Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

I hate Big's characterization in Chronicles. He's supposed to be a tad simple-minded, but sensible enough to actually recognize the situations he's in. In Chronicles, he was a complete idiot and, as far as I'm concerned, that's plain-as-day character derailment.
  • Thumbs Up 5

I liked Big in Chronicles. It was the one game I actually enjoyed him in.

EDIT:

But I'd say that that is an unpopular opinion.

A lot of people seem to adore Big in Chronicles when in reality, it's a flanderization and warping of the character, turning his loveably dim and childish simple nature into that of a complete idiot who is distrusted by the others and who can't even tell if his eyes are open or not.

Big may be a simple character but he's not a dimwit to that degree. Unfortunately, a lot of people can't see that.

Edited by Solkia-kun

I liked Big in Chronicles. It was the one game I actually enjoyed him in.

EDIT:

That's what I liked about it. I'm not a fan of their being this fat lemur who's slow in the head and useless.

In Chronicles, at least his stupidity made me laugh, and he was a fairly useful party member.

I'd say he's hardly useless. Especially considering the lengths he went to save his best friend.

Let's not forget how he had just as much a vital part in weakening Metal Sonic in Heroes as the others did.

While we're still on the subject of Big... I honestly like the big furball. I mean, I can easily relate to the guy; he just wants to live life the best way possible: taking it easy. Ain't nothing wrong with that, right?

I think that Big, as a character, at worst is inoffensive.

I think Big should've been given sort of a regular-ish yet still deep voice, sounding less exaggeratedly dumb. This probably would've helped people see Big as an easy-going guy rather than a dumb one.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think Big should've been given sort of a regular-ish yet still deep voice, sounding less exaggeratedly dumb. This probably would've helped people see Big as an easy-going guy rather than a dumb one.

Another thing I liked about Big in Chronicles.

He didn't talk through anything other than text.

Edited by Solkia-kun

To build off this, I would have preferred him to be a kind of simple-minded fisherman/vagabond. Using a kind of slow, deep western/country-American accent would have fit him better. His original voice really sounds like a person's impersonation of an idiot in the midst of a rant (e.g Teacher asks: "What is the Capital of London ", Dunce says: "Duh, I dunno.." *in a silly voice*).

Edited by Scar

You know what would really be an unpopular opinion? Saying that the Classic Trilogy are the worst games one has ever played...

I don't actually hold this opinion of them, by the way. They're awesome.

I think that Sonic CD is better than Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I would agree that Sonic CD is better than Sonic & Knuckles on it's own. I could also argue that Sonic CD is better than Sonic 3 on it's own. It's a close call.

However, the full S3&K lock on is better than CD in my opinion.

You know what would really be an unpopular opinion? Saying that the Classic Trilogy are the worst games one has ever played...

I don't actually hold this opinion of them, by the way. They're awesome.

Well, I already hate Sonic 3 and dislike Sonic 1, so I'm halfway there.

I don't always agree with you, but when I do, It's about this.

<p>

See, i'm the opposite. I dislike Sonic CD and get annoyed when people call it "The Greatest Sonic game of all time" even though it's their opinion. There are worse games out there *Cough*Sonic 3D*Cough* but I don't "get" the level design, and despise the special stages. What I do like about the game is the art direction (nice and fantastical) and the music (90's Sega style music with its synths, orchestra hits and 909 drumkits all the way! :D It's half the reason why I bought the XBLA version of the game, along with being able to play as Tails which is a nice spin and makes the game a lot more fun)

Edited by OldFreddy

My unpopular opinion:

Archie Sonic is the best version of the franchise, I think. I like to see Sonic have a family, I like to see him on his down time and I like the greater variety of stories and villains.

I once tried to make a fanon-filled time line for the Sonicverse, incorporating near enough every version of Sonic, and I used Archie as the "main" frame for it, weaving everything else around it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I already hate Sonic 3 and dislike Sonic 1, so I'm halfway there.

• Thumbs Up 2

My unpopular opinion:

Archie Sonic is the best version of the franchise, I think. I like to see Sonic have a family, I like to see him on his down time and I like the greater variety of stories and villains.

I once tried to make a fanon-filled time line for the Sonicverse, incorporating near enough every version of Sonic, and I used Archie as the "main" frame for it, weaving everything else around it.

