Awoo.

So Square Enix sucks; "Won't Remake FF7 Until They Surpass It"

turbojet

Im actually one of 2 people who just want an XII sequel.

That said, FFVII looks like utter shit and It's one of the few games where I think it fucking needs a remake.

Edited by The Groosenator
  • Thumbs Up 1

Im actually one of 2 people who just want an XII sequel.

Am I the other person-

Technically Revenant Wings was a sequel but it wasn't really up my street.

But man I love XII...........

I don't remember SE ever stating that they will "remake" 7 or even hint at it. The Technical demo was just that... a technical demo, something to just show off the ps3's power, nothing more, nothing less.

In 2005 at the Sony E3 annual press conference, Square Enix showed a Technical Demo for the PS3 depicting the opening sequence to the original Final Fantasy VII remade with the PS3's enhanced graphics. Square Enix later made an official statement that there are currently no plans of a remake of Final Fantasy VII for the PS3.

The rumors were sparked a second time with Square Enix's exhibition of new FMV artworks during the Final Fantasy VII 10th Anniversary event in Japan. The artworks depicted the characters in their Final Fantasy VII costumes, reigniting rumors that a remake of the game may be in development. These CG artworks were printed on their new canned Potion beverages. Kazuo Hirai, the president of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, also fueled the rumors by sticking a small note in the exhibition saying "Congratulations for the ten fantastic years! The best is yet to come".

The release of Crisis Core brought new speculation to the possibility of a remake. The ending shows the beginning of Final Fantasy VII in a modern CG style, followed by a title card reading "to be continued in FINAL FANTASY VII", in reference to the original game.

Despite excitement surrounding the chance of a remake, Square Enix has consistently denied any and all rumors on several occasions. With photos of an ad for CLOUD Vol.2 appearing on the Internet, the excitement rose yet again. The ad was revealed to be for a book, although details about its contents have not yet been released.Rumors surfaced again due to photos of a Best Buy ad stating that the game was to be released on August 16, 2008.

Final Fantasy VII was released on the PlayStation network for PS3 and PSP in 2009 with Japan's release in April and the US and Europe following in June. It costs $9.99 in the US and £7.99 in the UK and has remained rated T for Teen by the ESRB.

In December of 2009, Tetsuya Nomura hinted that an announcement is to come sometime in 2010 which promised a game that is highly requested by fans - some of which have personally requested it from him, and the reaction he expects from the announcement is downright huge. Again this led to immense speculation of a Final Fantasy VII remake.

In January of 2010, Tetsuya Nomura followed up on his previous statement stating "Fans are looking forward to an often rumored remake of Final Fantasy VII, but I don't believe this will happen for the time being." For some this seemed like the end, but others argue that "for the time being" means a remake could surface in the future.

In February 2010, Yoshinori Kitase stated that maybe he would like to take part in a remake of Final Fantasy VIIin the future, but it was clear that it was not in his immediate plan.

At the beginning of March 2010, Square Enix asked the public, on its official Twitter blog, what they would think of a remake.

On March 22, 2010, Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada stated that the company would "explore the possibility - whether or not we're going to do it, if we're going to do it, and the platform."

On May 31, 2010, Square Enix's CEO Yoichi Wada stated it would take longer than he is prepared to invest in a single project to be able to remake Final Fantasy VII. However, since Square Enix receives so many requests for a remake, the prospect for a remake has not been completely ruled out.

Edited by turbojet

I can imagine the budget to remake FF7 in HD would be massive and take quite a bit of time, considering how long that game was.

Meh, it'll happen eventually. I'm more concerned about when they'll finally make Kingdom Hearts 3.

STOP MAKING SIDE TITLES!

Am I the other person-

Technically Revenant Wings was a sequel but it wasn't really up my street.

But man I love XII...........

I want them to remake it and leave out Vaan because that's how they were planning the game till they realized they didn't have any asexual cherubs heads on bizarrely manly bodies.

• Thumbs Up 2

The reason it doesn't exist is due to the gravity of making a game like that in High Definition with up to date graphics. Why do people think FF XIII was a straight line?

big wall o' text

They may have been hinting, even "considering" one and kind of fooled the masses into believing a remake would be made, but they still technically never announced for definite, a remake.

Edited by LunarEdge

Seems lately that a lot of major game companies seem to be acting more and more like politicians.

and when I say that...I mean fucking retarded.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really wasn't even expecting it to be out anyway. It'll probably happen, just not soon. Well at least we get a Kingdom hearts HD collection!:D Speaking of Kingdom hearts...

Meh, it'll happen eventually. I'm more concerned about when they'll finally make Kingdom Hearts 3.

STOP MAKING SIDE TITLES!

Aside from COM,358/2 Days and Coded I found the other ones pretty essential to the plot. KH3D in particular. It's not a side title. Just because it doesn't have kingdom hearts 3 in it's name doesn't mean it's not important or a major game.

The reason it doesn't exist is due to the gravity of making a game like that in High Definition with up to date graphics. Why do people think FF XIII was a straight line?

Plenty of good looking, varied HD games with reasonable budgets out there disprove this line of thinking.

