Awoo.

Swearing

Roarey Raccoon

PS: If all else fails, learn to swear in a language other than English. You guys have no idea how effective it is as a stress relief method to call someone a shithead in German without them ever knowing what it means. XP

This is the real reason why I took German, needing a mandatory foreign language class be damned.

And if they do ever figure it out and call you out on it, you can just say "no, no it really meant..." and then pull a definition for what you said straight out of your ass. They'll be none the wiser.

Eh, I have no problem with swearing in general. I do it on a daily basis. But, I try to keep it to myself and say more of the...mild swear words, if you know what I mean.

I just don't like EXCESSIVE swearing. I find that annoying.=/ But, meh, can't do much about that. *shrugs*

Cussing is a big part of my life. I cuss whenever possible even at work. My parents are still old fashioned to where I cant cuss around them but once they are out of sight my mouth goes wild.

Edited by Random Rhyme 3rd Verse

Heh, I'm from Australia, so swearing is pretty much part of the national vernacular. =P

It's a funny part of language that we put away certain words as inherently offensive and taboo. But, like anything, if you forbid people to use certain things, they become way more appealing, and using them is seen as an act of rebellion against the powers that forbid you from them (parents, elders, government, etc). It's like when you learn a new language at school - you usually try to learn the naughty words first.

There's also the scientific fact that swearing your head off after you injure yourself actually increases your pain tolerance, which suggests that because we don't use swear words often (due to their cultural taboo), they carry an emotional punch that dulls the pain.

That being said, I personally have no problem with swearing. I don't do it excessively, just a few cusses here and there to emphasise things that normal words wouldn't. My parents still have a problem with it from time to time. But hey, words are words, and I have the right to use them however I want, so fuck it.

• Thumbs Up 2

PS: If all else fails, learn to swear in a language other than English. You guys have no idea how effective it is as a stress relief method to call someone a shithead in German without them ever knowing what it means. XP

It really does feel more fun to cuss in other languages. I can cuss in Spanish, cabrónes. Swears are really the only Spanish you need to know in Mexico, que tal? xD

I fucking love you guys. >D

But really, I can understand racial slurs, but when it comes to "swear words", I just find it incredibly stupid that there are words that are actually labeled as "bad".

Oh, what was that I said earlier? "fucking"? Did somebody just got sent to the hospital? Got hurt? Died?

No?

Then what's the fucking problem?

What, the fact that this word exists and is used offends you?

...get the fuck out of here.

Really, it's straight up idiotic. Like Wolfy said, it's understandable towards those who grew up in a different time, but I can honestly see the negative connotations attributed to certain words just die out altogether. These days, the world just doesn't care that they're "bad words": they're just words. They're in use every given day by people in general.

That's it. The end.

• Thumbs Up 2

You people need to quit this cussing shit.

Watch your fucking language.

Personally I don't mind cursing, unless you overuse it to the point of it being every other word in a sentence every time you speak. Then you just look/sound dumb. I really don't get why some words get people so offended when they won't bat an eye at someone using a similar word that means the same thing.

Edited by Ekaje

Eh, never really saw the big deal of it to be honest, I mean yeah swearing is used for emphasis, but I don't see how its so terribly offensive to the ear, I mean how is "fuck" and different from everyday words like "Bad" or "terrible" its ridiculous.

Although I make it a point to not swear around my parents, even nowadays I still get smacked for letting my mouth slip, especially around my Mom, she hates it when I cuss; might be because we're Christian though, so there's that.

Fuck, I need a drink.

I rarely swear on the internet, for some reason. I swear occasionally in real life (pets are so stressful to take care of sometimes ;-; ), but online? Only when I'm really pissed about something. In any case, I don't mind others swearing, it doesn't really harm anyone and can certainly help the person swearing if they're really stressed. I don't see any good reason for being upset over something like that.

(Racial and other discriminatory slurs, on the other hand, make me uncomfortable, to be honest...there's more to them than "just words", in my opinion.)

My parents aren't too strict about swearing, it seems. When I was younger, perhaps, but nowadays they swear so much that if they got mad at me for swearing, well...it'd be pretty hypocritical of them haha

Edited by ElementofChaos7

Some people say that swearing is immature. I would agree that swear words can be used immaturely, but it depends entirely on the context. Like, for example, a high school freshman who swears excessively because they think it makes them sound grown up and cool. No, in those cases it just makes them sound like squealing little bags of piss.

