Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

Here's a VERY unpopular opinion:

Metal Sonic DOESN'T deserve to be called a main character. In the 20 years of this series' existence the guy has made a major appearance in three games (not counting spin-offs): CD, Heroes, and Sonic 4. In CD all he did was kidnap Amy and race Sonic in Stardust Speedway's Future, and in Heroes although you could make the case that he was the mastermind behind everything his portrayal was VERY weak and underwhelming for something that was supposed to be his major return. You only see him in Bullet Station and then in the Final Story while for the most part you're looking at "Eggman" all across the game. This is only made worse by Heroes' paper thin plot which doesn't do a good job at making plot twists. Can't say anything about Sonic 4 because I haven't played that.

That guy needs more on his achievements before being a main character because as it stands Rouge the Bat has done far more, and she's been put under Shadow's shadow than she has been allowed to be her own character.

• Thumbs Up 9

Here's a VERY unpopular opinion:

Metal Sonic DOESN'T deserve to be called a main character. In the 20 years of this series' existence the guy has made a major appearance in three games (not counting spin-offs): CD, Heroes, and Sonic 4. In CD all he did was kidnap Amy and race Sonic in Stardust Speedway's Future, and in Heroes although you could make the case that he was the mastermind behind everything his portrayal was VERY weak and underwhelming for something that was supposed to be his major return. You only see him in Bullet Station and then in the Final Story while for the most part you're looking at "Eggman" all across the game. This is only made worse by Heroes' paper thin plot which doesn't do a good job at making plot twists. Can't say anything about Sonic 4 because I haven't played that.

That guy needs more on his achievements before being a main character because as it stands Rouge the Bat has done far more, and she's been put under Shadow's shadow than she has been allowed to be her own character.

What about in Generations? He is a rival.

What about in Generations? He is a rival.

I said MAJOR appearance, i.e. where he is a major character. Generations only had Sonic, Tails, and Eggman as major characters, so no.

He had a minor appearance in Generations, so you can see where I'm going with this.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I said MAJOR appearance, i.e. where he is a major character. Generations only had Sonic, Tails, and Eggman as major characters, so no.

Well generations did establish who the important characters of the series are.(or characters who have the biggest roles in the series anyway) Metal sonic while not playing a major role in the game still is a important character to the series. Edited by Sora

Well generations did establish who the important characters of the series are.(or characters who have the biggest roles in the series anyway) Metal sonic while not playing a major role in the game still is a important character to the series.

Dude, stop trying to make a loophole, or whatever it is you're trying to do here because it's not going to work.

Metal Sonic had a very little role in the game and was therefore a minor character. He did more in Sonic CD which was his debut than he did in Generations, which should tell you a lot already considering they made quite a big deal over his appearance in CD. Everyone in present in Generations bar the three they focused on had minor appearances, as important as they have been. Nothing is going to change that fact.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Sonic Heroes is better than Sonic Adventure 2. I know fanboys, I know, I'm a horrible person, I'm not a true sonic fan, I deserve to rot in hell.

Oh and speaking of Sonic Adventure 2, I think that it is possibly the most overrated piece of shit in the entire goddamn series and I think it's far from being a good game in general.

And I (along with some other people here) do not think there should be a Sonic Adventure 3. And I really feel like breaking something whenever I see a comment/thread asking for it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Chronicles had the best characterization of all Sonic games.

It's true that many characters personalities had been altered from their more commonly seen personas, in other words they didn't talk and didn't act like they do in other games, but that was by and large a good thing. Many of the characters showed a much more interesting and/or fun personality here than in any other game in the series to date:

Making Rouge the resident dead-pan-snarker was great and fitted so well with her typical personality

I loved seeing Tails actually take the role of a leader. I always felt he had it in him due to his intelligence, level-headedness and common-sense. Thank you Bioware for showing us some of ol' fox boys untapped potential!

