Awoo.

Yuji Naka - Sonic titles are NOT as fun, wants to return to Sonic Team in the future

Autosaver

I actually feel for Naka. Hopefully he'll come back to the team and start development on a Sonic Adventure 3, but that's just me.

So developing an SA3 will suddenly make the games more challenging? It's not like SA1 and SA2 are hard games anyway.

I actually feel for Naka. Hopefully he'll come back to the team and start development on a Sonic Adventure 3, but that's just me.

Edited by Dark Energon Johnny
  • Thumbs Up 1

Edited by Enigmatus
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would love to see Yuji Naka return!

maybe then he can make Sonic games as epic as S3&K again, and include other playable characters while still keeping true to the core gameplay, like Tails and Knuckles did in 3&K!

• 1 month later...

Totally agreed. If this means darker stories, more playables, and the end of Super Hyper Sonic Unleashed Alpha Ex Plus a Revision A HD Third Strike Giant Attack Arcade Turbo The Movie, then I'm in.

Totally agreed. If this means darker stories, more playables, and the end of Super Hyper Sonic Unleashed Alpha Ex Plus a Revision A HD Third Strike Giant Attack Arcade Turbo The Movie, then I'm in.

And here we go with THIS again..I'm not even gonna start.

If Yuji did return, what would really change anyway? Iizuka would still call the shots anyway wouldn't he?

Story doesn't need to be darker, just better in the writing of characters and their interaction, more interesting plot (or at least less restrictive and safe), and better intertwining the story into the gameplay.

Edited by Enigmatus
  • Thumbs Up 3

Someone's a Capcom fan I see. I see what you did there. XD

Story doesn't need to be darker, just better in the writing of characters and their interaction, more interesting plot (or at least less restrictive and safe), and better intertwining the story into the gameplay.

This is true, but dark elements don't need to be shunned like the plague, either. Look at some old Disney movies. Considered family entertainment, but they had some of the darkest elements my childhood witness -- murder, fraud, theft, autocracy monarchy.

Sonic just needs to approach dark elements in a tasteful way. Of course, not overdo it either. We don't want another GTA-Esque-hog.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is true, but dark elements don't need to be shunned like the plague, either. Look at some old Disney movies. Considered family entertainment, but they had some of the darkest elements my childhood witness -- murder, fraud, theft, autocracy monarchy.

Sonic just needs to approach dark elements in a tasteful way. Of course, not overdo it either. We don't want another GTA-Esque-hog.

I know what you are saying, and I do like the idea, but considering Sonic Team's general track record for story execution, even the super barebone ones, I'm a little wary, because I REALLY don't want to give certain groups more fuel to say "Sonic should have no story whatsoever".

Edited by Enigmatus
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know what you are saying, and I do like the idea, but considering Sonic Team's general track record for story execution, even the super barebone ones, I'm a little wary, because I REALLY don't want to give certain groups more fuel to say "Sonic should have no story whatsoever".

you're right about this.

Perhaps they could take a semi science-fiction approach? That meaning that science fiction tends to disguise real issues with aliens, monsters, ect.

Now, I don't know how far this will go into other mediums, but perhaps we can replace any matter of death of a chartacter with something else that can still be impacting? Say Tails meets his parents and then Eggman takes them away from him. Roboticization could be executed in actual games, or teleporting them to a different dimension, or generally whatever.

That way, we can have darkness of Tails losing his parents (again? maybe?), without the too cheesy idea of Sonic having death in game. Of course, it'd have to still be executed properly without looking ridicilous. Soooooo.... I dunno.

Edited by WIttyUsername

I think it's more making the story fit the characters rather than the characters fitting the story. They just tried to make the existing cartoony characters fit with grimdark Shadow and over the top dramatic 06, while in Colours and Generations they overdid the tone a bit.

I mean it's like the forced romance in 06 with Sonic and Elise... just making Sonic fit the plot rather than designing the plot around the series itself... what they did to Sonic in that game is disgusting, especially when he abandons Amy to go get some human poontang while leaving her to deal with a psychotic Silver who he didn't know Amy was friends with and that Sonic himself could not beat.

But I think we're going a little off topic here now.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it's more making the story fit the characters rather than the characters fitting the story. They just tried to make the existing cartoony characters fit with grimdark Shadow and over the top dramatic 06, while in Colours and Generations they overdid the tone a bit.

I mean it's like the forced romance in 06 with Sonic and Elise... just making Sonic fit the plot rather than designing the plot around the series itself... what they did to Sonic in that game is disgusting, especially when he abandons Amy to go get some human poontang while leaving her to deal with a psychotic Silver who he didn't know Amy was friends with and that Sonic himself could not beat.

But I think we're going a little off topic here now.

Humans and Sonic don't mix. Exploring that route really was a mistake. SEGA should stick to animals, the only human should be Dr Eggman. I would rather Mobius be named as the planet that Sonic lives on and not Earth.

Humans and Sonic don't mix. Exploring that route really was a mistake. SEGA should stick to animals, the only human should be Dr Eggman.
Nope, humans and Sonic don't mix. Can't have Eggman, he's a human. Gotta get rid of him.
  • Thumbs Up 4

There is no way in heck that Naka would make Adventure 3 of all things if he were to come back. He's remembered for his 2D programming, not for overseeing a bunch of 3D games he had barely any actual involvement in.

Nope, humans and Sonic don't mix. Can't have Eggman, he's a human. Gotta get rid of him.

Diogenes makes a good point. If you are going to generalize and claim all humans are bad, then you gotta include Eggman as well, since he is a human too (I think, since he does seem to be able to defy the laws of physics with that body shape).

Humans and Sonic don't mix. Exploring that route really was a mistake. SEGA should stick to animals, the only human should be Dr Eggman. I would rather Mobius be named as the planet that Sonic lives on and not Earth.

Unless the plot is good.

There is no way in heck that Naka would make Adventure 3 of all things if he were to come back. He's remembered for his 2D programming, not for overseeing a bunch of 3D games he had barely any actual involvement in.

So who oversaw the creation of the Adventure games?

*Sigh* I hate to say it, but I lost some respect for Yuji Naka after he abandoned his franchise. IMO, I think he only wants to come back because Sonic's getting better. Please don't flame me, it's just personal opinion. I'm not saying the man wasn't an innovator I just lost some respect for the guy.

I also think he may be living in the past with his fondness for the whole Mario VS Sonic Rivalry