Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

As of recent, I'd take Unleashed Amy over generally any other characterized Amy. Bar perhaps SA1.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Actually I prefer Sonic CD Amy. She didn't talk then like Tails or Sonic. She was another cool 2d character.

I also preferred the classic Amy... but I've got to admit Amy is much better in Unleashed.

and then in free riders she was back to crazy bitch mode...

fucking character consistency...

Edited by Anti Alias

...that's it? Unless you want to strip that aspect from her character entirely, that's about the best way to handle it.

Threatening someone who isn't even your boyfriend over the possibility of getting other girls' numbers just doesn't seem mellow and calm to me.

That she isn't mellow 24/7 doesn't mean she isn't mellow most of the time. And while they've pressed Amy's obsession too hard in the past, I don't think going to the opposite extreme and removing it entirely is a good idea either.

I wasn't arguing that it should be removed at all, I was just saying that Unleashed had her pretty obsessive as well.

If SEGA were to make it official that Amy was Sonic's girl friend would that be a good move?

I'm not sure they're in a good position to pull it off. It could potentially work, but I think they'd need to change how they handle the characters first, to make it actually mean something.

If SEGA were to make it official that Amy was Sonic's girl friend would that be a good move?

No, that would most likely have negative effects on both characters. Part of Amy's thing IS chasing Sonic, and Sonic likes to be free. I suppose it could work though, provided it doesn't neuter Sonic's character competely like Elise did in 06... him running off to save this dumb princess he'd met only a few minutes before while leaving Amy herself against a psychotic psychokinetic hedgehog who he himself could not beat was just abysmal.

While I'm here, I will say that Pirates Island is a great stage. Underwater sections, dolphins, trebuchets, anchors, great music, some platforming here and there, grinding on water spouts, and the dual boss of insanity against Whisker and Johnny make this one I just love.

As much as Rush Adventure is boost to win, I do enjoy it a lot because of it's diverse level gimmicks and unique settings. Oh and almost all the bosses are fun as well, though fuck the Ghost Titan in Big Swell and the Ghost Condor in Sky Babylon.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I do not think that Green Hill Zone should have been the first level in Generations. I know it is the first level ever but I really should think that Starlight Zone should have been there. In my opinion I just felt that it was a much more charming zone than green hill.

They would have to change a lot of Amy and Sonic's not only characterization, but also interaction dynamics.

as an "original flavour" style writter and character researcher, It's not simple (really), that's all I can say.

they CAN do that, but Status Quo would be mercilessly shattered, and characterization and portrait of relationships would have to change dramatically.

Edited by Anti Alias

I do not think that Green Hill Zone should have been the first level in Generations. I know it is the first level ever but I really should think that Starlight Zone should have been there. In my opinion I just felt that it was a much more charming zone than green hill.

Starlight Zone was an okay level but not the most colourful compared to the likes of Green Hill. Starlight has lots of loops, death pits and fast sections, and yet it was one of my least favourite levels in Sonic 1. Starlights bigger brother Stardust Speedway, now that was a fucking kick ass awesome level.

No, that would most likely have negative effects on both characters. Part of Amy's thing IS chasing Sonic, and Sonic likes to be free.
Honestly I think the dynamic can still work, and may even work better, if they were officially dating. It would actually put them on more equal ground, rather than Amy always being the bad guy, chasing after someone who's pretty consistently shown to not be interested. If they started dating, the dynamic shifts from Sonic running from a stalker/crazed fan to Sonic trying (and debatably failing) to balance his relationship and his independence, and from Amy being that stalker/crazed fan to being (arguably justifiably) frustrated with her boyfriend always running off. It's more nuanced and less one-sided.

And that's just the "negative" aspect of their relationship; making them official would open up and/or help justify more positive interactions between them, rather than using that same played-out joke.

they CAN do that, but Status Quo would be mercilessly shattered, and characterization and portrait of relationships would have to change dramatically.
Good. We could use that.

e: I guess this might be an unpopular opinion?

e2: ^^^ I was thinking specifically of getting Sonic and Amy together with that, but radically changing the status quo in general is probably also unpopular...

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 3

You could actually still do that for the two without making them an official couple actually; Whether people want to accept it or not, Sonic & Amy are friends and do care about one another so I think it'd be pretty interesting to see how their current dynamic can be used to make a deeper relationship between the two, I mean how does Amy feel effectively being in a seriously one sided relationship? Sonic's always running away or avoiding her but what would happen if he has no choice to acknowledge that big elephant in the room; That this girl has got it really bad for you and how are you going to set things straight with her? Test the relationship and both characters will be stronger for it. You don't even need to change the status quo that much to do such a thing.