Playing Omegas obsessions and violent mindset for comedy was BRILLIANT. Like when Tails suggest they should work together with Eggman: "ORANGE FOREST CREATURE HAS GONE MAD! PREPARE IMMEDIATE DESTRUCTION!". Love it.

Eggman was at his craziest AND most competent. Awesome. And the heroes actually talked about him with genuine dread, instead of the old "oh that Eggman with his crazy ol' schemes, lol!". AWESOME.

Knuckles was... perfect. He was handled with with respect, actuall God-damn RESPECT, something that Sega pretty much stopped doing over 10 years ago. He wasn't stupid, just a bit naive. He wasn't a flaimg bullheaded jerk, just a bit hot-blooded. He handled PERFECTLY, absolutely PERFECTLY.

But yeah sure, Sonic was a bit more of a jerk than he ever should and Shadow was a pretty one-note angry guy (i guess they felt they had to have someone else playing the angry guy since Knuckles was busy being a great character for once). And while i do recognize these flaws, i still think that all things considered, Chronicles displayed the best, most interesting characters the series has ever done. And this isn't just because of the individual characters, it's how they interacted. Like i said when i first played the game; "Wow, the Sonic cast are actually having conversations in this game!". Seldom, if ever, in the series have i ever been as interested to hear (or, well, read) the characters converse as when Knuckles yells at Sonic for leaving his friends behind for such a long time, and Sonic then asks Tails how he feels about it and Tails seem reluctant to want to talk about it but you can tell that he is disapointed in his friend too. Actuall, realistic, personal conflicts in a Sonic game. One again, thank you Bioware. Your music might have sucked the big one, but still, thank you!

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 9

Dude, stop trying to make a loophole, or whatever it is you're trying to do here because it's not going to work.

Metal Sonic had a very little role in the game and was therefore a minor character. He did more in Sonic CD which was his debut than he did in that game, which should tell you a lot already considering they made quite a big deal over it. Everyone in there bar the three they focused on had minor appearances, as important as they have been. Nothing is going to change that fact.

I know everyone but Sonic Tails and Eggman were pretty much put on the bench. I get that. What I'm saying is that the characters that were put in generations Major or not essential are the big characters throughout the series. Or Sega's way of saying "these are the big characters that will be used in the series from now on." Metal Sonic just so happens to be one of them. He didn't play a role at all in generations, but was one of the big characters that people know. Probably doesn't make a ton of sense. Edited by Sora

On the SatSR slant, I honestly think that Erazor Djinn is the most competent villain in the series yet. Quite intelligent too. I haven't see Erazor's villainy get put on the high pedestal where it deserves to be. He just has his English Opera-esque voice poked fun at and it seems to be a bane to his villainy being taken seriously. He has a silly exagerrated voice that seems to be devoid of the character's essence as that of a complete monster and the nature of his villainy is definately overlooked because of it.

His aims and the ways in which he tries to achieve them are just plain diabolical. He's a manipulative bastard through and through, emotionally abusing Shahra into doing his bidding and presenting Sonic with a big Morton's Fork, of which neither option has a positive outcome, not to mention he had him fulfilling his dirty work on pain of death, forcing Sonic to run himself ragged all whilst suffering from the life draining properties of the flame arrow. He is one of those uncommon Sonic villains with no redeeming aspects and no desire to repent.

He even survives the fight with Darkspine Sonic and the only thing that truly took him down was his own lamp. It basically took a magical object forcibly being used against him to put him in his place after the Sonic form of the week couldn't.

• Thumbs Up 9

You know, after reading what Batson said about Chronicles, I guess it can be pretty easy to see a lot of the bad and overlooking the good.

Bioward DID make the characters more likable despite how "impossible" the Gaming Media thought it would be. They were off on their research of the history, but they did something we've been wishing for Sonic Team to do more. And honestly, the only character whom I can actually complain about in the game was Sonic whenever he made some rather snarky comments.

Unlike some, I'd be willing to give them another shot, but they need to do some heavier research. I mean Swatbots in the Games? Cool as they looked in Chronicles, they're non-existent in the game canon.