But to just use them in an ordinary manner, there is nothing wrong with that at all. "Shit" and "hell" are some of my favorite words ever. They're the perfect words to use when I want to convey anger, fear, sadness, happiness, frustration, indifference, and everything else in-between. Also, who and/or what decides which words are swear words? Most people I know don't seem to consider "hell" a swear word, but if I say it around my mother, she acts like I just peed in her food. When I was a kid, I said the word "crap" a lot. Nobody cared in the slightest, save for the family of my best friend who wouldn't even allow us to say "sucks".

Which brings me to my next point: I think limiting the usage of swear words or acting offended because someone "said the 'F' word" is immaturity in a pretentious form. When I hear a fully grown adult scold another grown adult for swearing, it instantly makes me think of a little kid running to a teacher because a classmate said a potty word. It's one thing to ask someone to tone it down, it's a whole other thing to act like you're morally superior for wincing at the sound of anything that rhymes with "fuck".

Edited by Speederino

There's also the scientific fact that swearing your head off after you injure yourself actually increases your pain tolerance, which suggests that because we don't use swear words often (due to their cultural taboo), they carry an emotional punch that dulls the pain.
Eeeeeh This entire thing bothered me.

I honestly think it's less connected to swear words and more "words we associate as powerful". Take a kid who knows no swears, often it's just "OW". Because as kid that's pretty much our involentary "This hurts loud noise time" sound.

So I'd like to suggest if somehow we could make constantinople a swear instead and "Fuck" and "shit" was long gone, people would be screaming that =P

Basically. Power-words. What's deemed as poweful will be powerful. *Wanders out*

From when I wake up to when I go to bed, if I have not swore at least 13 times, I'm either ill or dying.

• Thumbs Up 2

I say 'shit' as my bog-standard 'Damn, something's wrong' word. Admittedly I don't drop F-bombs too gratuitously, although use them when I see fit.

I don't have problems with swearing itself; it's only when and how people use it that can potentially irk me a little. Sorry, but if you're in a public place; on the street, at the shops or at some kind of public event, I think you should at least try and rein it in a little, or at least be a bit less liberal with them. I just find it somewhat embarrassing to be around people who are talking/ swearing gratuitously and loudly in public.

It pisses me off when people just throw swearwords around for absolutely no fucking reason. You're pissed off and want to express that? Fine. You want to emphasise a point a bit more than less colourful language can allow? Sure. Swearwords can be funny if used with the right timing in the right places. Just don't throw fucking swearwords into a fucking sentence every other fucking word without any fucking context or meaning just for the fucking sake of it, because it makes you look like a fucking twat in his early teens who's trying to sound big and clever by using some new grown-up words he just learned. (And in fairness, that sentence would be almost fine IMO sans-strikeout if it was actually being used angrily; I mean the people who literally just throw it in for absolutely no purpose and without context).

I'm fine with swearing as long as it's at least somewhat justified, and so long as people at least have enough tact and social skills to know which situations they should cut back in. I specifically remember at SoS 08, some people were dropping F-bombs around a ten-year old kid who was sat with his Dad. Yeah, that's not cool. Swearing in situations like that just make you look like a bit of a tactless, irresponsible douchebag.

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 4

I never swear around other people, and rarely do when I'm online or by myself, but I'm pretty much unfazed by it when I hear others swearing. I even wonder how such words even became to be viewed as profane nowadays. Sometimes I think that if/when done right, a bit of profanity can help get your point across and/or make a certain situation or scene funnier than it normally would be. I will admit that it can get annoying as fuck when people excessively use swears for no other reason than to look cool among his peers. (See what I did there?)

Edited by Zinos

More or less what -Mark- just said. I swear, but not around my parents cause they dislike it. And I'm more likely to say "damn" or "bloody" than what most people would refer to as swears these days. The thing about people who do swear excessively because their vocabulary is apparently so limited is that they tend to be complete arseholes that I'd rather not speak to regardless. It's not always the case, my brother being the prime example from my POV, but in general. You can judge a book by its cover more often that you'd like to admit is true, and the words written in it will usually just back that up.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I honestly think it's less connected to swear words and more "words we associate as powerful".
Isn't that essentially the root definition of a curse word? Serious question here, because looking at this I'm really starting to believe people have just misconstrued the original meaning of the term in favour of singling out words that for one reason or another are seen as that special kind of taboo. At the heart of things it really doesn't matter if people do that kind of venting along the lines of "fucking cuntshitdicks that hurt like a bitch" or "d'oh, twaddling fiddlesticks that really stonking hurts" (obviously I'm not very british - just ask Hogfather how he'd word it), because at the root of things they both exist essentially to curse whatever force was responsible, however literally the extent may be.

