Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

It hasn't been that way for a years now, ever since Ken Penders left it's been everything but that.. Ian's run pretty much saved it from being original characters starring Sonic.

I don't agree. There's still been arc's without SEGA characters in sight and when they are, they're shunted out of the limelight such as the arc with Scourge in jail with featured no SEGA characters at all (No, the alternate zone incarnations of SEGA characters don't count) and the arc with Silver in the alternate dimension with the Enerjak who can steal Cores and turn them into prelates which is even strengthened by the fact it was inspired by fanwork (And my GOD does it show).

Also, randomly sprinkling in Sonic internet memes doesn't make the comics better. To me, it just comes off as some kind of vain attempt to pander and isn't really funny or constructive.

The following isn't an unpopular opinion from what I've seen around here recently though - Relying on Universe to tell the tale the main series should be telling isn't a good idea in any way because 1 - It screws up the continuities timeline due to differing release dates of issues, resulting in plot points being revealed and/or being wrapped up before the other corresponding issue and 2 - Means you have to buy two comics to get the gist of what the hell is actually going on.

I don't agree. There's still been arc's without SEGA characters in sight and when they are, they're shunted out of the limelight such as the arc with Scourge in jail with featured no SEGA characters at all (No, the alternate zone incarnations of SEGA characters don't count) and the arc with Silver in the alternate dimension with the Enerjak who can steal Cores and turn them into prelates which is even strengthened by the fact it was inspired by fanwork (And my GOD does it show).

Also, randomly sprinkling in Sonic internet memes doesn't make the comics better. To me, it just comes off as some kind of vain attempt to pander and isn't really funny or constructive.

The following isn't an unpopular opinion from what I've seen around here recently though - Relying on Universe to tell the tale the main series should be telling isn't a good idea in any way because 1 - It screws up the continuities timeline due to differing release dates of issues, resulting in plot points being revealed and/or being wrapped up before the other corresponding issue and 2 - Means you have to buy two comics to get the gist of what the hell is actually going on.

That's kinda true I guess in a sense, but Univese is pretty much a series that doesn't revolve around Sonic as the main character.

Everything will get in the way and it becomes convulted a heck of a lot more. So that's why there's a second series. Sure they could just add it as a seperate story in the main comic. but then that means the main comic will just be dragged out for being cut in half.

Also the Silver arc was actually inspired by a Comic Ian Flynn wrote before joining Archie it's called 'other M' I thought that was a pretty cool throw back. And it's my favorite arc.

The 'memes' if you can even call them that. Aren't really that much of a bother, they're not out of place and they fit because it's what the characters would say and it's more of a 'Oh yeah, I recognize that' thing

Overall they're really just a shout out to the fans of the comic.

Edited by Alice

the arc with Silver in the alternate dimension with the Enerjak who can steal Cores and turn them into prelates which is even strengthened by the fact it was inspired by fanwork (And my GOD does it show).

Not to say you don't have a point (you do), but what, exactly, is wrong with the first Silver arc being inspired by fanwork? That just seems a bit surprisingly biased on your part. I mean, I personally couldn't care about what inspired a given work, as long as the work itself is good.

Ah, now that you've reminded me, I have another unpopular (?) opinion to tell: I've read some fanfics that, in terms of story and writing, are far better than pretty much everything Sonic Team has put out so far.

Not to say you don't have a point (you do), but what, exactly, is wrong with the first Silver arc being inspired by fanwork? That just seems a bit surprisingly biased on your part. I mean, I personally couldn't care about what inspired a given work, as long as the work itself is good.

Ah, now that you've reminded me, I have another unpopular (?) opinion to tell: I've read some fanfics that, in terms of story and writing, are far better than pretty much everything Sonic Team has put out so far.

Don't get me wrong, I quite agree with the notion that some fanfics are far, far superior to a lot of Sonic Team output story, writing and characterization-wise. This is the reason why I roll my eyes at anyone who condemns every single Sonic fanfic on general principle as being inherently awful just because it's from fans when quite a few out of the thousands of fics and other fanwork I've read blows the official game stories/characterizations/overall writing out of the water.

