Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

Dafuq?

No it didn't. Sonic 06 proved how not to put any character in any story with bad writing. You want a better example, go for ShTH or Riders; hardly any complaints about him being there.

What I meant was that little people complained about Knuckles being in Sonic 06. Apart from the occasional "Shouldn't you be guarding something" joke from fans, everyone seemed okay with having him in the game.

It's Sonic Team's weird philosophy that "If it doesn't involve the Master Emerald, Knuckles should have no part in the game" that I don't like.

(Holy fuck I keep forgetting he was in Shadow. While he didn't have a role in the game that was really big or anything, nobody still complained about him being there).

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh! Oh! I thought of another one.

-I'm sooooooo tired of checkered hill zones that's not Green Hill Zone. I'm talking your Seaside Hills, your Neo South Islands, your Frog Forests and etc. I find it so dull and lacking in inspiration, I'm fine with games like Generations using Green Hill Zone, that zone is supposed to be a checkered hill zone, but could they please stop making other checkered hill zones?

Oh! Oh! I thought of another one.

-I'm sooooooo tired of checkered hill zones that's not Green Hill Zone. I'm talking your Seaside Hills, your Neo South Islands, your Frog Forests and etc. I find it so dull and lacking in inspiration, I'm fine with games like Generations using Green Hill Zone, that zone is supposed to be a checkered hill zone, but could they please stop making other checkered hill zones?

Well you be the one to tell Sega to stop pandering to the classic fanboy vocal minority and create some new environments to play through, or at least some that are rarely used in Sonic games.

Well you be the one to tell Sega to stop pandering to the classic fanboy vocal minority and create some new environments to play through, or at least some that are rarely used in Sonic games.

Oh c'mon, as much as I hate it, it's not THAT common. Unleashed had no checkers, Generations only used old stages and Colours... Well I can't remember, did it have checkers?

Ok; I think the Classic series are the most overratted games in the series, even moreso than the Adventure titles.

Yes, I love Sonic 1-Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Yes, I think they're incredibly well made games. and yes, I think Sonic Team could stand to go back and review something that was good.

But for fuck's sake people, they're not the only games that matter. Its the whole "Classic is bettur" mentality, and the condescending attitude that usually comes with it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Rouge is the hottest videogame character ever.

Eggman is hawter...

....WHAT!? I prefer humans.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ok; I think the Classic series are the most overratted games in the series, even moreso than the Adventure titles.

Yes, I love Sonic 1-Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Yes, I think they're incredibly well made games. and yes, I think Sonic Team could stand to go back and review something that was good.

But for fuck's sake people, they're not the only games that matter. Its the whole "Classic is bettur" mentality, and the condescending attitude that usually comes with it.

Not trying to be "that guy", but honestly S3andK didn't see similar quality until Sonic Unleashed HD, so there could be some truth to what the purists are saying.

what's the fun in that? you want to FEEL like Sonic, doing all those wall jumps, vaults and break dancing moves, Mirror's Edge got the whole YOU CAN DO PARKOUR! feel right

I agree, unless you speedrun, because you can see someone do the same thing (try to get past the platforms fast and save the boost for the straightaways), or someone else sacrifice some boost and actually get a better time. I think it gives more options.

That's not how you spell Cream...

I really do think that since a hell of alot of people love Classic Sonic, and since Generations had positive reception, that 2D Sonic games should feature Classic characters, while 3D games can have modern.

Oh and please get rid of Dimps. I really liked Budokai 3, so go back to doing that shit again instead of my Sonic games. What was 10 years ago clearly isn't now. Looking at Sonic Advance to Sonic 4, Dimps has lost alot of their ways and I think Sega should get another dev to work on 2D Sonic games. Or at the very least, let Sonic Team do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The worst part is... that classic mentality is the truly the sole reason as to why Sonic has yet to return to his good graces. Other classic series got it right in recent years, but it's just not working with Sonic unfortunately. At this point, I think we should all agree that the critics are the blame for the reason why the games are like they are now, followed closely but the vocal minority I mentioned earlier.

2D Sonic games should feature Classic characters, while 3D games can have modern.

I'd be okay with that, sort of like we were meant to have the Storybook games to the side of the main series, they obviously failed, but it was still a side-by-side concept.

