Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

In another sense, it can be seen as an achievement in the way it successfully juggles its massive cast, something the games still struggle with today, or an achievement in balancing light-heartedness with a dark atmosphere, again, something the main series games have a problem with.

I'd have to disagree that it did either of these. Going into why would be like playing a broken record at this point.

I'd have to disagree that it did either of these. Going into why would be like playing a broken record at this point.

Like I said earlier, I'm not much of a fan of the show. I was just throwing out possible arguments.

In another sense, it can be seen as an achievement in the way it successfully juggles its massive cast, something the games still struggle with today,

You mean how Bunnie and Rotor were sidelined in Season 2 when Sally and Dulcy shamelessly took their roles?

or an achievement in balancing light-heartedness with a dark atmosphere, again, something the main series games have a problem with.

Unleashed says "Hi"

• Thumbs Up 1

Unleashed isn't dark.

I had an impression that it was due to the implications of the townspeople being afflicted so badly by Dark Gaia's spawn every night and having to be excorcised, the sheer creepiness of Dark Gaia and the surprising amount of gore when it transforms/is defeated.

Another thing is that the Storybook games may not be main series titles but that fact doesn't detract from how wonderfully done their plots were in regards to balancing a dark tone with more lighthearted elements. Those games proved that Sonic games can have an ideal marriage of seriousness and lightheartedness, that there are writers in Sonic Team quite capable of it.

SatAM's dark tone almost felt pretentious.

Don't get me wrong, I am a pretty big SatAM fan who loves the series but I still stand by my opinion that it only showcases DiC's talent and nothing much more.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 3

I had an impression that it was due to the implications of the townspeople being afflicted so badly by Dark Gaia's spawn every night and having to be excorcised, the sheer creepiness of Dark Gaia and the surprising amount of gore when it transforms/is defeated.
Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 7

Edited by The Noodle
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sometimes playing Sonic '06 feels MUCH more satisfying than playing Sonic Generations.

serioulsy the match speed sessions are incredibly broken, but my heart almost stops when I'm trying to lightspeed dash all the rings to gain speed in the very hard mode of Wave Ocean, much more fun than boost into the enemies in my opinion.

the game is broken? yes. but it doesn't mean it can't be fun.

I'm starting to hate Unleashed, between the abysmal controls, the longevity of the Night stages, and the sheer dickery of the Medal collecting, I'm being severely turned off by it. It's not a bad game by no means, but it makes Generations looks like the best Sonic game in the series, and I don't even think Generations is all that great either.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have one about Unleashed too now, but not necessarily about the gameplay.

Watching through Pokecapn's Let's Play of the game a couple of days ago. I just noticed how...un-Sonic the game feels to me. No, I like the Werehog (which is an unpopular opinion unto itself) and I can do the day stages fine, and the environments are beautiful and full of enough exploration to keep my collector side satiated. It's just that, when everything is put together, it doesn't like a Sonic game. It feels like a gorgeous unrelated game which just happens to have Sonic in it. Tails and Amy show up so sparsely as well that seeing them is actually jarring to the overall tone. The problem, which I think you're all going to hate me for saying, is that there wasn't enough familiar elements to make it feel connected.

Don't get me wrong, I still really like the game.

Watching through Pokecapn's Let's Play of the game a couple of days ago. I just noticed how...un-Sonic the game feels to me. No, I like the Werehog (which is an unpopular opinion unto itself) and I can do the day stages fine, and the environments are beautiful and full of enough exploration to keep my collector side satiated. It's just that, when everything is put together, it doesn't like a Sonic game. It feels like a gorgeous unrelated game which just happens to have Sonic in it. Tails and Amy show up so sparsely as well that seeing them is actually jarring to the overall tone. The problem, which I think you're all going to hate me for saying, is that there wasn't enough familiar elements to make it feel connected.

Probably because it's a racer/beat'em up with Sonic's face on it than a Sonic game.

I liked Rouge's saxaphone jingle in Sonic X, I know they didn't have to play it everytime Rouge appeared (this also goes for other characters too), I'll admit they really didn't have to play their themes everytime they appeared. I understand why most people might not like the dub music because some might of preffered the original music, some people might of found it annoying as it continously played through each episode or maybe they weren't fond of it because there was no silence for more than 5 minutes. I still liked only some of the e-dub music including Rouge's theme, I thought it really suited the character, I know most people prefer her japanese theme but I thought the jingle in the english dub sounded quite soulful, sneaky and mysterious which fits perfectly for Rouge.

Edited by C.J

Sonic Unleashed isn't "Boost to win" in any way, shape or form. The term "Boost to win" suggests that merely pressing the X button with no other input watsoever controls-wise is sufficient to clear the game when anyone who has even played the game even for a couple of minutes would know that this is a load of bullshit.

There are quite a few aspects of the day stages that demand a variety of moves be used to traverse them. And if anything, constant use of the boost is the number one way to lose life after life especially in the air because the stages don't utterly revolve around boost usage.

