Awoo.

Dogs!

Nepenthe

Got two new adorable little additions to the family :D We got this pair of darlings yesterday. They're sisters and are both 6 weeks old.

First up is my mother's new Yorkshire Terrier Pup Ruby

rubypup.png

Second is my younger sister's pup Rosie

rosiepup.png

Rosie seems to have a shaggier coat whilst Ruby has a smooth coat. We think Rosie will grow into a long haired Yorkie. They both have huge personalities, already attempting to play with Sheba. They even chase Susie. We watch 'em like Hawks though so they don't get into mischief :lol:

• Thumbs Up 3

Adorable yorkies, Verte. x3 I admire your family for taking on two terriers along with your other pets. Terriers are just feisty little bastards, and that attitude only grows the smaller they get.

If possible, see if PAWS Atlanta or the Atlanta Humane Society can take him in and get him up for adoption. They may have a chance of finding him a good home.

Are you able to call and get dogs transferred from shelter to shelter? He's already at DeKalb Animal Control and will simply be put up on adoption on Friday. I looked at their site, and without proof of ownership I can't really claim him and put him somewhere else, as much as I'd like to. While I'm confident he will go somewhere due to his temperment and age, I'm starting to wish I'd called one of those societies earlier before they closed, but I'll be calling and going online to check his progress.

Adorable yorkies, Verte. x3 I admire your family for taking on two terriers along with your other pets. Terriers are just feisty little bastards, and that attitude only grows the smaller they get.

You got that right XD. Ruby even growls at the huge Sheba and runs around her legs. She a feisty little madam who loves to play despite her tiny size and the fact that she's only 6 weeks and 2 days old. Her sister Rosie is more sedentary, she has a really funny habit of lying on her back whilst she's asleep and lolling her tongue out.

lazyrosie.png

See how small she is compared to that Virgin Media remote control? She is miniscule!

They were both brought from a wonderful Yorkie breeder in Nottingham, the same breeder that we got Susie from. They have champions in their family background and they're pure Yorkie all the way. We even have their documents showing the names of their great, great, great grandparents. Man, breeders give their dogs odd, almost convoluted names blink.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Me and my boyfriend are thinking of owning a dog after we finish Uni next year. ^^ We want a spaniel breed, like a cocker spaniel or Cavalier King Charles spaniel. Since we're absolute beginners with owning a dog, I'm wondering which breed would suit us best.

lazyrosie.png

They were both brought from a wonderful Yorkie breeder in Nottingham, the same breeder that we got Susie from. They have champions in their family background and they're pure Yorkie all the way. We even have their documents showing the names of their great, great, great grandparents. Man, breeders give their dogs odd, almost convoluted names blink.png

Hnnnnngh! If I had championship line money, I would totally take Rosie. Such an awesome little thing. Besides, my dog needs to acquire some manners with children anyway. xP

And I think those convoluted names comes from something like a combination of the kennel, a favorite word, and the location or something in order to distinguish a particular line of dogs from the other lines out there. That's probably not an accurate rubric, but there is apparently an underlying method to the madness.

Me and my boyfriend are thinking of owning a dog after we finish Uni next year. ^^ We want a spaniel breed, like a cocker spaniel or Cavalier King Charles spaniel. Since we're absolute beginners with owning a dog, I'm wondering which breed would suit us best.

Since you're beginners, you'd want to go with a breed that's relatively low maintenance. If you and your mom are insisting on a spaniel, I'd go with the Cavalier King Charles. They're considered toy breeds and are easy to train, small, and generally laid back canines; cocker spaniels are gun dogs which means on average a higher activity level and greater need for stimulation. Also: If your family's scheduling will conflict with attending to all of the needs of a growing puppy, you might want to try and look into getting an older dog that's had home experience or training of some kind, perhaps from a rescue instead. But keep in mind that CKC's have a moderately high rate of heart failure than other breeds, so you'd want to really shop around and make sure that you're taking on a healthy animal. That's my advice concerning your two choices, but I would have a good look at the rest of toy breeds. The Havanese is a good one, and cute as a button to boot.

Hnnnnngh! If I had championship line money, I would totally take Rosie. Such an awesome little thing. Besides, my dog needs to acquire some manners with children anyway. xP

And I think those convoluted names comes from something like a combination of the kennel, a favorite word, and the location or something in order to distinguish a particular line of dogs from the other lines out there. That's probably not an accurate rubric, but there is apparently an underlying method to the madness.

