Awoo.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 Reviews

BlazingTales

Problem is, it's more difficult than it should be to do this because sites like Destructoid are proud of the fact that they rates games differently because they rate games differently.

You still haven't once told me what it is that they rate differently apart from giving a few odd games low scores, which is something every single publication out there has done in the past and something Destructoid isn't alone in doing. A reviewer considering a 5/10 an average has no bearing on what you, as a person, will perceive it as. If "average" isn't worth your time, then that's wonderful.

I've seen people here say "Ah well destructoids 5 is really a 7 compared to other sites...." Well give the game a fucking 7 then or take them off Meta-critic!

Shit. 7 is average now. Let's turn the entire scale into how many shades of brown a game is.

It's rather funny to go by this mindset if you'd like to give people enough credit to believe the same masses will bother reading full reviews without a grade, because no matter what there will still be mindless assumptions if everything isn't peaches and gravy. It's the reason Yahtzee has so much notoriety.

Shit. 7 is average now. Let's turn the entire scale into how many shades of brown a game is.

Oh for goodness sake...

Would you explain what the sense in calling a game a 5 when according to the site it's on, it's actually a 7? Then explain the sense in putting that 5 onto a system which is designed under a basis that every review is grading for the same criteria?

You can't, because in itself that notion of 'our system is stricter' completely negates it right away, so why even bother including it onto the collection of averages when it's not starting from a neutral standpoint?

That system only works if every review or score you are collecting from is starting from the same as everything else and going through the same standards of testing. But we know this doesn't happen. Destructoid & Gameinformer have openly admitted that their standards are not the norm. So why even include them onto it when the whole point of a meta score is to try and get an average reading when you're using material which by it's own admission isn't being judged along the same guidelines?

Even on Meta-Critics own website there is an image made by Meta-Critic which practically advises people contributing to the site to rate things a 6 if they don't think it was good.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think Video Game Review Standards can have its own topic, seeing that we're going off on a tangent here... Aren't we just here to discuss reviews for Sonic 4: Episode II? ^^;

Would you explain what the sense in calling a game a 5 when according to the site it's on, it's actually a 7? Then explain the sense in putting that 5 onto a system which is designed under a basis that every review is grading for the same criteria?

I wasn't particularly aware that a jab at modern gamer perception means that they're "any different", nor do I even get why a line as "basically a 7 at your grandfather's blog" is supposed to be taken seriously.

Oh right, and then there's the whole "we are different" horsepoopery. If I had a nickel every time someone said that. Reviews and grades aren't considered different from the norm just because people like to say so. It's an excuse pulled for writers who act like they need to defend the fact that they didn't like games as much as others when conversing with mindless people who can't even face the fact that not every game needs to be an 8/10. It was heard from sites like Gamereactor when reviews like Uncharted 2 weren't perfect scores - or just about every review EDGE ever made. I'm surprised people even buy into those excuses anymore, since what apparently "goes against the norm" is what becomes the norm.

Even on Meta-Critics own website there is an image made by Meta-Critic which practically advises them to rate things a 6 if they don't think it was good.

And as I stated pages back, it doesn't make it any less moronically run when they themselves are in dire need to explain aggregates, mostly because Metacritic aren't even run by reviewers.

I think Video Game Review Standards can have its own topic, seeing that we're going off on a tangent here... Aren't we just here to discuss reviews for Sonic 4: Episode II? ^^;

Quite. My apologies.

• Thumbs Up 2

PROS:

+ Retro Flair

+ Interesting levels with nice features

+ Fun multiplayer

+ High score hunting

+ Challenging boss battles

+ Worthy successor

+ Team Skills

Cons:

- No story

- Short-lived pleasure

- No Tutorial Stage

- Acts simple

No tutorial stage? I thought Sylvania Castle Act 1 is basically the tutorial stage.

Seriously? A tutorial stage?

^^Yeah, pretty much that is what i think too.

No tutorial stage? I thought Sylvania Castle Act 1 is basically the tutorial stage.

The method used in game is that you can't use use any of the combo moves until youve reach their respective sign for the first time. so you can't fly until you first get to the sign in SC1, can't swim until SC2 and cant Super Sex until SC3. It's like all of SC is a forced tutorial first time you play it.

Honestly, I agree with them that this game needs a tutorial stage. People are morons, and it need only be a short act. There were plenty of people getting confused by the idea of combo moves and even the bloody wheels in the first act at demos.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

The method used in game is that you can't use use any of the combo moves until youve reach their respective sign for the first time. so you can't fly until you first get to the sign in SC1, can't swim until SC2 and cant Super Sex until SC3. It's like all of SC is a forced tutorial first time you play it.

Honestly, I agree with them that this game needs a tutorial stage. People are morons, and it need only be a short act. There were plenty of people getting confused by the idea of combo moves and even the bloody wheels in the first act at demos.

