Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

Subsequently, I thought the extreme backlash to Black Knight's reveal was unwarranted; the bitching about the series' so-called end and Sega's betrayal to Sonic's character was a fucking embarrassment. People were determined to shit on the concept from the beginning when I found it perfectly logical. What is the point of dropping Sonic or any of the other characters into Authurian times if you're not going to make some of them knights in some form?

I remember being particularly pissed off at an article Stadium published, which consisted of something like "Dear SEGA, *picture of Black Knight reveal* NO, from Everyone" And a lot more. It was down right embarrassing.

Black Knight was a really unexpected and strange. It had plenty of potential that sadly was missed right from the get-go.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

The concept of the storybook series is utterly bizarre, but I like it. And the idea of giving Sonic a sword could have worked for a spin-off title if the gameplay wasn't on-rails and totally combat-focused.

And if the sword controls worked better. I thought the idea of Sonic with a sword was cool.

But, yeah, I agree about the Storybook concept. I'm still hoping for a third Storybook title. It's fun to see all the characters being someone else.

Here it goes another one:

I really like the '06 ingame model of Sonic...

I find him really cute, it kinda of remembers me more of an animal... the SA2 model passes the same vibe to me...

I don't really like the unleashed model of Sonic... he looks too much like a cartoon character there (more than it should)... Sonic used to have it's own style without trying to imitate Pixar, I liked that... anyway... that's it.

come at me bros!!!!

I prefer the separat versions of Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles over the combine Sonic 3&Knuckles version.

- Any real opposition to Sonic having sinister forms is without any real merit. Sonic has had just as many dark-looking forms as positive ones across multiple Sonic media (Darkspine Sonic, Werehog, Frenzy form, Void form, Dark Sonic in X) and they were all handled well (Dark Sonic debateably). Sonic Team has proven that giving Sonic aggressive traits in more negative/"dark" forms doesn't detract from the character and is handled fairly well. So the controversy of having Sonic forms that are "Darker and Edgier" doesn't hold a lot of water.

- No, replacing the Werehog with Knuckles wouldn't make much of a difference. And if it did regarding the reception of that gameplay then it's bias. Simple as.

- For all of '06's badness, Chronicles is easily worse because it does more things wrong. It's just as bad but easily wins out as worse because of it's horrifically bad soundtrack and piss poor visuals. I think it is absolutely astounding that this dreck got such positive acclaim in magazines and on websites. But then isn't it rumoured that Bioware/EA bribed some people to say positive things about it?

- The title "SA3" getting such flak is mostly unwarranted. From my perceptions, it's as if there's automatic opposition to the title because of recent huge backlash towards SA2 as much as it is due to the games nowadays not being so Adventure series-like and therefore not likely to exceed expectations of those who want "SA3". There's nothing intrinsically wrong for people to desire a game that has enormous similarities to the Adventure games like multiple playable characters and Chao.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 2

I prefer the separat versions of Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles over the combine Sonic 3&Knuckles version.

i think that unleashed is better than generations, in my personal opinion. I know it gets a lot of shit because of the whole "werehog" aspect, but i really loved those sections. plus, i don't know what it is exactly, but i find that unleashed looks soooo much more realistic than generations...maybe its the textures or something... although i will say that graphics are rendered a bit better in generations, but now I'm just rambling :/

• Thumbs Up 2

I loved the Treasure Hunting in SA2, especially Knuckles' stages!

Which brings me to another point: I LOVE the rap/hip hop songs, like Space Trip Steps and Dive into the Mellow. They are catchy and suit the character of Knuckles perfectly. <3 Its too bad they stopped using this style of music in future Sonic games. ;w;

• Thumbs Up 8

Which brings me to another point: I LOVE the rap/hip hop songs, like Space Trip Steps and Dive into the Mellow. They are catchy and suit the character of Knuckles perfectly. <3 Its too bad they stopped using this style of music in future Sonic games. ;w;

I think I love you. <3

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I love you. <3

Me too. <3

The songs are so catchy, I sing to them sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know about Space Trip Steps, but I enjoy Dive into the Mellow (Both the song and the level it is for)

And yes, I really enjoyed the treasure hunting stages too in both Adventures! (I even enjoyed Death Chamber ohmy.png ) I just cannot stand Security Hall.

