Awoo.

What character is in most need of character developement?

John F. Kennedy

if you ask me, I'd have to say Sonic. He's kind of stil lthe same character since the series started. He's shown some signs of character progression in satbk, but that's all that I can see. He should try showig more emotions other than edgy-ness and curiosity.

I kind of really like Sonic as the dick he is now. We don't need emotions, this isn't a soap opera, and Sonic isn't about story. I'm just glad he's not spouting lines like "THIS IS HAPPENIN" or "SUPER POWER OF TEAMWORK" anymore. He's just a teenager, minus the angst, double the attitude, and he should stay that way.

Character most in need of development, though? Definitely Eggman. If anyone needs a backstory/motive/etc., it's the good doctor himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Might as well not even have characters, then!

I didn't mean it literally. Look at the comic. Sonic constantly BAWS over Sally(until recently, thank God). That's TOO MUCH emotion. In a game for children (which is, at heart, what Sonic was and should be now), the only emotions you need are happiness, anger, and bein' a pretty cool guy. Sadness can make an appearance every once in a while, but nothing should be happening that makes Sonic and his bros sad anyway (besides the rape and exploitation of their animal friends).

Sarcasm, it's what's for dinner.

EDIT: Jeez, wish I could post a single sentence and get a thousand rep points for it.

Edited by HyperMetal
  • Thumbs Up 1

Eggman himself of course.

We know a little about his backstory thanks to SA2, but I'd really love to see more. When did he shift from an impressionable youngster enamored with his grandfather's legacy to the maniacal madman he is today? We know what motivated his foray into science (Professor Gerald), but I'd really like to see what sparked his descent to villainy.

Edited by Egghead
  • Thumbs Up 5

After seeing the incredibly one-dimensional portrayals of them in Generations, I think it's safe to say all of them. I mean, you can literally describe the entire of each character in that games personality in a few words. Tails = admiring side-kick, Amy = overenthusiastic obsessive etc.

I think the only character that was improved on was Knuckles, they kinda moved him away from his the 'angry stupid guy' thing they've had going for a few years and sorta retraced back to his 'wise yet dim' remeniscant of Adventure/2.

If I had to pick one however, I'd definately say Amy. Being one of the more featured characters they really need to give her some other motivation other than being madly in love with Sonic. Sure, that's what she's known for, but it'd be nice to see her perhaps grow some independance away from him, perhaps even trying to impress him by being a hero herself. Just not this annoying little girl, the Minni Mouse voice soooo doesn't help, who is just a tad bit..creepy.

Apart from that i'd say Shadow and Rouge. It'd be nice to see their 'friendship' come into fruitition a bit more, with Rouge coaxing Shadow out of his angsty shell and Shadow maybe influencing Rouge to stop being such a jewelwhore.

/fan-fic-character-development♥

Now of course, not all up for them trying to do the serious plots again. But I think if they had some really clever writing, they could certainly weave the game's narrative with a bit of character fleshing out.

Edited by Wordy
  • Thumbs Up 1

After seeing the incredibly one-dimensional portrayals of them in Generations, I think it's safe to say all of them. I mean, you can literally describe the entire of each character in that games personality in a few words. Tails = admiring side-kick, Amy = overenthusiastic obsessive etc.

I think the only character that was improved on was Knuckles, they kinda moved him away from his the 'angry stupid guy' thing they've had going for a few years and sorta retraced back to his 'wise yet dim' remeniscant of Adventure/2.

If I had to pick one however, I'd definately say Amy. Being one of the more featured characters they really need to give her some other motivation other than being madly in love with Sonic. Sure, that's what she's known for, but it'd be nice to see her perhaps grow some independance away from him, perhaps even trying to impress him by being a hero herself. Just not this annoying little girl, the Minni Mouse voice soooo doesn't help, who is just a tad bit..creepy.