I know everyone but Sonic Tails and Eggman were pretty much put on the bench. I get that. What I'm saying is that the characters that were put in generations Major or not essentially are the big characters throughout the series. Or Sega's way of saying "these are the big characters that will be used in the series from now on." Metal Sonic just so happens to be one of them. He didn't play a role at all in generations, but was one of the big characters that people know. Probably doesn't make a ton of sense.

Let me say this again, because I really don't think you've gotten it since you keep pressing on with this.

Metal Sonic did not make a major appearance in Generations, so that doesn't count towards what I was saying earlier.

Metal Sonic, just like everyone else except for Sonic, Tails, and Eggman, were minor characters in Generations. I wasn't talking about how big they were in the series, and Metal's lack of major achievements compared to other characters is the main reason why I also said Metal Sonic doesn't deserve to be a series main character in addition to the fact that he's had very little major appearances.

You know, after reading what Batson said about Chronicles, I guess it can be pretty easy to see a lot of the bad and overlooking the good.

Bioward DID make the characters more likable despite how "impossible" the Gaming Media thought it would be. They were off on their research of the history, but they did something we've been wishing for Sonic Team to do more. And honestly, the only character whom I can actually complain about in the game was Sonic whenever he made some rather snarky comments.

Unlike some, I'd be willing to give them another shot, but they need to do some heavier research. I mean Swatbots in the Games? Cool as they looked in Chronicles, they're non-existent in the game canon.

Let me say this again, because I really don't think you've gotten it since you keep pressing on with this.

Metal Sonic, just like everyone else except for Sonic, Tails, and Eggman, were minor characters in Generations. I wasn't talking about how big they were in the series, and Metal's lack of major achievements compared to other characters is the main reason why I also said Metal Sonic doesn't deserve to be a series main character in addition to the fact that he's had very little major appearances.

Okay. well in that case yes. Metal sonic at this point Isn't a MAIN character. He played like 2 important roles in games that really don't let him shine that much. E2 and CD. Although if Sega introduced him more often in games and their plots.(and not that dlc bull) Then I wouldn't have a problem with him being a bigger character. But as of now, even though he's a landmark in Sonic character history, He's not a very important character when it comes down to it. So yeah. It's sad when Silver has a better chance of being more important then you.(although i like silver but really.)

Final Fantasy XIII is one of my favorite RPG's of all ti - oh wait that isn't a Sonic game.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 have both aged decently well from a gameplay and (in some ways) design perspective and I maintain that both games are better than Super Mario 64. I also rather enjoyed the storylines despite the mediocre-at-best scripts.

Sonic 4: Episode 1 is a pretty decent game on its own merits despite its problems. Automation aside, I find the levels to be pretty dang well designed and the physics aren't too big of an issue for me. I had a lot of fun with it and I enjoyed it far more than basically any other console-based Sonic game that came between Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Colors.

In fact, the only Dimps Sonic game I've played that I haven't enjoyed to some extent is Advance 2. Of course, this is bearing in mind that I've never played Unwiished or Generations 3DS (and I think both of them look like total rubbish), but I loved Advance 3 and found Colors DS to be...okay.

Sonic CD is the greatest Sonic game ever. Nothing you can say will convince me otherwise.

Sonic Colors had great writing aside from a few corny jokes and the characterization was spot-on. Finally, characters that AREN'T unforgivably bland!

Oh! I almost forgot:

SONIC HEROES SUCKS

:>

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmmmmm........Jungle Joyride has got to be the worst werehog level in my books. The music is nice I'll give it that. And visually it's stunning. But aside from that, the level is short, The challenges are pish posh easy and the puzzle at the end really isn't that difficult. Oh and the dumb waterfalls that push you down really sometimes annoy me. It's better than eggmanland but is just way to short and dumbed down. A lot of Night act 2 stages are pretty bad actually. ESPECIALLY Dragon Roads. That piece of crap can go live with and have a baby with 06 in hell for all I care.

