Awoo.

EA at it again

Patticus

Official DICE servers for Battlefield 3 multiplayer have been completely withdrawn, with the game now largely playable only on private rented servers.

Publisher Electronic Arts and developer DICE recently made the bold move of introducing a server-rental scheme to console versions of Battlefield 3. At $30 for 30 days, these servers don’t come cheap, but this hasn’t stopped the Battlefield community from signing up in droves.

http://venturebeat.c...-battlefield-3/

Who actually pays for these servers anyway, and why would you even want to? I'm really not sure who's worse here, perhaps you can help: EA & DICE, or the fools who actually pay up for this shit?

• Thumbs Up 7

What the fuck? Are they serious? $30 for 1 month!? Is this only for the console version?

• Thumbs Up 1

What the fuck? Are they serious? $30 for 1 month!? Is this only for the console version?

Every version, as far as I can tell, although I'll be very happy to be proven wrong on that count.

So let me get this straight I have to pay for Xbox Live then I have then pay to use the private servers in order to Play Battlefield 3?

Fuck that! sleep.png

Meanwhile at EA....

• Thumbs Up 5

So let me get this straight I have to pay for Xbox Live then I have then pay to use the private servers in order to Play Battlefield 3?

Fuck that! sleep.png

No, you can play on other people's servers, assuming they have it open to the public. Unfortunately you have to play by their rules. Even on "ranked" matches people can get away with a lot of stuff. Admins will kick you for no reason at all, respawn tickets are increased to absurd ammounts dragging the game on longer than it needs to, and you'll play maps no one else wants to. (Operation Metro is a HORRIBLE RUSH MAP! Stop making servers that just play that map!)

• Thumbs Up 1

No, you can play on other people's servers, assuming they have it open to the public. Unfortunately you have to play by their rules. Even on "ranked" matches people can get away with a lot of stuff. Admins will kick you for no reason at all, respawn tickets are increased to absurd ammounts dragging the game on longer than it needs to, and you'll play maps no one else wants to. (Operation Metro is a HORRIBLE RUSH MAP! Stop making servers that just play that map!)

Er, yeah, fuck that. I don't tend to play online much anyway.wink.png

There can be enormous benefit to playing on private servers, and it's already common for a lot of PC games to be run on private servers (especially Minecraft which has no official servers at all, as well as many other games), but it's dependent on people being responsible server owners.

It's a smart move for EA if the public servers aren't profitable, so I don't really know why people are knee-jerk denouncing this. The prices are about standard for hosting a dedicated server as well. You realise they're talking about the cost to host the server, not to play on it, right?

Edited by Velotix von Skruviktorrius

True, but I guarantee you that not one person who plays this on console (or any console game for that matter) would be happy with the situation.

I'm a PC player anyway, so it wouldn't bother me too much if I had the game. I do, however, feel for the people who have lost out on game content in this money-grabbing escapade.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, well that's a decent turnout. Still wouldn't surprise me if EA did do something like that though.

• Thumbs Up 2

so all the "public" servers are no more and only way I can play is to join someone who is renting a server or rent my own?

so all the "public" servers are no more and only way I can play is to join someone who is renting a server or rent my own?

According to an update, they're not shutting down their servers.

Edited by Slash

According to an update, they're not shutting down their servers.

O okay, thanks for the clarification cuz I was reading around and I wasn't sure what to "gather" from all this XD I was about to be a bit upset because I relatively enjoy BF3. I remember playing in this one private server, we were playing in that game for quite some time and realized the tickets were set to around 500 and my friends and I were like.....wtf XD