Awoo.

Japanese or English audio in Sonic games: which one do you prefer?

Since English is not my native language anyway I always read subtitles so whether English or Japanese voiceover is selected doesn't make the difference for me here.

About the voices themselves: I like Jap actors more than current Eng ones but I'm not sure about two previous set of English actors. So I often switch them from time to time.

Edited by Nik1895

I would have to say I like English. First, the current Sonic scripts focus on more humor - which doesn't hit well in a language you don't understand, especially with the writers' taste of humor, which seems to be more said stuff than done stuff - that storytelling - which is /comparatively/ easier to get in a language you don't understand. Second, I have a personal pet peeve with Japanese and Korean voice acting, in which they tend to sound rather... cheesy. The direction is really off. Ever notice how Korean dramas are WAY more popular than Korean cartoons? This is partly because of the tastes of the media that is cruel enough to never going to be appreciating my tastes, but also because of the voice acting.

In dramas (or soap operas, whatever) the actors are serious about what they're doing. They feel that dramas are to be taken seriously, and try to sound human.

In cartoons, they DON'T EFFING CARE. They don't find cartoons to be taken seriously, and just go on with how cheesy they wanted to sound and still get passed without being laughed at. This is something that I find to be very bad direction for characters that aren't deliberately cheesy, and something I would like to change if ever given the chance.

Well, thanks for listening to this long pointless rant, and I hope somebody actually gives a damn. Again, this is all just personal opinion, and if you're a Korean cartoon voice actor and you're reading this, well, too bad, I'll bet you can't actually comprehend this- jkjk, what I mean to say is, I don't mean to offend anyone, and this is just, again, my opinion and standpoint.

I just alternate now and then. I'm a pretty fast reader so I can't say I've ever had a problem with subtitles. I'm actually kind of surprised how many people in here are bothered by them, haha.

English. As much as I despise a lot of the English voice acting, it's good to know what they're saying. However once I've finished the game, I would sometimes play through with Japanese audio just for the hell of it~ 

I originally played them in English but when 4Kids got involved I started listening to the Japanese track. I enjoyed their tone aside from the occasional Engrish. I then went back and played the older games with Japanese audio and found it refreshing even though I love Bristow and Drummond apart from a few moments early on. I thought it was interesting that the English subtitles are strictly for the English dialogue and that the scripts vary a bit here and there. I still enjoy the original English VAs.

I always use English. I speak not the language of the Land of the Rising Sun.

I've been keeping it on English for the more recent Sonic games, but I used Japanese for games like SA2. English voice acting in that game is terrible.