Apart from that i'd say Shadow and Rouge. It'd be nice to see their 'friendship' come into fruitition a bit more, with Rouge coaxing Shadow out of his angsty shell and Shadow maybe influencing Rouge to stop being such a jewelwhore.

/fan-fic-character-development♥

Now of course, not all up for them trying to do the serious plots again. But I think if they had some really clever writing, they could certainly weave the game's narrative with a bit of character fleshing out.

I actually agree on your point with Shadow and Rouge, Amy too. What you basically described was her Heroes and DX personna. Instead of chasing him and looking from the window, she tried doing someting herself that would get his attention and I lilked that.

Then Unleashed happened.

Amy's persona could use a little love. Remember that vow she made in adventure to not just be a go-getter and to have Sonic respect her? What happened to that. I think the exchanges could be interesting with showing her not be a push over when Sonic blows her off. adds some maturity to her personality; it'll go a long way to helping her out.

Another character I would like to see some refinement would be Rouge's personality. Expand her abilities a little. Give her a bit of a level in badass when it comes to cutscenes. Her appearances should still be minimal of course, but yeah...things like that.

Shadow should just do what makes Dark Pit interesting in Uprising. Make him a hedgehog that "does not need Sonic" When he teams up, make Shadow look badass in comparison. Well, at least to the point where he does not have time to make one-liners. That will go a long way in fleshing out Shadow's personality and bring back why many of us liked his character to begin with: he was Sonic if he would cut straight to the chase.

Big the Cat. Hmmmm....Something needs to be done about him. But not yet.

Tails...Keep doing what you're doing. Keep being snarky towards sonic. It works. As for Sonic himself, he just needs a few refinements. They currently have the right idea, but now just need to flush it out more. add moments where he would talk normally about the situation to break up his usual tone to things. Give him moments when he would be mellow about it when Tails sees it as a more serious matter. There are a lot of places that it could go, but there's an idea.

Cream the Rabbit could be a really neat character if done right. She may appear "shoed-in", but to me, is probably one of the fewer characters that makes sense in a classic Sonic environment, with blaze in a close second when it comes to pure ability. Afterall, the basic Sonic premise was Sonic rescuing innocent animals from Dr. Eggman. Cream is kinda one of those animals considering she was "rescued" in Advanced 2. Also, I think she would make a good foil for Eggman every once in a while, since she's so polite and all that. Some humor could spring from that.

That's all I can think of for now. If played right, they could really make some of these characters shine, and even make some better received for the better.

Edit: Oh yeah, Knuckles. See?, this is why you need to get back into the game. I almost forgot about you! :P

Edited by the blu blur
  • Thumbs Up 2

Amy would be a good answer to a question like this, but whenever this issue comes to the surface I feel that Amy would benefit more from consistency than any additional character development. All the traits we would want to see developed in Amy have been admirably done in the past. The groundwork for a solid Amy was laid in Sonic Adventure 1 & 2. Its just that in the time since, Amy has pinball-ed her personally to every extreme possible.

She doesn’t need any more character development. She needs to fall back on what was once established and stay there.

I also like how many people in here are mentioning Rouge. Minor character or not, she has gotten quite a bit aways from the jewel thief that she was introduced to be. While her interactions with Shadow have been positive for both characters, Rouge will need to re-establish herself as an individual. Her status as a GUN agent and Shadow’s friend have overpowered the self made and calculating image that makes Rouge such a great character. As nice as it is for Shadow to have someone he can bounce dialog off of, this Bat needs go go solo every now and again to fortify the notion that she is in it for herself. A touch of character development on that front would be much appreciated. Rouge never talks about her motives, beyond “I want that” so it would be nice to see a little about her mindset every now and again.

