Awoo.

Yuji Naka - Sonic titles are NOT as fun, wants to return to Sonic Team in the future

Autosaver

I can get basically the same amount of fun playing Colors and Generations or playing Sonic 2 and S3&K.

But that's just me, naturally.

But don't get me wrong though I'm completely open to the games being more challenging.

Edited by The Groosenator
  • Thumbs Up 6

Yeah I read the article just before, unfortunately a lot of people will probably misquote him or take what he said out of context to mean "NEW SONIC LE SUCK XDD".

Maybe Naka still cares about Sonic? It was kinda nice to hear him say he was interested in maybe returning someday..

A healthy rivalry between Mario and Sonic would be, well.. healthy. But they co-exist too much nowadays to compete, Mario's games are totally out of Sonic's league. If Sonic Team actually tried to match Mario's level of quality they may well just fall flat on their faces.

Or maybe not, but it's hard for them to be motivated to win when they make tons of money from Nintendo systems.

Why did he even leave in the first place? He pretty much lefted Sonic biting the dust during the development of Sonic 06. Also how heavily involved was he in during the 2000's?

It doesn't matter to me all that much if he's thinking about returning to Sonic Team. If he returns then great. If not then oh well.

Edited by sonfan1984

"Today's games are created to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible, so that's why the difficulty levels are so low in order to have both experienced and non-experienced gamers be able to play them."

Correct me if I wrong what weren't the first Sonic games design around this concept where the difficulty was design so experienced and non-experienced gamers will be able to play and enjoy Sonic?

He should work on their next 2D game. I am not one to mention Dimps, but Sonic 4 Episode II finally made me realize how much they just don't know how to make a proper Sonic game.

They make other things that are satisfying like Street Fighter 4, some of the DBZ games and etc. But the last time I honestly 100% enjoyed a Sonic game by Dimps was Sonic Advance 1, after that it really went down hill in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mario & Sonic to edge eachother? What are they going to do now, arm wrestle?

Edited by Winston

What I really think is that Sonic games are being catered more at younger audiences (relating to the whole difficulty thing). I read a post on here saying Mario is totally out of Sonic's League. I don't think so. I still think Generations and Sonic Colors are quality games. Infact I think alot of games are great. The quality is there for the most part. Its just the ideas are mixed and need to be placed right. Stuff that made the classics good, memorable, and just plain awesome. Sonic is the fastest out of the 2 [Mario]. Sega needs to step there game up, before Sonic is completely overrun. Frankly, I don't really like Mario titles. I think they are just slow and uninteresting to me. But that's just me, don't kill me. It's just why I prefer Sonic. The rivalry reboot Naka Mentioned would definitely help Sonic alot. That is the main reason why Sonic was created. To go up against Nintendo. But of course, we know that can't happen anymore.

"Sonic games these days are too easy."

I've been thinking this forever.

I dunno, I think Episode 2 is kinda difficult (for the wrong reasons) but that's because of the stupid level design choices and the stages always seem to have some kind of 'fuck you instant death' moment in them.

Edited by sonfan1984

While I like that he shows interest in coming back to Sonic Team, but on the other subjects he talked about, Mario and Sonic rekindling their rivalry, while a charming thought, isn't really in the question anymore.

What makes a good rivalry is their competition to sell both games and consoles. Sonic and Mario are on two wildly different playing fields now. While Nintendo could use some healthy competition, Sonic simply can't compete.

Personally, I think Sonic Generations had a perfect difficulty level, but would have greatly benefitted from (well-designed, not just spike-spam) hard mode levels for us veterans.

I dunno, I think Episode 2 is kinda hard but that's because of the level design and the stages always have some kind of 'fuck you' moment in them.

I don't necessarily find it hard, there are just a lot of random moments where the designers think you should instantly die randomly.

I'd say I want him to return, but then I look at his recent games... I dunno. Maybe with a large budget he still has it in him?

I'd say I want him to return, but then I look at his recent games... I dunno. Maybe with a large budget he still has it in him?

What are his his recent games?

What are his his recent games?

A game involving Kiwi birds, another game involving suspiciously color coded pigs running down a track, and the relatively unknown Rodea the Sky Soldier, which for some reason seems to have vanished off the face of the earth.

So basically, all he's credited as saying is that Sonic games are too easy nowadays? I mostly agree with him in that respect, but I'm not sure he's making a particularly profound point that the community hasn't made already ten times over.

Yeah I read the article just before, unfortunately a lot of people will probably misquote him or take what he said out of context to mean "NEW SONIC LE SUCK XDD".

How can you read it such that that isn't what he's saying?

Because a lot of people are idiots.

Edit: Actually, I think I might have misread your post. See, point proven, right now, with me.

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 2

Because of what Hogfather said, basically. Naka's opinion on Sonic wasn't quoted at all despite saying they were too easy, the interviewer just over-sensationalised the article by putting words into Naka's mouth.

• Thumbs Up 4