Awoo.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 Reviews

BlazingTales

Then there's 2 people that liked Episode I more than II? (Well, the second case being slightly)

This just in.

Jim Sterling gives a score you don't agree with.

• Thumbs Up 2

Some people here agree with the review itself but not the score. I'm not fussing or defending the review or the score.

I don't even disagree with the score necessarily. More the fact that it got a lower score than Ep 1 which really doesn't make sense. It's not even like SA1/SA2 syndrome where it was new territories for Sonic and 3D platforming in general. Ep 1 did nothing particularly noteworthy or standout during release apart from be named "Sonic 4".

It's just strange because I didn't find the levels any more nor less forgettable than the first game's. All of them had a unique gimmick, just like Ep1's did, and all of them required a couple of plays before they became memorable.

If he actually DOES occasionally have an extra go on Episode 1 like he implied, well of course those levels will be more memorable. Blah I dunno.

At the end of day it's just weird that all of his criticisms of this one could be applied to Episode 1 yet that managed to be three points higher. I'll just never understand how he saw that game.

He rated it higher based on how much fun he had. He obviously had more fun with Episode 1 than he did with its sequel.

Its subjective. You and many others could find it to be better, technically (which it probably is), but Jim found it less fun for reasons only he knows.

The score is valid, based on his opinion. The number is a quantification of a subjective issue. 8 = reasonably fun. 5 = "meh".

After all the hype and build-up, one would expect it to be much better than it is, so it would be classed as a dissappointment.

The loudest criticism of the E1 music came simply from the instrumentation, and how it didn't sound anything like the Classics it was supposed to be similar to. So Jun went about fixing that for E2 (why he even went with dying cats initially is beyond me), not by using proper instruments but by using instruments more akin to those used on the Megadrive with an end result that still sounds like a terrible mess. It's like he doesn't know what he's trying to do. The music direction is wrong and the outcome bad. How they got the classic style wrong after so Generations came out last year is anyone's guess. Oh wait, hang on... yup, none of the Classic tracks were done by Jun, except the decidedly unclassic Emerald Coast Act 1 and remake of the Death Egg Robo (which was actually fitting). Why hasn't Hataya/Ohtani/Tokoi/Cash Cash contributed to S4?

Poorly attempting to make the music sound like it's from a Megadrive just isn't right at all. There's other ways to do Classic.

This is SOOOO true. As much as I love Jun and his style of music (Chem Plant Modern, his contributions/additions to Big Arms Remix and so on), he's just not suited to this kind of role. He wasn't going to turn it down, after all its his livelihood, but you can tell it was far outside his zone. Tracks like Death Egg MK II and Sky Fortress act 2 and 3 fall within his "zone" and are therefore really good. The rest do not and suffer as a result.

This should, as all other soundtracks are, have been a collab. Keep Sky fortress and Death Egg MK II, and have everyone else to everything else. Say one person per Zone and one person for the boss music and such. That way we get a mix of everyone's style and an overall better soundtrack.

Edited by Scar

I also have to note something he said in the review, he said there was no love in the levels and I completely agree.

As we all know, this game was supposedly supposed to be called Sonic DL or something, basically mini downloadable adventures which were inspired by the Classics. They STUPIDLY decided to call it Sonic 4 so they could get more sales, and now we end up with this episodic, inconsistent mess of rehash. There is VERY little progression in these games and apparently little drive to do. They've had SO much time to make this game perfect, what with the release of Generations and Episode 1, and I think that pisses me off the most, how much time and feedback they've had to get it all right.

Shoot they're even reusing the Death Egg stuff again, and it looks like every single episode is its own game because it ends in space and acts as its own mini downloadable title....which it was meant to be.

• Thumbs Up 6

As we all know, this game was supposedly supposed to be called Sonic DL or something, basically mini downloadable adventures which were inspired by the Classics.

Completely agree with your post, but have to say this isn't right. It started off as a 2D game on consoles and they eventually decided upon calling it Sonic 4. "SonicDL" is found within lots of file names for both E1 and E2, but it's just a placeholder. Generations and Colours share the same naming format (being SonicHD and SonicLD respectively, implying they began as the same project) because they start work on titles before they know full well what it'll be in the end.

