Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

- I kind of wished that certain spin off and main game titles would've flip flopped on how they were made or played. What I mean is, I would have liked to see how Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure would've looked in 3D instead of on the DS, and I would've liked to see what a plot like Zero Gravity would've been like in an Adventure style gameplay, while a game like Unleashed was made into a 2d game. Hard to imagine, eh? XD Why would this opinion be so unpopular? Because lately it seems we have so many more 2d than 3d fans, and I assume that nobody would be on the same page as me as seeing a 2d game being a 3d (not 2.5d, 3d) style game.

- I definitely know I'm probably alone on this: I liked the realism that 06 had. The characters looked so amazing, and I can appreciate them more than Unleashed style characters (Granted that if they made the characters look anime style, I'd be more inclined to change that version more).

- I loved the storybook games, but they just weren't executed right. I ESPECIALLY love the music, and felt so much more love go into that part of those games than I did in games like Unleashed.

- Speaking of the Storybook Games, Black Knight to be specific, I found that a game without Tails was...*gets flame shield* actually cool. I'll admit, it would feel strange for Tails to not be around, but honestly, I'd rather him take a break than have either no development or no purpose to the story, or at least no gameplay.

- I really didn't see much point in the Chao Gardens. I mean, the little guys are cute and all, but they just didn't really seem that appealing to me. Granted, I'd be okay if they decided to make a Chao Garden again, I just don't feel that it would be needed, per say. No offense to anyone.

- While Colors and Generations were excellent games, I didn't enjoy them quite as much as others. The writing and story...something felt empty there.

- I wouldn't mind seeing more of a romantic theme in the games. However, I'd rather they do it like they did in Chronicles, only there if you choose for it to be there.

- Many say that Adventure 3 was 06, Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, or Unleashed, but I believe the same could be said for Sonic and Knuckles being Sonic 4. Yes, 06 and Heroes played eerily similar to Adventure, Shadow the Hedgehog was more of a sequel to Adventure 2, and Unleashed was called World Adventure in Japan, but still, if it doesn't say Adventure 3 in the title, then its not Adventure 3 in my book, and I still want it to be made (Specifically with Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, and if we can have others, Silver, random new character that plays new and different, and if we have to, Amy).

And finally...

- I think Sonic Team needs to try going on the edge with their next game. Yes, we're "safe" right now, but we're too safe. It's like swimming in a kiddie pool almost versus an ocean that we've had in some of the other games, and I think we need to take a gamble with the next game, even if we have to take the road of doing a cross universal/intergalactic/time travel story.

Edited by Doubled32
  • Thumbs Up 1

-I liked Riders 1 (the others can suck it)

-Jason Griffith's best Sonic was better than Drummond's best Sonic. Sonic and the Black Knight cemented him as a good actor to me, and he really put some effort in his performance there, and it honestly makes him my favorite VA overall.

-Season 3 of Sonic X was genuinely good, both in plot and in character focus. It sucks that it had to be associated with the first 2 seasons, but the final season really pulled all the stops and had some great story telling.

• Thumbs Up 2

- Sonic and the Secret Rings is the worst Sonic game I've ever played. It's the only Sonic game (and I played like 20) that I haven't completed. That even includes the other horrid games of '06 and Black Knight, as I have completed them. The controls in Secret Rings were a complete mess.

- Amy Rose needs more character development. I'm tired of her, not getting any since the reboot of Adventure.

- Adventure 1 > Adventure 2. In other words, Adventure 2 is not the best 3D Sonic game.

- Generations; while it's a good game and gameplay kicks ass, it was overall boring. It was far too short to have any replay value for me. The story in that game was very bland too.

- Sonic CD is better than S3&K.

- Sonic and the Secret Rings is the worst Sonic game I've ever played. It's the only Sonic game (and I played like 20) that I haven't completed. That even includes the other horrid games of '06 and Black Knight, as I have completed them. The controls in Secret Rings were a complete mess.

- Amy Rose needs more character development. I'm tired of her, not getting any since the reboot of Adventure.

- Adventure 1 > Adventure 2. In other words, Adventure 2 is not the best 3D Sonic game.

- Generations; while it's a good game and gameplay kicks ass, it was overall boring. It was far too short to have any replay value for me. The story in that game was very bland too.

- Sonic CD is better than S3&K.

Hating secret rings isn't a unpopular opinion...I've yet to see anyone say that game is awesome.

And not to sound rude but how can a good game with gameplay that kicks ass be boring?

It's silly.

- I fucking hate when people use the argument "The developers are just human" when someone complains about how short Sonic games have become. It makes no sense.

- I think people have to be complete idiots to think the dialogue between Rouge and Shadow in '06 should be taken as romantic in any way possible. Although, that really depends on who you ask to be unpopular.

