Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

- All of the Olympic Crossover games are bad, period.

That's really a unpopular opinion?

• Thumbs Up 6

Eggmanland was one of the best final levels in a Sonic game.

"Boost to Win" is a load of crap.

The DS version of Colors and 3DS version of Generations had better stories than their HD versions.

Apparently liking Sonic Advance 3 is a sin against man.

I must be the Anti-Christ then.

I guess I'll be seeing you in hell, then...

The DS version of Colors and 3DS version of Generations had better stories than their HD versions.

Colours, I can agree with. Generations, though? It was the HD version but shortened, I don't see how it was all that different...

• Thumbs Up 1

- I think that the 2012 Mario and Sonic title should be the absolute last Olympic title and that Sega and Nintendo should get to work on a Mario and Sonic platformer already.

- I think Princess Sally acorn is the absolute worst character to ever exist in the entire franchise (beaten only by Chris Thoryndyke). I really don't believe her militant, no nonsense nature would be compatible with sonics free and fun loving nature. And on top of that she is also a HUGE spotlight stealer, it doesn't help that Ian Flynn happens to be a fanboy of hers and because of that she is often depicted as having no flaws what so ever. And then there was that infamous panel where she slapped sonic in the face. Oh god I REALLY felt like breaking something when I saw that and from that day on I vowed that I was through with the Archie sonic comics. Oh and speaking of Archie....

- No. NOBODY FROM THE FUCKING COMICS NEEDS TO BE IN THE GAMES!!!!! My god, do you know how freaking annoying it is to see comments from fans saying they need to scrap characters from the games and replace them with the freedom fighters?! Besides what purpose would they serve?

Sally (Sonic's Love Interest): Nope. We already have Amy (to an extent) for that. And besides Sonic is really not the type of guy to commit to a serious relationship. He embodies the wind and a relationship would kinda slow him down or tie him down completely.

Bunnie (The "Action Girl"): Amy, Rogue, and Blaze beat Bunnie to this.

Rotor (Tech Expert): Already have Tails for this.

Antoine: We do not need this cunt in the games, nor do we need a character similar to him.

Scourge (Bad Boy Sonic look a like/Arrognant asshole): There is already somebody for look a like role and his name is Shadow the hedgehog. Oh and you notice how Scourge is green, has blue eyes, is an asshole and is full of himself? Now which character in the games is green, has blue eyes, is an asshole and his full of himself? Oh right! Jet the hawk!

So there, the roles that the Archie Characters would have in the games have already been taken. And the games are already over loaded with characters and the last thing we need is any new additions to the cast.

• Thumbs Up 4

I have a special place in my heart for Secret Rings and Black Knight. Deep down I know they're bad, but I enjoyed playing them. I enjoyed their plots, their visuals, their soundtracks, their voice acting, their additional content and heck even right down to the gameplay when I played them when I was younger. I couldn't get that same enjoyment now mind, but I can at least appreciate that much of them.

This is unpopular? I don't read the comics, but I thought most people thought it got better once he left and Flynn came on.

I have seen quite a few people saying Penders run was the best.

So am I

I have a special place in my heart for Secret Rings and Black Knight. Deep down I know they're bad, but I enjoyed playing them. I enjoyed their plots, their visuals, their soundtracks, their voice acting, their additional content and heck even right down to the gameplay when I played them when I was younger. I couldn't get that same enjoyment now mind, but I can at least appreciate that much of them.

I know how you feel. That's how I feel about Heroes. It was my first game in the series that I played.

Hm, I wonder if it's possible to have multiple Anti-Christs...

Mine's is that Sonic Rush is inferior to Sonic Rivals. Much more fun was had with Rivals on my end and the less Blaze I see the better.

Oh goody. I happen to have quite a few unpopular opinions...

-I think both Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure 2 are both massively overrated. They're good games sure, but if people could get those nostalgia goggles off, they would actually see the flaws. S3&K stretched on way too long and tried way too hard to have a scope and story. The music, while good, is not as good as some of the tracks from Sonic 1 or 2. Surprisingly, my favorite music tracks are from the multiplayer. I liked Sonic's design from Sonic 2 much better, Sonic 3's iteration looks kinda bloated.

