Awoo.

How can Sonic sell better?

Chaos Warp

Aside from maybe Hover and the Bee Suit, is there a single Wisp that is analogous to a power-up in either Galaxy games, or does Mario now have exclusive rights to power-ups in a platformer?

Well, the Yellow Wisp is copying the Drill from Galaxy 2............LMAO, I'm kidding, but some Nintendo fanboys actually said that though mellow.png

I really don't know how a drill which can be fully controlled underground and transforms into a torpedo underwater is the same as a drill which just takes you to the other side with no player input...but hey, this has nothing to do with Sonic games selling well so I think I'll just stop here.

Edited by KrazyBean14

No duh; I'm not saying Sega is a charity, rather the actions do not entirely follow.

So weve abandoned the marketing discussion and instead decided to have the same arguments we've had a bajillion times before?

So weve abandoned the marketing discussion and instead decided to have the same arguments we've had a bajillion times before?

Okay, Sega's perception of what maximizes profit, whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some people believe that the only way for Sonic to sell more is to make the gameplay better. Thing is, that's not the only way.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still say moving Sonic to the spring/summer drought would probably be an awesome idea considering there's never any competition for him to fight with. Also, Sonic is already heavily advertised anyway, probably a lot more than most other games. Commercials, print, special events, and websites galore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't want things to go too far off topic, but care to explain this? I really don't see how Unleashed can be considered more cohesive and polished when it forces you to switch between a platformer and a beat-em-up constantly and has slippery controls.

Edited by The Groosenator
  • Thumbs Up 5

Not having Sonic on exclusive consoles I think would help Sonic sell more. That way he could be available to all gamers on all consoles, handhelds and the PC. I understand why Sega didn't make Sonic Generations for the Wii, but in the end I think not doing so really cost them considering Sonic sells well on Nintendo consoles. I'm pretty sure that the numbers for Sonic Generations would of been much higher had the game been made for the Wii. Having Sonic games on different consoles exclusively is frustrating and can be expensive if one wants to have and play every Sonic game out there. I highly doubt that too many people did what I did and went out and bought an Xbox 360 (or PS3) so they could play Sonic Generations. Us fans shouldn't have to do that since Sonic is third party. Sonic should be available to any and all gaming systems so not to leave anyone out and consequently inhibit sales of his games.

If I remember correctly on another thread (I think it was about Sega having to downsize along with its failures), one major problem was linked to Sega advertising or the lack of it. Now as big as a name Sonic is Sega should advertise him to no end, having him everywhere. I know there was a commerical for Sonic Generations, but how often was it seen on TV? I never saw it. Maybe it was hit and miss with me but the only time I saw it was on Youtube. Anyway, my point is that Sonic needs a lot more exposure. Maybe now that Sega is downsizing they may able to free up more money to up their advertising for Sonic. You can't buy anything if you don't know it exists!

I don't agree that Generations is bland and lifeless, there's love and effort put into it. It just feels way too safe.

Agreed. Sonic Team could of done better. Playing it safe isn't the way to go, but we don't want a disaster either. I agree with the idea that Sega needs to mix things up a little bit, take a bit of a risk and make things interesting. And I know that the story isn't the most important thing, but I honestly feel that Sonic needs to improve there. Not something dark and heavy, just more developed and interesting, where in the end one isn't scratching their head wondering what happened and coming up with a ton of plotholes with the story in each game, being shallow. That shouldn't be happening. I know gameplay is most important, but I don't want to play a game trying to figure out what is going on storywise or leaves me asking questions.

Another thing I think will help is add more substance within the game to make it last longer. What I mean is having more zones, more acts more challenges...not a whole bunch of silly little missions that really only serve as fillers (also give Sonic's friends a real purpose in the game if you are going to have them in there). Don't get me wrong, I loved Sonic Generations, but really didn't feel like I got my money's worth out of it. Same with Sonic Colors. Who wants to spend $50 or $40 on a game that can be finished within 3 to 4 hours? I think Sega had the right idea with Sonic Unleashed (say what you want about the Werehog), but kept you busy, and for a while too.

Edited by Sonikku_Kiah
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm pretty sure that the numbers for Sonic Generations would of been much higher had the game been made for the Wii.

Everytime this gets brought up I have to ask myself if people are thinking about the fact that creating a third, different (even if watered down version of the game) would really be able to make up SEGA's costs. Yes, Wii development is a lot less expensive than other consoles, but at the end of the day it means that SEGA has to create a third version of the game that is completely different from the other two simply because the Wii cannot handle it. Unleashed fell into this category as well. Sure it would have in the end shifted more units overall, but would the amount of extra copies sold really make up the cost of both HD versions + a third Wii version? Not to mention that this time around they indeed put Sonic Generations on the 3DS...which I'd assume was cheap enough to make compared to the other versions, and I honestly have no clue how that one fared.

Just because something appears on insertconsolehere (whether that be the Wii/360/PS3/PC etc) doesn't automatically mean that it will make them a profit. Personally I feel they probably saved themselves some money just focusing on making one version of the game and merely porting it across 3 similar platforms. But I mean that's just how I see it.

-------

However at the topic at hand I think that in regards to"How can Sonic sell better" is the marketing. They always get off to a gung-ho start with all guns blazing and media coverage everywhere ... and then drop off the face of the planet. Where are all the TV ads? Where is all the coverage in the weeks leading up to the games. It's like they build up a hype train and expect that train to just make its way over a steep hill of competition by itself. There are very few series with the type of reputation to be able to do that, and Sonic is not one of those series anymore.

