Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

You know, one thing that constantly surprises me is the vociferous love for so many of the older SEGA games.

I'm actually genuinely curious to know how old some of you are... I'll start smile.png

Hello S0L! I'm 27 years old, and my first videogame console was a pretty and shiny Master System II, so I grew up with Sonic, Alex Kidd... and years later, I moved to Mega Drive where I met Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Golden Axe...

Then moved to Dreamcast... and the dream was over XD

I was always a "Sega fan", and I think that we the "grown ups" we can enjoy more the classic characters, but theres indeed a new generation of gamers who met that classic characters and they love it : )

PD.- A big hello from the "spanish guy who begged for Ulala even on the Summer of Sonic" XDDDDDDDD ; ) Keep up the good work!

Looks to me like S0L is trying to get some people in his office to reconsider some character exclusions by use of testimonials.

Namely V-Man and Blaze.

You know, one thing that constantly surprises me is the vociferous love for so many of the older SEGA games.

I'm actually genuinely curious to know how old some of you are... I'll start smile.png

---

S0L

---

19. Had a Genesis but skipped Saturn and Dreamcast. Aside from Ristar and the Bonanza Bros, I didn't even know most of the obscure ones, having mostly ignored the rerelease compilations. Heck I was introduced to NiGHTS through that pinball table in Adventure DX, though I'm a big fan of him/her nowadays. I got most of my SEGA history through Riders.

...To this day I still wonder why they never put in Beat. Those games were perfect for him.

Edited by FourCartridge

you already know about me, I'm 20, but still grown up with Megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast.

Shenmue, Sonic and NiGHTS are my favourite franchises, and I have a big interests for games like Ecco the Dolphin (Dreamcast), Street Fighter (and VS series), Darkstalkers, The Sims , Zelda, Phantasy Star and Guardian Heroes.

I'm not really into modern games, I just keep playing the things I'm attached to, and spend very few times with videogaming in general.

Some recent games I have largely appreciated are Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Walking Dead (the Videogame) and Bayonetta.

Games series I'm looking forward to try and actually never played are Silent Hill and Jet Set Radio

Edited by BlueHedgehog92

I'm 37. Which means I pretty much grew up playing a lot of the classic SEGA games when they first came out. I've owned pretty much every SEGA console with the exception of the Megadrive, and then, that's as my friends had them in droves so I didn't really need to buy one! It helped I worked in a videogame shop through what I'll dub as the 'Classic Era' that's anything between Master System days right up to SEGA Saturn.

We see a lot of demands for characters like Ristar, Vectorman and more - and I'm interested if you played them first time round, or if you discovered them later. If it was later, how did you find out about them? Was it through compilations like the Megadrive Collections, did you come across them via a service like Virtual Console. Or did you discover them via emulation? When did that love affair start?

Seriously - this is often a topic of debate in the office. I think our natural assumptions in a lot of cases is that generally the forum crowds tend to veer a little younger than us, but you know, I'm not sure we always right! Well unless it's Rex we're talking about, he is almost old enough to be my Dad. Almost smile.png

---

S0L

---

I'm 22 years old and when I was around 3/4, my brother begged for a master system and managed to persuade my parents . Ever since alex kidd in the miracle world and various other master system games, we were sold immadiatly.

Allthough we were pretty diehard SEGA fans, we couldnt afford all the peripherals for the genesis or even the saturn. However as we all got older and started to get a job, we've been able to get a decent collection around the house. Clockwork knight is awesome, but I personally prefer astal more tongue.png

I love Ristar, but it wasn't untill shenmue I discovered him, and actually most of the franchises from the capsule toys. I didn't know virtua on, I didn't know even NiGHTS. Shenmue was more than just a good game in that regard.

From my point of view, it shouldn't just be popular characters getting attention, but also the obsecure ones that may have been major if they got more attention back in the days. I would categorize Ristar as one of those. That game is Truly a gem with excellent challenging gameplay. What I also really like about Ristar is the similar attitude he has to the original sonic.

I mean just look:

sonic1titlescreen.gifristar.jpg

You could say that Ristar would be an excellent alternative to classic sonic in the game.

