Awoo.

'06 Blaze and Sonic Rush Blaze

Frozen Nitrogen

Nevermind my crazy-ass theory that you all ignored despite making more sense than anything in this topic. XD

But really, 06 was a mistake, I think we should forget it ever existed and call discontinuity on it. TvTropes sure as hell did.

Edited by Soma Cruz

Fair enough, at least until Sonic Team decides to find away to play off of its events even if they didn't canonically happen per se.

Nevermind my crazy-ass theory that you all ignored despite making more sense than anything in this topic. XD

Ah, I hate it when this happens to me, so for the sake of not being a hypocrite...

06 and the Rivals games technically never happened.

Emphasis on the "technically" part, however. The events of these three games were a VR simulation that Silver was strapped into for some unknown purpose, possibly to train his powers. The inconsistencies could simply be just the simulation disregarding known information in order to provide a proper simulation, regardless of how nonsensical it was.

The problem I have with this theory is that, well, honestly it doesn't seem like one to me. To me, a theory would attempt to use what the game shows in order to hazard out a way to explain its plotholes. In all honesty, this just seems like an excuse you made up to justifying ignoring the issue. I mean, you might as well just say, "Hey, let's pretend these games never happened."

And while I can't say that approach is wrong, I personally just can't settle for that.

Pretend "game x" never happened is an excuse yes, but they can't all exist within the same timeline. The moon is an issue that can be discarded, it's probably an error, but Blaze cannot be discarded as a simple plothole. Although it's one of my most hated games, I still think 06 takes precedence to Rivals and Rush simply because they are made by different teams (no matter how they were supervised) than the main one so they're allowed to stray from the main concept. So these two are spinoffs and an excuse to get Silver and Blaze in on a story when it's hard to do it on the main franchise.

I don't get it why Blaze saying blue hedgehog has anything to do with it. She's just thinking about it, that doesn't imply she recognizes anything. And even if she did recognize him, Sonic doesn't recognize her so Rush needs to be after 06 happened. If we go by the Rush universe being in the future if Iblis didn't happen, then both this one and 06 with Iblis could be at the same time, having her "remember" or being thoughtful about it as Elise is at the end of 06. Which makes no sense whatsoever if it never happened but there we go.

I pretend that Sonic 06 doesn't exist in the same way Silvester Stallone pretends Rocky V doesn't exist.

Basically, he seems to have decided that it was crap, and the recent movie mentions nothing from it, and even contradicts it in some ways.

I pretend that Sonic 06 doesn't exist in the same way Silvester Stallone pretends Rocky V doesn't exist.

Basically, he seems to have decided that it was crap, and the recent movie mentions nothing from it, and even contradicts it in some ways.

I'd like to think that 06 never existed as well and since I read SEGA has said to disregard everything from after SA2 to SU it's all fine and dandy. If anyone has a link for this, I'd apreciate it.

Does any of the games after it contradict it? Unleashed is standalone I think. Chronicles and storybook obvious spin-off (and the latter "dreams" perhaps). Is there anything else?

Edited by redmenace

Rush Adventure completely ignores it, if that counts... Actually, I think Eggman Nega made mention of a "royal family" that Blaze presumably belongs to, which, in short, is a massive contradiction.

In my opinion, neither happened first. In the events of Sonic '06, Sonic Rush never happened, and vise versa. I will elaborate on how I believe they took place in alternate timelines.

Timeline A

Sonic CD - 1996

Solaris Project - 1996

Normaility - 1996-2005

Shadow the Hedgehog - 2005

Sonic visits the Festival of the Sun - 2006

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - 2006

Timeline terminated, reverts to timeline B.

Timeline B

Sonic CD - 1996

Normality - 1996-2005

Shadow the Hedgehog - 2005

Sonic visits the Festival of the Sun - 2006

Sonic Rush - 2006

Sonic Riders - 2006

Continues as current timeline

Spoilers ahead, you have been warned.

At some point in time, the series forked into two different timelines - The Sonic '06 timeline (which ended in self-termination), and the timeline that is normality. The fork could have took place directly after Sonic CD, or could have been around since the beginning. My explanation for it being directly after Sonic CD is that the futures depicted in that game did not display the Iblis' post-apocalyptic chaotic inferno. My explanation is that the Soleanna Project accident had not occurred yet, and therefore was unable to affect the future. The events of Sonic CD most likely took place before the Soleanna Project.

However, the point at which the fork is noticeable is when Sonic visits the Festival of the Sun. In the intro of Sonic '06, that is Timeline A - the Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 timeline. It is this timeline in which the events of Sonic '06 do take place, in which Sonic, Shadow, Silver, and the rest of the crew try to prevent the Flames of Disaster from being released. (However, they are unsuccessful) - Sonic is killed by Mephiles, Iblis is released, and Mephiles conjoins with him, becoming Solaris. End of the World takes place, Sonic is revived, and the hedgehog trio become super and defeat Solaris. After this, Sonic and Elise enter timelessness - the black nothingness that is the past, present, and future. It is here when Elise blows out the Flame of Hope.