As for Sonic Adventure 2, for starters, two thirds of the game are less than enjoyable. Defend the Shooting and Hunting sections all you want, I did not buy a Sonic game to shoot robots in a mech, or hunt for jewels. By that logic, those sections are no better than the Werehog sections in Unleashed. Even the Speed levels don't feel as tight as the ones from Sonic Adventure. In Sonic Adventure, I felt like I had control of Sonic, and that he instantly responded to my button presses. Starting with SA2 onward, there's always been this small delay in the controls that bugs the crap out of me. To top it off, SA2 doesn't even really feel that much like a Sonic game. To quote FTA, it feels like "A good game, that Sonic happens to be in."

-I think that the Modern Sonic gameplay in Sonic Unleashed is better than the Modern Sonic gameplay in Sonic Generations. *GASP* I know. I like that Sonic controls tighter in Generations, but the fast-paced react-quickly style of gameplay present in Unleashed suits the Modern Sonic style better.

-I also think that the environments in Sonic Unleashed look better than that of Sonic Generations. The HD recreations of old levels look great, sure, but I feel like the environments in Unleashed had more time and detail put into them. Even the returning level from Unleashed, Rooftop Run, looked more detailed in its original iteration.

-I think that Classic Sonic's gameplay in Sonic Generations is BETTER than Sonic's gameplay in the classic games.

*GASP* I know.

Call me crazy, but the OP spindash in the Classic Sonic levels instantly makes it so much more fun to speedrun and shortcut in levels.

That's about it for my unpopular opinions for now. I'll add anything I forgot later.

Edited by KatamariParadox

Just a little one, with regards to whether Sonic is "back" or not...

...I never thought he left.

Even during the dark Heroes/Shadow years I think the Advance titles and Riders were of genuine quality even if they weren't everyone's cup of tea direction-wise, and during 2006's reign we still had Secret Rings on the Wii which - while aging awkwardly most people agreed was a great addition to the series at the time. Though this IS coming from someone who tolerated Heroes and 2006 and enjoyed Shadow anyway.

Colours, I can agree with. Generations, though? It was the HD version but shortened, I don't see how it was all that different...

Not just because JezMM posted in this thread, but I think Sonic 2 8-bit is on par with the Genesis titles in quality.

• Thumbs Up 2

imo Generations butchered the flow of Rooftop Run that was present in Unleashed, it felt fast, fluid and consistent in Unleashed and the quick step corridor section was tight and satisfying to pull off, where as in Generations it was sloppy, rebound central and only worked for half of it, not to mention the quick step prompt came up too early.

the only thing i liked about Generation's Rooftop Run was the festival theme with the balloons and confetti

in short Unleashed Rooftop Run >>>>> Generations Rooftop Run.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well...it was the little things that were added in:

-Sonic and Tails actually talk about all the Genesis Era stages

-The Mirror cutscene is extended, where Classic Sonic ends up in a another area where Classic Eggman reveals Metal Sonic, as if it's their first time fighting

-upon entering the Dreamcast Era, Modern Sonic uses a Homing Attack on a Spinner, in which Classic Sonic learns how to do Homing Attacks

-upon entering the Modern Era, Modern Tails gives Modern Sonic a present, which are new shoes, that allows Modern Sonic to do Stomps

-instead of Modern Sonic using the Air Dash to get the last Chaos Emerald like in the HD version, he uses the Boost to save Classic Tails from Time Eater

-in the Time Eater reveal cutscene, both Tails shield the Sonics after they get taken down from the first attack instead of doing nothing.