Rouge the bat has some excellent tracks too.

This one being my personal favorite.

Preach!

EDIT: I really liked the hip hop in the Knuckles levels as well, heck I even added Hunnid P on facebook =W=

Edited by OneDoesNotSimplySuperJXJ

I prefer Jason Griffith's Sonic voice over Roger's one, his performance in the storybook games were amazing IMO; it showed other sides to Sonic's personality other than his usual cockiness.

I still like Roger though and I'm sure he'll improve after a few more games when he eventually fits into the role of Sonic.

I like all of the rap songs in the adventure games. I also like Amy's theme song.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also like Amy's theme song.

Yeah....Me too.

Oh no, it's in my head right now.

I still think Ryan was a good voice actor for Sonic and was better than Jason in terms of tone of voice and the ability to present emotion, mostly enthusiasm. When prompted, there were also times where a serious, sad, or climatic moment could wrangle some surprisingly good acting from Ryan, my favorite particular moment being in Heroes when Sonic and co. boarded the Egg Fleet. The line he says when they arrive is okay, if not narmy, but Ryan gives it such a determined and serious undertone that he nails it within the context of the situation. I further remember someone elsewhere posted a compilation video of sound bytes from SA2, with no context or music, and it wasn't as godawful as I had been led to believe throughout the years of criticism towards Ryan. It actually surprised me with how inoffensive and enjoyable it was, and frankly I think he could still knock it out of the park if he came back and was privy to the script writing and direction going on now.

Jason, on the other hand, got much better as Sonic as time went on and culminated in a great performance in Black Knight, but I sometimes get the feeling his more worse moments and characters are partly downplayed by the fact that he had such a sour relationship with the fanbase that was never properly amended when he left. They stretched him thin over several characters, and I've never been convinced he had a particularly notable range to make that work. Riders and even ShtH Sonic was just awful. Jet was fucking awful all around (I love the new guy though; reminds me of Jason Marsden). His Shadow is okay, but bits of Sonic had a habit of sneaking back in, especially in Sonic X, and David Humphrey was simply superior anyway. His Werehog did nothing for me: way too growly to the extent of always sounding pissed off. My avatar blew the role away without having to take on a more feral persona to do so.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 4

- Archie Sonic, to me, is the equivalent of a glorified fanfic with annoying fancharacter-esque characters who bury the SEGA characters and leech the attention away from them.

- I thought that Sonic X's music in the unmutilated version could actually be pretty good with catchy songs like "S-Team #2" and "From episode 28 - Battle". And the song that plays when Cosmo traansforms is very haunting yet pretty. Pity it ain't on the OST sad.png

- SatAM Robotnik is grossly overrated in the villainy and evilness department.

- Speaking of SatAM, A far more appropriate title for this cartoon would be "Princess Sally and the Freedom Fighters. Starring SEGA's Sonic the Hedgehog" considering it ain't Sonic's show.

- No. Game Amy isn't as demented and crazy as the fandom makes her out to be. She has many redeeming and fascinating aspects. Her entire character doesn't revolve around being a Sonic stalker. She is one of Sonic's most loyal friends and is very self-sufficient and brave.

- I agree with Nepenthe in that Tomokazu Seki made the Werehog. To me, he made him sound so whimsical when fighting, which the form itself exudes in droves during fights because of his moves. Yet he also sounded very level-headed as well and cool, never really going into growly territory either. Like normal Sonic. Even when Chip kicked him in the face, JP Werehog's tone is mild when he enquires if Chip is ok.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 6

- SatAM Robotnik is grossly overrated in the villainy and evilness department.

Whenever I hear his voice, my brain doesn't think of the mad scientist we all know and love, but a generic warlord with his (US) name slapped on him.

- Archie Sonic, to me, is the equivalent of a glorified fanfic with annoying fancharacter-esque characters who bury the SEGA characters and leech the attention away from them.

It hasn't been that way for a years now, ever since Ken Penders left it's been everything but that.. Ian's run pretty much saved it from being original characters starring Sonic.

Edited by Alice