Well, there are definitive advantages on making not only Amy mind you, but any character the main character's love interest.

It opens for lot's of opportunities of relationship portraits and different interactions, show the strength of their bond, create heartwarming moments, more narrative focus, create an emotional bond with the audience and such...

And I'm pretty sure the writers at ST aren't totally stupid (even if they insist to prove otherwise) and are aware of all of these advantages, however, Amy is not a love interest, and she does not have the traits of a love interest.

Amy's character was built (or rather, re-built in the adventure era) around that very dynamics, and to change the dynamics, you need to change the characters first, it can be done? yes of course, it's their show after all, but I don't really think they would do that, it asks for too much change in their characters, you know, there is a reason for why Amy is rather annoying, clingy and has an awful voice, change that and you will have somewhat a better love interest? Yes, a character that is less constrained in it's own suspension of disbelief, but one that from Amy would only share the name and the design, and that is like creating a whole new character for the role altogether (and from what I can tell, they did, Just give a quick pick at Blaze's character roles and development, she is portrayed to interact closer to Sonic than Amy, with love tropes, replacement love interest maybe? I don't know...)

But whatever... I will just write characters as I see them, If they suddenly made Amy a love interest in the next game that's exactly how I will portrait her in my writing, that's original flavor writing after all...

BTW... I totally can't "ship" Sonic characters from the game continuity, that should count as an unpopular opinion, since from what I see on the DA, it's the massive opposite....

You could actually still do that for the two without making them an official couple actually; Whether people want to accept it or not, Sonic & Amy are friends and do care about one another so I think it'd be pretty interesting to see how their current dynamic can be used to make a deeper relationship between the two, I mean how does Amy feel effectively being in a seriously one sided relationship? Sonic's always running away or avoiding her but what would happen if he has no choice to acknowledge that big elephant in the room; That this girl has got it really bad for you and how are you going to set things straight with her? Test the relationship and both characters will be stronger for it. You don't even need to change the status quo that much to do such a thing.

That's the challenge in my writing actually... of course, more lighthearted but still, exactly the same thing, portrait them with a closer bond, more heartwarming moments, without breaking the status quo.

I can't make Sonic stop running away from Amy, and I can't make Amy stop being crazy, clingy and obsessive.

But heck, they are friends! there might have some potential in their interactions! While I can not change the dynamics of their relationship, I can totally write them better than the interactions they have in their game canon interpretations of themselves.

Edited by Anti Alias

Amy's character was built (or rather, re-built in the adventure era) around that very dynamics, and to change the dynamics, you need to change the characters first, it can be done? yes of course, it's their show after all, but I don't really think they would do that, it asks for too much change in their characters, you know, there is a reason for why Amy is rather annoying, clingy and has an awful voice, change that and you will have somewhat a better love interest? Yes, a character that is less constrained in it's own suspension of disbelief, but one that from Amy would only share the name and the design, and that is like creating a whole new character for the role altogether (and from what I can tell, they did, Just give a quick pick at Blaze's character roles and development, she is portrayed to interact closer to Sonic than Amy, with love tropes, replacement love interest maybe? I don't know...

Wouldn't Amy being less clingy, and obsessive be a good thing? Nobody is saying completely strip her of those character traits, but if she can mature enough to not be so readily to bash any girl that so much as looks at Sonic suggestively, and understand that Sonic doesn't appreciate the amount of glomping and fangirling, I think that would put her on the path towards being a credible character.

Wouldn't Amy being less clingy, and obsessive be a good thing? Nobody is saying completely strip her of those character traits, but if she can mature enough to not be so readily to bash any girl that so much as looks at Sonic suggestively, and understand that Sonic doesn't appreciate the amount of glomping and fangirling, I think that would put her on the path towards being a credible character.

eh, why not... it would be a great thing actually.

If she maintained her Unleashed characterization consistently with her appearances then why the heck not?

It would be great to portrait her closer to Sonic, the damend main character as long as their relationship dynamics isn't changed or developed, that's what I think it should be done, her role in unleashed was good enough, of course she was useless, but at least she didn't give the player an urge to kill her like in free riders.

the problem is making Amy a love interest and that's where characterization shitstorm begins, it can't be done without changing Amy to something... uh... not Amy.

Edited by Anti Alias