Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

Wow, I never knew that SSMB was inhabited by 20+ year olds. You might cringe when I break your record...

Don't be fooled and think "I bet your first console was a PS2!!!" because it wasn't. I actually had a Genesis growing up and I had many of SEGA's best classics such as Sonic and Ecco the Dolphin. I had a bunch of others too but I don't really remember which ones.

I'm going to be honest here, the PRE-4Kids voices weren't that great. It wasn't until this era that we got some pretty good VAs for Sonic and Tails.

Voice Actors aren't just judged on weather or not the previous incarnation was better. A lot of the people saw the whole "RYAN VS JASON!11" arguments a joke. IMO, both sucked and I don't want to hear either of them again. Blaze's Voice Actor was spot on, and didn't sound awful compared to the rest of the 4Kids. You could tell the emotion was gone in other characters and most were annoying. Blaze? Nope!

But I would REALLY hate to bring back the "I <3 BLAZE!!" stuff back. I might get some people too excited!

I think I responded already but mine was quite similar to yours, just that I went from Unleashed to Heroes and went straight to the Classics and Adventure DX and I only started everything around 2008-2009. I still much younger than you, so yeah.

I assume your only speaking for yourself right?

No, I'm not.

Age has nothing to do with the characters we like. Sure, a lot of us grew up when that shit was fairly popular, so what? I didn't even know what the hell Ristar was until about 2007. I didn't know who Joe Musashi was till about 2008 or 2009. Just because we grew up in that era doesn't mean we knew every single goddamn thing about SEGA.

26. And I need to find a mature franchise. tongue.png

Grew up with Sonic and Mario when I was six, but I never had a Genesis because my family wasn't like the other people down the block that had every console known to man. Only stuck with Nintendo consoles because I could only afford one and kept with familiar franchises because of the quality. Finally got a Dreamcast last year.

God, I feel like Methuselah on this forum surrounded by all of those 21 year olds. Get off my lawn, dagnabbit.

Edited by Scheming Minor

Im 23. I dont think age should really matter when it comes to things you like.

Edited by Eternlo

You know, one thing that constantly surprises me is the vociferous love for so many of the older SEGA games.

I'm actually genuinely curious to know how old some of you are... I'll start smile.png

I'm 37. Which means I pretty much grew up playing a lot of the classic SEGA games when they first came out. I've owned pretty much every SEGA console with the exception of the Megadrive, and then, that's as my friends had them in droves so I didn't really need to buy one! It helped I worked in a videogame shop through what I'll dub as the 'Classic Era' that's anything between Master System days right up to SEGA Saturn.

We see a lot of demands for characters like Ristar, Vectorman and more - and I'm interested if you played them first time round, or if you discovered them later. If it was later, how did you find out about them? Was it through compilations like the Megadrive Collections, did you come across them via a service like Virtual Console. Or did you discover them via emulation? When did that love affair start?

Seriously - this is often a topic of debate in the office. I think our natural assumptions in a lot of cases is that generally the forum crowds tend to veer a little younger than us, but you know, I'm not sure we always right! Well unless it's Rex we're talking about, he is almost old enough to be my Dad. Almost smile.png

---

S0L

---

Hello S0L. I'm 27 years old, born in 1985. As far back as I can remember, I watched my older brother plays Street of Rage. As I grow a little bit older as a child, my very first Sega game and my number one hero is Sonic the hedgehog. I happened to be his fan since my childhood. Then I keep play his games on Sega Genesis. I always wanted to play Game Gear but I never have the chance. Then I seen the arcade of Virtua Fighters in the movie theaters. Then I seen it again in Toys "r" us.

The only two Sega systems that I never play are 32X,and Game Gear.

Next, I got Saturn, then I finally get to play Virtua Fighters. As I grow older in the Saturn era, I've discovered NiGHTS who happened to be my first heroine, then Daytona USA, and then Bug on the Saturn previews. After that, then I got into Sega which have me more interested.

In Dreamcast era, I got the system and played it. But there's more, I read the Dreamcast magazines where I learned about Shenmue,Space Channel 5,Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia,Jet Set Radio, Chuchu Rocket and Phantasy Star Online.

Then as the years goes by after Gamecube developed, I discovered Billy Hatcher as I watched the commercial. Then I learned about Super Monkey Ball as I watched Gamecube Previews.

Next in the Modern Era, I didn't know about Alex Kidd and Gilius Thunderhead nor heard of them, until I played Sega Superstars Tennis. I was so excited about the Sega games that gathers the Sega characters. That's where I first discovered them. And then, as the first ASR game at works, I didn't know about Ristar,Vectorman,Bonozna Bros, and OpaOpa until I joined Sega Forums. And I started to learn about them. And then they bringing out Bayonetta. Then I playing ASR which I always dream of having a thing that involves Sonic and different sega characters to compete in the race since I was a child after the discovery of NiGHTS,Daytona USA,and Bug in the Saturn era. I even made a course and 4 Sega characters that I know such as Sonic,NiGHTS,Bug,and Akira Yuki out of papers before I know Alex Kidd,and the others way back then. Its great to be a Sega fan.

