Awoo.

Disney Thread

VO.SUPER

Yeah, Pooh's a great one. Honestly one of the best animated films in ages, IMO.

Anyway, something that hasn't been brought up in this topic are Disney's stage musicals. From Lion King, Newsies, and Beauty and the Beast to Tarzan, The Little Mermaid, and *groan* High School Musical, Disney Theatrical has the knack for adapting their famous films into stage shows. My favorite, however, is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBQJg-bC-YI

Mary Poppins is unique in that it not only takes inspiration from the film (and many songs from it), but it's also based on the Mary Poppins book series by P.L. Travers (the first of which inspired the movie). In addition, Disney teamed up with stage producer Cameron Mackintosh to produce what is, in my opinion, the ultimate version of the Mary Poppins story. This show and The Lion King, as well as Newsies, are the only Disney shows that remain on Broadway, and both are on tour in North America.

Edited by SonHOG

My favorite Disney film is Aladdin, by far.

A realistically flawed protagonist, well-written and amusing side characters, and a great villain all come together to make one of Disney's best. I feel it has some of Disney's better songs too, which is already saying something, with their track record of memorable music.

And again, Jafar is the best Disney villain. "Prince Abooboo," indeed.

Honorable mention goes to The Emperor's New Groove, netting a close second place for me.

I've always enjoyed stories about narcissistic jerks (who are nonetheless somewhat likable) that grow and become better people, and Kuzco plays that role nicely; I find him one of the more interesting Disney leads, because his character starts much like a typical Disney villain prior to his development.

The rest of the characters in the film all work together rather well too, and I found the whole movie to be really fun.

Edited by Egghead

Man Disney is really being tight lipped about Wreck it Ralph. At least give us a teaser or something!

Edited by Dark Energon Johnny

Man Disney is really being tight lipped about Wreck it Ralph. At least give us a teaser or something!

They've been like this since the early 2000s; maybe it's because they don't have that much faith in the film or intend to go all out near the film's release date.

Back in the 90s, Disney would have televised tours of their studios to check up on how the film was going, but I don't think they do that anymore. I guess the only way to see the progress of Wreck it Ralph would be to take an actual tour of the studio.

• 2 weeks later...

Btw, did anybody see the premiere of Tron Uprising? It's looking like an awesome show and personally I think it's better than both the movies. I just wish this would be on Disney Channel instead of Disney XD because it would really feel like a breath of fresh air from all of that teeny bopper bullshit they have on Disney Channel.

Btw, did anybody see the premiere of Tron Uprising? It's looking like an awesome show and personally I think it's better than both the movies. I just wish this would be on Disney Channel instead of Disney XD because it would really feel like a breath of fresh air from all of that teeny bopper bullshit they have on Disney Channel.

It'd do everyone good to rename "Disney Channel" something more fitting, like DisneyTeen or some shit. Disney XD, with its more appropriate cartoon:sit-com ratio, is more of a Disney Channel than the real thing's been for almost six years.

But anyway, I think of Disney as a separate entity to Disney Channel. I don't think I've seen a Disney movie I haven't enjoyed, even the "just decent" ones like Oliver & Company. I absolutely LOVE the Renaissance-era films, Aladdin in particular.

Walt Disney himself is a very fascinating person, and I'd love to see that fake "Walt" movie poster evolve into something real.

I'm a pretty big fan of a few movies, and definitely was a hug part of my childhood like many here. I love Bolt, Oliver and Company, Fox and the Hound, Aladdin and Robin Hood by the shit tons. I had quite the big obsession with the Lion King a few years back, but realistically I think only about the first 3rd of the movie was as legendary as everyone makes this film out to be. What were some others? Rescuers Down Under blew my mind as well as A Goofy Movie. Fantasia was always amazing despite being so weird, XD.

I really love old Disney stuff, but it looks like they might make a comeback in terms of quality. Bolt is pretty close to my favorite Disney movie, and I heard Tangled was great as well. Here's to Wreck It Ralph being awesome!

For the downsides though, I never really liked the Disney channel. When I was a kid, it felt like a fake Nick or CartoonNetwork to me. I can't even remember any shows really with how forgettable the stuff they put out were.