- I kind of wished that certain spin off and main game titles would've flip flopped on how they were made or played. What I mean is, I would have liked to see how Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure would've looked in 3D instead of on the DS, and I would've liked to see what a plot like Zero Gravity would've been like in an Adventure style gameplay, while a game like Unleashed was made into a 2d game. Hard to imagine, eh? XD Why would this opinion be so unpopular? Because lately it seems we have so many more 2d than 3d fans, and I assume that nobody would be on the same page as me as seeing a 2d game being a 3d (not 2.5d, 3d) style game.

You know, I'd love to see Sonic Colors as a 3D game.

• Thumbs Up 1

-SatAM was not good. Pretty much just as awful as the other Sonic cartoons and in many ways worse.

-Classic Sonic's look really needed to be ditched. It's cute but it doesn't look good in 3D. He's meant to be a blob that stands out when you look at him from the side, and he worked for the time, but Sonic needed to have exaggerated features so that a viewer could recognize what he was doing in 3D.

-Sonic 2 is the worst classic Sonic platformer despite making some great innovations.

-The Unleashed formula has overstayed its welcome and there's nowhere to go with it from Generations.

-Dimps is a competent developer and the people who shift all blame onto them while praising SEGA's ability are probably pretty dumb.

-The Sonic 4 synth could've been better but comparing it to dying cats is totally childish.

-Elise was marginally less offensive than Chip.

-Sonic Adventure 2 had an awful, awful story.

- I fucking hate when people use the argument "The developers are just human" when someone complains about how short Sonic games have become. It makes no sense.

Yeah that's pretty dumb.

I think one thing a lot of people ignore is that videogames are pretty expensive. It's fair to want a lot out of them, and when Sonic games can be completed so quickly it's kind of shitty.

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 1

To me, there's no point having "epic storylines" and "great characterisation" if the game is still mediocre to shit. This is why I don't hold Unleashed in high regard and find Colours and Generations miles better, even if Unleashed is an okay game. Obviously the games would benefit with both, but in this instance it rarely HAS both.

Honestly this seems an unpopular opinion if this thread is anything to go by as everyone is obsessed by the "atmosphere". And even then, I think Generations nailed the art style, just enough realism and just enough surrealism.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 6

-As said by others, I don't think as highly of Adventure 2 as most. The only things in the long run I'm really thankful for that game introducing is the Pyramid Base (Robotnik + Egyptian motifs = gooood), King Boom Boo and Rouge.

-I like Marine and Shade, and despite the problems they have, and the time between Rush Adventure/Chronicles and now, I still wish they could return and develop even more one day. To be fair, I tend to grow fond of a lot of characters fairly quickly, be it Sonic, Mario, MLP or otherwise.

-I think even the very worst of the Game Gear titles are still better than Sonic 2006. They were only side games that weren't as important. 2006 on the other hand... the bigger the promise, the harder the fall.

-I understand why others would see them this way, but I thought the plots of Colours and Generations were completely fine for the most part aside from very minor things. This might not seem like a completely unpopular opinion, but I hear more and more complaints (sometimes civil, but usually not) about them that I consider it one anyway.

-I agree with Mechano on SatAM Robotnik being tish (and Archie Eggman not being tish, tish-negative in fact). Not because of him being too evil (though I'd rather he be more Knight Templar than card carrying) or even because of his lack of eccentric qualities (besides, some of the Season 2 episodes showed that he did - moreso in fact), but rather because of the following:

Just sitting around and shouting at things. Robotnik is usually on the move and only stays in his base when he's overseeing his plan (Unleashed/Colours) or staying behind the scenes (Rush Adventure). It's one of the things that made him stand out as a villain to begin with. Reducing him to a generic Dr. Claw villain dampens that.

Looking ridiculous. Doc Egg was never physically intimidating anyway, but I will never understand how people can find Julian scary looking. His outfit looks like it belongs to the Village People (A yellow cape? I know yellow's always been one of the main Egg colours, but still. Yellow?), and his red eyes are just plain narmy, and gives off the sense of trying too hard. I actually find Game Robotnik's appearance, clownish as it is, genuinely more creepy, with his stick-like limbs and Joker/Fawful-esque slasher grin, but especially the glasses obscuring his face, and revelation that his eyes are completely normal - blue in fact - reminding us that he really is just a human being... which of course only makes the things he's done all the more horrific in retrospect. Far better to me than "HO HO ROBOTIC RED EYES INDICATE HE'S EVIL, GET IT????"

He doesn't build much of his own creations. While scientist villains are far from new, Robotnik was one of the few who could make his own devices and not always have to rely on the intellect of lesser scientists/minions/whatever. With Julian, you barely see much of that 300 IQ. Usually it's Snively doing most of basically everything.