Edited by Shego13

No, I'm not.

Age has nothing to do with the characters we like. Sure, a lot of us grew up when that shit was fairly popular, so what? I didn't even know what the hell Ristar was until about 2007. I didn't know who Joe Musashi was till about 2008 or 2009. Just because we grew up in that era doesn't mean we knew every single goddamn thing about SEGA.

Yeah, but the reason why i said that is because it should only apply to you(and others if you will) because his curiosity for someones age shouldnt have to nesceseraly mean anything except fOr simply just that.

Age isnt the only thing what it's about anyway. In context of his whole post you can see S0L was more looking for passionate SEGA stories like his own. Basically how fellow fans normally share interests with one another. Wether one is young with little SEGA background or with alot of it in order to share his story doesn't matter indeed in that sense.

Not forgetting about the fact these guys are game devs so at the same time it could matter alot.

Edited by Djawed

i don't think it was a serious question that could have something to do with the game's development, but more of a curiosity question on our personal history with SEGA and it's IP's....

nothing wrong with wanting to know our SEGA past, it's a nice break from the Transformed discussion and shows Steve and Rex are wanting to connect with their fans on a friendly, personal level.

• Thumbs Up 3

So they can rape us.

No, so they can attempt to distract us from what we really want; New character reveals! smile.png

Edited by Unidus
  • Thumbs Up 1

No, so they can attempt to distract us from what we really want; New character reveals!

I don't want new character reveals.

I just want to stay unraped.

Edited by Billionaire Playboy Wario
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't want new character reveals.

I just want to stay unraped.

LOL. You're safe. However, I have some sweeties if you want one.....

I'm 52. And possibly the oldest SEGA fan in the world.... I was the first person to fly solo across the English channel. I invented steam. I survived the Battle of Hastings and went home with a Tee shirt which read, "I was in the battle of Hastings and all I got was this lousy arrow in the eye". I watched while India crashed into Asia. I *am* the fossil record ....and I'm older than God.

Anyone older? Don't worry, it's rhetorical.

• Thumbs Up 7

Here's my tale: im 15. Sonic 1 was the first game I played, as a baby. I played many other games on SEGA, like True Lies. Then, I found SA2B, which turned out to be lame. Then, I bought Sonic Mega Collection. It was great. I then entered a big sega phase, renting a lot of sega games. I still aquired Sonic games. I am very upset about no more Sonic characters. There were 7 +1 DLC in the original, have a heart and release Blaze the Cat DLC.

I don't think any aspect of the character roster is going to disappoint me as much as Big's axing (inevitable though it was). When we have characters like Vyse for a niche of older and loyal SEGA fans, Big was sort of hitting that niche for Sonic fans. He's just one of my faves!

EDIT: Because this sounds too negative, the character roster is actually incredibly sweet so far. Especially the guest characters.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn't it be hilarious now if they did a huge fanfare trailer in which they announced Blaze.

From Streets Of Rage.

If they did that then SUMO would instantly get bumped up a rank or two in my list of all time favorite game developers.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'd like both Axel and Blaze, and optionally Skate, Max, Adam, Roo, and/or Shiva as well. The "no more Sonic folks" may actually be a grim sign of things to come. First the friends were removed from playablity in main games, then from playablity in handhelds and relevance in main games, and now they are being pulled from a spinoff. I am afraid we will never see them again at this point.

I'd like both Axel and Blaze, and optionally Skate, Max, Adam, Roo, and/or Shiva as well. The "no more Sonic folks" may actually be a grim sign of things to come. First the friends were removed from playablity in main games, then from playablity in handhelds and relevance in main games, and now they are being pulled from a spinoff. I am afraid we will never see them again at this point.

Of course, Tails in Episode II didn't mean anything and so did Blaze in the last handled (not console dumbed down handled) game.

Free Riders last year is also a sign that the friends will never appear again.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 3

Wouldn't it be hilarious now if they did a huge fanfare trailer in which they announced Blaze.

From Streets Of Rage.

That would be fantastic.

The more I think about it, the more I find Axel Stone & Blaze Fielding in a COP car one of the best thi

ng that could ever happen :P

I don't think any aspect of the character roster is going to disappoint me as much as Big's axing (inevitable though it was). When we have characters like Vyse for a niche of older and loyal SEGA fans, Big was sort of hitting that niche for Sonic fans. He's just one of my faves!

EDIT: Because this sounds too negative, the character roster is actually incredibly sweet so far. Especially the guest characters.

As we've said before, Bigs isn't dead, He's just resting. I have no doubt we'll see him in future... Its part of what we do. We try to keep the characters alive!

If they did that then SUMO would instantly get bumped up a rank or two in my list of all time favorite game developers.

Bumped UP from number one???? Not possible.is it?

We are at number one, of course!!!! yeah?

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh no... that's what parents tell their kids when their cat has died!

Looks like I'm going to have to go stomp on somebody's cat then, because Big needs to die.

Looks like I'm going to have to go stomp on somebody's cat then, because Big needs to die.

One does not simply 'step' on Big the Cat.

• Thumbs Up 1