Awoo.

Japanese or English audio in Sonic games: which one do you prefer?

I prefer the Japanese version because I always laugh when someone says "sonikku". But I never noticed something bad in the english audio of the Sonic games, I like it too. And this post remembered the discussion of the Sonic CD soundtracks :P

VA doesn't seem to bother me like it does to others in this fandom. While I have like some VA over others for select characters, I always listen in English.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I'm playing Unleashed HD, I'll switch to Japanese voice mode because Sonic's "Woo!'s" and "Hiyah's!" in English mode get very annoying very quickly. That and because he sounds like he's having a fun time in Japanese language mode, you can get a real impression of Kanemaru-san putting across Sonic's love of his speed. Not to mention he sounds adorable :> Oh, and Tomokazu Seki's rendition of the Werehog is brilliant. He sounds so whimsical and fun, genuinely adds a comedic edge to the Werehog with the nature of the Werehog's moves exemplifying it :lol:

If I'm playing the Storybook games, I generally play in English so that I can truly appreciate the speech during the levels and cutscenes in all of it's wonderful in-character-ness. That and because Sonic's voice isn't annoying. Though Japanese VA'ing in these two games is excellent and I freuqently switch to that to appreciate it as well :)

I usually play in English but I sometimes switch to Japanese when watching the cutscenes. Secret Rings is the only game that I constantly play in Japanese. Jason Griffith's "Yahoo!" in that game has got to be the worst yell ever! And overall, the English voices weren't that great anyway. I think the Japanese cast is fantastic though!

Well, I have watched a lot of anime lately so that has probably something to do with it. A few years back I couldn't stand Japanese voice acting, but now I've gotten used to it and there's no way I'll ever watch an English dub of any anime ever! biggrin.png

By the way, I would love if they had proper English translations of the Japanese dialogue they have in Sonic games. It bothers me to know that the subtitles shown on the screen can be completely different to what the voice acting is. sad.png

The one I can actually understand.

I'm the complete opposite. I find different languages very interesting and I'm already studying 4 foreign languages. I'd really like to learn Japanese as well. ^^

Edited by Prownage

I highly prefer English over the japanese voice-acting. Well, because I can actually understand what they are saying. xP

By the way, I would love if they had proper English translations of the Japanese dialogue they have in Sonic games. It bothers me to know that the subtitles shown on the screen can be completely different to what the voice acting is. sad.png

At least since Colours, that's the fault of the Japanese dialogue being translated and adapted from the English version which now always comes first.

Edited by Blue Blood

If I'm playing Unleashed HD, I'll switch to Japanese voice mode because Sonic's "Woo!'s" and "Hiyah's!" in English mode get very annoying very quickly.

But they sound awesooooooome. Quite frankly, I see Sonic as more of an Americanized/Westernized character, so it is really, really odd whenever I hear him in Japanese.

• Thumbs Up 1

At least since Colours, that's the fault of the Japanese dialogue being translated and adapted from the English version which now always comes first.

This didn't bother me in Colours for some reason. The cutscenes didn't feel that exciting in any language. I was talking more about the Storybook games in which the English writing didn't just seem like a bad translation like it did in previous games (especially in SA2 and Shadow the Hedgehog). I probably should have mentioned that. sleep.png

English.

Although I'm not picky. I have English VAs with English Subtitles, because I'm weird like that. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

English.

Grew up with an English-speaking Sonic in the cartoon medium, it's best to stay with that in the source medium.

English. Even though the quality of the acting fluctuated from OK to just plain terrible from 1999-2008, I just prefer hearing dialogue in my natural language.

English because the voice acting is better. Japanese sounds like dumb anime level of acting.

Unless you can speak and understand the language pretty well, I'm not sure how you can say it sounds "dumb," unless you really just don't like the way Japanese sounds. Which wouldn't surprise me, since you're treating anime in general as if it's reputable for having bad acting.

And I know that sometimes you can tell if an actor isn't doing a good job even if they don't speak your native tongue, but how can you tell that the Japanese acting is just lower quality?

Both Japanese and English casts primarily voice in anime by the way.

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 8

English because the voice acting is better. Japanese sounds like dumb anime level of acting.

If you're the kind of person who thinks Japanese = anime, how would you even know whether the Japanese acting is good or not? =\

Sorry, just came off as a little bit snobby there.

EDIT: Ouch, speeded! Glad I'm not alone.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

If future Sonic games continue dubbing them in a bunch of languages I'll continue setting it to a random European language I don't speak for shits and giggles.

I certainly hope they continue with the multiple dubs. It sucks for younger kids, since they usually speak very good English or read fast enough. Plus, like I said, I really like the German version.

I particularly liked the French dubbing, i usualy don't mind both ENG or JPN , japanese voice is more fitting for speed runs

I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to hearing things in English vs. reading them, but I'll usually stick to the former since it's the default option and everybody loves talking about the English voice actors. The current crop are pretty good, the 4Kids guys were alright and the original set were entertainingly awful (all generally speaking, of course), so it's never really been much of an issue. I do like giving other languages a shot every now and then for fun, but I'll usually revert back to English when I'm done messing around.

I don't have many preferences when it comes to the English or Japanese voice actors' takes on certain characters (I just haven't listened to the Japanese audio enough, for the most part, and it's been a long time since I've seen any of Sonic X), but I am awfully fond of Junichi Kanemaru. He may not have much range, but his one voice's slightly camp goofiness fits Sonic pretty much perfectly.

Edited by Octarine

Japanese all the way. The voice acting and VA choice is vastly superior and I can't stand Roger Craig Smith as Sonic (nothing against him, but his voice doesn't fit Sonic).

English by far.

I'd like to understand what the characters are saying, thank you very much.

English by far.

I'd like to understand what the characters are saying, thank you very much.

Ever heard of subtitles?

Ever heard of subtitles?

What if he doesn't like to read subtitles when watching a cutscene?

• Thumbs Up 7

Ever heard of subtitles?

I enjoy watching the cutscene and not the words at the bottom of screen.

English~

The only time I ever switched to Japanese was in Colors and Generations to listen to the cutscenes way~~~~ after the beat the game five times over. o3o

Besides~~~ I'm completely in love with Roger's Sonic! 8D ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

I like both, however in Sonic Unleashed I changed the voices to Japanese because I think Chip's VA suits him better than his English one. Also Sonic's "WOOOOOO!'S" and "DOING GOOD" Sound better in Japanese

In the adventure games I sometimes switch between the two, doesn't bother me much.

Same with colors and Generations I really like the English Voice acting in those titles, but sometimes I like to play it in Japanese.

I enjoy watching the cutscene and not the words at the bottom of screen.

Are you a slow reader?

post-4377-0-23742300-1338109197_thumb.pn