Awoo.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 Reviews

BlazingTales

"Can Sonic stay in 2D forever?"

OH, HERE WE GO! Here comes the 3D games bashing parade, using mainly Sonic 06 as their defence to stop SEGA from making more 3D Sonic games. That kind of mentality leads to Mega Man 9, and I don't want Sonic going that route.

Sonic Colours and Generations (HD) laughs at Dimps recent projects! I like Sonic 4, but I know better games when I see it. I would rather have a new 3D Sonic game (yeah, I can't believe Sonic fans actually prefer the 3D Sonic games now tongue.png)

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 8

I disagree with what Sterling said about the music. That's all I can say until I play the game. Regardless of his opinion, the review was a boring read, though.

Just glanced over it quickly, but:

- They think it controls better than E1 (I'm guessing they mean physics here)

- They say the "times of rolling being the fastest" are over and that it only really works with the team combo.

- They like Sonic and Tails' new animations

The Pros and cons:

• Tails is usable at anytime, anywhere
  • Co-op
  • Improved graphics
  • Special attacks
  • Challenging, diverse levels

• No Versus mode
    • Music can be annoying after a while

If I missed anything, I'm sure Thigolf will say something.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of OXM US...Could it be that they didn't make a review of Episode I? I looked for one to compare the scores of both episodes but I had no luck...

You guys think there will be any hope for an Episode 3?

The irony is that as much as I'm disgusted by Sonic 4 and what it failed to do, I kinda DO wanna see its progression and addition of Knuckles in the next Episode.

You guys think there will be any hope for an Episode 3?

The irony is that as much as I'm disgusted by Sonic 4 and what it failed to do, I kinda DO wanna see its progression and addition of Knuckles in the next Episode.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic 4: Episode 3.

Now introducing a new playable character to the Sonic 4 branch; Amy Rose! Because you all loved the CD port so much, you wanted this more than playable Knuckles, right?

• Thumbs Up 3

Jim Sterling is not only offensive to look at (go for a jog for gods sake!) but his reviews are offensive to read.

I've read it, he makes some valid points about the game's negative aspects, but gives it a 5!? A 7 I could understand after all that. But a 5 is just bullshit.

And yeah, I'm back to being pissed off at SEGA for sending this hack a F4F statue.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes, because THEY'RE SONIC HEROES!

SonicHeroesWallpaper21024.jpg

You know, they should just rename Sonic 4 Episode III.

They should just call it Sonic Heroes 2D: Episode I. (Speaking of which, I would buy that...)

Edited by Winston

Would they REALLY be dumb enough to do to Knuckles what they did to Tails?

Considering that in Generations they turned all of Sonic's friends into Wisps in some of the missions and that they actually thought it was a good idea to bring back Tails as a mandatory co-op partner in the first place, I'd say yes. Besides, Dimps wouldn't have to be forced to come up with different, harder paths of level design for Knuckles if he's regulated down to the gardening tool he was in Generations. The hardest effort Dimps would have to agonize over is whether a specific area of level design needs a mandatory blocked path that you have to use Knuckles to destroy, a bottomless pit you have to use Knuckles to glide across, or needs more dash panels/springs/HA Bubbles chains.

Nobody answer that.

Sorry.

You know, they should just rename Sonic 4 Episode III.

They should just call it Sonic Heroes 2D: Episode I. (Speaking of which, I would buy that...)

Well, Sky Fortress does look more like a 2D Egg Fleet than a modern Wing Fortress...

Edited by Madame Amano

*Poker Face*

EDIT: I read Jim's review, and oh my god it actually makes sense, and is well written, brave Jim. But yeah, I agree with all of this points; yes the game definitely has improved over Episode I, but that's not saying much given how bad Episode I was, and even then its still mediocre. To use Indigo's grade analogy, its like getting a D- on your first test, study only the bare minimum and scrounge up a C, yeah its an improvement, but not exactly a major one.

Edited by The Batman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Called out Jim on twitter and one of his Destructoid buddies got on my back about how I didn't play Ep2 yet and that my opinion is invalid.

Bullshit. I've played Ep1, I gave it an 8/10, same as Jim did. I openly admitted that after seeing Generations classic sections and seeing what Episode 2 promises, that I'd probably drop Ep1 to a 7/10 (for consoles, on iOS I'd keep it at an 8 as it is one of the stronger platformers on the iOS).

So with that, and all the previews I've read, and all the early impressions from the Steam leak, and the interviews with Ken, I can very safely and assuredly say that Ep2 looks better than Ep1. I won't rate it til I play it, but I'm certain it is not a 5/10 game. 8/10? Maybe. 7/10 for those with opinions similar to Jim's review? Probably. Next week we'll know for sure, but like I said, I'm certain that those guesses are spot on.

• Thumbs Up 3

That's not gonna fly with Knuckles, Tails is Sonic's SIDEKICK. Sure it was in Advance 3, but that whole game was based off of partners. Would they REALLY be dumb enough to do to Knuckles what they did to Tails?

They already have. I think SEGA even called Knuckles Sonic's sidekick during the time around Sonic 06.

Well, mon, considering that they referred to Knuckles as Sonic's sidekick during the whole kerfluffle with Sonic '06 and with the way they've been handling the supporting cast lately... eh, it's a pretty good possibility.