• Thumbs Up 6

Then there's 2 people that liked Episode I more than II? (Well, the second case being slightly)

Well, 2 websites/magazines. Different people did the OXM US reviews. Taylor Cocke did Episode 1 and Dave Rudden did Episode 2.

Pfft. Reviewers, I mean who's scores a game based on their own opinion and not by what the public thinks?

• Thumbs Up 4

To keep it real, when I think about it reviewers kind of piss me off for the sheer fact that they're riding off of the hard work of developers to make a name for themselves. I can appreciate INDEPENDENT reviewers like Somecallmejohny or others because they're not some big corporation who acts like riding off of developers is actual work. Places like IGN just breathe down developers necks by snatching every word that comes out their mouth and posting it as news and giving terrible reviews to games and turning people off to them.

• Thumbs Up 2

To keep it real, when I think about it reviewers kind of piss me off for the sheer fact that they're riding off of the hard work of developers to make a name for themselves. I can appreciate INDEPENDENT reviewers like Somecallmejohny or others because they're not some big corporation who acts like riding off of developers is actual work. Places like IGN just breathe down developers necks by snatching every word that comes out their mouth and posting it as news and giving terrible reviews to games and turning people off to them.

Maybe people should stop caring what sites like IGN think, and actually play the goddamn game for themselves.

• Thumbs Up 7

Maybe people should stop caring what sites like IGN think, and actually play the goddamn game for themselves.

The problem with this argument is that people look to reviews to help their decision about whether they should fork out their money for said game or not. Apart from a demo, people can't play a game without parting with their cash for it. I guess if they live near somewhere that does rentals, they could try the full thing for a small amount of money.

• Thumbs Up 6

The problem with this argument is that people look to reviews to help their decision about whether they should fork out their money for said game or not. Apart from a demo, people can't play a game without parting with their cash for it. I guess if they live near somewhere that does rentals, they could try the full thing for a small amount of money.

Ok look, it costs money to play games, that's the bottom line. Don't wanna fork over $60 for a game you may not like? Fine, just wait for a sale then, but don't base your entire view of a game on someone else's opinion because at the end of the day, what matters is that if you liked the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok look, it costs money to play games, that's the bottom line. Don't wanna fork over $60 for a game you may not like? Fine, just wait for a sale then, but don't base your entire view of a game on someone else's opinion because at the end of the day, what matters is that if you liked the game.

I agree that people shouldn't base their entire decision on other people's opinions, but I do think reviews can help a decision, though. I personally base my decision on a number of things: I read up on information, watch gameplay videos, try the demo (if there is one), and read a variety of reviews to see what the general opinion on the game is and what it plays like.

With newly released movies I'm not too fussed about reviews, because they're cheap enough to take risks with. But with newly released games, I can't just blindly go splash £30-£45. That's a lot of money.

• Thumbs Up 5

I agree that people shouldn't base their entire decision on other people's opinions, but I do think reviews can help a decision, though. I personally base my decision on a number of things: I read up on information, watch gameplay videos, try the demo (if there is one), and read a variety of reviews to see what the general opinion on the game is and what it plays like.

With newly released movies I'm not too fussed about reviews, because they're cheap enough to take risks with. But with newly released games, I can't just blindly go splash £30-£45. That's a lot of money.

I read reviews and previews too, to like you said, just get everyone else's view on the game, but at the end of the day my decision is based on how I feel.

I'm not feeling episode 2, despite the improvements people have claimed, and having watched new videos myself, my opinion hasn't changed. I'm sure its a good game, just not the game for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, come on. 5/10 is a very good "average" rating.

Even though in school, a 50% is a fail. And Metacritic deems it negative. And a majority of the comments on the review see 5/10 as a bad game. And most of those comments also assume the game is shit and many state that they'll skip it.

But despite all that, 5/10 is a good score! :D

• Thumbs Up 2

I played the beta8 only, and I have to say 5 is kinda unfair. I think 7.5 is pretty much perfect, I would give the same, maybe 8 if some musics change and the physics work better (rolling and shit) on the final version.