The only real thing that stops them from being perceived as equally vulgar amounts to little more than preconceptions ingrained into human culture for however long it's been considered normal to say the word "fuck" in anything other than an explicitly sexual context. Which kinda makes me wonder what things would be like if the word "ow" were suddenly considered just as offensive tomorrow. XD

I personally avoid vulgar language unless it fits the context. It actually lets me be creative with how I insult people or express frustration.

I don't mind if other people swear around me though. Sometimes it can be pretty funny to read. I guess it depends on how it's written or something.

You people need to quit this cussing shit.

Oh yeah? Well you fight like a cow.

I don't have problems with swearing itself; it's only when and how people use it that can potentially irk me a little. Sorry, but if you're in a public place; on the street, at the shops or at some kind of public event, I think you should at least try and rein it in a little, or at least be a bit less liberal with them. I just find it somewhat embarrassing to be around people who are talking/ swearing gratuitously and loudly in public.

It pisses me off when people just throw swearwords around for absolutely no fucking reason. You're pissed off and want to express that? Fine. You want to emphasise a point a bit more than less colourful language can allow? Sure. Swearwords can be funny if used with the right timing in the right places. Just don't throw fucking swearwords into a fucking sentence every other fucking word without any fucking context or meaning just for the fucking sake of it, because it makes you look like a fucking twat in his early teens who's trying to sound big and clever by using some new grown-up words he just learned. (And in fairness, that sentence would be almost fine IMO sans-strikeout if it was actually being used angrily; I mean the people who literally just throw it in for absolutely no purpose and without context).

I'm fine with swearing as long as it's at least somewhat justified, and so long as people at least have enough tact and social skills to know which situations they should cut back in. I specifically remember at SoS 08, some people were dropping F-bombs around a ten-year old kid who was sat with his Dad. Yeah, that's not cool. Swearing in situations like that just make you look like a bit of a tactless, irresponsible douchebag.

Pretty much this for me. Just because you like to say fuck in every single sentence doesn't mean you should do it in public. You should always be considerate of other people and your surroundings, and not be immature with your "Well you can go fuck yourself if you don't like my language."

Onine, and with friends or by yourself is fine. Or like others have said when the situation or environment allows for it. When you're absolutely sure nobody will mind it. Like expressing your worries to someone about not wanting to take an exam. Or when you're watching The Angry Video Game Nerd you want to hear him curse.

F words in my family are never used. And I like to keep it that way. For some reason I don't like the idea of any of my family members cursing. When it comes to other people it's different.

I tend to censor myself here, just in case of small children and offending anyone. That being said, I don't swear much anyway. My parents never wanted me to swear, and it wasn't until high school that I was exposed to heavy swearing.

But I dunno, now that I'm older, it doesn't seem to bother my parents anymore, in fact, I've adapted a way of swearing in a comical manner that seems to always make my mother laugh. As a result, I no longer swear in an aggressive manner, I just use as comedic material.

Isn't the mind a strange thing...?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd6YGYgXgPQ&feature=related

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't swear at all. I may drop a "hell" once in a while, but I don't use the big swears...out loud at least. I have been known to type some pretty vulgar things when I am mad about something...I sent someone a text about her boyfriend using pretty much every swear I could think of I was that mad. I don't regret it either (she doesn't talk to me any more, but not because of that, something much more idiotic).

I am not bothered by swearing, although sometimes the language I hear out of young children surprises me, but they are bound to learn it eventually so...*shrugs*

My parents curse like sailors, so I'm not sure why I don't. They have actually tried to bribe me into cursing. Seriously XD

I'm the opposite of most people in this thread in that I actually swear /a lot/ more around my parents then I do anyone else (even my friends).

The other day I was pissed off and telling my mom a story, and I probably managed some form of the word fuck 3 times per sentence.