Awoo.

Disney Thread

VO.SUPER

Does anyone know if we'll be getting videos of the panels anytime soon? I'm interested on that one they had with the making of Get a Horse. No matter how many behind the scenes videos I watch on it, I still love hearing about how it was made. 

Edit: Never mind. It appears the YouTube channel Inside the Magic has tons of coverage on D23! 

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 1

D23 happened today. We got a look at some of their upcoming projects.

First, Moana.

140290_RHS_38451.jpg

140290_RHS_38471.jpg

140290_RHS_38531.jpg

140290_RHS_38581.jpg

140290_RHS_3891.jpg

We got a look at her design. The 2D art gives me a Lilo and Stitch vibe. I like it.

CMZ64iZUsAAdQpT.jpg

Disney also announced a Jack and the Beanstalk adaptation. Surprised it took this long. 

I like the sound of the premise and the art, so I'm actually pretty excited for this. 

You missed one for Moana, we also got a look at the Rock's character... who has hair XD
moana-concept-d23-7.jpg

• 1 month later...

Gravity Falls. Star vs the Forces of Evil. Wander Over Yonder. Star Wars Rebels. Pickle and Peanut.

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things is utter garbage that should be toss into the incinerator. Did you guess it yet?

My friends, I'm here to talk about Pickle and Peanut. An awful show that fits along side and has the same quality as the crap you see on modern Nickelodeon like Sanjay and Craig and Breadwinners. I've seen a couple episodes and it is so friggin' jarring how cruddy it is compared to the other shows mentioned. Almost makes me want to marathon a day's worth of TTG! Here's an Animated Atrocities to explain how bad it is:

Disney, please, for the sake of the children, cancel it.

What the heck? Did Disney actually make that? I mean.. I recall seeing an image a week ago but.. wow. It's mind blowing how this was even made, honestly. Go check the requirements you need to work at Disney. If you presented them something of this quality, they'd never hire you. And if this idea was presented, you'd probably be fired. Who was in charge when they greenlit this? Seriously! Ugh, I hope Disney doesn't enter another horrible era of cartoons. Phineas and Ferb ended, and Gravity Falls is ending soon. We'll only have Star vs. the Forces of Evil and Wander Over Yonder as their flagship animated shows. And.. then they come up with this?? Really?  

What confuses me more is how the creator made Fish Hooks, Almost Naked Animals, and The 7D. None of those were atrocious. Almost Naked Animals was just stupid, and Fish Hooks and The 7D are pretty harmless in my opinion. So what made him want to make something like this? 

*sigh* Well, it's amazing how this went over my head, as it's been playing for almost a month now. I guess Disney isn't too proud of this? I haven't seen any promotions for it, and it's tanking in ratings. Hopefully they'll silently cancel it like they did with a few other unsuccessful shows in the past. Gosh though, it still boggles my mind that it was somehow made. I mean if it was Nickelodeon I wouldn't be surprised. But Disney? Disney?!

Oh, and this show looks like it's going to be even more dated than Quack Pack. And that in itself is quite the accomplishment. Nothing you should be proud of, though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The creators said ideally they'd like 3. Disney hasn't renewed it yet, and the way the story is shaping up, it seems to be building up to a finale. 

Edit: New York Comic Con is happening as we speak. Do we know if there's a Disney Television Animation or Gravity Falls panel there? We might hear something about the show's status there. 

Edited by ElectricAngel

Gravity Falls. Star vs the Forces of Evil. Wander Over Yonder. Star Wars Rebels. Pickle and Peanut.

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things is utter garbage that should be toss into the incinerator. Did you guess it yet?

My friends, I'm here to talk about Pickle and Peanut. An awful show that fits along side and has the same quality as the crap you see on modern Nickelodeon like Sanjay and Craig and Breadwinners. I've seen a couple episodes and it is so friggin' jarring how cruddy it is compared to the other shows mentioned. Almost makes me want to marathon a day's worth of TTG! Here's an Animated Atrocities to explain how bad it is:

Disney, please, for the sake of the children, cancel it.

Yech.... Usually I think Mr. Enter tends to be pretty over dramatic with some of his reviews, but just seeing that really sums up everything that I thought this show would be like. I didn't think it looked good from the promotional material, and seeing this doesn't really change my view on it. Overall pretty much Disney's Breadwinners (Why also you want to make a show like Breadwinners?)

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, didn't one of the voice actors of the main characters call the critics "Shit-eating trolls" or something like that? 

Literally no one is talking about this. Why? ;-;

To celebrate Fantasia's 75th anniversary, Disney will be re-releasing the film in cinemas across the USA starting November 8th.

If any SSMB member living in the USA hasn't seen this movie yet, book your tickets now! I watched this film for the first time not long ago, and I would die to see it in cinemas. I'm sure fans of Fantasia have probably already heard of this and booked tickets, so yeah. I hope it gets a re-release overseas too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

SO I've been in a very Disney mood lately and wanted to spark some discussion in SSMB. Perhaps I should just join a Disney forum but.. eh.

I don't know if anyone's heard, but Walt Disney Records is releasing a new album in 2 days called We Love Disney, and it's this really cool compilation album featuring covers of Disney songs from modern artists. It's going to be available digitally, on CD, and on vinyl. Interesting how Disney is starting to release their soundtracks on vinyl again. Now, you can check out a few of their songs on YouTube, such as Friend Like Me (by NE-YO).

It's a pretty nice version. I've never heard of NE-YO or been exposed to any of his songs so I don't know if it's out of style for him to do stuff like this, but it's pretty cool.