Edited by Jango

I played the beta8 only, and I have to say 5 is kinda unfair. I think 7.5 is pretty much perfect, I would give the same, maybe 8 if some musics change and the physics work better (rolling and shit) on the final version.

Are Beta8 players able to try multiplayer? Have yet to read anything on that.

Are Beta8 players able to try multiplayer? Have yet to read anything on that.

Not online. But local co-op works just fine and it kinda isn't very fun. You're better off playing single player.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not online. But local co-op works just fine and it kinda isn't very fun. You're better off playing single player.

This. You know how in Sonic Colours 2P mode, you had to be REALLY well-co-ordinated to stay on the same screen? Same deal. I imagine Special Stages will be fun but that's about it.

Even bosses lose their tag-team potential since you can only score 1 hit at a time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the 8 is cool...but I don't know german. Can someone understand what it says?

Google translated:

Who would have ever thought that there would ever be a time in which a new and good Sonic game would be the norm and expectation, rather than a clear indication of the approach of higher things. But here we are, 4 Episode 1, Colours and Generations in the last few years into it, and that Sonic holds 4 Episode 2 this quality does not surprise anymore. How quickly you get used to things yet.

In this context, I can now also add that my former enthusiasm for Sonic 4.1, a little was due to the fact that just before mostly junk rumkam. To feel the joy, sometimes boredom to physical pain at the sight of the blue hedgehog, I was perhaps a little too far. But nonetheless, was 4.1, a really good, if not debate free play. The classic look with modern control and relatively easy to change the bounce was not any. Likely to look even know how it goes when it turns exactly, it jumps back as if it was 1993 - almost - except that it no longer looks like.

Modern 3D backgrounds and characters, but without 3D perspective to the screen in Into race, once again grace the four stages. Does it look to Sonic? Yes, no, mostly already. The first stage would be too much for my taste imported to underwater games and works with its ruins / fortress-like motifs a bit of a different game. The wilder and more colorful Winter / Theme Park World is right with lots of roller coasters on the stylistic line, as well as the third-factory level. Set in a desert, he plays with sand storms and a lot of death traps, before it again goes into the sky-fortress of the ubiquitous Eggman. Eight special stages in cozy memories of Mega-Drive-3D stages to collect the chaos crystals round out a very conservative design. Whether you're comfortable in design, I do not really judge. For me, I can say that it is not, despite the undeniable technical sophistication meets one hundred percent what I mean by "Sonic Design". At least in the reactionary "In the past, but this was different and better anyway"-meaning.

The latest and greatest fun gimmick might be the co-op. On a split screen has been waived, it zooms out to both players half way to keep in mind. Sonic was never known for his co-op modes, and does not change here. You can play second, but played like we were confronted on the couch directly with Episode 2, not directly to mind. The only places where you have to really work together, are defined tear actions, in which Sonic Tails like a small helicopter carries a death or two-roll ball on the ground by ice walls and other obstacles. These work in solo mode, not worse, since Tails you every step of the following - and often times die, but this has no effect. It is secondary to a changing Afterwards trotting. They play together, because it is nice for visitors, as only zuzugucken, but real co-op gameplay with fun-Boost is not.

This does not mean that it would prepare for a player no joy. The level design is not just in themselves, but in the later course offers some nice death traps, which was created to pad almost biting - the silo should be as in 3.2 ... A few cheap deaths are to be paid, just make sure the bosses, especially Metal Sonic, but since it comes through, that's good. Hedgehog professionals will be in two to three hours, but then have nowhere seen it all too. The replay value of the individual stages is held up by various levels of the racetracks. These you see in the background and it rankles even if it is seen that there is something, where there has not been. The human primordial urge to explore and to try to be there, where there has not been set, then surely one in which one or other, since the tails move the helicopter made much easier and research more attractive.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 is a really good little platformer. It should here be better not to ask the question about the relevance of the Sonic games played today in the modern landscape, but as a retro flashback, as well as healthy representatives of the genre just convinced that round. The co-op may be more moderate than those failed, but that the level of the lone player to show very well that the design of this is by no means a lost art. Sonic does not reach the maximum idealized form that he really really rarely enjoyed in his career, but for a very real degree of consistently high quality and compelling than what it is. A really good little platformer.