Lastly, probably like many, I've been to Disney World and it was honestly one of the greatest experiences I've ever had. I don't think I've ever felt so carefree and happy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just wanted to give this topic a little bump as it's just kinda buried here in all of these pages of Chit-Chat

When it comes to Disney, I can say it's always been a sizeable part of my childhood (well, when I was little, as I am only fourteen). The first ever Disney movie I got see (in theaters to boot) was Lilo & Stitch, and it remains to this day as one of my all-time animated films. I also got to see Treasure Planet in the coming months later, pretty much being blown away and buying a bunch of toys for it. I paid more attention to Pixar than Disney during these years (but Pixar counts as Disney now so whatevs, lawl), but I still loved them lots. I love nearly every one of their movies (especially those during the Disney Renaissance) except for a select few, by the names of The Fox and the Hound, The Black Cauldron, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, and Chicken Little. They, along with Studio Ghibli are who inspired me the most to aspire to become involved with traditional animation. Almost every Disney movie has something unique about them, whether it begin the music/songs, characters, art direction, or writing. I don't think I could personally pick a favorite, I love so many that I couldn't really choose.

After the crap they went through after their films after the Disney Renaissance (other than Lilo & Stitch) doing less than desirable box office performances and some like Brother Bear, Home on the Range getting critical derision, I'm glad they started getting back into their A-game starting with Bolt. Princess and The Frog was a great return-to-form and love letter to the Disney Renaissance, along with Tangled, along with Winnie The Pooh and Wreck-it Ralph being of stellar quality. I'm also hyped for Frozen after what Disney has started bringing us since 2008, and I look forward to their future projects. I'd even go as far to say they're my favorite animation studio next to the likes of Pixar and Studio Ghibli. In stuff other than animated movies, I also looooved going to Disney World (and still do). My favorite parks will have to be both water parks and EPCOT, because I'm a huge sci-fi and world history person, so it perfectly satisfies my needs. So yeah, I kinda love Disney.

steamb10.jpg

Keep smilin', Mickey!

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 3

No love for the more obscure films? By which I guess I mean the package films.

During WW2 Disney's studio was almost destroyed as the majority of the animators were drafted. This meant there wasn't enough man power to produce full feature films so for a while they made the best of their limited staff by producing package films that were feature length films made up of smaller, easier to make shorts.

From 42-49 they released six of these films.

Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Fun & Fancy Free, Melody Time & The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad.

The films are a bit of a mixed bag, you'll find bits you like and bits you don't but for the most part I think they're all enjoyable (can't vouch for Saludos Amigos though, it's the only one i've not seen).

For my money, Three Caballeros is one of the greatest Disney films ever made, the stories are great fun and the animation is absolutely brilliant. Of the six it's easily my favourite and you definitly need to track it down. Melody time's a lot of fun too.

also, I'm not saying you can see the whole thing on youtube, but you can totally see the whole thing on youtube

So, anybody else seen any of the package films? Favourites? Favourite segments?

The Disney fan expo, D23 is to offer sneak peeks of Disney's Frozen, and Pixar's film for 2014, The Good Dinosaur.

Next month’s exciting Disney fan expo D23 in Anaheim is shaping up to be quite a jam-packed event. It was announced that the animation presentation will give fans a look at upcoming animated movies from Disney Animation Studios, Pixar and Disneytoon Studios, including sneak peeks ofFrozen and The Good Dinosaur. Filmmakers, star talent and a “not-to-be-missed live musical performance” will also be a part of Friday’s exhibit (August 9) which begins at 10 a.m.

The expo will open with a welcome from Disney CEO Bob Iger followed by an animation presentation led by Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter and a live-action presentation hosted by Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn the next day, Aug. 10. Horn will also present highlights from the studio’s live-action slate, including the Tom Hanks-starrer Saving Mr. Banks, George Clooney’s Tomorrowland and Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World, beginning at 10:30 a.m.

Both presentations will feature exclusive clips, behind-the-scenes footage, discussions with filmmakers and surprise celeb appearances.

For more info, visit www.D23.com.

Edited by Felix

I'm sure I share sediments with many people here when I say that Disney was my childhood - I was practically raised on it. I have fond memories of watching the movies for hours on end, switching on Disney Channel or Toon Disney to watch their cartoon series and shorts, and I've been to Disney World many times in my life. And even today I still have a huge fondness for anything Disney - it's pretty much my favorite animation studio.

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP

Ok so it appears that in 2018, Ron Clements and John Musker are returning to do a film titles Moana. Apparently it's gonna be about a Polynesian girl having an adventure in her island home and it's gonna use the Paperman style of animation. This is the film in Disney's future line up of animated films that has me the most excited other than Zootopia.

