Awoo.

Disney Thread

VO.SUPER

The news about Wreck it Ralph has got me pumped up! Funny it be announced after my trip to Disney... I watched a parade where "When can I see you again" was the main song that was playing throughout, and yet there was nothing related to Wreck it Ralph. it was at this point when I began thinking "Yeah, we're not seeing a sequel to Wreck-it Ralph are we?"

And surprise surprise! I come home to Wreck it Ralph 2 being announced. I hope the writers get to do what they've been planning, such as console games, meeting modern versions of Ralph and Felix, and of course, Mario with a possibly big role!

As for the Genie film... why? Robin Williams is the genie. I thought the genie from the Aladdin TV series was a bit more obnoxious than funny, probably because Dan Canastetalleta's (sp?) deliveries were not as funny as Robin williams. Not to mention, I don't like it when characters try to imitate the character of the Genie altogether. It's one of the reasons why I do not find Discord funny in the slightest.

Yeah, I don't have much hope for the latter.

This happened a couple of days ago, but the Magic of Disney Animation at Walt Disney World's Hollywood Studios in Florida has officially closed its doors on 12 July.

I remember going there in 2000 back when it was a working studio! It was an off day when we went which meant that there wasn't anyone working at their tables, but we could see the working space behind a big window. I remember seeing posters on the walls for Kingdom of the Sun aka The Emperor's New Groove and my fondest memory is seeing a video about animation starring Walter Cronkite and Robin Williams. Amazing to think that when I first saw this, the video itself (which is a lot of fun!) was already more than a decade old! I have heard that after the studio closed down when Brother Bear was completed, it was never as good as it was back when it was an actual working studio so I'm glad I got to see it in its heyday. Still a shame they had to close it down though.

Here's the video I mentioned earlier. Ahhh, so good to see it again.

The Wreck-It Ralph 2 hype! I'm excited to see what else they can come up with here, the first film is one of my favorites everywhere and more of that would be wonderful. It would be pretty neat if Sonic got a bigger role, but I was actually totally okay with them focusing more on their own characters too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

As for the Genie film..egh. The timing is bad, the concept is bad, this live action series of films don't seem impressive at all so I really don't care about this happening at all. I don't see myself going out of my way to watch it, just like how I've pretty much avoided all the other ones too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys remember the news of Ducktales getting a reboot in 2017? Well now it appears that Kim Possible and Darkwing Duck may also get in on the action.

TV animation is exploding right now, with production either set to commence or already underway on a number of shows that are reboots or follow-ups to familiar properties. Disney TV Animation is no different, with Lion Guard set for Disney Junior, Tangled for Disney Channel, and of course Ducktales for Disney XD. But if the words of a noted Disney buff are true, than Disney might not stop there and they may have already made up their mind in regards to the animation style of the new Ducktales.

Jim Hill, host of the Disney Dish with Jim Hill podcast, was recently featured as a guest on another Disney-based podcast: The Daily Disney Blog Podcast. He spends the bulk of the podcast talking about what might be happening with the theme parks as space gets made for new attractions, but he also peppered in some updates on what’s going with Disney TVA.

With Ducktales, Jim Hill reportedly tells us that the reboot will be CG-animated. This isn’t exactly official confirmation, but it would seem as if the decision for the show to be CG was made internally and decisively. He also mentions that top-tier talent from other shows (Batman: The Animated Series in particular) are being brought in to steer the creative direction of the new Ducktales.

But that’s not all. If Jim’s word is to be believed, Disney has a ‘shortlist’ of properties that they want to revisit if the new Ducktalespans out. On that list is a CG-animated Kim Possible and even Darkwing Duck, a cult favorite that will soon return as a new comic book series.

In the case of Kim Possible, creators Bob Schooley and Mark McCorkle had actually pitched the idea of a CG-animated reboot to Disney a few times, even going so far as to get Chris Bailey (who directed the pilot) to do a CG-animated ‘proof of concept’ that served as a reworking of the original pilot.