Edited by Komodin

To be honest, the incoming reviews do nothing for me since a majority of the peeps here have played it on Steam and shared their thoughts weeks back. Reading positive "impressions" (basically reviews) from members here who disliked Episode 1 was enough for me. If they hated Ep1 and liked Ep2, then I as somebody who liked Ep1 will surely like Ep2. Jim is just an oddity. Didn't he want Sonic to control like a car and be in the first person?

Jim is just an oddity. Didn't he want Sonic to control like a car and be in the first person?

Is that really an unreasonable opinion to have? I'd beg to differ. I know a lot of people who find that an exciting prospect, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTH9pvXS3U, a game I'd like to consider the best 3D Sonic game that isn't a Sonic game.

I'm sort of halfway about this. While I agree with Carbo's comment regarding Super Mario 64 as an example, Sonic 4 Ep 1 is not even half a decade old. It's completely fair to judge it by the same standards that we judge Ep 2, and in that regard, not so much a score of 5 in particular, but a score LOWER than Ep 1's in general is totally unfathomable.

Maybe 7 I could get behind. A 1 point deduction is a reasonable score for "this game improved some stuff but everything else is still unfixed", but a deduction of 3 points for only managing to be a little bit better than the previous game is just... blah.

Though to be fair it doesn't help that he marked Ep1 completely ridiculously to begin with so any score higher than 8 would have been stupid also.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm sort of halfway about this. While I agree with Carbo's comment regarding Super Mario 64 as an example, Sonic 4 Ep 1 is not even half a decade old. It's completely fair to judge it by the same standards that we judge Ep 2, and in that regard, not so much a score of 5 in particular, but a score LOWER than Ep 1's in general is totally unfathomable.

Now, let's not put words in my mouth. I never once contended the point that S4E2 should be compared to S4E1, after all, that'd just be plain silly. What I am contending is the point that the test analogy is some exact science, because it's not. A sequel improving on fundamentals but being worse is not unheard of. Star Wars Force Unleashed is a good example; the sequel improved some mechanics but completely molested every design and set piece offered, and it was only released a couple of years after the first one. If you're going to argue that S4E2 applies to this so called test analogy, the only factual opinions you gain from this is that the physics are "better". If you're talking about the entire experience, you'd be claiming that the game being better is a "fact". Which it isn't. A game isn't a sheet of factual questions.

And yes, S4E2 is in many mechanical ways an improvement. Hell, he even said that was a plus. But what does that ultimately do to affect the game that's designed around them? Most of his criticisms here are pretty damn valid. Forgettable level designs, too much focus on silly gimmicks, way too many water segments and bosses that drag on for too long. These are all subjective opinions and quite frankly I don't see why they should be dismissed, or why he's apparently full of shit. It's twelve dollars for a game that isn't very engaging, or even very long.

I don't particularly agree with him on the assessment that Episode 1 was a really good game, but I can see reasons as to why it's possible to consider Episode 2 a disappointment. It's arguable that it prioritizes on key elements while neglecting the build around the foundation, which is what it takes to fully realize a good idea.

The game isn't particularly bad, it's just not engaging on any level. It's solid, providing the occasional pleasant moment and dose of eye candy, but it's one of the more banal offerings of late, which is a real shame considering what a high point Sonic Generations was. With Episode 2, it seems Sonic Team addressed the main complaint from Sonic 4's first installment, and simply went through the motions when it came to making the rest of the game. A fairly inoffensive set of levels, to be fair, but no real heart to any of them.

"Oh the humanity."

• Thumbs Up 3

It's just strange because I didn't find the levels any more nor less forgettable than the first game's. All of them had a unique gimmick, just like Ep1's did, and all of them required a couple of plays before they became memorable.

If he actually DOES occasionally have an extra go on Episode 1 like he implied, well of course those levels will be more memorable. Blah I dunno.

At the end of day it's just weird that all of his criticisms of this one could be applied to Episode 1 yet that managed to be three points higher. I'll just never understand how he saw that game.

• Thumbs Up 2

To get a good feel of a game you need to play it a lot. That's why I like games that are all about exploration, replay value. The incentive to keep playing again and again. Games like Metal Gear Solid, Sonic 3&K. Assassns Creed 2, Batman Arkham City etc live and breath replay value because there is so much content. When I first played Sonic 3 back in 1994 I liked it immediately. The more I played it and explored the levels, the more I appreciated just how much an indepth game it was. When Sonic & Knuckles came out in 1994 to complete the story I was literally blown away just how amazing and epic that game was. As the years passed by and 3d and better consoles became the norm, I never forgot how much I loved that game.

With the release of Sonic 4 which is about as similar to Sonic 3&K as Sonic is to Mario, it makes me appreciate 3&K even more and long for the days when 2d Sonic games got everyone excited.

Have I played Ep1 to death? well yes but it took some doing as it is not the most user friendly game. You know shit physics. Not particularly memorable music and mostly linear level design (boring!) among other things. So I look forward to playing Ep2 several times before I formally judge the game. I like reading other peoples reviews, but in the end I think you should play the game yourself several times before you give a verdict.

You know what..... I am looking forward to playing Ep2! Will it stay the test of time? we will see...

Edited by MilesKnightwing