Edited by Djawed

I'll be 21 in two months. While I didn't start with SEGA, I still started playing SEGA games soon after playing Mario Bros on my dad's NES with my mom when I was about 3, thanks to my older brother (26 on Sunday). I liked watching him play, so I wanted to play the games myself.

The biggest games of that age for me were Sonic, Ristar, Ecco, Toejam & Earl and Headdy. Sonic is, well, Sonic. I loved him. Ristar is the same, I loved the music in the game, the way Ristar looked, the way the planets looked, the way the enemies looked. It was just awesome for me. Headdy, I was bad at, but I liked how he attacked with his head and the music was cool. As for Ecco, I liked dolphins and it was fun watching my brother play. It was a different type of game than anything else to me..

I didn't care much for series like Vectorman, though.

We didn'T have a Saturn,as we got a 64 instead, but I got to play games like Clockwork Knight and NiGHTS at my uncle's a few times. All in all, while that era was some cool games, it's not all to important to me.

Dreamcast, though. Me and my brother saved our money together to buy that, so it has a special place in my heart as being the first console I bought. I'm not sure it was at launch, but it was definitely near it. Though, we didn't have enough money for a game, we were stuck with the demo disc. I remember being amazed by the fact that you could see the tires of you car turn green if you drove through grass in a Formula 1 game.

My uncle also bought the console at launch. He wanted to get Trickstyle, but I convinced him to buy Sonic Adventure. I loved the game; I still do. Since my mom and dad worked, I was at my uncle's during the day and got to play that a lot, but we still bought when we had the money. My dad bought NFL 2K and was amazed by the graphics ( "It's so realistic, you can see their breaths!", to which me and my brother made fun of him, since it sounded like he said "It's so realistic, you can see their breasts!")

I loved my Dreamcast and I'm still sad about it's demise. I remember being jealous of how much better it was when I bought Hey!You! Pikachu and my brother got Seaman. That game was great.

Edited by MarcelloF

20, turn 21 in November. Compared to other people here, I haven't had nearly as much Sega exposure, my experiences have mostly been about Sonic the Hedgehog himself, hence why I'm really only interested in his franchise in regards to these crossovers.

Not that I've been completely isolated from the other stuff, mind; even growing up, I'd borrowed a six-game cartridge for a period of time, and remember playing Columns, Streets of Rage 1 and Golden Axe on it. And years later, when I was a teen but not yet on any forums, I took quite a shing to the likes of Super Monkey Ball and Puyo Puyo. I'd always wanted to try Ecco when I saw a demo for his Dreamcast game in Toys 'R' Us, and I've wanted to play Chu Chu Rocket since I saw an ad for it in some Pokemon magazine that came out around that time, but alas I still haven't played them.

Any other franchise, however, have only become known to me through things like Sonic Mega Collection+, and I can't say I have any interest in those.

Demographics eh? sure why not.

I'm 23 and my gaming heritage started with the NES and a few computer games. I was lucky enough to have parents and family that were able to support my gaming habits, so through a combination of hand-me-downs and purchases I was exposed to a lot of different franchises at a really young age. As I got a tad older, I began to appreciate the games more - and when I got my hands on Sonic the Hedgehog and a Genesis, I was absolutely hooked. Everything I loved about games I could find on the Genesis. The bright colors, fast gameplay, innovative IPs and my favorite blue hero were all there. That was something that stuck with me as I grew up. Even as I started to make the jump to more hardcore titles, I never lost my love for the quirky and flat out genius that went into the games developed by the house of Sonic.

Even today, I have a wide range of tastes, but I hold Sega in a special place. Nothing will replace the franchises that dominated my childhood.

I'm 22, gonna be 23 in Febuary next year. I'm a 90's guy, in other words, so I grew up with Sonic, Mario and other games like Megaman, Zelda, Bomberman, etc. I've been really lucky to have always had a variety of games in my palette, and fortunate to have pretty much all the new systems growing up. Even the Virtual Boy and Game Gear, even the Dreamcast and Saturn. Hell, even the 3DO.