Overall, at least as far as Jim is concerned, Darkwing Duck and Kim Possible are the hopefuls. Then, it goes from there to the high-reaching long shots (Phineas and Ferb).

Again, this is NOT the official word on this, so take everything with a fistfull of salt until we are given clarification.

Listen to the podcast episode on Stitcher. The Ducktales reboot will arrive in 2017 on Disney XD.

Source: http://www.rotoscopers.com/2015/08/03/jim-hill-ducktales-reboot-is-cg-animated-darkwing-duck-and-kim-possible-reboots-could-follow/

I'm excited for Darkwing Duck but I'm not so sure about Kim Possible getting rebooted.

That would be cooled, loved to watch Kim Possible with my sisters growing up, and it always had a good balance of action and humor

I think both would be awesome. Darkwing Duck was the Hero to me when I was a kid. I wanted to be him! And Kim Possible was fun, action packed, and it was nice seeing a female lead in such a role.

Please... no. I know they said there's no final word yet but plleeeeaaasseeee don't make Ducktales CGI. I can't imagine what it would look like. And the fact that Kim Possible and Darkwing Duck might get a CGI reboot too.. no. Just no.

I hope the first article we read that mentioned the Ducktales reboot was the final word on it, since they said it'd be traditionally animated. It just wouldn't make sense as to why Disney would go that route. Wander Over Yonder and Gravity Falls, their 2 current cartoons are hand drawn and are really successful. So I can't see anyone thinking it's a smart idea to reboot classic shows in CGI. They were remembered a certain way, with a certain style in mind. If they don't preserve that style, they'll just drive away their audience. It'll be like that new Inspector Gadget cartoon which no one is talking about, by the way.

And if I'm not mistaken, Disney has a history with cartoons. All of their shows are 2D. Some flash animated, though most of them hand drawn. I can't recall a single CGI one. If they had one, well, it probably wasn't memorable. 

Though, actually, if and I mean if they go with CGI, hopefully it means background or lighting and effects. I could see it being a hybrid similar to how the Ducktales Remastered game was. But seriously.. thinking about it, the show could look beautiful as a CGI/hand drawn hybrid. Here's hoping for the best. Disney knows how popular Ducktales is. They know the legacy their shows carry. I can only imagine them being super careful with this property and trying their hardest to create a quality show. A pilot's probably in the works as we speak. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Please... no. I know they said there's no final word yet but plleeeeaaasseeee don't make Ducktales CGI. I can't imagine what it would look like. And the fact that Kim Possible and Darkwing Duck might get a CGI reboot too.. no. Just no.

I hope the first article we read that mentioned the Ducktales reboot was the final word on it, since they said it'd be traditionally animated. It just wouldn't make sense as to why Disney would go that route. Wander Over Yonder and Gravity Falls, their 2 current cartoons are hand drawn and are really successful. So I can't see anyone thinking it's a smart idea to reboot classic shows in CGI. They were remembered a certain way, with a certain style in mind. If they don't preserve that style, they'll just drive away their audience. It'll be like that new Inspector Gadget cartoon which no one is talking about, by the way.

And if I'm not mistaken, Disney has a history with cartoons. All of their shows are 2D. Some flash animated, though most of them hand drawn. I can't recall a single CGI one. If they had one, well, it probably wasn't memorable. 

Though, actually, if and I mean if they go with CGI, hopefully it means background or lighting and effects. I could see it being a hybrid similar to how the Ducktales Remastered game was. But seriously.. thinking about it, the show could look beautiful as a CGI/hand drawn hybrid. Here's hoping for the best. Disney knows how popular Ducktales is. They know the legacy their shows carry. I can only imagine them being super careful with this property and trying their hardest to create a quality show. A pilot's probably in the works as we speak. 