The blowing out of the Flame of Hope erases Timeline A from existence. It was terminated - the events that took place in that timeline never happened. The Solaris Project was never performed (The Flame of Hope didn't exist), Blaze and Silver never met each other (or Sonic, for that matter) ((Which is why both of them had to introduce themselves in their respectful debut titles, and Blaze's statement of being friendless and isolated from the outside world all of her life.)) After the flame is blown out, Sonic is seen at the Festival of the Sun. This is the reversion to the original timeline, Timeline B. It is in this timeline that Sonic Rush takes place (I'm going to say it occurred in 2006 our time, seeing as that the current year in the series hasn't been disclosed.), Sonic Riders, and so forth.

This is my theory for the chronological order for things - as for explaining just when and where Eggman Nega and Blaze are from...that'll be for another post.

My explanation is that the Soleanna Project accident had not occurred yet, and therefore was unable to affect the future. The events of Sonic CD most likely took place before the Soleanna Project.

On the whole, well thought out; but don't forget that the futures in Sonic CD depict the futures of the LITTLE PLANET, which is both a different ball of rock AND a different dimension (given its propensity to vanish for 29 days of the month), so I'm not wholly convinced it's legitimate to ascribe any significance to the lack of fire everywhere in those futures. Good spot nonetheless, though; I certainly hadn't thought of it.

I can see why people would want to act as if 2006 never existed, but (deliberately) contradicting an entry in a series just because of negative reception (no matter how negative) seems a bit much to me. I would say just don't reference it.

There's an explanation I have for the Blaze plothole, but it's not a "theory", per se - it's just a sort of unspoken mindset I use for the purpose of my fan works. I posted it in the Plotholes thread, so here it is.

For practical purposes, such as my fan works that feature Sonic, I try to avoid plotholes like this one whenever possible. If it's necessary to make a reference to one of the games the paradox involves, however, there's a sort of loose way I think of it. For the purpose of my fan works, the Sonic video games were based off his actual adventures, so of course not every detail could be replicated exactly. The events of Sonic 2006 were erased, but Sonic appears to have some vague memories of it in the ending cutscene. Thus, Sonic 2006 was compiled from what Sonic could remember, which wasn't everything - so the game makers fabricated a little. Sonic Rush had already been published, and Blaze was a popular character, so on a tight budget and schedule (as I seem to recall being the case in real life), the team stuck Blaze into the game as Silver's partner. Whether Silver actually had a partner, or what exactly happened when the game depicts that he returned to the future and had the Iblis sealed inside Blaze, is unknown - Sonic didn't see any of it, so he couldn't provide any information. The Sonic Rivals series likely didn't actually happen, and were just created as "for fun" games, like any of the other Sonic games considered non-canon.

None of this is actually stated in my works, though, to keep the canon as pure as possible. That's just how I think of it to assist me in creating, so you could see me include references to the Rush series and 2006, but not the Rivals series.

I can see why people would want to act as if 2006 never existed, but (deliberately) contradicting an entry in a series just because of negative reception (no matter how negative) seems a bit much to me. I would say just don't reference it.

It's not so much the fact that it's a bad game (even if that's part of the justification for it) so much as it is the fact that it, umm, erased itself from canon to the best of its ability. Obviously Sonic Team didn't even do THAT right because people are still trying to make odds and ends of this plothole to begin with.

I mean, honestly, nobody would erase nearly all events in a game's storyline if they weren't intending to cover their tracks. Even Sonic Team must be aware of how badly they fucked up if this is any indicator - it makes it look as though they themselves want to pretend this game never existed.

Though it's odd that they'd reference it in the form of XB-2006 later on in Unleashed.

I mean, honestly, nobody would erase nearly all events in a game's storyline if they weren't intending to cover their tracks. Even Sonic Team must be aware of how badly they fucked up if this is any indicator - it makes it look as though they themselves want to pretend this game never existed.
Nah, I think that's a pretty common time travel story gimmick. It's not exactly a satisfying ending, but it's certainly not proof that they were trying to get rid of the game itself.

I mean, they surely regret it now, since it's such an abortion of a game and it's fully recognized as such, but there's no reason to assume that was the case when they were writing the story...

I've never seen the "erasing the whole series of events" gimmick before, even when used in stories that have time travel.

I've never seen the "erasing the whole series of events" gimmick before, even when used in stories that have time travel.
Not in any game I know of, but I do know it's been done countless times in FairlyOdd Parents. :P

That show has actually done pretty much everything. Great show, when I used to watch it.

Rush Blaze, 2006 Blaze...what's the big difference? They both start with J. :D

• Bad Quality Post 1