-the Eggman cutscene at the end had better dialogue

• Thumbs Up 1

i also forgot to mention the long stretch of badnik smashing at the end of rooftop run was horrendously ruined in Generations with lack of enemies to boost smash, their hit boxes being tiny and easily missed, and the airship's laser ruins all your fun :C it just felt like a boring run to the goal while TRYING to hit a few enemies along the way, unlike Unleashed's super robot smashing romp that is seriously satisfying to play, you can get 4 complete EXP bars alone in that one section, and it was shamelessly watered down in Generations, felt like my favourite level had been ruined :/

• Thumbs Up 2

A rather unpopular Sonic opinion (not my own personal opinion) is a quote from an episode of the very funny Sonic for Hire series.

The quote is as follows:

Dig Dug: "What have you ever done that's so important? a couple of decent games like 20 years ago and then a shit load of shitty shit since then?!

Sonic: AHA! so you do know who I am!

I've came to realize that some ppl that have said Sonic games have been shitty since the Genesis era ended have actually NEVER played any of the newer games and they're really just saying that because of what they heard from everybody else.

My old time friend use to say the same thing all the time until I introduced him to Adventure 1, 2, Unleashed, Colors, etc. now he absolutely loves them.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh wow, where do I even begin...

-Sonic Heroes is the worst Sonic game ever made, there's basically nothing positive about that game and I can't stand to play it for more than 1-2 minutes.

-Shadow The Hedgehog is a pretty decent game barring some story-threads.

-Sonic 3 was far too easy and was frankly kind of dull after the awesome Sonic 2.

-Sonic Unleashed is far superior to Sonic Colours and probably the most underrated Sonic game out there, I really don't get any of the problems people have with it.

-Sonic Colours was veeeery mediocre and probably had some of the worst level design of any modern Sonic game.

-A Mario & Sonic platformer would suck because they play far too different from eachother, it's just pointless.

-I really liked Dr. Robotnik/Eggman's redesign in Sonic '06.

-I feel the post-Unleashed era of Sonic games are really starting to get stale in terms of art-style by this point.

-I don't mind the boosting of modern games, but I wish Sonic would control a bit more flexible in 3D-space when he's NOT boosting.

-I never understood the appeal of Sonic Advance, once again the level design felt pretty dull. Dimps best game was Sonic Pocket Adventure.

-Sonic 4 Episode I was a pretty okay game, not great, but okay. Sonic 4 Episode II (so far, I'm not done yet) is utterly terrible.

-While I noticed the 'inferior' physics of various Sonic games (such as S4E1), it never really bothered me.

-I kind of liked Sonic and the Secret Rings.

-I prefer when Sonic isn't such a dark-blue like the modern Sonic is.

---

That's all I can think of now, at least I think all of those are unpopular opinions.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh wow, where do I even begin...

-Sonic Heroes is the worst Sonic game ever made, there's basically nothing positive about that game and I can't stand to play it for more than 1-2 minutes.

-Shadow The Hedgehog is a pretty decent game barring some story-threads.

-Sonic 3 was far too easy and was frankly kind of dull after the awesome Sonic 2.

-Sonic Unleashed is far superior to Sonic Colours and probably the most underrated Sonic game out there, I really don't get any of the problems people have with it.

-Sonic Colours was veeeery mediocre and probably had some of the worst level design of any modern Sonic game.

-A Mario & Sonic platformer would suck because they play far too different from eachother, it's just pointless.

-I really liked Dr. Robotnik/Eggman's redesign in Sonic '06.

-I feel the post-Unleashed era of Sonic games are really starting to get stale in terms of art-style by this point.

-I don't mind the boosting of modern games, but I wish Sonic would control a bit more flexible in 3D-space when he's NOT boosting.

-I never understood the appeal of Sonic Advance, once again the level design felt pretty dull. Dimps best game was Sonic Pocket Adventure.

-Sonic 4 Episode I was a pretty okay game, not great, but okay. Sonic 4 Episode II (so far, I'm not done yet) is utterly terrible.

-While I noticed the 'inferior' physics of various Sonic games (such as S4E1), it never really bothered me.

-I kind of liked Sonic and the Secret Rings.

-I prefer when Sonic isn't such a dark-blue like the modern Sonic is.