Anyways, I'll keep it to the Sonic/Sega stuff. My first Sonic game was Sonic 1, since my brother had a Genesis and iirc Sonic was bundled with the system when we got it. So things pretty much went on from there- me and my brothers liked Sonic 1, so we got Sonic 2, and that continued on until there ended up being too many spinoffs and lower quality games in the series to warrant getting them all. I also grew up with other Sega franchises, like Ristar, Phantasy Star (and Online), NiGHTS, Shenmue, Vectorman and others I can't think of off the top of my head. But honestly, these days the only ones I care about are Sonic and PSO, since NiGHTS Journey of Dreams sucked and there hasn't been a new Vectorman or Ristar in so long. I did like Billy Hatcher when that came out, though. And I loved Crazy taxi.

Also, I'm glad the roster won't be incredibly crowded with Sonic characters. I know Vectorman was deconfirmed, and I'm not expecting Ristar either, so at least I hope the other characters that will be included will be ones I at least can remember.

Edited by Pink Wisp

I am totally different from any of the posts before this. My first video game ever was Sonic Unleashed when I was 10, just 3 years ago. Then I quickly picked up the pace and then went to Sonic Heroes, Adventure, 06, 1,2,3&K and then yeah, I was here from the time the Colours hype started. My most favourite series has been Sonic the Hedgehog from the start till now and I just admire Sega so much. I don't think any other series has the charm Sonic has to it.

I love the way this game is headed and it is guaranteed that this game will be an amazing way to close of the Sonic-y year. :D

I'm 20 and I(unfortunately) started playing Sega games by the time they went to software only, that means I missed all of their consoles, but after my first sonic game(sonic advance) I started to buy sonic games and that led to buying some other Sega games for curiosity.

Now I love a lot of Sega franchises like nights, samba de amigo, jet set radio, space channel 5, virtua fighter....

I also like more recent games like bayonetta, binary domain...

In the end I hope you guys really represent a lot of parts from Sega's legacy, the past and the present too.smile.png

Edited by redhellc

We see a lot of demands for characters like Ristar, Vectorman and more - and I'm interested if you played them first time round, or if you discovered them later. If it was later, how did you find out about them? Was it through compilations like the Megadrive Collections, did you come across them via a service like Virtual Console. Or did you discover them via emulation? When did that love affair start?

---

S0L

---

I'm 26 and began console gaming back in 1991 or '92 with the Megadrive and Sonic the Hedgehog. My mum worked at a video shop and she used to sneak home the console and games like Sonic and Toejam and Earl at the weekends. ;O Pretty soon I had my own and rented (thanks to my dad's interest in games) the hell out of Sega's library over the years, outside of birthdays/Christmas where I received favourites like Super Fantasy Zone and Ristar. I missed the CD but did have a Game Gear and a 32X just for more Sonic lol.

I stuck with Sega over the Saturn years, playing NiGHTS, the Bug! series and others. When the Dreamcast finally came along, I spent a lot of time with Phantasy Star Online, as well as Sonic of course and Jet Set Radio. It wasn't so easy to rent during this time so I missed out on a fair few classics.

Since the sad moment when Sega left the console business, I've gotten my Sega/Sonic Team fix from the Gamecube, Wii and 360. If it wasn't for Pokemon and the Game Boy, I wonder if my inner fanboy would have found the transfer harder, lol.

Thankfully I get to revisit many of these franchises with the All Star series and experience that indescribable feeling that only Sega can give me once again. :]

Edited by Lungo

I've lurked here for a while, so figured I may as well join in a bit...

I'm 19... First console I remember playing was N64, so I wasn't affected by the early SEGA stuff quite as much as most around here... Used to play one of the early Sonic games round a friends house, can't remember which game... My main SEGA experiences I can remember started off with the Dreamcast, but even then, I didn't really experience many of the different SEGA franchises, mainly Sonic and Chu Chu Rocket are the ones which stand out. Skies and Shenmue, too. In fact, most of the older ones, I hadn't heard of until recently, and even then, I've not played their games. So I've never really had the same love for them as many do. So I'm rather indifferent, actually. To be completely honest, I've not got much more than merely a passing interest in most of these older characters. I wouldn't go hunting for these games, but if someone handed one to me, then I'd try it out. Although, similarly, I'm not too bothered about most of the newer characters. I've just grown up on playing games over multiple formats, and playing what I'm interested in, rather than hunting down stuff by a particular publisher, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about opinions xD I played one of the MegaDrive compilations recently, and nothing really jumped out at me as being completely amazing...

