Awoo.

Sonic in a Nike commercial

Linkabel

So, what, he's in it for a quarter of a second? Who cares. It's nothing.

EDIT: Apparently it isn't. Wow. Still don't care, though.

Edited by HyperMetal

Was I really the only person expecting sonic to just fly out of the crowd and score? I know I'm not the only.

>.>

<.<

Guess so.

• Thumbs Up 4

Irrelevant of the little minigame (which I still haven't figured out how to run), this is a really cool commercial.

Edit: Yeah. Minigame is pretty cool.

Edited by Tornado

The commercial is great, the minigame is fun. I also learned that they tried to do with Sneijder what they did with my cousin...the difference is that if my cousin was a bit more persistant, he'd have made it for sure :(

The Nike commercials and the overall campaign sounds pretty interesting (I'll assume this is probably one huge tie-in with the 2012 Olympics), and the minigame is fun to play too. I also find it hilarious that whoever created this game has at least some sense of classic physics, considering that in some instances Sonic actually does gain height when he destroys multiple badniks. XD

Also, in one of the other clickable links in the video (the locker room scene), it takes you to a really big explorable room with a bunch of Nike products you can click on and some of the soccer players and other people from the video in there doing random things. When looking around, I saw a familiar silhouette:

sonicnike.png

Which (along with the minigame) got me thinking: is Sega going to start using the classic model again/more (to the point that they use it) in tandem with the modern design for marketing purposes (especially considering how well-recieved the return of the classic design in Generations was)? It probably could bring Sega in some much needed revenue. After all, two recognizable designs of the same character are arguably better than one, I guess.

Edited by Top Cat
  • Thumbs Up 5

They used modern Sonic for that car insurance commercial, looks like they'll just use any Sonic they feel like using.

That we shall buy anything with Sonic's face on it!

lol seriously, if this was a Sonic themed boot, I'd be tempted, even though I don't and havn't played football since I was 16.

Yeah I know what you mean, probably will see if the vapor is worth it since next semester I want to join a soccer team in the city.

And about the classic Sonic design I agree with OlenJimi in that they use whatever design they want to. But I think they chose classic Sonic because it's the most well known for people that know Sonic and for those who forgot about him in the 90s and might see him again in the commercial.

Edited by TheBlueWind

It's cool to see some of the Dutch soccer team, not that I'm that much into this sport besides watching the World- and Euro Championships, it still makes me feel proud in some way. :P

The mini game is fun, I think it would be great if Sonic would sport a pair of Vapors in the next canon game.

Alright, I've got it ripped! It's not a perfect rip by any means, but it is playable despite a few bugs. I'll see if I can get a better one later on, but this is better than nothing!

Almost right, but you still lack a file and haven't set a variable, which are essential for proper running.

The game breaker in this case is the translation.

It tries to load the strings, but fails, which results in the wall of あああああ you're encountering (which is just the placeholder where the text would get copied in) and the pause in-game (that's the part where usually the tutorial kicks in, which of course doesn't work yet).

The missing file is located at http://www.nike.com/.../copy_xx_XX.xml

You just need to change the xes to your language code and load it into the same folder, where your *.swf is.

"en_GB" United Kingdom

"en_US" United States

"en_AU" Australia

"en_NZ" New Zealand

"es_AR" Argentina

"es_ES" Spain

"es_LA" Latin America

"es_MX" Mexico

"fr_FR" France

"de_DE" Germany

"it_IT" Italy

"pl_PL" Poland

"pt_PT" Portugal

"pt_BR" Brazil

"cs_CZ" Czech Republic

"hr_HR" Croatia

"tr_TR" Turkey

"ru_RU" Russia

"uk_UA" Ukraine

"zh_TW" Chinese Simplified

"zh_HK" Chinese Traditional

"ja_JP" Japan

"ko_KR" Korea

"th_TH" Thailand

Afterwards open the file in your browser.

Now add the following string at the end of the link

?locale=xx_XX&xmlurl=copy_xx_XX.xml

And you're done. Have fun!

Hahaha. It's a pretty neat little mini game, pretty cool as I like soccer too, possibly more enjoyable than Sonic 4 episode one, though I wish it didn't have its music in there dry.png Pretty cool how they changed the sprites or made news ones. Is it just me or does Sonic's ears and spikes flap around a little? Seems like they added a few more details to this!

I just find it interesting that Sonic has managed to gain his once had height of popularity again. I mean back in my day I would've expected something like this, but to have it now, in an add for the worlds most popular sport speaks wonders for Sonic himself.