---

That's all I can think of now, at least I think all of those are unpopular opinions.

Are these all YOUR opinions? Because when I read that Eggman Redesign part, that's where things veered off into madness. Edited by SuperJXJ

^Hey, its unpopular opinions for a reason mang, ain't nothing wrong with that....

Granted I disagreed with 90/95% of what he said, but still...

Edited by The Groosenator
  • Thumbs Up 3

So what else can I say?

-ShTH's guns suck, but the idea of weapons in the games isn't exactly a bad idea by default. Also, I would have given the game an extra 2 points if I could right around in a Hot Shot mech.

-I SERIOUSLY wish Sonic Team would allow us to ride in a Hot Shot mech. Tails is the perfect character for it. tongue.png

-Silver is the biggest gamebreaker of a character in the series: Telekinesis, Teleportation, Energy Attacks, Chaos Control, and can use his natural telekinesis to cheat and achieve superspeed, superstrength, and flight along with his super form. I would not find it implausible if they gave him the power to rip people on a molecular level or warp reality in the future. He needs more balance.

-Rouge is sexy and she knows it...does that count as an unpopular opinion tho?

-Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games was the absolute WORST way for the two franchises to be in a crossover.

-Classic fanboys don't use critical thinking over Modern games and concepts; Modern fanboys don't use critical thinking over Classic games and concepts.

-Archie Sonic is so far better than game Sonic when it comes to the characters. It's like Ian's been reading everything I've been saying over the years.

-And this is what defines my place here on SSMB: No more having Classic characters as "Mains" and Modern characters as "Secondaries". Senority =/= Superior and you jackasses who think so know better. I should also add that this applies in the reverse for Modern ones, because New =/= Superior either. Seriously, how about some variety with the cast of characters? Mix 'em up a bit and throw some Sonic, Rouge, Knuckles, and Blaze in a game, or Sonic, Shadow, Tails, and Big (yes, Big, even if I don't care for him in the games). Anything but this grouping BS we've been associating with.

- No. NOBODY FROM THE FUCKING COMICS NEEDS TO BE IN THE GAMES!!!!! My god, do you know how freaking annoying it is to see comments from fans saying they need to scrap characters from the games and replace them with the freedom fighters?! Besides what purpose would they serve?

So there, the roles that the Archie Characters would have in the games have already been taken. And the games are already over loaded with characters and the last thing we need is any new additions to the cast.

It's a good thing I only want Enerjak/Knuckles from the Archie Comics then. Seriously, how fucking cool would that be to see Knuckles rag-dolling most of the characters while trying to take over the world and having everyone try to stop him?

No monster of the week, and a major character gets an even major role as a temporary villian.

<__<

>__>

No one, huh?

3. Seriously give us Knuckles back. We don't need no dumbass (OOOPS, Master Emerald broke again,) plot,

Only if Shadow comes too with little bitching in the end...cool.png

Sonic 06 proved you can put him in any story if you try.

Dafuq?

No it didn't. Sonic 06 proved how not to put any character in any story with bad writing. You want a better example, go for ShTH or Riders; hardly any complaints about him being there.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yup, all of those are my real opinions. Naturally I have plenty 'popular' ones as well, but those would be out of place.

I forgot to say another one

-Regardless of how bad they were I really liked most of Silver's levels in Sonic 06. I just like the idea of psychic powers and haven't seen it in any other game that I can recall.

Edited by Prince Solaris

I would rather Sonic died in a Blaze of Glory doing something fresh and new even if it wasn't that well received that see him dwindle into obscurity because his fans and his developer were too scared/too obsessed with gluing themselves to his glory days.

It's a pity really, because Sonic could be doing anything outside of "SAWNIK DEFEETS ROBOTNIK" with no attempts to make it interesting out of fear for the backlash of "OMFG IT HAZ CHARACTERS OTHER THAN SAWNIK AND ISN'T ALL ABOUT BRAINLESS AUTOMATION AND SPEEEEEEEEEEEEED!"

EDIT: Run on is fixed.

Edited by Enigmatus