So I'd be one of those fans who is mainly in for the Sonic aspect.

I'm 37. Which means I pretty much grew up playing a lot of the classic SEGA games when they first came out. I've owned pretty much every SEGA console with the exception of the Megadrive, and then, that's as my friends had them in droves so I didn't really need to buy one! It helped I worked in a videogame shop through what I'll dub as the 'Classic Era' that's anything between Master System days right up to SEGA Saturn.

Seriously - this is often a topic of debate in the office. I think our natural assumptions in a lot of cases is that generally the forum crowds tend to veer a little younger than us, but you know, I'm not sure we always right! Well unless it's Rex we're talking about, he is almost old enough to be my Dad. Almost smile.png

---

S0L

---

..Does it even matter?

Regardless of the age or time that people first got acquainted with these characters, I doubt the vast majority of people just care about and are continuously suggesting them for no reason. I'm 21, so Sonic and I are basically twin brothers. I've known and loved Sonic the Hedgehog since I was in diapers. Hell, I can't even remember a time where I didn't. I played Ristar when it first came out in 1995. I was four at the time. The game was hard for me but I still managed to get far enough and love it enough to want to buy it and beat it later in life when I was much older.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

---

S0L

---

I'm 16 atm, and I basically missed everything from when Sega was a first party developer. I didn't play any Sega game til I was like 6, 7, or 8, my first one being Super Monkey Ball on my cousins gamecube, which really helped in making the series one of my favorite, and Super Monkey Ball 2 and Banana Blitz were what really solidified my love for the series. The only other Sega title I've really gotten to play though is Sonic, though I only got to play the gc remakes of the adventures, Heroes, the first two riders, and Colors so far (and every nintendo handheld game sans pocket adventure and colors DS), though I did get to play Samba de Amigo Wii, NiGHTS Journey of Dreams, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Puyo Pop Fever DS, and Rhythm Thief (Oh and both of the Sumo crossover games of course ;3)

Also I'm not surprised about Rex being an old fart, I mean his name alone implied that he was a dinosaur :U

I'm 24.

I played NES first, but then one christmas I got a Genesis and of course Sonic was my favorite of all the Sega games.

I'm aware of most of the other Sega characters save from the Dreamcast ones since I never had one :S

Anyway...

Stop it please, you are making me feel old D;

Edited by Polar Vec

Twenty TWO.

My first SEGA experience was my older brother's genesis (megadrive), he's 12 years older than me. I guess I was 4, 5 or 6 at the time. I used to love playing Sonic, Streets Of Rage, Altered Beast and ZOOL (3rd party character, please).

Replying to a couple of far back things here but... wanted to. 8C

Yeah but Reala is a developed character with a lot of personality to draw inspiration from, plus is different from other characters for being well, evil. I love Gum but besides 3 pieces of graffiti and whatever brief description is given of her in JSR (haven't played JSRF ;_; )

As someone who kind of wanted Gum in the game, I'll just say that in JSRF she was actually more of a main character than Beat was. In JSRF you play the tutorial as Yoyo and Gum guides you through it. Tab is actually the leader of the GG's and you don't actually face and unlock Beat in a race until a good 15 minutes into the game. At which point he's just a regular character unlock and you play as whoever you want to play as for the rest of the game (with Gum being avaliable from the moment you finish the tutorial). He is the FIRST character unlock but still, you can play as Yoyo, Gum, and Tab (or "Corn" as he's known in JSRF) from the start.

I was honestly quite surprised when I finally played JSRF at how minor a role Beat has.

I will agree though that Gum doesn't have vast amounts of inspiration to draw from. To be honest I'd be totally okay if she was just a model/voice swap for Beat.

Even Blaze's voice remained positive throughout the series. The 4kids era? I've never seen a single complaint about her voice. Who did we receive complaints from? Sonic, Shadow, Amy, etc. Blaze's voice actress gave her both emotion and attitude that we failed to see in other Sonic characters. If there was one 4Kids actor that I wanted to return, it would have to be Blaze. Her new VA isn't too bad though.

