Awoo.

Sonic in a Nike commercial

Linkabel

This morning I woke up to a text from a friend saying that Sonic came up in a Sonic commercial. Before I even looked up the commercial I went to 1up.com and came across this blog talking about the commercial.

For some soccer fans you will certainly recognize many players that come out in the commercial (I certainly did). Though the interesting part is when Sonic comes out:

post-2857-0-69332800-1337383151_thumb.jp

He only comes out for a little bit (So don't expect a commercial with Sonic running around with nike shoes) but for those who saw the image will notice that "vapor" part. "Vapor" is actually the Nike Mercury Vaporwhich is a lightweight boot for soccer strikers and runners. So the question is: Is Sega going to use Sonic in this campaign to promote the shoe? Keep in mind this video is the start of the campaign. What do you think they are going to do? What would you like to see?

Also here is the video for those who want to see it, Sonic comes out around at the beginning of 2:35:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMv8g8CO4cQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Credit to my friend and "BigMex" from 1up for the information!

EDIT: A hidden game has been found go to this link and around 1:55 you'll see the Nike Vapor shoes pictured on a wall. Click 'em to start a Sonic 1 Hack! Thanks to SonikkuForever for finding this out!

Edited by TheBlueWind
  • Thumbs Up 7

So Sonic will be wearing Vapors in the next big game like he wore Soaps in SA2

Edited by Prince Solaris

Sonic Strikers confirmed?

Edit:

The real question here is why am I now tempted to buy a pair of soccer cleats that I'll never need.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Well, that does it. Sonic is officially back on top! This wasn't the only Sega/Nike promotion, however. Back in the Sonic 3 era, when Knuckles was still being designed, Sega and Nike originally were working on a promotion deal. Knuckles was to have Nike's "swoosh" logo on his chest. The deal ultimately fell through, but Knuckles kept his white patch in a more generic form.

Also, it seems like the Nike Vapors were advertised using words like "Super Sonic", so I can see where the idea came from.

Edited by SonikkuForever

So Sonic will be wearing Vapors in the next big game like he wore Soaps in SA2

Well unless there is a Sonic game later this year which most, most, most likely won't happen I don't think this is the case. Maybe a little flash game with Sonic using them is a possibility though or just artwork or something like that.

The real question here is why am I now tempted to buy a pair of soccer cleats that I'll never need.

That's marketing for ya

Oh! It's a hidden game! First, go to Nike's official Youtube here, then go about 2/3rds of the way into the video, where you'll see the Nike Vapor shoes pictured on a wall. Click 'em to start a rather polished Sonic 1 hack!

• Thumbs Up 8

Heh, these Vapor shoes even look like the Gem Shoes from '06

mercurial-branding_original_colour.png

Although it's most likely just a very small contract between Nike and SEGA to allow the use of Sonic in this commercial, I'd actually love to see something come of this ala SA2 and SOAP.

Will be quite interested to see what the final product looks like, in the advert, theres a few shoes that look a little like Sonic's, but not exactly like them. Also will be interested to see how many more of these adverts pop up since it's Euro 2012 soon.

Oh and, I have news'd SoNike the Hedgehog.

However as Lucky pointed out to me when I was doing this update... It's not the first time Sega and Nike have teamed up. Ok so those are fan made... meh shut up I've got the flu...

sonic-nike.jpg

Oh they look so... so...

Oh! It's a hidden game! First, go to Nike's official Youtube here, then go about 2/3rds of the way into the video, where you'll see the Nike Vapor shoes pictured on a wall. Click 'em to start a rather polished Sonic 1 hack!

Great find! I knew it was going to be something like that, I will put in the OP so people will know.

Yep, i found it too. Its a nice little game.

post-112-0-14237800-1337387035_thumb.png

Unlock it by activating the Tunnel Moment at the 1:55 mark (in the video in OP’s post - but you have to do it over on Nike's youtube). That opens the way to a webgame involving Sonic. Running and jumping and smashing badnicks with Soccer balls. All while wearing the Vapor.

pretty cool.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Anybody able to provide a direct link for those of us with crappy PCs that wont even load the video, please?

• Thumbs Up 2

It's the 20th Anniversary iPhone game with a 16-bit coat of paint. Nice!

• Thumbs Up 6

Anybody able to provide a direct link for those of us with crappy PCs that wont even load the video, please?

Sorry dude try to do but couldn't sad.png

Aw that little game is really neat! I love the way it says "VAAAPOOOR"

Yeah that part was great!

Also as a side note wieden +kennedy the people behind the marketing are notorious for always reaching out to different demographics and always picking the most populars things from them in order to attract people. In this case they are trying to reach out to the videogame community and them choosing Sonic should tell you something biggrin.png

In this case they are trying to reach out to the videogame community and them choosing Sonic should tell you something biggrin.png

That we shall buy anything with Sonic's face on it!

lol seriously, if this was a Sonic themed boot, I'd be tempted, even though I don't and havn't played football since I was 16.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm working on it now...

pc.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm working on it now...

pc.jpg

Even though I've got the game to work now, cheers! It'll be great to archive this somehow.

It's a fun little thing. I always did want to try out that iPhone game. So how would you guys react to an in-game licensing deal where Sonic wore Nike Vapor shoes?

Alright, I've got it ripped! It's not a perfect rip by any means, but it is playable despite a few bugs. I'll see if I can get a better one later on, but this is better than nothing!

Glitches:

After Sonic starts to move, he'll turn invisible and stop running. You need to right-click on the game, and if you're using Adobe flash player like I am, a drop-down menu should appear. Click "play" instead of "loop" to get Sonic moving again. But he'll still be invisible, so run him into the first motobug (or any badnik) and he'll become visible. From that point on, the game plays normally. Also, the menu text is corrupted, but it doesn't affect gameplay. To restart the game, you'll have to refresh your computer's address bar because the "play again" button is broken. But again, the game is playable.

Download here!

Edited by SonikkuForever
  • Thumbs Up 4

Holy shit, that's pretty awesome! I suck at the minigame though......

I suck at the minigame though......

Me too. Guess it's because I'm not used to playing via the keyboard...oh well. I'll try again another day.

Anyway, this was a nice find! Sonic being in a Nike commerical was a nice surprise and a great idea too as it's always nice to see Sonic receive some public exposure, even if it is for a "Super Sonic" second...wink.png

First Sonic was in a Progressive commercial, now Nike...I wonder where we will see Sonic next? Sega's got the right idea marketing Sonic like this...yes, put him out there! I hope they do it more often and soon!