happen with a character that's "more uber" than ASR Shadow. You really didn't think any of this through and you regularly make statements that contradict your own arguments.

What contradicts what now? I’m not sure you know what that word means.

It would be bad business for them to not have every character playable online, and it would also be bad to have an uber character playable online, so long story short thank goodness you're not involved in the production of this game in any way or they'd go bankrupt because of your utterly terrible ideas.

Ya, more baseless opinion.

At this point your just dragging your feet and taking shots at me rather than contesting anything I’ve said.

Sounds like your out of gas.

A "hardcore guy" would always use the best character available. A casual newcomer would also always use the best character available. A middle-of-the-road person would use whoever they wanted and lose to both of those other players because they're playing someone completely imbalanced. That's a terrible state of affairs and something they should only do if they want people playing this game online for like five minutes before throwing it away.

Now I know you don’t know what your talking about. There may not be a hardcore player on the face of the planet that would main an uber character simply for the fact that he is the best player in the game.

Any hardcore gamer worth his or her weight selects their character by finding the ones that best suit their play style. It may happen to be the uber or it may be someone else, but anyone who seriously plays these games will tell you the same thing.

A hardcore ALWAYS picking the uber is sheer and utter bunk. There are plenty hardcore players that main characters other than Akuma and Dark Pheonix, so you’re point shot in the foot right there.

Neither can you. The door swings both ways. You can't tell me that they're all going to agree with you, and I never insinuated that they'd be agreeing with me, you on the other hand treat them like they'll have the exact same opinion as you.

Except I’m not labeling my opinions as fact as you are.

I said plenty of longtime Sega fans know of the S. San running gag.

That is a fact and if you want to contest it you’ll come up short every time.

Your spewing junk like “jocks don’t care about winning” as fact.

Sorry bro, your opinion isn’t fact.

Funny, I never saw any crap about "obscene power levels" in his commercials at all, all I ever saw was a kung-fu expert that beat up helpless people who didn't play Sega Saturn. I wish I could've seen the same lame Chuck Norris-meme derivative Sanshiro commercials that you saw. Oh wait, you didn't see them either because they don't exist.

I personally don't care about Segata at all. That doesn't mean I'm unsympathetic to the plight of his fans who want to play as him online. You on the other hand as a supposed Segata fangirl seem to want to restrict the amount of gameplay he'd have, which is stupid and makes it pointless for him to be in the game at all.

You didn’t see the explosions following his Judo throws? Yeah he’s OP.

You know what, don’t take my word from it. Let’s look at a third party S. San fan.

About the part that Segata can only fit in as OP... That may be the reason SUMO won't put him in. sad.png

Sorry to drag you into this F.C., but this is a pretty clear indication that you, a S. San fan, believes that S. San is appropriate as an uber (and that it might be his undoing).

We done here PsycoJosh? Cause I don’t think you’ve got any real challenges for me.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 2

This interesting post is being ignored. I think this being the mod system is very plausible.

Edited by HyperMetalWario
  • Thumbs Up 3

^ Pretty cool, and Sumo always seems to be looking for ways to cram in Sega references.

Wisdom Ideya - Increases SEGA Miles earned by 1.5x.

SEGA Miles are gone.

Remember the bonus edition mentioned this:

Emoticon Sticker Pack - these collectables are found throughout the game and are given as rewards for skilful play, high scores and more.

Assuming these are stickers like those found in M&S2012, we could see characters like Vectorman and Bug show up here. It's not much, but it is a cool reference and I'd love to see any obscure (or popular) SEGA icon appear as a reward for playing.

They should just insert every character that couldn't "make it" as a sticker. Ristar, Vectorman, V Chronicles characters, Rhythm Thief, etc

They should just insert every character that couldn't "make it" as a sticker. Ristar, Vectorman, V Chronicles characters, Rhythm Thief, etc

Don't be so pessimistic :/

Edited by MarcelloF

I would really like at least ONE new IP represented on the roster. Something from '11/'12. Like the amazing Cain from Binary Domain or Rhythm Thief. In fact, I'd be cool if Cain was an HD exclusive and Rhythm Thief was a mobile exclusive racer.

Caine_528_poster.jpg

Like the amazing Cain from Binary Domain

Could Cain possibly get the nod ahead of Dan the man?

I would really like at least ONE new IP represented on the roster. Something from '11/'12. Like the amazing Cain from Binary Domain or Rhythm Thief. In fact, I'd be cool if Cain was an HD exclusive and Rhythm Thief was a mobile exclusive racer.

Nope. Would hate for any SEGA characters to remain console exclusive beyond what the original game was like with multiple racers in single vehicles.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hm, I guess you're right. I think Sumo said the game is made to be scaled from iOS up to HD, so I think my reasoning was based on the first game in which the iOS/DS and HD versions were totally different. But since with Transformed they can make an HD character and make it appear on a mobile platform without being a totally separate job (assuming I'm remembering interviews correctly) then SEGA exclusives shouldn't be unless it's a space issue, like the mobile version having a little less than HD.

Anyway, in the case of Cain and Rhythm Thief, I think SEGA would be fools if they didn't give some games currently on the market some recognition. Cain especially. He's full of character and is hilarious and awesome in Binary Domain, yet the marketing doesn't show that. But imagine some dude playing ASRT and they play as Cain, find his personality/design cool and they buy Binary Domain. I'd prefer somebody like Cain to Ristar. Even though... I also want Ristar in. OH TO BE A SEGA FAN!!!

I haven't played BD, so I can't say anything about Cain, but as far as modern characters go, I'd like Bayonetta and Raphael to be in.

• Thumbs Up 3

Tch, don't complain too much: as far as this thread goes i haven't seen any request for the Resonance of Fate trio, wich is a team i will like to see gladly.

Edited by Teoskaven

I would really like at least ONE new IP represented on the roster. Something from '11/'12. Like the amazing Cain from Binary Domain or Rhythm Thief.

I would really like the game to be less focused on Sonic characters and have a greater/less limited variety of IPs.