Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

Well...I like Knuckles Chaotix. Sonic Battle. Black Knight. Secret Rings. And Unleashed. (Both versions)

Big The Cat is my personal favourite Sonic character. While the only Sonic games I can say I hate are Shadow The Hedgehog and...thats all really...

I can tolerate Chronicles, 06 and a couple of the other apparent awful ones...

*Travels back in time to 2006... at least I think thats when we found out about it.*

Sonic Wildfire Secret Rings was utterly dreadful when it came out and is probably worse than Sonic 06 in many many ways.

You might remember when Secret Rings came out, people were raging about how awesome it was and how it was so so so so much better than everything else in existance including sliced bread.

So out I go, pick up a Wii, and a few games including this one... get it home and got as far as the fucking dinosaur egg level before throwing the disk on my shelf in disgust thinking how on earth is this a fun game!?

Sonic, you can't control him. At least with Sonic 06 you only had the warp zones where control was pretty much dead, you had some degree of control otherwise. Secret Rings, there is nothing. Yank your arm and hope Sonic moves just to the right side of the path you want him to go down.

Jumping just frankly doesn't work. You need to develop a skill of doing the jump movement a few seconds before the object appears because it's that laggy and bad.

The whole game is pretty much a crap excuse for a mini game.... Why am I collecting dinosaur eggs? Why can't I just progress through the stages? Why do I have to play the same level several times over only this time with a gimmick or task asigned. THIS IS CRAP! It's just not fun in any way.

Thankfully a lot of people have now sorta agreed that the storybook games have always been quite lame if not lamer than even the riders series.

But back when the game was first out. Sayin that Secret Rings was a bad game... you might as well have gone and asked a mod to delete your account considering the reaction you got.

The werehog was an okay idea.

I agree.

The main problem with the werehog is that he seems to be so amazingly underpowered at the start of the game that it takes forever to actually beat the initial stages. Just think about this for a moment.

With Sonic games, typically one beats them, then they shave a chunk off their time and then it's usually a few seconds off until they reach their limit.

With the werehog... typically... one beat it... then shaved off 15-30 min when they returned after the werehog was levelled up. This is crazy, if anything it suggests that the werehog could have been much more powered up at the start of the game.

But also combine that with how the first werehog levels throw everything that the werehog needed to do at you, it's such a barrage of skills one needs to understand right from the word go, I'm not surprised most people disliked it.

When you look at what the werehog actually does, puzzle solving and slow platforming etc. There could have been great stages here. When you're fully powered up you can sorta see were the werehog works best. But I dunno... maybe if they had made the werehog more like Drake from Uncharted or Monkey from Enslaved it might have been a better idea.

• Thumbs Up 7

My one though?

I'd fucking love to see a Sonic Metroidvania. An actual one, Tails Adventure doesn't count. If it were done well enough, fangasms would be HAD.

You know... I'd honestly love to see that, too. Metroidvanias are one of my favorite subgenres, and seeing how it would be done Sonic-style honestly intrigues me.

This:

I really hate the "Sonic universe" comic because the way they tell the story and characters in it.... it makes me cringe when seeing and reading it. Just like the Sonic X series....

I kind of liked Sonic and the Secret Rings (or at least parts of it), and I think Modern Sonic's boostboostboost gameplay convention isn't a bad thing in the slightest, though the recent changes made to the controls that allow for more precision platforming is certainly welcome.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 3

MOAR UNPOPULAR OPINIONS:

-I like Secret Rings a lot. I find it a rather fun game in it's own way.

-I like Sonic 4 Episode 2 as well. The physics could be a little better, but otherwise I think it's a fun game.

• Thumbs Up 4

But back when the game was first out. Sayin that Secret Rings was a bad game... you might as well have gone and asked a mod to delete your account considering the reaction you got.

I 100% remember this.

It was not pleasant.

I like Sonic 2006. I think people wanna kill you or ask you what is wrong with you when you say that. I don't care, the music was awesome and as sad as it may seem, that was probably my favorite thing and maybe even the best thing about the game. It is one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic CD (yes, even before the Taxman remake) is one of the best in the series, and is probably one of my favorite games ever.

..what? Most of SSMB (AND Retro!) hates this game, that's truefax.

Plus, the whole "oh it's overrated" thing that makes no sense, since if everyone says it's overrated then it'snotreallyoverratedyoudumbbots

Oh yes, and exactly what Nepenthe said about Sonic Unleashed, since I'm starting to wonder when we'll ever see that much love, effort, and ambition put into another Sonic game ever again.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 7

Sonic CD (yes, even before the Taxman remake) is one of the best in the series, and is probably one of my favorite games ever.

..what? SSMB hates this game, that's truefax.

Plus, the whole "oh it's overrated" thing that makes no sense, since if everyone says it's overrated then it'snotreallyoverratedyoudumbbots

haha I agree. and that signature is hilarious. I have been meaning to tell you that for some time now hehe.