Another character worth delving into would be Dr. Nega…. While his situation is up in the air at the moment, his madman personality is extremely captivating. Especially so if you put him next to Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 3

I also like how many people in here are mentioning Rouge. Minor character or not, she has gotten quite a bit aways from the jewel thief that she was introduced to be. While her interactions with Shadow have been positive for both characters, Rouge will need to re-establish herself as an individual. Her status as a GUN agent and Shadow’s friend have overpowered the self made and calculating image that makes Rouge such a great character. As nice as it is for Shadow to have someone he can bounce dialog off of, this Bat needs go go solo every now and again to fortify the notion that she is in it for herself. A touch of character development on that front would be much appreciated. Rouge never talks about her motives, beyond “I want that” so it would be nice to see a little about her mindset every now and again.

It'd probably help if Shadow's antisocial tendencies were played up a bit more; like have him come and go as he pleases and only interact with Rouge when he can.

Knuckles. They gotten a bit better, but his potential, if tapped properly, can be better than even Sonic himself.

Sonic has no flaws.

He could use some.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic has no flaws.

He could use some.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman himself of course.

We know a little about his backstory thanks to SA2, but I'd really love to see more. When did he shift from an impressionable youngster enamored with his grandfather's legacy to the maniacal madman he is today? We know what motivated his foray into science (Professor Gerald), but I'd really like to see what sparked his descent to villainy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Definitely Amy. She can still be in love with sonic but just have her act more mature about it instead of being an annoying fangirl about it. Also, remember in Chronicles how she was the was kinda like the mother hen of the group? I'd like to see that side of her more in games.

Sonic has a truckload of Character flaws. More often then not, these flaws help drive the story and they have often landed Sonic in hot water.

Uh. We're not talking about the games now, are we?...

He was talking the games, what were you talking about?

Amy and Silver need some good serious development. Amy because she's been around for so long, yet has never had any decent development in any Sonic game. Really she's been portrayed as not much more than Sonic's rabid fangirl. Silver because he was so badly executed in 06, then was erased from continuity. However, he still appears in a few games now so if they're going to continue the canon and have Silver involved they can actually give him some more of a personality and not make him a complete moron.

• Thumbs Up 5

Silver because he was so badly executed in 06, then was erased from continuity. However, he still appears in a few games now so if they're going to continue the canon and have Silver involved they can actually give him some more of a personality

Yeah, this. Going by what we have seen in the actuall games, Silver practically doesn't have a personality. He is a character defined solely by his powers and by circumstances surrounding him.

Personally, beyond giving him some personality i also vote for pairing him up with Blaze again, since that would give him someone to socialize with on a regular basis.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to have to say Amy, big time. Its not so much she needs character development, its that she needs to remember what her character development was, its like after the Adventure games, she completely forgot about her vow to stop relying on Sonic, and actually try impress him with her own skills instead being completely obsessive about him to the point of coming of as a stalker. Its not so much I hate how much affection she shows Sonic, that's a given, its that she does nothing else but that, and only that. Their interactions are predictable and really add nothing to either character; Amy fangirls, Sonic scrams and then they more or less ignore each other for the rest of the story, boring.

You could have a story where Amy tries to prove to Sonic that she can handle herself, and have Sonic gain new found respect for her as a result, and maybe not be so prone to avoiding her all of the time, and actually *gasp* start to like her as a friend?(or more if you want to throw some ship tease in there) I mean really, it'd be a great subplot, at least to me.

Yeah, this. Going by what we have seen in the actuall games, Silver practically doesn't have a personality. He is a character defined solely by his powers and by circumstances surrounding him.

Personally, beyond giving him some personality i also vote for pairing him up with Blaze again, since that would give him someone to socialize with on a regular basis.

That wouldn't really solve the problem, it would just make Silver even more defined by something else instead of his own merit.

Silver just needs a better established character beyond "Guy who's from the future" is all, I mean he has who bunch of listed character traits, but we've never really seen them in action, or at least to a positive effect.

Edited by The Batman
  • Thumbs Up 7

Indeed we are.

Sonic's character flaws in the game-verse are both many and well documented. Its easy to get blinded by his plot armor and his heroism qualities, but underneath all that Sonic has time and time again displayed quite a few not so admirable qualities.