Conquering the world in a rubbish manner. Everyone always talks about how he successfully conquered the world. He only did so because he stole a certain machine at a convenient moment, which (as mentioned) wasn't even something he built. If he had won by using his supposed intelligence and meticulous planning - or at least by using something created by himself - I might have understood the hype a bit more. Even when Ivo "just steals something", he tends to make plenty of modifications to it.

-I also agree with Mechano about SA1's plot being merely okay, and the general and irritating insist that grimdark is automatically an instant win and a more mellow and softer world is a phrase that previously used to indicate great happiness, nowadays manipulated by young slanderous miscreants as an obligatory degrading verbal stab to many an innocuous victim in addition to their very own credibility. Not that I'm one to talk about youths. I'm 19.

-Another not-really-sure-if-it's-that-unpopular one: as well as my general distaste for Nega, I don't really buy others' reasonings for why he's good. For example, when they say that he's the Chaos to Robotnik's Order, I only act even more hissy, because I thought this war was going perfectly fine between Robotnik and Sonic, and I liked the Order side being the evil one for once. Too many times in media - even when an Order-oriented villain seems to be the main antagonist at first - the Chaotic side is the ultimate endgame finale, and Ivo here changes that, even with those pesky god monsters in the way. So having Nega come along and ruin that is a downer. Thankfully he only really appears in the Olympic crossovers these days, so hopefully I don't need to worry about him as much. As for him being, er, Blaze's Robotnik, I'd rather she have her own antagonist that wasn't just "Robotnik, but better". Hell, even Whisker would be better, and he's a Robotnik-alike too.

-Because of him being the hilarious kind of bad, I hold Black Doom in higher regards than I do Nega and Mephiles. And while he still had a crap design, I did like the Wizeman-esque physique, and would still take Halo-Wizeman over Robotnik the 2nd and Fridge Shadow.

-Yet another not-that-unpopular opinion, but Erazor and Ix are both criminally underrated and need more recognition. I also don't have that much issues with Erazor's English cowboy voice, at least in comparison to Black "Dr. Claw" Doom and Mephiles the "Dan Green is the Real Crispin Freeman" Dark.

-I don't really like Neo Metal Sonic's design that much. Longer spikes? Good. More darker colours? Fair enough. But the elf shoes and waist-cape? Game over, man. Game over.

-I had no issues with the stage choices for Generations (the console version anyways), since I felt they went to great lengths to make them stand out from each other, such as making Seaside Hill more of a water zone and Rooftop Run more of a bouncy zone.

-3D Blast and ShtH are my guilty pleasures. The former for nostalgia (I was introduced to Sonic in 2003, with Advance 2 (of all games) and then Mega Collection), and the latter for being just like it's central antagonist - funny-bad.

-Incidentally, that's precisely the reason why I feel even Shadow's Amnesiac Voyages of the DAMNed are better than Sonic 2006. The former was doomed from the very beginning, but the latter could have been fantastic. But of course, it wasn't.

-Aside from Nack and Mecha Sonic MKII, I don't really care all that much for the "forgotten" characters. I'm especially tired of the Tails Doll and Honey, the former for every fanfiction and fanart he's caused and the latter for just... bugging me. She just rubs me the wrong way. Oh, and Nazo. He can go and Rule 34 himself elsewhere.

-I like Unleashed's attempt at "real" locales more than I do SA2's. The latter had the problem of "Sonic in ___", when it should really be vice-versa (___ Sonic-style)... if that makes any sense. Now combine Unleashed's style of realism with the colourful worlds of... well, the majority of the other games, and you have the perfect Soniverse.

-I always thought Jet and Johnny were the only two characters who truly count as "rivals" in the sense that the only goal is to be better than Sonic, as opposed to an ulterior motive (Shadow in SA2), misunderstandings (Blaze), manipulations (Knuckles and Silver), or simply being too murderous for ordinary rival standards (Metal Sonic).

-I like Solaris Phase 1 more than I do Phase 2. I also prefer the majority of 2006's entire soundtrack as well, for that matter. Aquatic Base and Egg Wyvern are my homeboys.

-A(n even more) petty one: I get unnecessarily irritated when I see yet another unoriginal Sonic (or anything else) FMV/AMV/whatnot with the use of the lyric themes, especially His World and Live & Learn. Every time I start a YouTube video, see some sort of "amazing" feat (usually involving explosions or bright flashes) and then the subsequent first beat of His World, I sadly admit I am prone to actually, seriously saying out loud, "Oh, fuck off." I'm not proud of it, but there's no smoke without fire.

-While I do like Rooftop Run Day, that's not my favourite Unleashed level theme by a long shot. I prefer various other ones, but particularly Jungle Joyride Night.