Funny though. Throughout the whole thing I was picturing Tails going "Where the F%$# are my shoes!?!?"

Sonic branded Nike soccer boots anybody? I'd probably buy them!

Almost right, but you still lack a file and haven't set a variable, which are essential for proper running.

The game breaker in this case is the translation.

It tries to load the strings, but fails, which results in the wall of あああああ you're encountering (which is just the placeholder where the text would get copied in) and the pause in-game (that's the part where usually the tutorial kicks in, which of course doesn't work yet).

The missing file is located at http://www.nike.com/.../copy_xx_XX.xml

You just need to change the xes to your language code and load it into the same folder, where your *.swf is.

"en_GB" United Kingdom

"en_US" United States

"en_AU" Australia

"en_NZ" New Zealand

"es_AR" Argentina

"es_ES" Spain

"es_LA" Latin America

"es_MX" Mexico

"fr_FR" France

"de_DE" Germany

"it_IT" Italy

"pl_PL" Poland

"pt_PT" Portugal

"pt_BR" Brazil

"cs_CZ" Czech Republic

"hr_HR" Croatia

"tr_TR" Turkey

"ru_RU" Russia

"uk_UA" Ukraine

"zh_TW" Chinese Simplified

"zh_HK" Chinese Traditional

"ja_JP" Japan

"ko_KR" Korea

"th_TH" Thailand

Afterwards open the file in your browser.

Now add the following string at the end of the link

?locale=xx_XX&xmlurl=copy_xx_XX.xml

And you're done. Have fun!

..........I'm sorry, wait what? How do I "Load" that link into the folder I have the .swf in? I can get Sonnikuforevers glitchy game running, but I don't understand your explaination...? Edited by The-Master-Board

Honestly...this was a great easter egg. And now that I have the bin.file (curtsy of Sonic Retro) I can play it on my laptop without going to the site!

Sonic 4 Episode 1.....ah you keep coming back like flies to a pile of crap....U GOTTA LOVE IT. :P

..........I'm sorry, wait what? How do I "Load" that link into the folder I have the .swf in? I can get Sonnikuforevers glitchy game running, but I don't understand your explaination...?

You could do that with your browser.

For example since you're from Australia and your language code is en_AU, you would go with your browser to http://www.nike.com/.../copy_en_AU.xml and press Strg + S.

A window appears asking you where it should be stored and all you have to do is to save it in the directory you saved the SonicxVapor.swf.

Now you could open the *.swf file with your browser, add ?locale=en_AU&xmlurl=copy_en_AU.xml to the end in the address bar, press Enter and finally play it.

You could do that with your browser.

For example since you're from Australia and your language code is en_AU, you would go with your browser to http://www.nike.com/.../copy_en_AU.xml and press Strg + S.

A window appears asking you where it should be stored and all you have to do is to save it in the directory you saved the SonicxVapor.swf.

Now you could open the *.swf file with your browser, add ?locale=en_AU&xmlurl=copy_en_AU.xml to the end in the address bar, press Enter and finally play it.

I've tried that, but I still can't get it to run perfectly yet. Ideally, I'd love to turn it into an .exe, but I can't seem to get everything configured properly. Do you have any other tips?

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up guys, there's an advert on the 360 right now telling you to play sonic x vapor. You basically watch the full advert as seen before and once that ends you are taken to an new interactive locker room where you need to find 8 tunnels to win an exclusive avatar nike shirt. Still haven't found sonic yet but I'l bet its one of the tunels. Just to be clear there are no tunnels during the advert unlike the youtube video.

EDIT: Yea to play sonic X Vapor you need to keep scrolling left in order to find the sonic tunnel, it turns out theres way more than 8 so you have some choice in getting the avatar award. If sonic is on the shirt I'll let you guys know.

Edited by liamc5232

So I guess we can expect to see Sonic wearing shoes with the Nike logo again.

That'd be cool. It'd be just like Soap shoes all over again!

So I guess we can expect to see Sonic wearing shoes with the Nike logo again.

That'd be cool. It'd be just like Soap shoes all over again!

Mm, I kinda doubt it. But I'd love it to happen. Great way to get Sonic's face out there, absolutely perfect for SA2 as well.

The Sonic X Vapor game is now available on Xbox 360 via one of the dashboard ads.

Just when I thought that I was done playing this flash game on the computer you guys tell me this, oh well sacrificeses have to be done then.