The two sisters cost £850 together but my mother and sister got a slight reduction because we had bought Susie from the breeder before and because my mom is a good friend of the breeder since buying Susie and nurturing her into a fine dog. They have sporadic champions in their bloodline, not every single ancestor is a champion. According to the pedigree form, they have 12 Red Champions in the family background over 5 generations.

They're not at all inbred either. Every single ancestor on their document is a distinct individual that as far as we know, are not related. This was pretty important to my mother because she does not like inbreeding in pedigree dogs especially after seeing a program on BBC 1 that elaborated on the serious consequences of inbreeding. The breeder is extremely responsible anyways.

I lol'd when I read that their mother is named "Missy Elliot" and their father is named "Tiny Tom Blue" XD IMO, the funniest ancestor name on the pedigree is "Chevawn Special Charmer", who is one of their great, great, great granfather's :lol:

My dog

Name : Charlie

Breed: English Cocker Spaniel(not Show Type)

Colour:White and black with black speckles across his whole coat

Likes: Digging holes,food,sleeping,playing with his ball being with his ball,rolling his ball to you,catching his ball,humans,Treats,food,woodpigeons,walks

Dislikes: Being left alone(he's not bad at all though with this) people with certain things he is uncertain with e.g bags,hats,wigs,walking sticks,postman's bag, losing his ball under the sofa,baths, water,puddles ,rain and being told off.

Strengths : ADORABLENESS, looks like a pound puppy lying down.And being a general sweetheart.

Weaknesses: WATER will avoid puddles if he can and cats , cats...scare him.

Look what I just found outside!

e8u42p.jpg

Someone got into the mud!

This is my puppy, he's going to turn one in a few weeks. He's a bit of a handful, but I wouldn't trade him in for the world!

Now if you'll excuse me, it looks like I need to go give someone a bath! XD

• Thumbs Up 3

"Dogs embody loyalty they follow their masters commands above all else! Be a jerk to them and they don't complain and they never once beg for a paycheck!Trust me Fuery they're the great servants of man! Loyal canine how we salute Thee!"

xDD. *ahem* no, seriously. I'm a huge dog lover, I've taken care of a few dogs for family and a few neighbors, and if I had my way I'd be owning one right now. the only reason I don't is because of my time constraint when college is in session, and also there are certain conditions about where I currently live that are preventing that. So with that being said, once I move out and into my own place.. this is the dog I'll be getting. xP. Huskies are a personal favorite of mine, I love the eyes. *__*

Siberian_Husky_blue_eyes_Flickr.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Are you able to call and get dogs transferred from shelter to shelter? He's already at DeKalb Animal Control and will simply be put up on adoption on Friday. I looked at their site, and without proof of ownership I can't really claim him and put him somewhere else, as much as I'd like to. While I'm confident he will go somewhere due to his temperment and age, I'm starting to wish I'd called one of those societies earlier before they closed, but I'll be calling and going online to check his progress.

Apologizes for the late reply on this, but I'm not sure. If they won't take him without proof of ownership then probably not unless the Dekalb Animal Control transfers him over.

I'm not much of an expert when it comes to breeds since I've never owned a dog myself, but definitely get one that doesn't shed as cleaning up all that hair can be a pain. I'm not a fan of the really small dogs since from my personal experience they tend to be really hyper and yappy, but your experience may vary. I definitely agree with Nepenthe's suggestion of considering an older dog if you tend to have a very busy schedule.

Edited by Kevin

Hnnnghghgh. I have to type the post again (damn keyboard shortcuts..)

But yay a dog topic! I've actually never had a dog myself since my mum isn't/wasn't very fond of them. It also didn't help that my sister and I were nervous around dogs when we were kids either, but not anymore! So without further ado, meet Jacob!

jacob1.jpg

He isn't my dog, but an old friend's. She lives in Devon (about 4/5 hours drive away) so I've only ever met Jacob a couple of times. He can be quite timid around other animals, even those smaller than himself. This is particularly evident when my friend's runner ducks are out for a stroll - they appear to call the shots! XD

He also keeps himself very clean, plodding off to the bottom of my friend's massive-rich-bastard-garden after a muddy walk to tidy himself up. I was really sad to leave him the first time I visited, he was so much fun to play around with. As you can see though, I came away with plenty of pics.

I spoilt him a fair bit during first visit, buying him what I can only assume were delicious treats, in addition to the shark and penguin toys you see above. Speaking of the penguin, I'll end this post with Jacob giving its filthy feet a good solid cleaning:

jacob2.jpg

Edited by Lungo
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think cream is my favorite color for a golden. They're just a hop, skip, and a jump away from looking like a Great Pyrenees. He even looks like one in that last image.

Anyway, bumping this topic a bit to post an interesting story I read last night during Toonami shenanigans.