Also, to further move the discussion, to all Disney fans, what film or cartoon made you into a Disney fan? And for aspiring artists and animators, what film or cartoon made you want to pursue in the career? For me, I'd say it was Beauty and the Beast. I've always loved the movie and there was a VHS I had with a ton of behind the scenes material on how the film was made and it just blew my mind how everything was done by hand and how all those little drawings came together to create a flowing image. To this day, pencil tests just mesmerize me. It's truly magical. And there was also a PC game I was obsessed with called Disney Magic Artist Studio. I spent hours drawing the silliest things and playing around with the tools, and it even had a tutorial on how to make a basic animation and how to draw Mickey and the gang. I eventually even got the Deluxe version, but I can't recall much of a difference aside fancier graphics and maybe a few more tools. So that's my story. Ever since I was a wee lad I pretty much was drawing all the time and looking up to Disney as my inspiration, and to this day they continue to still inspire me. 

Edited by ElectricAngel

Well Ne-Yo sang the song from The Princess and the Frog called Best Thing I Never Knew I Needed, or something around those lines, so he's no stranger to doing music with Disney at least.

• Thumbs Up 2

Noth related to what was said above about Ne-Yo, but I am currently watching Something Wicked This Way Comes on DVD, one of their films from 1983 with a screenplay written by Ray Bradbury based on his novel of the same name.

It's really dark as far as both Disney and Bradbury can go, but what really seals the deal is Jonathan Pryce's performance as Mr. Dark, truly one of the most vile villains to ever grace Disney.  And Pryce may be familiar to you Whovians, since he portrayed the Master in one of the first stories written by Moffat for the series.

Another lost Oswald cartoon was found! :D 

A cartoon known as "Sleigh Bells", which originally was released in 1928 has been found by a researcher at the British Film Institute! If anyone's in London, you can see the short this holiday as part of "It's a Disney Christmas: Seasonal Shorts" screening. Not sure when or even where it's happening, but details should come out in the following weeks. Here are some snippets from articles I found.

Johnson described "Sleigh Bells" as "the holy grail of Disney films," being the penultimate film before the split with Universal.

"Sleigh Bells" has been preserved in the BFI National Archive since the 1980s, after a film company went bankrupt and gave up their archive. However, it was not until recently that a BFI researcher "re-discovered" it.

"The restoration of this film will introduce many audiences to Disney's work in the silent period -- it clearly demonstrates the vitality and imagination of his animation at a key point in his early career," Baker added.

Sources: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/04/europe/oswald-rabbit-film-rediscovered/

http://uproxx.com/movies/2015/11/lost-disney-film-found/

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=itsadisneychristmasseasonalshorts

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I wasn't expecting this so soon. I mean, I heard about it a few weeks ago from this Disney fan I know who saw it leaked on Naver buuuut I didn't believe it. Despite the Diamond Edition line still.. (not?) done, a new collection arises! I could've sword Pinocchio Diamond Edition was supposed to come out sometime next year, but with no official announcement, er.. *shrugs* This new collection looks pretty sweet though!

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the world’s first full-length animated film, will receive a special re-release as part of a new video line from Walt Disney Home Entertainment. Snow White will be the first entry in the Walt Disney Signature Collection, expected to be a continuing tradition spotlight the studio’s finest animated features. It will arrive to digital HD on January 19 before landing on Blu-ray February 2.

Snow-White1-877x1024.jpg

This debut installment in the Signature Collection contains several new bonus features in addition to extras carried over from previous Snow White releases. The newcomers, which Disney has yet to give descriptions for, include:

• In Walt’s World
  • Iconography
  • A new episode in the recurring @DisneyAnimation series
  • The Fairest Facts of Them All
  • Snow White in Seventy Seconds
  • Disney’s First Feature

To welcome the film’s return from the fabled Disney vault, ABC will air the all-new Behind the Magic: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs on Sunday, December 13, at 8 p.m. Narrated by Ginnifer Goodwin (who plays Snow White on ABC’s Once Upon a Time), the one-hour special will spotlight appearances by John Lasseter, Richard Sherman, Jennifer Lee, Chris Buck, and more as viewers get a backstage peek behind the making of Disney’s first movie. This continues the surprising but wonderful recent trend of ABC producing new backstage specials taking audiences backstage of some of animation’s most beloved titles, following in the footsteps of last year’s Frozen special and this month’s Charlie Brown 50th anniversary and Toy Story 20th anniversary (airing December 10).

Source: http://www.rotoscopers.com/2015/12/01/walt-disney-signature-collection-launches-with-snow-white-re-release-tv-special/ 

Funnily enough, this gets announced as soon as I start debating whether or not to start collecting the Diamond Edition releases. I'm very tempted to start importing this, as if things go the way they look like they will go for me, by the time the second Signature Edition comes out, I'll be in America, making it easier for me to buy them. I must admit, in terms of home releases, America seems to get the best. Nice slipcovers, awesome bonus features. The only thing that makes me debate whether to get them or not is the slightly more expensive price point (at least for the Diamond Editions) and the lack of multiple language tracks. So.. hmm I might hold out a bit more to decide whether or not to buy it. It's so tempting though. @_@

What do you guys think? Are you excited for the Signature Collection? I'm hoping Disney decides to release every film in chronological order with this collection, as opposed to the most popular ones. Probably won't happen though. :/ However, it does feel like this might be the ultimate edition for some time to come. The fact that the movies are now getting digital releases, it kind of defeats the purpose of the "Disney Vault" business practice Disney has in America.