Awoo.

Japanese or English audio in Sonic games: which one do you prefer?

Do you prefer Japanese or English audio in post-1998 Sonic games? For me, I liked the Japanese audio better than the English audio because the Japanese voice actors are most suitable for their characters (especially Sonic), and they're so cheesy. wub.png

You may also prefer these audio languages other than English or Japanese: French, Spanish, German and Italian. Remember, this topic is for post-1998 Sonic games ONLY.

English by far, I played the Adventure era with Japanese for a while, but in the end I just think the English voices fit better, and seeing as I'm from Sweden I consider my choosing pretty uninfluenced by my standards.

Of course there are exceptions though, ANYTHING is better than 4Kids's Rouge for example.

English. Mainly because that language gave us all of Eggmans famous lines.

I usually play through in English and switch to Japanese when I get bored. Tails' Japanese in this scene cracks me up every time.

I usually play through in English and switch to Japanese when I get bored. Tails' Japanese in this scene cracks me up every time.

[media=]

The subtitles are lying, "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" does not become "Look out below!". DAMN YOU SEGA!!

The horrible english acting in SA1 is actually better than the atrocious Japanese dub... what in the hell? I think Tails busted my eardrum.

Edited by Silencer Tsundere

I find the actual tone and acting quality to be significantly better in the Japanese cast than the English one for most of the games anyway, which not only makes the cutscenes more enjoyable but the actual gameplay too considering Sega still has a fetish for having Sonic hoop and holler during the stages and bosses. It was only until the last VA switch that I ever considered keeping the games in English.

I also don't mind reading.

Edited by Nepenthe

One time I turned on Japanese voices on for Sonic Unleashed 360.

My brother came in and called me a fag.

And after that day I never bothered using Japanese voices again, the new cast is pretty good anyways.

One time I turned on Japanese voices on for Sonic Unleashed 360.

My brother came in and called me a fag.

And after that day I never bothered using Japanese voices again, the new cast is pretty good anyways.

Your bro kinda sounds like a dick by the way he talked to you. If my bro did that, I'd keep it on and tell him that people can like different things.

Anyway, I like both, but lean more on the English side. Mainly cause i don't want to read all the time.

Edited by Sora
  • Thumbs Up 2

I normally play through the first time with English. After that I switch to Japanese - the JPN Sonic VAs have generally been better at conveying emotion, humor, and, since they haven't really changed the JPN cast much, consistency (compared with the English cast which is on its 3rd Sonic since SA - I also hated Jason Griffith's Sonic horribly and disliked how he played any character that seemed similar to Sonic: namely Shadow and Jet - as if Shadow didn't have enough criticism about being a "recolored Sonic").

Your bro kinda sounds like a dick by the way he talked to you. If my bro did that, I'd keep it on and tell him that people can like different things.

If I had a bro and he did that, I'd keep it on, put him in a headlock and make him "enjoy" the Japanese version.

Edited by Darth InVaders
  • Thumbs Up 1

The last thing I want to do while playing a video game is read, unless reading is imperative to playing the game. That being said, I prefer to play and hear the games in English. I don't want to sit there and read the script of cutscenes in order to figure out what is going on when I can just listen and understand in English instead.

While I understand others' reasoning for wanting to switch it to Japanese voices, I have yet to be so irritated with the English voices that I need to either switch the language to Japanese or press the mute button. I have never gotten to that point and I hope I never will.

I like to listen when people are talking, not read.

English, Sonic games or otherwise.

Basically this, I don't like to read because I can't understand the language they speak(Unless it's an anime that has no official dub...but that's not the case here)

English, definitely. Even though the voice acting started off kinda bad with SA1, the Japanese cast wasn't so great either. They both got better but I enjoy English a lot more.

I usually stick with the English Cast. While it's true the Japanese Cast probably has more experience and might be able to convey emotions and such better. I really don't like how hyper they sound, it's like they don't know how to use inside voices!

The English cast is a lot more chill, and the new crew are in their first few games, so I can't really judge them yet. (Even moreso considering of a lack of real story and lack of side characters in the Modern games so far.)

Even If I hate the English VAs for whatever I'm playing, I'd still rather play a game in a language I can understand.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic as a franchise just doesn't sound right in English, to me. The only time I'll play the games in English is if there's no Japanese voice option at all.

Maybe because I'm in the seeming minority who probably finds Roger's take on Sonic their least favourte. Sure, he can act okay, but god damn that voice just doesn't suit Sonic in the slightest in my opinion.

I also kind of like how the Japanese cast has more or less stuck to the same actors from the beginning. Save for one or two, the voice actors today are all the same as their debut role. It does give the series a nice feeling of consistency, rather than the pretty much twice-a-decade shakeups they give the franchise in English by replacing the cast.

I'm not saying the Japanese cast and acting has always been perfect; some parts in SA1 were pretty badly-acted even in Japanese, but they've certainly improved a lot more than the English cast ever have. Not to say I particularly dislike the English cast (although admittedly some of the voices are far more hit-and-miss than others), but I'd never choose it over the Japanese one.

Edited by -Mark-

Usually english but I'll occasionally do a Japanese playthrough. I agree with Mark that the consistency is nice, that Sonic hasn't changed his voice since Sonic Adventure.

My one exception is Sonic X, which I would never watch the English dub of given the choice, but that's because they made horrible cuts and edits, and replaced all the music with ear rapey cartoonish vomit more than the voices themselves.

Adventure-Era my favorite would've been the English cast, but since then I don't care as much for the ncasts after that (The latest cast has some great ones like Tails and Rouge), but since they added German in Generations, I stuck to that. One of the few things where I prefer the German dub over English.

English of course. I don't understand Japanese so what would be point to play game in a language I don't understand. Another thing is that I don't really like most of Japanese voices. For example: everyone was complaining that Chip from Unleashed in english dub sounds weird and in Japanese dub he sound good. So I changed languages and played one of the cutscenes.... OH MY GOD! Chip sounded like lil' girl and I just couldn't stand it! Eggman sounded weird too. Only voice I liked was Sonic's. Besides without English dub we couldn't experience funny lines ("NO WAI I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS", "WHOLE PACK OF ROBOTZ" and so on).