Wait. When you say you can't use the move, you mean i can't 69 until i reach Act 3? cause i could do that right away when i started the game. Same with the other moves.

Wait. When you say you can't use the move, you mean i can't 69 until i reach Act 3? cause i could do that right away when i started the game. Same with the other moves.

Start a new file and see for yourself- you can't use any of the combo moves until you reach the first sign displaying it. After that it's unlocked for you to use whenever you like, but until then they're unusable.

Start a new file and see for yourself- you can't use any of the combo moves until you reach the first sign displaying it. After that it's unlocked for you to use whenever you like, but until then they're unusable.

Ah, i see...got it. Yeah you're right. Just tested it. Well for me the first act goes under the tutorial and i guess you could say the other 2 acts too since you get one move in each act but i can see BB's point after seeing some players. >_>

An explanation of the co-op moves should be in the options menu, end of. Why the need for a tutorial level? It's a Sonic game for fuck sake. Should be piss easy to get use to the new moves very quickly. At least it was back in the 90's.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

An explanation of the co-op moves should be in the options menu, end of. Why the need for a tutorial level? It's a Sonic game for fuck sake. Should be piss easy to get use to the new moves very quickly. At least it was back in the 90's.

Hah, I beg your pardon? When I was a little kid playing Sonic for the very first time, I got stuck in Mushroom Hill's vine traps and had to have a friend help me out of it every time because I didn't know how to operate the spin-dash. Yeah, tell a 5 year old kid to open up the menu and read it. A good game introduces gameplay concepts (basic as they may be) as the player goes along instead of being lazy and tossing a long description of how the game works in one go. You'd be surprised how slow people actually are to figuring out how to play a platformer, let alone Sonic. Sonic was never as simple as "run-and-jump," not even from day one. EVERYTHING has a learning curve, and should be treated as such. You don't have a written tutorial for math, you solve the problems and practice them in school. Same with games, you learn better in these given situations by doing.

If I recall correctly, in an interview, Yuji Naka himself said that he wanted the levels to be designed in a way that were easy to approach at first, and then become more complex as you went along, creating a different kind of progression from Mario at the time. Makes sense, right? Well, you'd be surprised with how little this happens nowadays. It is possible, however, to do this in one dedicated level without the player even knowing it. If you want a good example of this in action, take a look at Egoraptor's review of the Megaman X tutorial level. It isn't a tutorial level in the obvious sense, but as the character continues on in this one area, they are forced into positions where they either observe the mechanics of how the game will play out, or have to experiment to find out how to progress. It's never anything too complicated that even an ADD 10 year old should give up on, and I don't see why Sonic has to be limited to a cruddy series of pages with bits of text, when I'm certain the player would much rather be experimenting things on their own. Sonic Colors did things progressively, I don't see why Sonic 4 doing it is a bad thing.

[media=]

6:00 and on is where he talks about the Megaman X tutorial level, but really the entire video is dedicated to tutorials.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 7

I remember with Sonic 1, first time I played it Christmas '91, I was just tossed into the game. I died a ton my first time through Act 1, but I learned from my mistakes and picked up the moves as they came. Discovering I could roll down a hill and through a wall was infinitely more satisfying, and surprising, than just being told I could do it.

I think Ep2's "tutorials" were fine, they just needed to display the actual buttons on screen for stuff like the spin dash wheels.

@Indigo Rush - fair point.

I do appreciate that most games these days (at least on PS3) have some kind of tutorial to start with, which is perfectly okay with me. Games like Fallout 3, Batman Arham City for example do a tutorial in such a subtle way, that it doesn't slow down or hurt the feel of the game. Of course there are some games where a 'tutorial level' is blatantly forced upon you straight away-very in your face. This can end up feeling like stop and start, stop and start, which can be very annoying, and put you off the game (in my my opinion). The little tutorial 'screens' for Sonic 4 Ep2 and the gradual introduction to the co-op moves in the first zone are a good idea. Allowing you pick up the moves, get the hang of them and at the same time not disrupting the flow of the gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I never read a manual (paper or online) when I play a PS3 game for the first time. I like to play a new game, get a feel for it and discover the moves myself as I play the game, getting use to the moves and gimmicks. It's all part of the fun, learning as you moves progress. Trial and error. As long as the tutorial is subtle I am okay with that.

Perhaps Ep1 should have had a tutorial saying: 'the physics will play a little differently to what you are use to'.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Yeah, looking to be a 8/10, B+ game. Not too shabby! I mean, after all the love Generations got, the score makes sense. Reviewers probably still have the 2D stages in their heads, and by comparison Episode 2 looks good but not as great.

I predict EP II to get anywhere between a 6/10 or a 7.5/10 from IGN cause the guy who've reviewed EP I doesn't work for IGN anymore unless I'm mistaken.

Edited by sonfan1984