Tron Uprising was really good, but yeah, most are outsourced/licensed CGI wise

Tron Uprising was really good, but yeah, most are outsourced/licensed CGI wise

Yeah, though the only ones I can remember outside Tron Uprising is Get Ed on Jetix and Slugterra on Disney XD. But Slugterra is Canadian, not in-house. So yeah. Maybe Disney XD has some more CGI shows, but I don't really watch the channel very often. Though they are probably outsourced like you said. 

Edited by ElectricAngel

I don't get why Kim Possible would get a reboot... especially so soon. I mean, at least Darkwing Duck and Ducktales ended in the early 90's. They've both been over for about 25 years now (Ducktales is, and Darkwing Duck will soon).

Kim Possible only ended in 2007. It hasn't even been 10 years yet. I mean, the show was great and all, but why does it need a reboot?

Now, I don't have too much against the live action remakes of Disney classics. I really like the idea for most of them. However, there are some that simply wouldn't capture the magic in live action. Namely, Dumbo. What?! How can you possibly create a live action remake of a movie based on real animals?

Kim Possible only ended in 2007. It hasn't even been 10 years yet. I mean, the show was great and all, but why does it need a reboot?

These are just considerations. You can see why they'd want to do a reboot though. In terms of Disney shows produced in the 2000s, Kim Possible is the most popular and well known one. Ask anyone you know who likes Disney if they know Kim Possible. They will respond positively. It's practically a modern Disney classic. If they ever go through with it, I can only see it after at least another 5 years.

Now, I don't have too much against the live action remakes of Disney classics. I really like the idea for most of them. However, there are some that simply wouldn't capture the magic in live action. Namely, Dumbo. What?! How can you possibly create a live action remake of a movie based on real animals?

They'd most likely have the animals in CGI. Like with that live action Cinderella movie. Because you know, they worked soooo well. >_> I really do question why Disney decides to make stuff like this. Though, since there's no official word on it yet, I'm not thinking much about it. A lot of things get planned and cancelled. 

These are just considerations. You can see why they'd want to do a reboot though. In terms of Disney shows produced in the 2000s, Kim Possible is the most popular and well known one. Ask anyone you know who likes Disney if they know Kim Possible. They will respond positively. It's practically a modern Disney classic. If they ever go through with it, I can only see it after at least another 5 years.

They'd most likely have the animals in CGI. Like with that live action Cinderella movie. Because you know, they worked soooo well. >_> I really do question why Disney decides to make stuff like this. Though, since there's no official word on it yet, I'm not thinking much about it. A lot of things get planned and cancelled. 

It is true that they would likely have the animals in CGI. The thing I'm looking at is: at least in Cinderella, the talking mice were the ONLY animals that really were personalized and talked. Most of the characters, including the main characters, are human (or humanoid at least).

In Dumbo, the main characters are a baby elephant and an anthro mouse. And there's far more active animal based characters in this movie as well, with the human characters barely doing anything other than setting up the plot at the start, while the rest is all about Dumbo.

EDIT: As for Kim Possible, I really did like the show, I'm just iffy on them rebooting it so soon. Hell, they might as well just make a Live Action Kim Possible movie at that rate lol.

Edited by JaidynReiman

Ahsem. Disney...

Why isn't Gargoyles on your shortlist of considerations? :| After the comics got pulled, I think that show is very deserving of a continuation to make up for the crap that was the Goliath Chronicles.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ahsem. Disney...

Why isn't Gargoyles on your shortlist of considerations? :| After the comics got pulled, I think that show is very deserving of a continuation to make up for the crap that was the Goliath Chronicles.

Because studios love screwing over Greg Weisman?

CGI for Ducktales..? Aaaw, nooo >:

I don't hate CGI, it can look great when utilized well, but...just...look at this.