But when "professional" work is inspired by something that already shows prejudices about certain characters and this is reflected in the "professional" work, that is when the negative side of fanwork shows i.e The reputation of a lot of fanwork morphing characters. And IMO, that ain't an entirely good thing.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 1

Martin Burke (Sonic OVA) is my favorite Sonic voice actor. His voice really gives Sonic the attitude he needs.

I think that some fans are too hard on Archie Sonic. I don't think that some people understand how hard it is to take a videogame series and make it into a monthly comic book series.

Giving the fact that Archie Sonic has lasted this long they must be doing something right.

Fans are Overreacting about Ian using ideas from his old fanfic(Other M).

As for the Scourge arc in Sonic Universe we got that arc because fans wanted to see Scourge again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ian worked on Metroid?

Ian worked on Metroid?

Hahahaha, come on. Give the man some credit.

.....no he didn't.

Also, I'm still finding it odd that not liking Archie is somehow an unpopular opinion, based on what I've noticed, most fans don't see to like the comics, unless I'm wrong somehow.

Edited by The Groosenator

Ian worked on Metroid?

Nah, this fanfic was written before he even started on the comics in 2006. Coincidence.

Now this one is crazy...

I really think Johnny Gioeli from Crush 40 has a voice that would suit Sonic really well...

I don't know why... the tone, just sounds right...

Especially in this song (even more when you consider part of it being sung in Sonic's point of view):

[media=]

go figure...

Ian worked on Metroid?

Other M (Other Mobius)

nnpu15.jpg

I think that some fans are too hard on Archie Sonic. I don't think that some people understand how hard it is to take a videogame series and make it into a monthly comic book series.

Giving the fact that Archie Sonic has lasted this long they must be doing something right.

As for the Scourge arc in Sonic Universe we got that arc because fans wanted to see Scourge again.

People are now complaining about Quake Woman in the Mega man comic. I wish people knew how monthly ongoing comics worked.

- Archie Sonic, to me, is the equivalent of a glorified fanfic with annoying fancharacter-esque characters who bury the SEGA characters and leech the attention away from them.

- SatAM Robotnik is grossly overrated in the villainy and evilness department.

- Speaking of SatAM, A far more appropriate title for this cartoon would be "Princess Sally and the Freedom Fighters. Starring SEGA's Sonic the Hedgehog" considering it ain't Sonic's show.

Unpopular Opinion: I think SatAM is a rather excellent kids show, and find it a pretty creative spin on the bare-bones plots of the Genesis games. Was it the bestest show ever? No, but it was a pretty great video-game-based show in a period where those sorts of things were virtually unheard of.

Unpopular Opinion part II: From personal experience, I think there might be just as many (if not more) unreasonable SatAM haters as there are actual unreasonable fans of the show. :/

Unpopular Opinion part III: You could pick any given lame Sonic show and it would still be better written than anything we got from the pre-Colors era.

Alright, hand me the noose.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular Opinion - SatAM is not some kind of crowning achievement for the Sonic series, it's an example of how good DiC can be when it comes to writing shows. I say this because it was an In Name Only Adaptation and is too far divorced from the rest of the franchise to be considered an achievement for the Sonic series. It really isn't IMO. It's an achievement for DiC.

I thought that the flamboyancy of AoStH doesn't make up for the badness of it's animation and I find it's characters except for Robotnik, it's music and it's garishness abrasive and irritating.

I never once thought Sonic R was bad, and is in fact one of my favorites. Same with Sonic 3D.

Also, "Open your Heart" > "Live and Learn" IMO

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular Opinion: I think SatAM is a rather excellent kids show, and find it a pretty creative spin on the bare-bones plots of the Genesis games. Was it the bestest show ever? No, but it was a pretty great video-game-based show in a period where those sorts of things were virtually unheard of.