But this is not just a Sonic series problem. This is a problem with SEGA in general. In fact, I'd say Sonic gets the better end of the stick more often than not because SEGA's promotion for all their other games is even worse. I think in the end the marketing division for SEGA needs to totally up their game, or at the very least allocate their funding for marketing a lot more wisely and in the places where it counts the most. If more people knew about their games coming out, or at the very least the marketing team made these games more desirable than perhaps they might be (you know, generating buzz and excitement) then perhaps not only would Sonic games sell a lot more - but all their other games as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I say after we get a few more good games, Sonic needs to take a BREAK. Then when he returns, knock 'em out with a game worthy of critical acclaim, something that'll get the huge chunk of people who don't care to interested, something big and fresh that'll get the critics talking and making polls, starting discussions.\

Also piggyback off of Mario.

I say after we get a few more good games, Sonic needs to take a BREAK.

What kind of break? A break from the main game series or a complete break from Sonic games altogether? And if Sonic has a run of good games going, how would taking a break help matters? You know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it! Keep a good thing going if you can. I'm just thinking that if Sonic is gone for a little bit via a break, when he comes back they fans may not come back along with him.

Also piggyback off of Mario.

I'm sorry, but no. Mario is Mario, and Sonic is Sonic. Sonic became an internationally known success originally by doing his own thing. The problem is that Sonic Team has devivated rather far from that to the point that Sonic is in the "mess" that he is in now. We even are at the point wondering and discussing how to have more Sonic games sold because of this via this actual topic.

• Thumbs Up 4

What kind of break? A break from the main game series or a complete break from Sonic games altogether? And if Sonic has a run of good games going, how would taking a break help matters? You know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it! Keep a good thing going if you can. I'm just thinking that if Sonic is gone for a little bit via a break, when he comes back they fans may not come back along with him.

I'm sorry, but no. Mario is Mario, and Sonic is Sonic. Sonic became an internationally known success originally by doing his own thing. The problem is that Sonic Team has devivated rather far from that to the point that Sonic is in the "mess" that he is in now. We even are at the point wondering and discussing how to have more Sonic games sold because of this via this actual topic.

I thought his intended purpose at the beginning was to be like Mario but better.:/

The only part of Sonic that revolved around being better than Mario were ads in the 90s.

It's what the topic comes down to, in the end. "How to make good Sonic games".

I guess, but Sonic still sold pretty well when there weren't any of those coming out.

Edited by Ekaje

Better than it does now, funnily enough, depending on your definition of "good."

Have the next Sonic game built around a mysterious, extremely powerful new hedgehog, have classic Sonic return, and create a huge marketing campaign for the game. The main cast will be:

- Sonic (classic and modern)

- Shadow

- The mysterious powerful hedgehog

Classic and modern versions of Tails and Knuckles will be the only supporting characters.

The enemies will be Eggman, Metal Sonic, and the new hedgehog.

Have classic Sonic, modern Sonic and Shadow the only playable characters.

- Modern Sonic will have his current Generations gameplay

- Classic Sonic will have classic gameplay

- Shadow will have his ShTH/06 gameplay

Call the game "Sonic Adventure 3: The Ultimate Enemy." Make it exclusive to a Nintendo platform. Create a special collectors edition.

And then sit back and watch the money roll in.

Edited by Madame Amano
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have the next Sonic game built around a mysterious, extremely powerful new hedgehog, have classic Sonic return, and create a huge marketing campaign for the game. The main cast will be:

- Sonic (classic and modern)

- Shadow

- The mysterious powerful hedgehog

I...really don't know about this. For one thing, one of the things that made Classic Sonic's appearance in Generations special was that it would be a one-time deal. The novelty of it could wear off clearly. For another, the last thing they want to do at this point is introduce another character, especially in the vein of, say, Silver. Making the story revolve around him and giving Sonic and co. a back seat in terms of plot significance would probably be an even worse idea. And really, I doubt many of us want another recolor. It was kind of cool the first time. Then Silver happened.

- Shadow will have his ShTH/06 gameplay

Please, no, for the love of all that is good and holy, no! NO!!!

Call the game "Sonic Adventure 3: The Ultimate Enemy." Make it exclusive to a Nintendo platform. Create a special collectors edition.

They shouldn't do this unless they want another Sonic 4 fiasco.

• Thumbs Up 2

I...really don't know about this. For one thing, one of the things that made Classic Sonic's appearance in Generations special was that it would be a one-time deal. The novelty of it could wear off clearly. For another, the last thing they want to do at this point is introduce another character, especially in the vein of, say, Silver. Making the story revolve around him and giving Sonic and co. a back seat in terms of plot significance would probably be an even worse idea. And really, I doubt many of us want another recolor. It was kind of cool the first time. Then Silver happened.

Please, no, for the love of all that is good and holy, no! NO!!!

They shouldn't do this unless they want another Sonic 4 fiasco.

...You realize he's joking right?

• Thumbs Up 1

...You realize he's joking right?

..............come to think of it..............................

MAN I FEEL STUPID.

Carry on.

• Thumbs Up 4

A fast-paced, complex platformer with lots of exploration and platforming and a fun and unique gimmick is pretty special. I don't know what you're talking about.

I can't tell if you're serious. You just run in straight lines in the 3D sections, and the 2D sections are very generic. There's nothing unique about the wisps. They're basically Mario power ups.

He have to get a gun and become shooter-platformer with dark and edgy story, swearing and killing humans. Shadow should be main character and OH WAIT :o

I can't tell if you're serious. You just run in straight lines in the 3D sections, and the 2D sections are very generic. There's nothing unique about the wisps. They're basically Mario power ups.

Yeah, we heard you the first dozen times. Still waiting for some quantifiable reason we should accept the comparison.

• Thumbs Up 2