• Thumbs Up 4

Disney rocks.. was there yesterday. I'm from the area.

I've been to hong kong disney and orlando disney, and the hong kong disney is pretty sweet

• 2 weeks later...

I always have a soft spot for Disney, whether that be their big blockbuster films or their animated cartoons. My personal favourite is The Lion King as it has such a good story,songs and characters. I really enjoyed Wreck It Ralph and wouldn't mind a sequel (as long as it goes into cinemas!!). Another reason I like Disney is their music, be that Hakuna Matata, Friend Like Me or Colours of the Wind, there are so many classics . The cartoons are enjoyable such as Ducktales, Talespin, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Timon and Pumbaa, they just put a big smile on your face. If I had one complaint, don't make sequels of your best work and put it straight onto DVD, they just don't stack up against the blockbusters on the big screen. Finally I have been to Disney in Orlando and Anaheim and they are both really enjoyable for both young and old

• 1 month later...

BUMP.

Okay, there has been this upcoming Disney film that has had my interest for a while called Moana. Not much is known about other than that it's set in Polynesia and it is Directed by Ron Clements and John Musker (who are well known for directing Princess and the Frog and The Little Mermaid). What made me so interested in this film was that it was rumored to have a Paperman Style animation, but unfortunately the rumor has been debunked recently:

For Musker, working in pre-production with Clements on Moana (with guidance from Lasseter) is a continuation of the sincerity and heart that they learned from the Nine Old Men. However, he confirmed that it's far too early to apply the Paperman hybrid technique to a feature. The Meander digital in-betweening interface still has a host of production issues (including color) that need to be perfected. 

Looks like we'll still be seeing CG films for quite a while guys.

Edited by Johnny the Death Bringer

Why did disney bother to create the paperman engine if they're neer gonna use it? Everybody I've heard talk about it absolutely loved the style and have really hoped to see it used on a feature and yet....nothing....

Why did disney bother to create the paperman engine if they're neer gonna use it? Everybody I've heard talk about it absolutely loved the style and have really hoped to see it used on a feature and yet....nothing....

Didn't you read that? It still has production issues like color, which explains why Paperman was colorless. Let's just wait till it's perfected.

• Thumbs Up 1

Princess and the Frog, and Winnie the Pooh blew it because they were the films Disney fans wanted, but not what we needed. They were marketed against Avatar, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and Harry Potter, and couldn't even compete in terms of box office power. And the reputation of 2D Disney animation had already been tarnished in the average Joe's eyes thanks to Disney sequels ruining the brand, and the Disney stereotype that ran rampant in the late 90s and 2000s.

Tangled proved that people may have wanted to see princess films again, but they had to be lied to in many ways. And we'll see how Frozen does with that too.

That and Bob Igor is an imbecile who is as blinded as Michael Eisner and Jeffery Katzenburg.

----

Honestly, while I love Paperman animation, it just doesn't look 2D enough to me. It still looks 3D enough to just not be the same, but hey it's getting there. I could definitely work with it, since it's like transferring 2D into a 3D model, but it needs refining before I jump fully on board.

That's just the thing I find with 3D animation; even the cel shaded animation. 3D animators love to tout how it looks 2D and how 2D is unnecessary, and I just can't stand that attitude from them. But ah well, I'm getting off topic. :P

• 1 month later...

Was going to post this in the new 2D Mickey Mouse shorts thread, but I don't think they fit that category.

An Eric Goldberg traditionally-animated commercial with Mickey and Donald, featuring "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party" at Walt Disney World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2xHuGSzKrc&feature=player_embedded

• Thumbs Up 4

• 3 weeks later...
tumblr_mxo9ebQRXP1qz8i3wo1_1280.png

Disney released the official logo for Moana. Apparently, the film's said to use a new painterly style of CG, which I'm rather looking forward to. The story's set around Polynesian culture, which can turn out to be a rather interesting turn for Disney, It would be nice to see how they'd portray a foreign culture like this (though to be fair they did it with Lilo & Stitch first).

The fact that John Musker and Ron Clements, two of my favorite directors at Disney are directing (they previously directed The Great Mouse Detective, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules, Treasure Planet, and The Princess and the Frog) makes me even more excited. It's not set for release until 2018, which is gonna make this a looong wait. 8C

They did release this concept art, though:

tumblr_mudep6GD7L1s5ptf3o1_1280.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

The fact that it's going to be a movie set within Polynesian culture had me hooked from the beginning. Can't wait for more info.