Awoo.

SSMB's virus alert thread. Report strange virus errors here.

goku262002

I got this message when viewing the most recent page of the Things Which Piss You Off thread.

MBPwz8e.png

Anyone have an idea what it could be and if it's really malicious?

Edited by Akito

• 2 weeks later...

Getting malware warnings when I tried going into the Enslaved Odyssey to the West thread, seen a status update before with someone with the same problem, so it's not just me!

I got this message when viewing the most recent page of the Things Which Piss You Off thread.

MBPwz8e.png

Anyone have an idea what it could be and if it's really malicious?

I'm not seeing anything connecting this to us. You sure it ain't just your computer throwing out an alert after a stealth scan? This happens to me from time to time.

Getting malware warnings when I tried going into the Enslaved Odyssey to the West thread, seen a status update before with someone with the same problem, so it's not just me!

An image on that page was being hotlinked to a malicious website.

As general advice for everyone; don't hotlink images. Save their bandwidth and rehost these on other websites. It would also avoid things like these happening.

• 3 months later...

Another Malware warning, this time on the newest thread. Y'know, the one where the parents killed their daughter by making her drink too much soda? It's quite tragic, to be honest.

Anyway, have a look. 

a99ac5dca314c8a2b69f2368eaadc8a5.png

Anyone hotlink any images from an "opposingviews.com"?

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone hotlink any images from an "opposingviews.com"?

False positive. Two are linked in the opening post of that topic and should be harmless (albeit broken).

• Thumbs Up 1

Just got that same malware warning in Chrome when I entered that topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was going to the newest Topic about the daughter killed with soda (sad.png  ) and I got this alert:
whattoL.png

That new topic about New Super Mario Adventures is giving me a malware warning about content from a site called smackjeeves.com.

• Thumbs Up 1

Getting the same warnings myself, it's the two images in the OP thats causing the problem.

That new topic about New Super Mario Adventures is giving me a malware warning about content from a site called smackjeeves.com.

False positive.

• 1 month later...

Suddenly while browsing on SSMB I suddenly get messages of phising attempts from the web, and it disappeared when I closed SSMB's page. I don't know what causes this, but I suspect it may be one of the random cookie feeds the site gives me. If other members are experiencing the same thing, please also report this, so the staff may get a better look at this.

The first page of the TwitchPlaysPokemon thread () gives me an authentication request requiring username and password, ostensibly from a website called "dailygeeky.com."  It happens consistently.  The message box does not obviously interfere with the loading or display of the page, which work correctly before and after closing the message box.  I tried a few other pages of the thread and do not get the same problem.

Edit: Oh, and to clarify, I haven't gotten this from any other page on SSMB or any other website anywhere.  Thus whatever's prompting it must be the content on that one page.  I'm also aware that this probably isn't a virus, but this seemed like the most relevant thread to mention it in, as it seems kind of shady.

• 2 weeks later...

Pages 9 and 14 of the 30 Days of Sonic topic hosted by Dr. Crusher gives me a phising warning attempt from a tinypic-linked URL, someone please check that out. ( I don't know if it's a false positive though)

• 2 months later...

So from the statuses theirs reports of malware in the one piece topic, was it fixed?

This is all why I use Internet Explorer.

... So you can be susceptible to viruses without even being told about it?

• Thumbs Up 7

... So you can be susceptible to viruses without even being told about it?

I meant that it only tells me when I really am .... what you just said

I meant that it only tells me when I really am .... what you just said

IE has plenty if not more instances of false positives in terms of virus reports.  Not to mention, it's the most easy to break into of all the mainstream browsers so chances are if you actually were susceptible to a virus, Internet Explorer wouldn't be the one to tell you. XP.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...

So I was browsing the web on my Wii U's Internet Browser, and when I searched SSMB on Google and clicked the link, I was redirected to what seemed to be a virus site (one of those webpages where they try to force you to download something). At first I assumed it was just me, but yesterday The Tenth Doctor posted a status saying he was redirected to an adult website... I don't know if this counts as a forum bug, but I felt it was worth mentioning. Also, it doesn't seem to happen when I click The Sonic Stadium's main page link.

• Thumbs Up 3

So I was browsing the web on my Wii U's Internet Browser, and when I searched SSMB on Google and clicked the link, I was redirected to what seemed to be a virus site (one of those webpages where they try to force you to download something). At first I assumed it was just me, but yesterday The Tenth Doctor posted a status saying he was redirected to an adult website... I don't know if this counts as a forum bug, but I felt it was worth mentioning. Also, it doesn't seem to happen when I click The Sonic Stadium's main page link.

I've seen that website slap itself onto another website I go to, and I do believe it did indeed turn out to be a virus, and a pretty bad one at that which slowed the computer down to a grind.

I've seen that website slap itself onto another website I go to, and I do believe it did indeed turn out to be a virus, and a pretty bad one at that which slowed the computer down to a grind.

Well that's the thing, I'm not on a computer, I'm on the Wii U. As far as I know, it can't get viruses, at least, not ones meant for PCs.

Well that's the thing, I'm not on a computer, I'm on the Wii U. As far as I know, it can't get viruses, at least, not ones meant for PCs.

I probably should have phrased that better-the website had viruses attached if I remember correctly. It shouldn't be an issue on the Wii U.

It is, I believe, a real website, but the redirects, whether they link to the actual website or not (I don't know and I have no desire to check), the redirect did seem to have viruses attached. I don't think it infected everybody who accessed it, but I do believe it turned out to be dangerous at any rate.

• Thumbs Up 1

We were kind of hoping we would have this issue resolved before someone brought it up, but yes, the staff are aware of this issue and are working on it.

• Thumbs Up 7

• 2 weeks later...

I also got the redirect to some virus page, and I would like to add some information. It happens when you get to a SSMB page from the Google results, but only the first time you get here from Google (I think that the redirect script sets some kind of cookie). To reproduce it open the browser in private/incognito mode and do a Google Search for SSMB, then click on one of the results of the forum.

It happened with me while using Google Chrome.