I don't think that its that unpopular, because there are probably plenty of Archie fans.

I myself don't really like Archie that much at all. I don't like the notion of Sonic having a family because, he's a teenager who likes to wander around.

Mine would have to be Sonic Unleashed.

This game is not one of my favourites or one of the worst. It's just the idea of Sonic turning into a Werewolf (or Werehog) just cringes me everytime. Also the Werehog levels are a bit frustrating and annoying too. Everything else like the soundtrack, daytime levels and bosses are fine.

I like Unleashed a lot for what it did for me. It was my first console gaming experience (I played SADX and SH and the classics (Mega Collection) on my PC. Since I liked the speed and platforming and exploration, I loved Sonic. When I first saw the Mazuri trailer for Unleashed, I just had to buy it.

For me if Unleashed did not focus that much on speed, the series would not have arrived at Generations and Colours. Unleashed would've not been anywhere as good as it is.

Let's just ignore the werehog. I just go through the game and then never touch him again.

I'd also like to say that I like Classic Planet Wisp.

I'm replaying Sonic Unleashed right now, and I have to say. The Werehog isn't a bad idea, it was just poorly implemented. It takes too long to level him up to a point where is levels are actually playable.

Honestly, I would mind a Sonic game where the stages were divided up between speedy levels or sections like Unleashed Day Stages and exploration/combat sections like the Night Stages.

I don't think that its that unpopular, because there are probably plenty of Archie fans.

I myself don't really like Archie that much at all. I don't like the notion of Sonic having a family because, he's a teenager who likes to wander around.

Please, its /very/ unpopular for someone to prefer Archie over the games, considering the majority of regular fans can't stand it.

I'm not sure if these are unpopular, but I'll post them because they seem somewhat controversial at their very worst.

-Dr. "Eggman" Robotnik is easily the most likeable, identifiable, well-portrayed character in the entire series. He's loveable, still manages to be badass from time to time, and has ONE OF THE GREATEST VOICE ACTORS OF ALL TIME backing him. He's the only character who (generally) isn't super cheesed-up to the brink of unlikeability, he has a backstory that I would enjoy being expanded upon, and is generally responsible for most of the best moments in the Sonic games (Metal Sonic fights, Egg Dragoon, Eggmanland, Death Egg, etc.). I would love to see a game where the story's focus is on Eggman (the gameplay focus obviously wouldn't have to be, though), because Eggman's the only character who can manage to go an entire cutscene without it turning into a painful affair. Doc's in the perfect position for cartoon villains right now, just like Bowser: he's hilarious, but he'll throw down with you if he has to, and when he does, you can expect shit to get real bad, real fast.

-Sonic is stupidly overpowered nowadays. Sonic Team desperately needs to teach Sonic how to lose. He blows through bosses, enemies, stages, everything without breaking a single sweat, and yeah, it was cool in Unleashed, but I'm getting tired of seeing Sonic win CONSTANTLY. Characters who were of some ligitimate threat at one point are thrown upon the wayside as Sonic beats them into the ground within minutes. Perfect Chaos? lolnope, don't even need Super Sonic anymore. Metal Sonic? I'm sorry, did you say "Sonic's equal"? I thought you said scrap metal in less than a minute. Dr. Eggman? Don't even get me started on Eggman. Sonic needs to get nerfed, and his baddies need to get built up. A lot. Remember in SA when Eggman dropped in every time you got a Chaos Emerald, and was just like "Bitch please, this is mine"? That was cool, because it set up the fact that the good doctor was always a step ahead of you, and you really needed to pick up the pace if you were going to win. In Sonic CD, when you fought Metal Sonic? He was the ultimate epitome of badass. That motherfucker looks like you, he's faster than you, and guess what? If you touch him, you get hurt. And you can't do a damn thing about it but run your blue ass off. Now Sonic's just like "lolbadguys".

-Speaking of SA, it's aged extremely poorly. The only reason I play it anymore is because ol' Metal is playable.

-Also, this probably isn't unpopular, but Metal needs to be Eggman's #2. There's a shit ton of potential in the Eggman/Cubot/Orbot/Metal Sonic relationship that's just sitting there.

• Thumbs Up 4