But she is. How is this an unpopular opinion? >:U

Oh c'mon, as much as I hate it, it's not THAT common. Unleashed had no checkers, Generations only used old stages and Colours... Well I can't remember, did it have checkers?

I'm pretty sure Colours didn't have checkers. Then again I rarely pay attention to details like that, so I may be wrong. D: hmm...

sonic-colors-laser.jpg

Well, Tropical Resort has diamond shapes. Does that count? tongue.png

I really do think that since a hell of alot of people love Classic Sonic, and since Generations had positive reception, that 2D Sonic games should feature Classic characters, while 3D games can have modern.

I could work with this.

Oh and please get rid of Dimps. I really liked Budokai 3, so go back to doing that shit again instead of my Sonic games. What was 10 years ago clearly isn't now. Looking at Sonic Advance to Sonic 4, Dimps has lost alot of their ways and I think Sega should get another dev to work on 2D Sonic games. Or at the very least, let Sonic Team do it.

That's a sentence I didn't expect to see in a topic about unpopular opinions.

I thought of another unpopular opinion: I really don't mind any of the Super Sonic(/Shadow) fights. Granted they're either really easy or really frustrating, but I personally find the majority of them pretty fun. The only one I haven't experienced is '06's (as well as all of the Advance games 'cause of those goddamn special stages...), not sure if that makes me lucky or not. tongue.png

EDIT: Oh and I haven't played Unleashed HD's final boss. The Wii version of the fight was okay, though.

Edited by ElementofChaos7

This is less of an opinion, and more of a question:

What would your general reaction be if everything about the Sonic Universe, sans the characters and their basic personalities, was completely wiped? And that if you were to write new stories, you weren't allowed to copy paste the old ideas except with better execution too often (mostly or completely new ideas)?

Edited by Enigmatus

What would your general reaction be if everything about the Sonic Universe, sans the characters and their basic personalities, was completely wiped? And that if you were to write new stories, you weren't allowed to copy paste the old ideas except with better execution too often (mostly or completely new ideas)?

No. Then they might as well just make a new franchise.

I'd be pretty upset, honestly. Believe it or not, there are people--such as myself--who care about the characters and the continuity (even if it's pretty loose). :C

^ Same Here. Actually, I have a better question?

Is there any video game level cliche that the Sonic games haven't tried yet? I mean, he's done the FUCKING APOCALYPSE for crying out loud. People complain about Sonic Team using some of the same cliches, but is there really anything else they can do without sliding too far into really Un-Sonic territory?

The worst part is... that classic mentality is the truly the sole reason as to why Sonic has yet to return to his good graces. Other classic series got it right in recent years, but it's just not working with Sonic unfortunately. At this point, I think we should all agree that the critics are the blame for the reason why the games are like they are now, followed closely but the vocal minority I mentioned earlier.

I like the games how they are now (atleast when it comes to atmosphere and art style) I just wish that the games have more substance to them and other characters contributes in the stories again. But seeing how people complain whenever somebody other then Sonic shows up I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. :\

Is there any video game level cliche that the Sonic games haven't tried yet? I mean, he's done the FUCKING APOCALYPSE for crying out loud. People complain about Sonic Team using some of the same cliches, but is there really anything else they can do without sliding too far into really Un-Sonic territory?

I don't mind using some old concepts, as long as they don't get stuck on the same ones. I would love a new Green Forest-type stage for example.

I want them to make a game that centers around Sonic and Shadow working together on an Adventure with JUST THEM as the only playable characters. It would be called.....

Sonic and Shadow.

I want them to make a game that centers around Sonic and Shadow working together on an Adventure with JUST THEM as the only playable characters. It would be called.....

Sonic and Shadow.

Nah, it needs to be Sonic X Shadow, that's the new rad thing as seen in Street Fighter X Tekken or Project X Zone.

Not trying to be "that guy", but honestly S3andK didn't see similar quality until Sonic Unleashed HD, so there could be some truth to what the purists are saying.

Even if the modern games haven't been entirely good, that doesn't mean the only good games are the classics.

Nah, it needs to be Sonic X Shadow, that's the new rad thing as seen in Street Fighter X Tekken or Project X Zone.

Is it wrong that I read that as SonicxShadow as opposed to Sonic X Shadow?

Edited by Enigmatus

Is it wrong that I read that as SonicxShadow as opposed to Sonic X Shadow?