-I actually liked the Time Eater's music themes. Now I don't dislike Solaris/Perfect Dark Gaia/Nega-Wisp Armor's themes by any means, I love them in fact, but the problem is that it's easy to forget which one's which, so you need to mix things up with variety. Take the Mario RPGs for example - Smithy doesn't sound the same as the Shadow Queen, Cackletta doesn't sound the same as the Dark Star Core, etc etc. As such, I grew quickly fond of Time Eater's more straight-up ominous approach, and it bothers me how much bile it tends to get simply for not being an orchestra.

-I love Rush's soundtrack very much... but I like Rush Adventure's one even more.

-I like Mecha Sonic MKII and Johnny more than Metal Sonic.

-While I don't really like the Rivals games all that much, I did like some of their zone ideas (Death Yard/Meteor Base/Frontier Canyon come to mind), and would like to see similar zones (made more traditionally Sonicish) in the future.

-I like both of CD's soundtracks. Same goes for 3D Blast.

-I always thought it'd be cool if a future game had a cameo boss rush consisting of the Mean Bean Machine and Spinball robots, despite the obvious canonical problems regarding this.

Hope that's enough for now.

To me, there's no point having "epic storylines" and "great characterisation" if the game is still mediocre to shit. This is why I don't hold Unleashed in high regard and find Colours and Generations miles better, even if Unleashed is an okay game. Obviously the games would benefit with both, but in this instance it rarely HAS both.

Honestly this seems an unpopular opinion if this thread is anything to go by as everyone is obsessed by the "atmosphere". And even then, I think Generations nailed the art style, just enough realism and just enough surrealism.

This too, even if I did like Unleashed.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 5

Knuckles should keep being able to leave Angel Island and partake in stories even if they don't in any way involve the Master Emerald.

This used to be a very popular opinion, but these days more and more people are saying that he should always stay on his island unless he has some very specific reason to leave it (Which is, btw, is a principle that Sega themselves has never gone by, so to have Knux start being forbidden to leave Angel Island now would essentially be the same as doing a huge retcon of his lifestyle. Just saying).

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not sure if this is unpopular, but regarding what Naka said a few weeks ago.

-I never found the old Sonic games to be that hard or challenging, I felt he was talking out of his ass there.

Behold more of my awesome opinions!:

- I think Sega should have hired Kevin Conroy to do Shadows voice. No I'm serious. Even though I think Kirk Thorton does a good job.

- I think Eggman should be given a smoking hot female assisitant.

- I think Amy's personality from chronicles should be her permanent personality from now on. I'm getting sick of her being portrayed as a stalker fangirl.

- I think the chaotix should get their own spin off series.

- I would like some of the characters to interact with those they wouldn't normally interact with. Just think about Blaze talking to rogue or Shadow having an interaction with big.

• Thumbs Up 2

- I think Eggman should be given a smoking hot female assisitant.

While not a bad opinion really, I would hate this so much. I'm just tired of every male character in everything needing a female counterpart all the damn time.

How exactly would Eggman go about hiring ANY assistant? I mean, would anyone really try and apply to work under him, take a look at the guy and go:

111eggman.jpg

"Yes. I want this guy as my boss. This is the WINNING TEAM."

• Thumbs Up 9

While not a bad opinion really, I would hate this so much. I'm just tired of every male character in everything needing a female counterpart all the damn time.

Me too actually.

I actually like that, minions like Metal Sonic or Orbot/Cubot aside, he's rather lonely for the most part, doing things himself with everything else being walking tools. And I imagine, despite being egotistical as one can get, he likes being alone, since he can make his plots in peace.

Great idea. But I feel she'll either steal the show or just be problem.

Maybe in a game that's more story based.

If there's going to be a female assistant her personality should be like Lien-da's

Great idea. But I feel she'll either steal the show or just be problem.

Maybe in a game that's more story based.

If there's going to be a female assistant her personality should be like Lien-da's

Eh, not a fan of her, or most Starscream-like characters in general.

If it was up to me, I'd have a small guy dressed like a jester, with pie bombs and unicycles, and speaks like a typical Renfield. Or something.

If it was up to me, I'd have a small guy dressed like a jester, with pie bombs and unicycles, and speaks like a typical Renfield. Or something.

I vote for this.

But what if she was shaped like an omelette and named Omelettewoman?

• Thumbs Up 2

No thanks.

The Rule 34 doesn't need to get even worse.

But omlettes look messy.

- I want to actually see Sonic punch Eggman in the face, been looking forward for this since the intro to Colo(u)rs and they didn't deliver it.

He was going to punch Eggma in the face, but then he saw the Sonic Cycle instead and well...

truth-hurts-sometimes-haters.png

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh, forgot to say this before I don't like Professor Pickle. Never thought he was funny, just annoying. Hope he never appears again.

• Thumbs Up 2