Stray Dog Joins China Mountain Bike Race, Travels 2000 Kilometers.

A lonely stray dog from the heart of China has won thousands of fans – and a new life – after following a cross-country bike race for 24 days.

The China Daily reports that Zhang Heng, 22, took up a grueling, mountainous bike race as a graduation trip to see if he could make it alone.

On a stop in Sichuan province, he encountered a ratty white dog that looked hungry.

“She was lying, tired, on the street,” Heng told reporters. “So we fed her, and then she followed our team.”

The dog stayed by his team’s side night and day, travelling 2,000 kilometres to the race’s finish Saturday at the Tibetan capital Lhasa.

Source

Here's a video as well:

For the uninitiated Americans, 2,000 kilometers is about 1,242 miles, and as a result of the little doggy's devotion to the bikers, she's made new friends:

95e15670jw1dtaqd1r0dfj.jpg

Adorable.

• Thumbs Up 2

My dog does the same thing, although he's sneaky about it; he won't do it in the house if we bathe him in the tub and let him air dry. If he's bathed outside and we want the sun to dry him, he waits for us to take our eyes off of him. Then it's open season on the muddiest patch he can find in the yard. And unfortunately, his little doggy mind is just too devolved to understand why I hurl expletives his way when he gets muddy nor has it made the connection that "roll in dirt = another immediate bath afterwards," and he hates baths. xD

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

BUMP

HNI_0029.jpg

This is my Sister's dog, Peaches.

She's a mix of Husky and Greyhound. She's really cute and energetic.

I love this dog so much x3

• Thumbs Up 2

:3 Peaches is adorable. <3

But as a husky/greyhound mix, I would think she gives your sister a bunch of trouble. Energetic sounds like an understatement. xP

Well, she leaves her outside most of the time.

The only way to get her to calm down is to let her wear herself out by running outside, and even that doesn't help.

But that's why she's so cute!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

We recently got a puppy since our friend's dog had a litter of 8 puppies!

We called him Shadow, and he's a cross Husky and German Shephard.

khnlijbh.jpg

Here he is at 6 days old!

fvhgfhfg.jpg

(I think) 5 or 6 weeks

558289_471423126224795_1183657261_n.jpg

This is when we brought him home!

P1100475.jpg

Picture from last week.

P1100550.jpg

And a photo I took today! He's nearly 9 weeks old now.

He's going to look awesome fully grown! <3

Having a dog is a nice feeling, since he's always there so you never feel lonely. Now I can't imagine not having Shadow around every day.

Edited by Guest

Here's Ruby (Ru-Ru) and Rosie (Ro-Ro) at 5 months old. Both Yorkshire Terriers.

2efs383.png

Rosie loves her chewie :D She belongs to my sister but we've been looking after her whilst she's away on her honeymoon. No exaggeration, she's the most loving and affectionate little Dog you could ever possibly get. I love her so much, gonna be sad when my sister takes her.

2igmw6q.png

Ruby is Rosie's sister and belongs to my mom along with Susie (Our other Yorkie). She's more sedate than Rosie but no less loving. These two pups are also extremely well behaved. I love little Ru-Ru just as much as I love her sister.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 8 months later...

Bumping this because Tumblr showed me something amazing: the Swedish Vallhund

tumblr_mo91ch4iQY1r5gx8fo1_500.jpg

It's a damn WOLF CORGI

I saw this picture and fell in love with it. I want one.

• Thumbs Up 7

If I lived in a colder climate, I would get a Newfoundland.

LANDSEERBillyv2Braunshorn.jpgNewfoundland-dog8.jpg

They're gentle giants. And they love the water. Like, a lot.

• Thumbs Up 4

When cleaning up my dropbox, found these old pics, from around last Christmas, of when our afghan puppies came to live with us.

ladathor1.jpg
ladathor5.jpg
ladathor6.jpg
(ignore the feet on the back, my slipper snapped right when we went to get them)

Now they're much bigger, need to get some pics of them. Not allowed to enter the house, but they don't care, they're afghan hounds, and as long as the door is open they'll enter and head straight to the kitchen. And then they'll be sharply bopped on the nose and told to scram with the broom. Love the little buggers.

Edited by Captain Harlock
  • Thumbs Up 3

So, my dogs all have this bizarre habit - the phone rings and they think it's a signal for them to be let out in the front yard. They could easily play in the backyard since of course that's where the dog door leads. But nope, they have to go out in the front. And this is just by the phone ringing. I don't know why the phone ringing is a signal for them to go out, but it is.

Anyone else have dogs with bizarre habits like this?