Unpopular Opinion part II: From personal experience, I think there might be just as many (if not more) unreasonable SatAM haters as there are actual unreasonable fans of the show. :/

Unpopular Opinion part III: You could pick any given lame Sonic show and it would still be better written than anything we got from the pre-Colors era.

Alright, hand me the noose.

I agree with most of what you said there, but i do think that some (but not many) pre-Colors Sonic games were able to succeed the writing in most Sonic shows. Sonic Adventure is the best example. The only thing about that games script that didn't work was the badly translated dialogue.

Also, I'm still finding it odd that not liking Archie is somehow an unpopular opinion, based on what I've noticed, most fans don't see to like the comics, unless I'm wrong somehow.

Considering the fact that it was able to run near 20 years since it was made, and despite what you've seen, the comics have a sizable fanbase of their own. Sonic may make most of the cash in the Games, but the comics aren't much to slouch at either when it comes to their readerbase.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gaah, I can't stop myself from posting in this thread!

Anyway, I don't know if I've mentioned it anywhere, but I despise Project Chaos.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles' soundtrack is a weird one. I never played the game until 2007, when I was 13, and yet I cherish it, along with the soundtrack, as if it were an important part of my childhood.

A remix album for Sonic 3K could work, but a lot of care would have to be put into it. I'm not saying that Project chaos didn't, but when I see (or hear) something that I like so much being, in my eyes, unintentionally insulted, or butchered, I can't help but complain. I like complaining. :P

So I'll have a look at every song in the album.

Angel Island

This track is alright. It's nice and peaceful, and conjures up images of a tropical seaside paradise, which Angel Island (Zone) more or less is, except with a bit more jungle to it. However, the bad thing is that, if you were to ask me what it were a remix of, I could just as easily say this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MwCzCMCXw

Hydrocity

Well it's faithful to the original version of the song (act 1, at least) but that lead guitar just sounds awful. I'm not sure whether it's the guitar itself or just the way it's played, but I just don't like it, and it's played throughout the whole song, where the original Hydrocity music was rich in instrument diversity. I prefer the way Jun Senoue handles a guitar personally. (a remix of Hydrocity by him would be something worth hearing, I really liked the original)

Marble Garden

Hmm, not horrible. The fact that it has lyrics is, surprisingly, not the off-putting thing to me. Once again it is the melody. Personally, the similarities and overall differences between the original song and the remix are very comparable with the similarities and differences between "Message from Nightopia" and "Growing Wings".

Carnival Night

It's an okay song, but it doesn't really sound like Carnival night. I personally get more of a "Lava Reef mixed with Sonic 1's final zone" vibe, with a little bit of Carnival Night's melody chucked in for good measure.

Ice Cap

This one's actually not too bad. The melody's all there, there's no rubbish guitar, though it could do with being a little more atmospheric. Doing a complete 180 from the Angel Island remix, I don't imagine a frozen wasteland (or a winter paradise, however you perceive the level) from listening to this music.

Launch Base

Sounds more like a Groovy remix of Gene Gadget.

Mushroom Hill

I actually really like this remix. One of the gems in the album. It doesn't really make me think of a woodland forest with fungi growing everywhere, but makes up for that by being a very interesting, unique mix. I also like the addition of Knuckles' theme in there, without seeming at all forced.

Flying Battery

Very much like Hydrocity, it's instantly recognisable (And Flying Battery is incredibly catchy) but the guitar kinda kills it. It's not as bad this time round though.

Sandopolis

Yuck. I thought Hydrocity was bad, this just multiplies the horrificness by ten. What is it with that Guitar? and those drums aren't much better.

Stupid Opera dictionary. How dare it assume that "horrificness" is not a word.

Lava Reef

This one's okay. One of the better ones. I've heard people say it sounds nothing like the original, but at least it keeps the melody. Launch Base's remix wasn't even a remix of Launch Base. Lava Reef's music is definitely Lava Reef. It does have that sort of 'hot' feeling like you're inside a volcano, but it's a bit jarring to hear the song being played at such a slow tempo.