To me, those who use the term "boost to win" to criticise Unleashed's day stages either haven't played the game and therefore latch onto a bullshit term with thoroughly undeserved credibility to criticise the game or don't know what the hell they're talking about.

• Thumbs Up 7

To me, those who use the term "boost to win" to criticise Unleashed's day stages either haven't played the game and therefore latch onto a bullshit term with thoroughly undeserved credibility to criticise the game or don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Alternatively, those who use it are using blatant and intentional hyperbole to express their feelings about the gameplay, which is based entirely around the use of an extremely powerful and often overused ability.

• Thumbs Up 9

Alternatively, those who use it are using blatant and intentional hyperbole to express their feelings about the gameplay, which is based entirely around the use of an extremely powerful and often overused ability.

The platforming sections in Chun-Nan (rotating circular platforms, 2D sections), Adabat (Waterfall area), Shamar (Part with the stompable boxes and moving stone platforms) and level of fine control required for Eggmanland's normal form sections says otherwise.

The problem is with the level design and not the actual ability. Therefore the term No sidepaths, no exploration, no freedom would be more apt than placing blame on the ability with the term "boost to win".

Edited by Verte

Sonic Unleashed isn't "Boost to win" in any way, shape or form. The term "Boost to win" suggests that merely pressing the X button with no other input watsoever controls-wise is sufficient to clear the game when anyone who has even played the game even for a couple of minutes would know that this is a load of bullshit.
Hyperbole! It's a thing. Try to see past a strict literal interpretation and maybe you can talk about the actual subject at hand.

The problem is with the level design and not the actual ability.
One informs the other. When you have a move that drives the player forwards at incredible speeds, it's no surprise that levels are designed like straight lines to accommodate it. Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 3

Boost to win isn't the main problem I have with Unleashed, it's the insane bottomless pits, QTEs, and cheap shit all over the damn place that I have a problem with.

Generations is closer to Air Boost to win, really, aside from some obvious exceptions such as Green Hill and Speed Highway (though personally, if Speed Highway didn't have a lot of boost to win I'd have been disappointed). Well timed Air Boosts are particularly useful in skipping parts of levels in Generations (especially in the 2D sections) because the levels are more compact in comparison to Unleashed, as well as featuring more platforms and blocks overall. This is easily seen in the many speed runs of the Modern levels.

Maybe this is why there's no Air Boost in the Rush games?

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 6

The platforming sections in Chun-Nan (rotating circular platforms, 2D sections), Adabat (Waterfall area), Shamar (Part with the stompable boxes and moving stone platforms) and level of fine control required for Eggmanland's normal form sections says otherwise.

The problem is with the level design and not the actual ability. Therefore the term No sidepaths, no exploration, no freedom would be more apt than placing blame on the ability with the term "boost to win".

Like Dio said above, one influences the other. And moreover, the gameplay is based entirely around boosting. Of what purpose are moves like the drift, quickstep and stomp if not to grant you extra control without needing to slow down? Sure there are platforming areas, but the game is designed for you to boost as much as is physically possible. Any and all areas that are slower can still be boosted through once you've got some experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

The game lacks the traditional atmosphere Sonic Games used to have.

Something even Sonic '06 managed to have to some extend.

I think the music used for Carnival night, Ice Cap, Launch Base, the Competition menu, Knuckle's theme, and the ending credit's for the Sonic & Knuckles collection are miles better then the Genesis counterparts.

• Thumbs Up 1

The game lacks the traditional atmosphere Sonic Games used to have.

Something even Sonic '06 managed to have to some extend.

WAT

Anyway I think that Generations' Rooftop Run is far superior to the original boosttowin version. It's not as cinematic as the original but I think it's better for it. RR in Unleashed just feels really boring since you can boost the whole way pretty easily.

Edited by Mr. Zurkon
  • Thumbs Up 3

WAT

Anyway I think that Generations' Rooftop Run is far superior to the original boosttowin version. It's not as cinematic as the original but I think it's better for it. RR in Unleashed just feels really boring since you can boost the whole way pretty easily.

Umm, no you can't. There are a number of hazards to avoid and platforming to be done, and you're basically just bringing out the old "Boost To Win" stereotype for no sensible reason.

With that, can we please get back on topic guys?

Umm, no you can't. There are a number of hazards to avoid and platforming to be done, and you're basically just bringing out the old "Boost To Win" stereotype for no sensible reason.

With that, can we please get back on topic guys?

Umm but we were :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Everyone talks so much smack about '06, give it a break. Go play Shadow the Hedgehog; a game that you can tell wasn't rushed like '06, and is worse in so many ways.

I believe Shadow the Hedgehog is THE worst 3D Sonic game of all time.

For all the bitching behind Unleashed's lack of exploration options, ShTH does the exact opposite: if you want to beat the first level's Dark mission, for example, you have to kill every single enemy in the level. Sounds good in theory, if the level was actually fun to explore (and NO, it is NOT!).

Edited by tenchibr

I believe Shadow the Hedgehog is THE worst 3D Sonic game of all time.

Shut your damn mouth.
  • Thumbs Up 2