(Minor Gravity Falls Location Spoilers, I guess, doesn't reveal anything about the plot though)

tumblr_nrsr8c8TJU1tdj314o2_1280.png

tumblr_nrhywwUx3X1tdj314o4_1280.png

Those aren't some high quality concept arts, that art is appearing just like that in the actual show. Look at them. Just imagine Ducktales looking like that, just with even bigger, grander, more adventurous settings, with Locations from all over the world, lucious ice worlds, brimming jungles, Mayan temples, the list goes on. That's how I imagined the new Ducktales to look like. Simply thinking about the potential of such an artstyle applied to the Ducktales world makes me drool.

That doesn't mean that a CGI Version would necessarily look bad, of course, but yeah, I'd vastly prefer a handdrawn approach like this, and I hope they stick to it.

• 2 weeks later...

D23 happened today. We got a look at some of their upcoming projects.

First, Moana.

140290_RHS_38451.jpg

140290_RHS_38471.jpg

140290_RHS_38531.jpg

140290_RHS_38581.jpg

140290_RHS_3891.jpg

We got a look at her design. The 2D art gives me a Lilo and Stitch vibe. I like it.

CMZ64iZUsAAdQpT.jpg

Disney also announced a Jack and the Beanstalk adaptation. Surprised it took this long. 

Like we mentions, Gigantic is loosely based off the classic Jack and the Beanstalk story. Similar to Frozenand The Snow Queen and Tangled and Rapunzel, Disney gave its own twist to the story and reimagined it with its incredibly talented artists. Today we learned some new story details about the adaptation that will delight Disney fans for sure. The film tells the story of Jack as he a discovers a world of giants hidden within the clouds. Jack meets up in the sky with an 11-year-old gigantic little girl named Ima, who is 60 feet tall and has a super-sized personality. He agrees to help her find her way home and together they enroll on an adventure of a lifetime.

The film is set in Spain during the Age of Exploration, the creative team chose for this location and period of time because in this time period people went on exploration trips to find new lands, similar to Jack’s exploration trip into the giant world. According to the films director, Jack will not simply find one big castle and one big giant walking around in the sky, but instead he finds a whole new world up in the sky. The first Giant he will meet is the 11-year-old Ima, who thinks Jack is a toy at first.

The film will feature music from the Oscar®-winning songwriter duo Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, who also wrote the music for Disney’s smash hit Frozen. During the presentation, one song from the movie, I Love My Little Man, in which Ima plays with Jack still thinking he’s a doll, was previewed at the panel. While the song was well received by the attending audience, it was supposedly not as catchy and fun as Frozen‘s Let it Go.

I like the sound of the premise and the art, so I'm actually pretty excited for this. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Hm. So, between the Polynesian girl, and the Spaniard boy, and the Mexican kid Pixar's working on, and the Indian kid Pixar's working on...me thinks the people who were sure Lasseter was lying about diversity were wrong.

Anyway, loving Moana's look (as I was expecting to. Can't wait to see how she's so totally a Rapunzel clone for reals really), and liking the idea for Gigantic. Just please for the love of all things good don't make Ima a princess.

Moana is gonna be one of my favorite Disney films I can already tell. I also like the premise of Gigantic.

Oh my god. OH. MY. GOD.

That poster. I... I don't know what to say. I'm so speechless right now. This is absolutely breathtaking. I can't wait for this to come out. So freaking hyped.

OH MY GOD

That poster looks insanely beautiful. Jungle Book is one of my favorite Disney films, so I'm curious as to how they'll do with this remake. Hopefully a trailer will be released soon, I'm excited!

Edited by Felix

First, Moana. It looks interesting, it gives me a Brother Bear meets Pocahantis feel, with a small dash of Brave.

Second, The Jungle Book. That poster looks really good! I don't know if I'm gonna see this when it comes out though, I should probably wait for a trailer though.

Third, Finding Dory. Sooo, Dory teams up with a Squid, huh? OK.

Third, Finding Dory. Sooo, Dory teams up with a Squid, huh? OK.

It's an octopus./Nitpicking.

Its name is Hank.