Why?
Because there isn't a single good thing in it. Rolling doesn't work, and even if it did the spindash is overpowered to the point that nothing else matters. The platforming is the most bog-standard bland imaginable. The gameplay is incredibly stiff and restrictive.

At least with the werehog I get the visceral enjoyment of smashing shit and some amount of fluidity in the platforming. I get nothing out of Generations Classic.

- I think Sonic Adventure 2 is largely overrated. I only play it for the "Speed Character" Acts. (Don't get me wrong, I understand the game was outstanding for its time, I just don't enjoy it anymore)

- I enjoy the Sonic 4 saga for what it is, even though drastic Improvements can be made. If this was a full game I would probably be saying this though.

Edited by KoalaPoop

I like the American Palmtree Panic music more than the Japanese version. I hate the Japanese version. Especially that stupid "YEAH" cheering noise.

I liked the shooting stages from SA2(though I prefer them for Eggman than Tails).

Duh, how could I forget this one?

The PC version of S3K has a far superior soundtrack to the original Megadrive version. Seriously this:

Is so much better than this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I've got one. I like SA2 a lot more than SA1. I dunno, in SA2, I like almost every stage in the game, but in SA1, I really don't like playing as other characters (minus Tails), and I only like about half of Sonic's stages. So basically, I like 5/6 of SA2, but 1/2 or 1/3 of SA1.

• Thumbs Up 1

Duh, how could I forget this one?

The PC version of S3K has a far superior soundtrack to the original Megadrive version. Seriously this:

[media=]

Is so much better than this.

I may have to try and track down the PC version now. wacko.png

^is there really much of a difference besides the shading style (and that really annoying crease between his head and the bottom two spikes, which tumor'd it's way in from the previous western Sonic artwork)?

Actually, now that I think about it, there is much more of a difference. Classic Sonic from Generations (which was all overly "cutesy") looked almost exactly the same in proportion and features as that picture you just posted. JP Sonic artwork was much different than that, and admittedly evolving as time went on.

Edited by Azukara

Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are both pretty terrible games. The Tails and Eggman levels in SA2 are more fun than the actual Sonic stages, and overall Heroes is a more enjoyable game than SA or SA2 even if the story is crap.

Also, I'd like to see SEGA create a truly open world Sonic game based around exploration and completing missions than simply Run From Point A to Point B.

• Thumbs Up 1

^is there really much of a difference besides the shading style (and that really annoying crease between his head and the bottom two spikes, which tumor'd it's way in from the previous western Sonic artwork)?

I think it may be the eyes. Japanese classic Sonic's eyes seem to annoy me for some reason...

Bring on the hate mail and forum responses dissecting every detail of this post!

- I loved Sonic 4 Ep 1. To me, the physics thing is such a non-issue that I can't help but roll my eyes at the people who care about it. In fact, I would go as far to say I never once heard the word "physics" mentioned within the Sonic fanbase before that original 5 second teaser for Ep 1 popped up. Then suddenly, out of nowhere, it became the driving force behind the Genesis games.

- I like Unleashed Wii's Day Stages just fine. They're not as jaw-dropping fantastic as the HD version's, but they're still good.

- Sonic Adventure 2 is vastly overrated. I wouldn't call it bad, and it does hold a little nostalgia for me. But I will never understand why some people consider it to be one of the best games in the series. 2/3rd's of it doesn't even feel a Sonic game.

- I'm not sure if this one is "unpopular", but I enjoyed Sonic Chronicles. I didn't even know there was much hate for that game until rather recently.

- Saying that Sonic Colours' writing of Sonic and Tails isn't the second coming of Jesus compared to other game's writing. The Bromance? Made of win. Orbot and Cubot? Freaking awesome. Eggman? Again, awesome. Especially the Intercom lines. Sonic's and Tails' characterization? I've seen a lot better.

I loved the writing in Sonic Colors, especially when compared to some of the god-awful writing this series has produced in the past. When the game first came out, it looked to me like everyone liked it just fine. But then six months later it appeared that everyone changed their minds. Don't really understand that.

I'm on board with the "Sonic isn't back" Train. The games are good imo. They really are. I enjoy them as much as the classics and Love generations to death. BUT,much could be improved. Tweaking the characters to not have such a strong focus on speed would be nice. I'd say more like generations, but with improved mechanics(like acceleration) and redesigning the boost, mixed with The concepts the Adventure games had in mind. The games are respected now, and I'm happy about that. But the games aren't that good that majority will say "Sonic is back and will be back for awhile now."(although Classic Sonic is 10 times better than the werehog. Just had to get that in there. The werehog had nothing but button mashing. not a lot to do there aside from the occasional platform section. Classic Sonic although not perfect I think beats out the werehog. I still feel I'm playing a sonic game Even if it doesn't play perfectly.)

I honestly don't like City Escapes them as much as other lyric themes. It could be the cheesyness or something, But I actually don't get the love it gets. I actually like Speak with your heart more.

Edited by Sora