Hidden Palace

This one is actually good. It's a good song. A glimmer of quality in a mediocre album.

Sky Sanctuary

Again, this one is quite good. Around the 0:40 mark, I always thought it sounded like the person playing the tune screwed up and attempted to carry on like nothing had happened, but apart from that, yes, this is a good track.

Death Egg

If you listen to all the songs in this order, this is like stepping out of a retirement home and into a mosh pit.

A remix of a song, whatever way you decide to use the term 'remix' has to sound like the song you are remixing, otherwise it's not a remix. Not only that, but there's virtually no melody. The carnival night remix sounded more like Death Egg.

Doomsday

Again, that guitar just doesn't sound very good. If it wasn't for that guitar, it would be a good remix.

Azure Lake

Not too bad, but suffers from the same problems as Sky Sanctuary in my opinion, there are several cases of what seem to be bum notes. It also drags a little. It takes so long to get into the lead track, imo.

Balloon Park

I'm getting more of a Pyramid Cave vibe.

Chrome Gadget

I groaned when I found out that this was a piano piece, and it took a while to get in to the main melody. But when it did, I found it to be pretty good.

Desert Palace

the Death Egg mix was a caricature of this.

Endless mine

A faithful track provoking nostalgic memories, this is what the whole album should have been.

Boss

The guitar doesn't sound too bad this time round, somehow.

Final Boss

It's good, up until 2:45. The guitar player then just decides to muck about with his guitar for two minutes.

Unpopular Opinion - SatAM is not some kind of crowning achievement for the Sonic series, it's an example of how good DiC can be when it comes to writing shows. I say this because it was an In Name Only Adaptation and is too far divorced from the rest of the franchise to be considered an achievement for the Sonic series. It really isn't IMO. It's an achievement for DiC.

Consider: At that point in time, only the Genesis games were in existence. Nowadays it could easily be termed an INO adaptation, but at the time they didn't have much to work with. The only real things missing, IMO, are the crazy candy-colored landscapes and the characters from CD.

As for the show being a crowning achievement (which is a title I think rightfully belongs to the OVA), it would be termed so not because it was so super-fantastic or anything, but because the rest of the line-up includes crap like Sonic Underground and Sonic X which make SatAM look like Batman: TAS in comparison. In another sense, it can be seen as an achievement in the way it successfully juggles its massive cast, something the games still struggle with today, or an achievement in balancing light-heartedness with a dark atmosphere, again, something the main series games have a problem with. I'm not even that big a fan of SatAM, but I can't deny that the show has its good points.

I agree with most of what you said there, but i do think that some (but not many) pre-Colors Sonic games were able to succeed the writing in most Sonic shows. Sonic Adventure is the best example. The only thing about that games script that didn't work was the badly translated dialogue.

Swap SA with SA2 and you've more or less got my views on things. It wasn't technically good, but it was charming in that cheesy B-movie sense, y'know? Other than that (and excluding Sonic Underground), I stand by my point, but I understand yours.

The only real things missing, IMO, are the crazy candy-colored landscapes and the characters from CD.

You mention that the only games at the time of SatAm's release were the MD games, and yet you mention that the only things missing were cues from Sonic CD, which wasn't out yet. :P

But either way I do agree that SatAM could have done with being a bit more colourful. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog managed it. (Then again, maybe the reason why SatAm was as non-colourful as it was was so as not to clash)

You mention that the only games at the time of SatAm's release were the MD games, and yet you mention that the only things missing were cues from Sonic CD, which wasn't out yet. tongue.png

Actually, the cartoon's run lasted long enough for CD to be released and Sonic 3 elements to be considered in a hypothetical season 3. It would've not been entirely impossible for some form of CD content to be included (at least Amy or Metal, even as girl-of-the-week/monster-of-the-week characters).