There's quite a few talented studios out there more than capable of remaking FFVII with triple A production values at a standard cost. And they'd save on production and planning stages since that part's already done.

If S-E cannot do so, it's because of their continuous incompetence and staff mismanagement.

Not getting the "straight line" criticism here. Pretty much every FF is a bunch of interconnected rooms and FFVII is no different. If XIII had less exits per room that's a conscious design decision.

I want them to remake it and leave out Vaan because that's how they were planning the game till they realized they didn't have any asexual cherubs heads on bizarrely manly bodies.

Or at least give him a shirt. His design in spinoffs like his appearence in the later Tactics games looks so much better just because they gave him a shirt.

You've got to bear in mind that remakes of most other Final Fantasies (such as III and IV) have been for less powerful consoles such as the GBA and DS - and the GBA ones were enhanced ports, more than anything. Supoosedly, X is receiving a full-fledged remake, though where it's a much smaller game than VII, it stands to reason that it would be easier to do so. (And let's face it: X also really needs it. Not quite as much as FF7, but lawd, the script and voice acting were simply awful.) FF7, huge as it is, would probably take years to remake at the highest quality possible, as Square has already pointed out. Of course, I doubt people would be as angry about this if Square actually seemed like they were putting that amount of effort into the most recent FF's. Then again, there's always Versus XIII, whenever the frick that gets released.

In all honesty, I don't mind all too much. I'm one of the few people who enjoys the old graphics and I think it's best that SE try to escape the shadow of FF7. Granted, they'll do a remake eventually, but while they're on a roll with XIII-2 I think it's best they try to give the FF brand some worth again.

Square has great game designers working there. The problem are the people in charge. Yoshinori Kitase,the guy in charge of Final Fantasy is a lazy idiot that only cares about his "interactive movies"...let's face it,that's what FFXIII was. Also they have got what has to be the worst marketing department ever,that just won't show anything from Versus even when there's nothing else to show. Right now these 4 guys are the only reason to still care:

11335-nomura_large.jpg

Tetsuya Nomura,creator/director of the Kingdom Hearts games and now director of FF Versus XIII,which is attempting to be a classic world map style ff(Thank You!).This is why we won't get a FFVII HD remake. Creating a classic style ff in HD takes too long as the development of Versus proves. He joined Square in the late 80s and worked on FF4(and pretty much all FFs afterward) so he knows how Final Fantasy should be.

worldends_staff.jpg

From left to right: Tomohiro Hasegawa (Dissidia FF games), Tatsuya Kando (The World Ends With You), and Takeshi Arakawa (Compilation of FFVII).

They also have key roles in other games like Nomura still being the character designer of pretty much every Square game nowadays and Tatsuya Kando being the lead animator of the KH series. Right now they're working on Versus XIII.

Together with most of the FF9 staff(Yeah the FF9 team actually became the KH team,explaining why such a crazy concept ended up being awesome) they basically are known by the fanbase as the "Kingdom Hearts Team". If you ask me,all you have to do is put them in charge of the Final Fantasy Series and it will solve the problem since their storytelling and game design are so much better than Kitase and Motomu Toriyama(Director of FFXIII & FFXIII-2), with "The World Ends With You" being their masterpiece in my opinion.

And that's my take on the matter: Square sucks right now,but it doesn't have to. Just like Bob Iger put John Lasseter in charge of Disney Animation, Somebody at Square needs to realise that they have all the answers to their problems right under their noses.

Edited by pppp

Fuck FFVII, I want another Chrono game, damn it.

Considering the one we (well, everybody outside the PAL region) got included the pointless death of every single playable character in Trigger (except Ayla - lucky her), I think it's a good thing the Chrono series doesn't get any more sequels.

Unless said sequel undid those incredibly stupid pointless deaths. Fuck Chrono Cross.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

No Final Fantasy VII Remake Until Original Has Been Topped

http://andriasang.com/con1ny/wada_on_ffvii_remake/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

During the Q&A session of the company's annual shareholder's briefing (transcribed here), Wada was asked the expected question about the much wanted remake. His response was something to the effect of, we'll make a Final Fantasy VII remake once we've made a Final Fantasy game that exceeds the quality of FFVII.

If you get the feeling that this statement belittles Square Enix's current development prowess, you're pretty much spot on. Wada admitted that at present, the company is not making Final Fantasy games that exceed the quality of FFVII. If they were to release a 7 remake right now, the FF franchise would be done with, he said.

I'm not even big a Final Fantasy fan, but that was just a stupid thing to say.

Sorry FFVII fans.

Well at least we don't have to worry about them managing that any time soon.

The only hope is Versus, really. and that has an ETA of never

Oh, cool. I guess we should be expecting that FFVII remake sometime around eleven years ago.

FF9? tongue.png

Oh damn, i'm getting Chocobo Hot and Cold flashes... Must... Resist... Mashing that... SQUARE.

His response was something to the effect of, we'll make a Final Fantasy VII remake once we've made a Final Fantasy game that exceeds the quality of FFVII.

You already did. Before VII even existed.

It's called Final Fantasy VI.

• Thumbs Up 1