I just wanted to respond to this by pointing out, Blaze didn't exist before the 4kids era, so no-one was complaining because there was nothing to say "Her old voice was better!" over.

With regards to S0L's question... I'm not really relevant because I don't have much SEGA nostalgia. As I've made clear in previous discussions I'm mostly here for the Sonic, that's all I played as a kid. Most beloved SEGA franchises I've tried outside of their time I've found to be not up to the hype at all. To be honest I mainly just want Gum in because JSR is one of the few I stuck with upon investing my time in (and she's pretty). 8C

Edited by JezMM

Replying to a couple of far back things here but... wanted to. 8C

As someone who kind of wanted Gum in the game, I'll just say that in JSRF she was actually more of a main character than Beat was. In JSRF you play the tutorial as Yoyo and Gum guides you through it. Tab is actually the leader of the GG's and you don't actually face and unlock Beat in a race until a good 15 minutes into the game. At which point he's just a regular character unlock and you play as whoever you want to play as for the rest of the game (with Gum being avaliable from the moment you finish the tutorial). He is the FIRST character unlock but still, you can play as Yoyo, Gum, and Tab (or "Corn" as he's known in JSRF) from the start.

I was honestly quite surprised when I finally played JSRF at how minor a role Beat has.

I will agree though that Gum doesn't have vast amounts of inspiration to draw from. To be honest I'd be totally okay if she was just a model/voice swap for Beat.

Personally, I'd rather have had Corn in his Future design. He's my favorite character from the game.

Edited by MarcelloF

---

S0L

---

21 by September; i grew up by the age of 7 exclusevly with the Playstation line (no console wars here, please), but sometimes i played with a Saturn on the first Sonic game and Mickey Castle of Illusion. Yeah, a poor library, but i'm not the one asking only retro/obscure characters. Gladly, i made research about Ristar and i began recently to play his game, and judging by that i understand why people ask for him to be in. But i'm definetly about some modern era rapresentation since i played with almost all the Platinum Games titles and i have in program to do next Resonance of Fate (wich i already tried with a friend), Binary Domain, Golden Axe: Beast Rider (i know, i just want to play it), Sonic 06 (yes, despite its flaws i want to play it), Sonic Unleashed and the Yakuza HD Collection. Well, and possibly some of the SEGA ports like the 2 Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio and NiGHTS.

So in my case, i'm not bitching about the exclusion of Vectorman or other Sonic characters. Yeah, maybe i wanted Silver in it, but it was just a small desire due to complete the trio of hedgehogs (along with Sonic and Shadow). But still i will not bitching even if modern era will not get any rep, because by now, the game itself is really promising and whatever they can add in it (even secondary characters from a franchise already represented) will be ok to me.

Wow, I never knew that SSMB was inhabited by 20+ year olds. You might cringe when I break your record...

Don't be fooled and think "I bet your first console was a PS2!!!" because it wasn't. I actually had a Genesis growing up and I had many of SEGA's best classics such as Sonic and Ecco the Dolphin. I had a bunch of others too but I don't really remember which ones.

I just wanted to respond to this by pointing out, Blaze didn't exist before the 4kids era, so no-one was complaining because there was nothing to say "Her old voice was better!" over.

I'm going to be honest here, the PRE-4Kids voices weren't that great. It wasn't until this era that we got some pretty good VAs for Sonic and Tails.

Voice Actors aren't just judged on weather or not the previous incarnation was better. A lot of the people saw the whole "RYAN VS JASON!11" arguments a joke. IMO, both sucked and I don't want to hear either of them again. Blaze's Voice Actor was spot on, and didn't sound awful compared to the rest of the 4Kids. You could tell the emotion was gone in other characters and most were annoying. Blaze? Nope!

But I would REALLY hate to bring back the "I <3 BLAZE!!" stuff back. I might get some people too excited!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm 21 and I don't think that really has anything to do with anything.

I assume your only speaking for yourself right? And even if it didn't matter, there's nothing wrong with a bit curiosity. Edited by Djawed