I... like Sonic Labyrinth. Sure, the story's dumb even by excuse plot standards, but the gameplay's still pretty fun, certainly more so than Sonic 2006.

Your preference for the newer games is a valid one, but to say an older game is only really loved due to nostalgia goggles comes across as arrogant.

Ha ha, I have a lot of these I think, if I can remember them all.

- The classic Sonics were better. Nothing in the series has challenged their place.

- Archie Sonic is great, and not because of SatAM. Steering it towards game canon is bad.

- The Echidnas and their history was awesome. Penders' early work was the best thing in the series for four years.

- Sonic Advance 1 is not a good example of a classic game.

- Sonic Chronicles was a good game that deserved a sequel.

- Knuckles Chaotix was a fun game too. The old Chaotix crew have better designs.

- Crush 40 is overrated. Bon Jovi is not cool either, but they are admittedly better by far.

- I believe Sonic's musical sound originates in funk and freestyle music.

- Chao gardens suck. They're not interactive enough for what they are.

Edited by Badnikz

Less of an opinion and more of an indisputable fact - The fact that Amy predated Sally Acorn. The BAWWING on a stamp I made that pointed this out was hilarious in all of the denial and butthurt.

I read that as predated as in ate Sally Acorn. *facepalm*

I don't see why (some) Sally fans do this at all, I had the same problem, and dismissed under the premise that I was a SoJ - obsessive that was trying to 'kill' the American Canon and 'kill' Sally Acorn, holy cow, I never said a harsh word about Sally, I merely insisted she wasn't SegaSonic.

-As much as I love and respect the original Sonic the Hedgehog it's my least favorite game to replay out of the classic series due to the lack of a spindash. Sonic just doesn't feel right without a "speed up" action via spindash, peelout, air dash, boost, etc.

-While the concept of time travel in Sonic CD is great, it's implementation is ultimately ruined by the slow, blocky level design which makes it even less enjoyable than a certain Advance game.

-I. Fucking. Love. Sandopolis Act 2. Come at me bro.

-I genuinely love Aosth more than any other Sonic cartoon, regardless of it being the source of every youtube poop.

-

-SA1 did the speed, treasure, and shooting stages far better than SA2.

-I feel that SA2 was the point where the series got way too "dark and gritty" for their own good, long before ShtH and '06.

-Sonic Advance 3 is my favorite game in the advance series and yes I find it more fun and replayable than Sonic CD despite some shitty level design.

-I had way more fun with the Unleashed Day stages than the entirety of Colors despite being an objectively better game. I'd rather have a shallow but exhilarating Sonic experience than a slow, monotonous one pretending to be a Mario game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Here's something really controversial:

Part of me wishes that SatAM had never existed, since it seemed to have been one of the major things that splintered the fanbase and put this twisted perception that "Robotnik" was always this threatening menacing complete monster and that Sonic's new friends "replaced" the Freedom Fighters...

Well, if it wasn't that, then something would have come along to splinter things. Hell, I'd wager that Tiara Boobowski would be the current love interest in the games right now (or at least a major character on par with Amy) since the resources leading to her conception weren't weren't partially sunk into SatAM-based concepts that were scrapped before they went to work on the Sonic X-Treme concept, thus giving them more time to complete the game.

-As much as I love and respect the original Sonic the Hedgehog it's my least favorite game to replay out of the classic series due to the lack of a spindash. Sonic just doesn't feel right without a "speed up" action via spindash, peelout, air dash, boost, etc.

This, in fact I would say I don't love the original Sonic game due to this.

Generations Classic Sonic was broken as Sonic 4 Ep.1

overpowered game breaking spamdash,

retarded jump,

rolling doesn't work,

scripted slopes springs and loops,

bounce height fixed etc

Didn't play Sonic 4, but with Sonic generations classic Sonic I felt I was kind of forced to keep spamming the spindash in order to get anywhere, and the momentum was pretty darn bad, the latter probably leading to the former.